Fredrick Square and Fredrick Plaza (84th and Center)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Funny though... they stuck with the 70's glass globe lighting fixtures. :)

Or is that old stuff ?

Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I think its old, these are new:

Dreamer
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Dreamer »

My husband is the store manager of the Shopko there.  We are now hearing that the old Bakers building is going to be split in half or in thirds.    Suposedly Panera Bread and Wild Oats Market is coming but just a rumor for now.  Across the street they would like to tear everything down and put in a Lowes or Home Depot.    I will update later when I know more info.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Dreamer wrote:My husband is the store manager of the Shopko there.  We are now hearing that the old Bakers building is going to be split in half or in thirds.    Suposedly Panera Bread and Wild Oats Market is coming but just a rumor for now.  Across the street they would like to tear everything down and put in a Lowes or Home Depot.    I will update later when I know more info.
I hope you are not dreaming... dreamer, that would be GREAT for the area if they could pull that off.

Isn't wild oats in financial trouble?
agibson95
Home Owners Association

Post by agibson95 »

Dreamer wrote:My husband is the store manager of the Shopko there.  We are now hearing that the old Bakers building is going to be split in half or in thirds.    Suposedly Panera Bread and Wild Oats Market is coming but just a rumor for now.  Across the street they would like to tear everything down and put in a Lowes or Home Depot.    I will update later when I know more info.
Tear down Mangelsens? That will never happen.

Maybe you are talking about the Good Will. Thats possible.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Isn't wild oats in financial trouble?
Didn't Whole Foods just buy out Wild Oats.

Thanks for that info Dreamer. Where is the "Across the Street"?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote: Thanks for that info Dreamer. Where is the "Across the Street"?
Mangelson's, Good Will, Flashbacks, etc...

I talked to a person that is very close to the situation tonight.  I guess the Mangelson's plaza is for sale.  There was a deal in place that fell through, but I guess deal number 2 is in the works.  So specifics were given on the deals.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

I can't imagine Mangelsen's closing/moving? Does David own the plaza presently, or do they simply lease their space? I would think w/ the name being centered around their store it's their center? But, I suppose w/ the 90th & Center activity & so on, who knows what's going on - the 84th & Center intersection is a pain in the |expletive|, though. The lanes change funny at the light, especially when going northbound through the intersection.

D
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Rodgers development owns everything south of Hascall, Spring Ventures owns everything to the north.
Dreamer
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Dreamer »

A few months ago they were talking about Mangelsens moving over to the Bakers Store but that didn't work out.They decided to split up the old Bakers store because of the size.  

I don't know who owns the Wild Oats but I did notice that Whole Foods Market has really cut back on departments. Now they have added normal milk in there along with the soy milk. They tore down the whole candy section and put bar stools in and tables. There used to fresh sugared candies and chocolate covered strawberries .   They have cut back on the deli salads not as many the meat department section is now filled with wine and beer  not as much fresh bread in the bakery.    So many things get throw away so they must be cutting back.    I go over there maybe every three or four months.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looks to be about done:

Dreamer
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Dreamer »

Hey thanks for taking a picture of my husbands blue  truck.I showed him your pictures and he started laughing.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

According to Trenton Magid on the Grow Omaha Radio Program.  First National will be building a new Branch on the Fredrick Square Property.
Dreamer
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Dreamer »

I now hear they are tearing down the BP gas station by Shopko and the little strip mall and building a Bucky's gas station there.
a42887
Home Owners Association

Post by a42887 »

It's possible, but the BP there is currently owned by Anderson, which is Buchanan's (Bucky's) major competition in Omaha, so it would be a tad odd.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Gaeta's to close doors after 27-year run

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3 ... d=10383105
NICHOLE AKSAMIT WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:By this time next month, another of Omaha's old-time spaghetti-and-steak restaurants will have closed.

Joe and Josephine Gaeta said this week that lease uncertainty with a new landlord, their own advancing age and the untimely deaths of two of their children are forcing them to reluctantly end what has been a family affair for 27 years
NICHOLE AKSAMIT WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Joe Sr. said he foresaw the closing after a local gas station company purchased the center that houses his restaurant and "wouldn't say anything" about what might happen with Gaeta's current lease, which expires this fall.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I heard tonight that the bird feeder store is moving to Gaeta's location, they are going to tear down the Gas Station and the east 1/2 of the strip mall and then Buckey's is going to build a new station.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Brad wrote:I heard tonight that the bird feeder store is moving to Gaeta's location, they are going to tear down the Gas Station and the east 1/2 of the strip mall and then Buckey's is going to build a new station.
I go into the bird seed store a lot.  I will have to ask them next time what the plans are.
SaOmaha
Library Board

Post by SaOmaha »

Today I went by Frederick Square and notce the Original First National Branch building and the adjunct gas station on the N.W. corner of 84th and Frederick has been knocked down.
a42887
Home Owners Association

Post by a42887 »

SaOmaha wrote:Today I went by Frederick Square and notce the Original First National Branch building and the adjunct gas station on the N.W. corner of 84th and Frederick has been knocked down.
The Westgate Hi-Tech Auto Care shop that was located in the now demolished gas station building has moved to 122nd & W Center Rd, into the former BP / West Center Auto building.  They have already almost finished the rebranding and now will be pumping Phillips 66 gas.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=41.2 ... 3&t=h&z=19
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I was noticing the other night that now that the gas station and bank are gone, you have a great view of the strip mall and they seem to be gaining a good amount of tenants.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I stopped in the bird store on the south side of Frederick yesterday and the lady working their told me that they are hoping to move to the old Gaeta's by November, but the landlord is keeping them in the dark about a timetable.  The store refuses to move after early November until the end of the holiday season for obvious reasons.  The BP gas store has apparently closed as part of the plan of Bucky's to slice off the east 30 feet of the strip mall for their new gas station.  Like anyone needs another Bucky's!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nativeomahan wrote:Like anyone needs another Bucky's!

Between 84th and Fredrick, 84th and Center and 90th and Center, there use to be 5 gas stations now there is 1 and when Bucky's reopens, 2, I think they are positioned right.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Brad wrote:

Between 84th and Fredrick, 84th and Center and 90th and Center, there use to be 5 gas stations now there is 1 and when Bucky's reopens, 2, I think they are positioned right.
This station is replacing an existing station, so no new stations are being added.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nativeomahan wrote:
Brad wrote:

This station is replacing an existing station, so no new stations are being added.

I know, if it makes it easier... two now, two later!
SaOmaha
Library Board

Post by SaOmaha »

Saturday, I went by Frederick Square on my way to Hot shops Open House just north of the Qwest Center, I saw the beginning of the steel frame for new First National Branch building on the north west corner of 84th & Fredrick. Also the gas station on southwest corner is gone.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

SaOmaha wrote:Saturday, I went by Frederick Square on my way to Hot shops Open House just north of the Qwest Center, I saw the beginning of the steel frame for new First National Branch building on the north west corner of 84th & Fredrick. Also the gas station on southwest corner is gone.
Not that there was much there, but that gas station was gone in one day.  The FNB seems to be a way more substantial structure than the old one.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here is the new First National Bank in Council Bluffs, I hope th new one at Fredrick Sqaure uses some of these design features:

windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

The new bank building will not resemble the one pictured above.  It looks much like another that I have seen elsewhere in the metro.  I can not believe how large the new building looks from the street.
where the corn meets the concrete
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

The bank appears to be mostly enclosed now and work is commencing on the interior.  Remodel also appears to be wrapping up on the old Getas location, I will assume the bird store will be moving soon.  Finally there is a construction trailer on site for the future gas station.
JPenny
Home Owners Association

Post by JPenny »

ive only seen the sign briefly but it looks as if there will be a new strip mall and another building on the southeast corner of 84th and center
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Is is the the old cinema center building that is being converted?
JPenny
Home Owners Association

Post by JPenny »

no its directly on that corner. phones plus? i think thats what its called? closed and the rock bottom cafe? took down its signs but still looked open. the sign is in front of the old gas station that recently turned into a business that sells grave stones. it looked like there will be a strip mall and another building (probably the bar)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

As far as I am concerned, a strip mall replacing all three of those buildings would be an improvement.  However, I would rather see office or something go in there, that area is saturated with strip malls.
JPenny
Home Owners Association

Post by JPenny »

Brad wrote:As far as I am concerned, a strip mall replacing all three of those buildings would be an improvement.  However, I would rather see office or something go in there, that area is saturated with strip malls.
i agree with that. they are eye sores. that whole corridor has seen a lot of activity recently.
SaOmaha
Library Board

Post by SaOmaha »

Past few days, There has been a short discussion above on the planned development on the S.E. Corner of 84th & Center.  Today I took a walk around the site – The former gas station, Rock Bottom Cafe & Bar and the Phone Plus store . There would be room for two short retail and Office building.

View Of Gas Station / Rock Bottom Café from NW Corner

The Sign on the S.E. Corner

J.F BLOOM  & Co @ former Gas Station

Closed Rock Bottom Café.

The back of the Cafe. This picture were taken from the SE corner of the property  

Now empty Phone Plus Store  
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Thanks for the pictures.

I'm glad to see that at least one building in the rendering is two-stories. I wish they were both, maybe even three, with retail on the 1st floor.

Oh well. It looks like a great improvement to that corner. I hope Rock Bottom cafe re-opens in the new development.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

From the looks of those renderings, that area will be greatly improved.
JPenny
Home Owners Association

Post by JPenny »

Thanks for getting those pics. its nice to be able to look at the rendering for more than 2 seconds as i drive by! this is a good addition to the area. Those 3 buildings this replaces were eyesores.  It will be interesting to see how they put all this up. im not sure how all of this will fit on these lots unless there is more room than i thought...
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I was always intrigued by the Rock Bottom Cafe and meant to go. If it's still open, I'll try to go before it gets knocked down.