Fredrick Square and Fredrick Plaza (84th and Center)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Fredrick Square and Fredrick Plaza (84th and Center)

Post by Brad »

Fredrick Square(NORTH) and Fredrick Plaza(SOUTH) (84th and Center)

Anyone have the plans for Fredrick Square.  Fredrick Square is located on 84th Street Just south of center.  One of the two main tenants, Baker's left a few years ago and a big hole was created between Shopko and the rest of the mall.  Now there is a Darland Construction Trailer out in front.  There is a lot of land here and could have some big possibilities.

I do hope they make this center more pedestrian friendly with the Canfield Plaza.
Last edited by Brad on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Isn't Darland the company that builds all the Burger Kings?  Although it might be another chain, but I know they build fast food places.  If I remember correctly, in the 90th & Center thread it was mentioned BK wanted to get closer to the Interstate.  Several other small stores left Fredrick Square in the last two years.  In April, Liquid Courage is leaving there as well.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Darland Builds a lot of stuff. They are either Buildig the Pinnacle Bank or Hotel out in Southport, I can't remember which one.

BK would be great there.  BK one one side of the enterance and another Fast food on the other side of the Entrance, Find a big tennant to replace Baker's and remodel the strip strip mall they should be fine!
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

Trenton on Grow Omaha mentioned that it is one of his projects while they were discussing new-urban infill projects.....I was left with the impression that they are going the route of new-urbanism but who knows....

I think this area from I-80 along 84th street all the way north to 90th and center should be a massive new urbanism center.  Here's to hoping!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha strip mall owners discover it's renovate or fade away
Omaha World Herald wrote:It's obvious that Frederick Square hasn't been extensively remodeled for at least 30 years. The shopping center south of 84th Street and West Center Road has dull colors, cracked sidewalks and an outdated design. "It's just a tired center," said Trenton Magid, president of Coldwell Banker Commercial World Group, the leasing agent and development consultant for the center. "It's well overdue in getting remodeled."

"Subliminally, people like to go to new and vibrant shopping centers with a sense of life," said Patrice Duker, spokeswoman for the International Council of Shopping Centers. "Centers are renovating because of competition. By renovating and redeveloping storefronts, they are creating a more enjoyable shopping experience."
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Also:
Omaha World Herald wrote:Tara Plaza in Papillion completed more than $1 million in renovations last month, only the second time it has been upgraded since it was built in 1968, said Mike Hogan, president of Hogan and Co., owner of the plaza.

Village Pointe, an open-air mall at 168th Street and West Dodge Road, has been the prototype for several shopping centers seeking a new look. "The reason Village Pointe has been successful from a design standpoint is because it seems like it's (always) been there," Bacon said. "It's a pedestrian-friendly atmosphere."  Managers of nearby Linden Market at 132nd Street and West Dodge Road have taken note.
So the question is: Did Village Pointe spawn these renovations? Are developers trying to create a greater pedestrian-friendly atmosphere?
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Coyote wrote:So the question is: Did Village Pointe spawn these renovations? Are developers trying to create a greater pedestrian-friendly atmosphere?
I would say you are correct.  After Village Pointe opened and numerous new strip malls (with modern more appealing pedestrian features) a bunch of the older strips renovated and updated.  This is very good for Omaha.  Developers are finally realizing how picky Omahans are with design of shopping centers.  Way to go Omaha!!! :yes:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I first asked this question a few weeks ago on the Maple Village thread. It does seem that there are more than a half dozen strip mall renovations going on right now from Maple Village and Tara to what is on the SEC of 132nd and W Center... And the proposed Loveland on 90th & Center that Slosburg is going to make into...

What other mall renovations are going on? What is the Center doing these days?
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Rockbrok just finished and Montclair is near done.
OPlaya
Home Owners Association

Post by OPlaya »

I'd love for Frederick Square to get redone badly.  I go up in there to Krypton Comics and the place just looks dead with that Baker's being gone now.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

It was mentioned else where but One Pacific Place and Harvey Oaks, had a major overhaul. Additionally the little strip mall where Bike Rack used to be just west of the Target at 132nd and Center has been redone, the strip mall behind the Red Lobster at Oak View has been redone but I think that was pre-Village Pointe, they've touched up Westwood Plaza at 120th and Center after K-Mart moved out but it still looks crappy, I thought there was one across from the former backwards Taco Bell at 72nd and Dodge that was redone, and, although not a strip mall, Regency of course was redone extensively....these are all the ones I came up with scanning Google Earth.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

OPlaya wrote:I'd love for Frederick Square to get redone badly.  I go up in there to Krypton Comics and the place just looks dead with that Baker's being gone now.
I asked the guys at Krypton about leaving, and they have no interest.  They say business is good at that location.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
bmo372
New to the Neighborhood

Post by bmo372 »

LB Sports Cards as well as Krypton Comics I think do fairly well over there.  I have been in those stores recently and there always seems to 4 or more people each time.  As far as a makeover, it would do wonders since Baker's moved out.[/b]
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

LB Sports cards are still there? Dang, I bought baseball cards there when I was 12.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

bradley414 wrote:LB Sports cards are still there? Dang, I bought baseball cards there when I was 12.
-I LOVE that they are still there.  If only the card shop off of 84th and L were still there.

Anyway, I hope they do something nice with this center.  It, along with the Mangelsons' shopping center are starting to look a bit worn.
bmo372
New to the Neighborhood

Post by bmo372 »

It is funny how the more things change the more they stay the same, I now take my kids there to buy cards.  And they have some cool grown up kid stuff too.  Are there any other card shops like that in town?  It would be fun to show my kids the different places.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

bmo372 wrote:It is funny how the more things change the more they stay the same, I now take my kids there to buy cards.  And they have some cool grown up kid stuff too.  Are there any other card shops like that in town?  It would be fun to show my kids the different places.
-I always see a sign for one in the bowling alley off of 132nd and L.  I have never been in there though.
Hoop
Home Owners Association

Post by Hoop »

Anything on the Old Wal-Mart building in La Vista (84th St)?  This seems like one of those shopping centers that could use a serious face lift.  Most of the smaller businesses have reported a significant drop in sales since Wal-mart left and I don't foresee any large Anchor store going in without some updates.  I would hate to see the remaining businesses either close or re-locate to Shadow-Lake or Market Point to the South because they are new and more inviting to shoppers, although some have already done so.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I agree Hoop. This area really needs a facelift and parking lot maintenance. Across the street La Vista lost Gordman's. I have not heard of anyone being interested in the Wal-Mart property yet. La Vista lost that tax base and has really hurt in this time of transition before revenue from SouthPort starts coming in. That - and with the $* Mill the city is spending putting in a parking lot at South Port the city coffers are low.

Welcome to the forum Hoop.
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

Hoop wrote:Anything on the Old Wal-Mart building in La Vista (84th St)?
last night i was at horseshoe playing blackjack and this guy sits next to me and we began chatting and turns out he is on the city council for la vista. i asked him about the now vacant wal-mart and he said that sears was looking at it. he said sears planned on opening x amount of stores in 2006 but since the wal mart site was not vacant yet (due to the battle between developers and nearby neighborhoods) la vista lost out. asked him about southport and he didnt have much details except for 3 hotels going up, cabellas, some fast food places, etc. i asked him about any sit down restaurants and shopping and said that they have numerous proposals but hasnt heard about possible tentants.
Hoop
Home Owners Association

La Vista Empty Wal-Mart

Post by Hoop »

Thanks for the info UNO, this sounds like the normal political answer from a council member.  From what I hear La Vista City Hall is as tight lipped on development as they come.  Looks like the old Wal-Mart is all cleaned out after an auction last week and waiting a new tenant, I don't see the owner looking to hard since Wal-Mart still has the lease through 2010.  Wal-Mart realty has an interest in getting someone to Sub-Lease the place.  I had heard about Sears a couple years ago as well, the last comment I read was in 2003, when Sears bought out K-Mart they were going to put a new Sears with a new format in La Vista, but that all fell through with the Papillion law suit dragging on.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here is what Fredrick Square NEEDS to do!

There is no connectivity in this area.  Its one big MESS of roads that don't connect.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

of course the city has to codify the overlay district thingy first.  Minor problem.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Things may be in the works already. Remember - Slosburg is putting up two MU buildings on the NWC of 90th and Center and they own the Loveland strip mall and all the houses to the east of the mall which he will most likely develop in the future. Now if someone would get the development going east along Center towards Frederick Square this are could really turn into something special.

It makes you wonder how these pockets naturally develop. Who started the Regency redevelopment. After the Golden Spike theater was torn down how did Miracle Hills Plaza begin? I avoid 84th St except when I need to get to La Casa's West. But this area could use an Extreme Makeover.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

First of all, The roads are whats most important to me.  I just drew up this quick sketch to show how I would like the roads.  Before you build anything that is going to attract more people to the area the infrastructure needs to be improved.  

As far as the buildings I just threw in the 4 buildings to give a quick Example.  If you wanted a huge retail/Office/residential, I would want them to tear out the strip malls, plan all new roads and such to make use of all the empty land behind the old Baker's

Also I want some MAJOR pedestrian features in this whole area to connect Mangleson's, Fredrick Square, and 90th and Center.

There is huge potential in this area and I don't want to see the owner slap a new front on Fredrick Square and Call it good.

If I get some spare time I will add more.

midtown charlie
Human Relations

For just slapping some roads on the map that's quite impressive.  What program did you use.  It sounds like we are all on the same page.  I would rather not see anyone do a "Montclair on Center" with this strip-mall, when much more is needed.  There is a phenomenal opportunity awaiting this area.  I hope we don't blow it.  

Coyote you are right.  That is why I think the timing of this is so critical.  That project could easily extend all the way to 84th and I-80 in scope.  With multiple players and also taking 10+ years to develop.  

Doesn't Tenton's company own Frederick's square?  Maybe he will want to do something special with this property since he is a Westside grad????
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

midtown charlie wrote:For just slapping some roads on the map that's quite impressive.  What program did you use?
AutoCAD
midtown charlie wrote: Coyote you are right.  That is why I think the timing of this is so critical.  That project could easily extend all the way to 84th and I-80 in scope.  With multiple players and also taking 10+ years to develop.
Now is ABSOUTELY the time!
midtown charlie wrote: Doesn't Tenton's company own Frederick's square?  Maybe he will want to do something special with this property since he is a Westside grad????
Yes, World Group does own it.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I consider this my "neighborhood".  It does have an awful lot of potential.  Someone with vision (similar to Aksarben Village or the Mutual project) needs to to work with the city to come up with something dynamic.  Right now the area is an eyesore.  I am happy that big improvements are planned for the 90th and Center Street area.  It needed it!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Ok I added some more:
SaOmaha
Library Board

Post by SaOmaha »

Brad, your concepts for the shopping center are wishful thinking and may make good sense but in really, Frederick Square, like many other shopping centers in west Omaha, are getting a face lift or a beauty treatment.

Today, while I was taking photos (below) I visited with the construction site supervisor from Durland construction.  He showed me the plans for the shopping center. Just like the illustration on the sign below, Frederick Square will have storefront covered walks with brick columns.  Also the parking lot will be replaced.  The new lot will have islands with trees at the end of each row of cars. When it is all Done, It will be like a new shopping center on the edge of town.  Then 84th Street eyesore is gone!

The “construction” sign at 84th street entrance. The illustration of remodeled shopping center is at bottom of sign.  

The West side (former Baker’s), North of Shopko

The North Side - Note, the covered storefront/walk is gone.

Where is the sidewalk? Mr. Movie is history.

The North Side “Bare storefront”

The Corner is Bbare; the 99¢ theater is long gone.  

Getting read to dress up the former Baker’s store entrances

The view of Frederick Square south from the Center Street
Pedestrian Bridge. Canfield's Plaza is in the foreground.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looks like its going to be real nice when done.  Did you go back and see if the movie theater was still intact in the corner, The Gemni 2, I believe it was called.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

It's been gone for at least 15 years or more hasn't it?  Seems like it was some sort of tax accounting office last time I was back there (way back in the 90's).

When I was a kid I used to go to some sort of weekly, summer movies which they had there... it was sort of a 'subscription' movie going kind of deal.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:It's been gone for at least 15 years or more hasn't it?  Seems like it was some sort of tax accounting office last time I was back there (way back in the 90's).

When I was a kid I used to go to some sort of weekly, summer movies which they had there... it was sort of a 'subscription' movie going kind of deal.
Someone told me that the previous owner of the strip mall kept it there in hope of getting in another company to run it, but that has been a while.  I never make it in to that corner.  Actually I never go to anything in that strip mall but the Shopko or FNB.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Interesting... perhaps the tenant I saw was just operating out of the lobby. :)

That would be neat if they opened it up as an indie theatre or something.  I really don't see it making it as a mainstream film theatre with Cinema Center still dominating the local movie scene.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The area to the north needs more than a face life.... a bulldozer.

There is a lot of potential in the area, I hope the new 120th and L shopping center doesn't kill it.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

And Bel-Aire recently raised the rent on their tenants. Used Fine Books decided it wasn't worth it and moved to Dundee. I wonder how many more they might lose after they see the renovations to Westwood. That hasn't looked good since Richman Gordman's Dept store and Hinky Dinky were the anchors.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update, really moving along:

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks for the update Brad - but after looking at this - which is really a great improvement - it looks exactly like all the other improvements that have swept through these strip malls. Did all these developers read the same Renovations for Dummy's book? False Façade For You? Will these look 'old' in 20 years from now - "Oh - that looks so 2005" or am I way off here.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

I agree - it definitely appears that anything Seldin touches gets this beige/tan cultured stone look going on. And, when they all get to "that" point again in the future, they're probably going to read the same book at that time :)

Hey, at least no one else is building anything that looks like that tin man building on 120th & Blondo - it's been there for some time now, but really - someone thought that was cool?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Its not Seldin, its Coldwell Banker Commercial World Group.