78th & Dodge - Duluth Trading Co - Former CompUSA, Staples

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

78th & Dodge - Duluth Trading Co - Former CompUSA, Staples

Post by nebugeater »

I have read elsewhere today that CompUSA is closing 128 of its 229 stores.  When you go to the CompUSA web site and select Nebraska it says that there are no stores in Nebraska.   Does anyone have any insight in the Omaha store being closed?

http://www.compusa.com/locations/store" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. ... e=NE&type=
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/sit ... ewsLang=en

Some verification from BUSINESS WIRE
February 27, 2007 06:34 PM Eastern Time

DALLAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--As part of its plan to realign the organization, CompUSA today announced a comprehensive strategy to improve the company's financial status. The realignment includes a cash infusion, store closures, major expense reductions and a corporate restructuring.

As part of CompUSA's realignment strategy, the company will receive a $440 million cash capital infusion. The financial boost will be designated to improve the company's balance sheet.

"Based on changing conditions in the consumer retail electronics market, the company identified the need to close and sell stores with low performance or non strategic, old store layouts and locations faced with market saturation. The process began last week with the closing of four CompUSA stores and over the next 60-90 days, the company will close a total of 126 stores in the United States to focus on initiatives that enhance its top performing locations," said Roman Ross, chief executive officer, CompUSA.

CompUSA will continue to offer products and services at 1-800-CompUSA and online at compusa.com, providing more than 80,000 items for consumers and small and medium businesses, along with top-notch technical service from CompUSA TechPro.

Today's announcement allows the company to focus its efforts and ensure a strong presence in its 103 stores in 39 states and Puerto Rico.
Asten
Human Relations

Re: CompUSA closing in Omaha?

Post by Asten »

nebugeater wrote:I have read elsewhere today that CompUSA is closing 128 of its 229 stores.  When you go to the CompUSA web site and select Nebraska it says that there are no stores in Nebraska.   Does anyone have any insight in the Omaha store being closed?

http://www.compusa.com/locations/store. ... e=NE&type=
My understanding is that yes, it is closing.  Not sure of the timeframe, but sooner rather than later.   Kinda sucks, too.  It's an annoying place sometimes, but about the only place I know of I can buy more obscure computing components.   I'm sure there's smaller stores and I'd love to shop at them, but I haven't a clue where they are.
camps
New to the Neighborhood

Post by camps »

Great, now we're stuck with DIT and their horrible customer service.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

A list of remaining stores  _ Omaha isn't on it.  It is interesting that Omaha for its size couldnt support a Circuit City and not a CompUSA.  Does NFM take that much business from those type of stores?

http://www.compusa.com/locations/store.asp
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Uffda wrote:Does NFM take that much business from those type of stores?
They always have 24 or 36 months interest free.
Also, I usually go there because I like to support my local companies.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

I haven't been to the CompUSA in Omaha since the Applestore opened.  I think a thread was started a while back bashing the service and knowledge of the employee's there.  Are they going to have a going out of business sale?  I could purchase my new iMac sooner rather then later....
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Omaha (#544) Blowout List

Products updated as of: 2/27/2007 5:06:57 AM

http://www.compusa.com/specials/storebl ... out544.htm

not much apple stuff listed
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

I just called Comp here in Omaha this afternoon, and the manager said he wasn't sure exactly when this location was going to be closing. But, he did say it most likely would be within the next 60 days. Also, I asked about a "store closing sale" and he didn't know yet whether or not corporate would authorize that, or if they would end up shipping all of their merchandise elsewhere.

Just thought I'd throw that out.

And also, someone mentioned the Mart and shutting down competitors & honestly, yes, they kill the big guys in our market. When I worked there (for 10 years, btw), it was amazing to see how they affected others in the area. Circuit probably would have survived had they opened up out west somewhere, however they wanted to be centrally located to compete w/ Best Buy on Dodge, not necessarily the Mart. That ended up being a BIG mistake obviously.

Best Buy is by far their largest pain in their side, and everyone knows how long it took BB to open up just 2 stores, with 3 just now coming along, and a couple others soon.

The one thing the Mart does though that is sometimes frustrating, is that they'll actually drop one of their brands or vendors if a store like BB keeps hammering down the pricing. For instance, Gateway PCs were at the Mart, but BB continued to throw them in their ads at $100-$200 under the Mart's prices, so the Mart said "see ya" to them. Doesn't happen often, but they've done it. Kinda makes the price matching policy a bit more difficult to use, but I see their side of it as well...

D
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

djc311 wrote:
Best Buy is by far their largest pain in their side, and everyone knows how long it took BB to open up just 2 stores, with 3 just now coming along, and a couple others soon.

D
Minor correction.  There are 3 BB currently in the metro with a 4th soon to open.   Dodge St.,  VP,  and Council Bluffs.  Soon to open ( March 23) the 72nd & Hwy 370 location.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Uh, isn't the 72nd and Sorenson one open now too?
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

There is no Best Buy up this way  (72nd and sorensen)
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Wasn't there also one rumored to be built at 120th & L?
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

My bad. I thought they had built one up there.  :?
GaryFL
Home Owners Association

Post by GaryFL »

Could this be another example of a national trend manifesting itself in Omaha? On one of the Crossroads threads, somebody made the point that mall music stores like Sam Goody are losing business to iTunes and other web retailers. Might the same thing be happening to CompUSA? In addition to Best Buy, I imagine they're also losing market share to the web. When I need software, I usually get it from Amazon, or direct from the publisher. If I need a new computer I buy it from Dell's website. And if I need repairs, I'm sure as heck not going to CompUSA; their service department is awful. I really have no reason to set foot in the store.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Proof is in the picture:
mwegener
Home Owners Association

CompUSA rebate warning

Post by mwegener »

Just a warning for everyone!  In listening to the GEARLOG podcast this week they had an item that stated the rebates are NO GOOD at a store that is closing. This only applies to stores that are closing!  They did some research and found in the 'ultra-super-small print'  that this is true.  SO if you do go and buy something, be sure that you aren't going to have to send in tons of rebates (like you always have to at Comp USA.)

Just a heads up

- Mark  :music:
http://www.omahaculture.com
Omahaculture@cox.net

WEEKLY PODCAST - Subscribe for FREE! Via ITunes or OMAHACULTURE.LIBSYN.COM.  You don't need an IPod ask me how
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I was in there yesterday (3/14) and there are NO Returns signs up and most discounts were only 5-10%.  I didn't see any real bargains that I couldn't live without.  :lol:
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

CompUSA must be cutting down in this area all together, I was just down in Shawnee Mission, KS (suburb of KC) this past weekend, and I saw that the store there is closing down as well. It had all the same banners up and they had people on nearly every nearby intersection advertising a going out of business sale. Is this just local cuts or is CompUSA going under?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

gisbuxfan wrote:CompUSA must be cutting down in this area all together, I was just down in Shawnee Mission, KS (suburb of KC) this past weekend, and I saw that the store there is closing down as well. It had all the same banners up and they had people on nearly every nearby intersection advertising a going out of business sale. Is this just local cuts or is CompUSA going under?
Start reading from the begining of the thread  !   :mrgreen:

They are closing 128 of their 229 stores across the country.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Oddly enough... they're keeping their Des Moines and Wichita stores open.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

Perhaps they just couldn't compete with the Mart.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Anyone been over this way lately?  Is there anything left?  What % off are they at?  I though  I remember hearing that they would be open through May 1 liquidating if stuff was left.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Anyone been over this way lately?  Is there anything left?  What % off are they at?  I though  I remember hearing that they would be open through May 1 liquidating if stuff was left.
roomate was there today, almost nothing left.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I believe that I heard On the Grow Omaha Min with Jeff B. this AM on KFAB that Staples Office Supply was going into this location.  It may have been the Comp USA location too but I am sure I heard 72nd street and wasn't listening close enough.  I did listen when he went on to say that they we rumored to be adding three locations and the other two included CB and somewhere on West Center.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

From the Email:
Brad,

It’s actually going into the old CompUSA space at 78 and Dodge.

Jeff
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:From the Email:
Brad,

It’s actually going into the old CompUSA space at 78 and Dodge.

Jeff
Thanks for checking and clarifing!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I have never been into a Staples store, although there has been one in Fremont for several years.  They obviously advertise nationally, as we have all seen there "Easy Button" ads.

Good to see empty store fronts filled.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Good to see this development.  I have never been to Staples, although one of there stores has been open for several years in nearby Fremont.

Obviously Staples is a national chain, what with all the TV advertising we have all grown used to seeing ("Easy Button").

I am happy that this large empty store front will soon be filled.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Staples coming to Omaha
Omaha World Herald wrote:Staples Inc., the world's largest office-supplies chain, plans to enter the Omaha market with a store in the former CompUSA building at the northeast corner of 78th and Dodge Streets. The 20,000-square-foot store is scheduled to open by April 2008 and will employ about 30 people, said Amy Shanler, spokeswoman for the Framingham, Mass.-based retailer.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

Well, obviously some people still see the 72nd & Dodge St. area (or technically 78th) as the edge of town, too!

"We chose this location to conveniently serve the businesses and residents of northwest Omaha and surrounding communities," Shanler said.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Apparently they are doing major renovations to this building. Staples is not scheduled to open until April.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Apparently they are doing major renovations to this building. Staples is not scheduled to open until April.
But they were working on the sign yesterday.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

There is a bunch of cars in the parking lot everyday.  I'm guessing they are doing a bunch of work inside and taking a look at the dumpsters that get filled I'd say they are moving at a very good clip.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

R.I.P. CompUSA:

CompUSA is sold; will close all stores
Struggling consumer electronics retailer will offer big holiday discounts

MSNBC wrote:Consumer electronics retailer CompUSA said Friday it will close its store operations after the holidays following sale of the company to Gordon Brothers Group LLC, a restructuring firm. Financial terms weren't disclosed. CompUSA operates 103 stores, which plan to run store-closing sales during the holidays.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

CompUSA sale leads to closing of stores
Omaha World Herald wrote:The company closed more than half its stores, including Omaha's at 78th and Dodge Streets, this spring and got a cash infusion of $440 million to restructure. Dallas-based CompUSA has struggled for nearly a decade with falling prices on personal computers, its most important product, and competition from larger retailers such as Best Buy. Privately held CompUSA, controlled by Mexican financier Carlos Slim Helu's Grupo Carso SA, said discussions were under way to sell certain remaining stores in key markets. Stores that can't be sold will be closed.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Update:

Coyote
City Council

Re: Staples to Replace CompUSA (78th and Dodge)

Post by Coyote »

Staples to close 225 stores as sales move online

With Radio Shack closing store, now Staples, looks like theses industries are really struggling to stay afloat...
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

As Brix attests... obviously I can't pick a loser (although I never thought American Outfitters would make it either, I can't believe Urban Outfitters is still hanging on)... but I'm rather surprised that the 78th and Dodge location has continued to stay open this long. There's virtually no cars there at any time (well, at least until Advance Auto joined them)... I'd have to guess they've been surviving off of corporate business alone.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Stargazer wrote:As Brix attests... obviously I can't pick a loser (although I never thought American Outfitters would make it either, I can't believe Urban Outfitters is still hanging on)... but I'm rather surprised that the 78th and Dodge location has continued to stay open this long.  There's virtually no cars there at any time (well, at least until Advance Auto joined them)... I'd have to guess they've been surviving off of corporate business alone.
I don't think that I've seen more than 10 people in any Omaha area office supply retail store outside of back to school season. Business fulfillment is where the money is at.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum