Lakeside Hospital (168 and Center)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Lakeside Hospital (168 and Center)

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

From an email I received from our friend Jeff Beals:

'I have some good news:  Alegent Health will be making “a major economic-development-related announcement on Friday, Feb. 2nd.”  Interestingly, Wayne Sensor, President & CEO, is going to be our guest on Grow Omaha the following morning to talk about it.'..

Sounds great!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Purely a guess on my part, but the logical place for growth for them would most likely be an addition or possibly a second tower at Lakeside Hospital.  I'm a supplier to Alegent's laboratory services at all of the hospitals, and Lakeside has grown quicker than anyone could have imagined.  They are running at or close to full capacity (bed-wise) nearly all the time at that site.

It might be hard to get more info, but I'll talk to my lab contacts and see if I can find anything.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

an addition doesnt seem to me to be a "major economic-development".  That may have to do with accessibility to healthcare, but does it make that big of an economic difference?  I think there is something more.
mchine73
Home Owners Association

Post by mchine73 »

Always put "major" announcement into perspective, I think we all remember the NFM major announcement.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Yeah, my source has Alegent acquiring the Mayo Clinic.  They're moving the entire operation to Omaha, downtown into a 50 story tower to be called... the Medical Arts Center.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Stargazer wrote:Yeah, my source has Alegent acquiring the Mayo Clinic.  They're moving the entire operation to Omaha, downtown into a 50 story tower to be called... the Medical Arts Center.
well played
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Stargazer wrote:Yeah, my source has Alegent acquiring the Mayo Clinic.  They're moving the entire operation to Omaha, downtown into a 50 story tower to be called... the Medical Arts Center.
Gee,  I heard it was 53 stories! :mrgreen:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Interesting. I heard this was going to be on a campus just south of where Coventry is being developed. A research campus with a 250 - 350 bed unit, but no building larger than 12 stories, the hotel associated with it would be from 10 - 12 stories. They just built that water treatment plant with this and Coventry's campus in mind.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

:lol: ..

Comedy act auditions notwithstanding. This should be an interesting announcement indeed..If I score any additional intel before Friday, I'll post it here..

Remember the words 'major economic development-related announcement' actually comes from Alegent Heath..It could mean anything..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Ben called it, down to a T....:

Tower Addition to Double Lakeside Hospital's Capacity
Less than three years since it opened on Omaha's western fringe, Lakeside Hospital will launch a major expansion. Alegent Health plans to double its newest hospital's capacity with a four-story tower in the rear. Construction of the $52 million, 105,000-square-foot addition is to begin by summer and wrap up in mid-2009.

"We are nearing our capacity and feel like it's within our mission and responsibility to respond to that demand," Alegent CEO Wayne Sensor said

Alegent president Richard Hachten said the new wing is virtually the same size as the existing hospital, minus the support space. When the addition opens in 2009, he said, the fourth floor will be unfinished. Current projections suggest the hospital will need to complete the area for the 32 beds on that floor sometime after 2010.

Sensor said Lakeside employs about 500 nurses, therapists and other support staff. The expansion will prompt the hiring of an additional 150 people by the end of 2009.
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... id=2324193
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Great news.

But there's no such thing as a four-story tower.  That's ridiculous that they're calling it that.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

I don't like to gloat, but damn, that was one heck of an accurate guess on my part.  It wasn't so out of left field though, when you look at the hard #s of the situation.  That's the fastest growing area in the metro, Alegent's smallest current hospital (not counting their rural health facilities), and plenty of docs and wealthy patients like the newer facility, less crowd, and easier parking than coming into the midtown area for one of the many hospitals further east.  I believe that this addition was even factored into the original "master plan" for the hospital as a potential way to expand.  In reality, Lakeside is quickly becoming Alegent's 3rd busiest hospital (after Bergan Mercy and Immanuel), and this addition will only speed this along.

Streets, don't get worked up on the "tower" lingo.  Its just hospital speak.  "Tower" is anything in a hospital over a couple of stories.  Just like "wing" can be a hallway, or "pavilion" can be a small side building with offices.  Medical people, docs especially, like to make themselves feel important.  

I'm excited.  More beds = more lab tests = more business for me.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Better service..More jobs..150 over the course of the next couple of years..Any announcement of more jobs in metro Omaha is great news to me..

And remember, Wayne Sensor, President & CEO of Alegent Health will be on Grow Omaha this Saturday morning (8AM 1110 KFAB)..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Lakeside Hospital Update:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update: