Nebraska Crossing Outlet Mall(Gretna)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Nebraska Crossing Outlet Mall(Gretna)

Post by skinzfan23 »

H&M expected to open here on August 10th.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Puma joining the tenant mix.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

The Nebraska Crossing Outlets near Gretna will expand again with a new anchor tenant: a TJ Maxx/HomeGoods store.

It is scheduled to open in summer 2019.
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here is the link:
Nebraska Crossing outlet mall will expand; new stores are on the way

The outlet center now is 360,000 square feet; the expansion will add 38,000 square feet. And Yates said he’s got a list of tenants on a waiting list that could add another 100,000 square feet to the center at exit 432 on Interstate 80 between Omaha and Lincoln.

As it marks five years, the center’s management is thanking customers with a free concert at the outlets on Dec. 1. Scheduled to appear at 8 p.m. on that day is country music singer Kane Brown.
For comparison:
Des Moines Outlets: 300,000 sq ft, 75% leased
Tanger Outlets, Williamsburg, IA: 276,000 sq ft, 96% leased
Nebraska Crossing: 398,000 sq ft, 100% leased
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Anyone see where they are going to build this? I have not found anything. At some point they are going to need to buy property that is for sale across the access road on the N side of the mall. Parking is already and issue many times and not just at the holidays.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

On another note the Corningware, Corelle store closed with the last day last Sunday. As I understand it talking to an employee there the Corp is not renewing leases as they come up. They told me that there was already someone lined up to fill the space but didn't know who.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

nebugeater wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:27 am Anyone see where they are going to build this? I have not found anything. At some point they are going to need to buy property that is for sale across the access road on the N side of the mall. Parking is already and issue many times and not just at the holidays.
I was wondering the same thing. Purchasing that farm land is one way, though they can take up more of the parking space. But there lies the challenge they face; adding sq. ft. and retail space while keeping it cohesive and walkable, and for it not to make the parking situation worse. Maybe a parking garage is the answer? They are not always evil, particularly since there is no other way to get to the outlets, except to drive. Also, where in the world are they hosting their planned Kane Brown concert? The parking lot?
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

I have heard they are planning to build a parking garage. If I remember correctly, don't the owners of Nebraska Crossing also own the Legends Outlets in Kansas City? There is good sized parking garage there.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

ita wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:46 am
nebugeater wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:27 am Anyone see where they are going to build this? I have not found anything. At some point they are going to need to buy property that is for sale across the access road on the N side of the mall. Parking is already and issue many times and not just at the holidays.
I was wondering the same thing. Purchasing that farm land is one way, though they can take up more of the parking space. But there lies the challenge they face; adding sq. ft. and retail space while keeping it cohesive and walkable, and for it not to make the parking situation worse. Maybe a parking garage is the answer? They are not always evil, particularly since there is no other way to get to the outlets, except to drive. Also, where in the world are they hosting their planned Kane Brown concert? The parking lot?
AS I see it if they but more ground it replace parking and maybe provides some growth opportunities for some free standing things like a restaurant. The current parking would be then freed up for expansion and that is where it needs to be to be walk able.

As for Legacy in KC, I am not sure that they have the same ownership but I believe they do or did use the same partner for at least the initial leasing of the mall.
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

On Grow Omaha, Johanna Boston from Nebraska Crossing said that they plan to target West Elm, Crate & Barrel, CB2, or a similar company to fill a "brand crategory" that NEX doesn't current have.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

CyborgKen wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:03 pm On Grow Omaha, Johanna Boston from Nebraska Crossing said that they plan to target West Elm, Crate & Barrel, CB2, or a similar company to fill a "brand crategory" that NEX doesn't current have.
Those would all be nice “gets”...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

I don’t think Omaha big enough for Crate and Barrel.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Cermak wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:45 pm I don’t think Omaha big enough for Crate and Barrel.
They do have “outlet” stores in smaller places. Maybe they’re going after one of those.
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

It would be a very small Crate and Barrel if we got one. I’ve been to the Crate and Barrel in KC I know for sure we couldn’t support a store like that, they have twice the population we have and it’s seldom crowded . We need to focus on other stores besides snagging a C&B.
njfuchtman
New to the Neighborhood

Post by njfuchtman »

A Crate and Barrel or West Elm would never go into Nebraska Crossing. They tend to go into trendy or higher end areas/developments. They are targeting a different demographic than an outlet mall for sure.
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

There is a small Crate & Barrel in a busy mall in the SLC metro and is often empty. A West Elm in the City Creek mall in downtown SLC is better visited but rarely see anyone buy anything.

I did think it odd that the chief marketing officer for NEX said on Grow Omaha that they were targeting those two brands, among others, but I guess we'll see.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Rod Yates, Owner of Nebr Crossing must be making some coin somewhere.

He has bid $20,000 for the game worn cleats of Tom Brady from the Dec 2 game against the Minn Vikings. Granted the proceeds go to a charity but WOW.

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-engla ... ots-cleats
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

njfuchtman wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:57 pm A Crate and Barrel or West Elm would never go into Nebraska Crossing. They tend to go into trendy or higher end areas/developments. They are targeting a different demographic than an outlet mall for sure.
I guess. The one in Cleveland is in Legacy Village. Here are the anchors:
Crate & Barrel
Dick's Sporting Goods
Giant Eagle
Nordstrom Rack
LA Fitness
Ethan Allen
Arhaus[8]
Restoration Hardware

I suppose you could call that high end. To me it kind of seems usual suspects. Similar to the mall in Cincinnati as to anchor tenants. I know both Cleveland and Cincinnati have more metro population than Omaha but why not Omaha?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

NovakOmaha wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:07 pm
njfuchtman wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:57 pm A Crate and Barrel or West Elm would never go into Nebraska Crossing. They tend to go into trendy or higher end areas/developments. They are targeting a different demographic than an outlet mall for sure.
I guess. The one in Cleveland is in Legacy Village. Here are the anchors:
Crate & Barrel
Dick's Sporting Goods
Giant Eagle
Nordstrom Rack
LA Fitness
Ethan Allen
Arhaus[8]
Restoration Hardware

I suppose you could call that high end. To me it kind of seems usual suspects. Similar to the mall in Cincinnati as to anchor tenants. I know both Cleveland and Cincinnati have more metro population than Omaha but why not Omaha?
Why not Omaha indeed. I disagree with some of the commentary in this thread indicating :”Omaha is too small:” for a Crate & Barrel. The Omaha metro is pushing 1 million right now. Less than 50 miles away and only about 25-30 miles from Nebraska Crossing, is the Lincoln Metro. Between the Omaha/Lincoln metros, there is about a 1.4 million sustainable population base.. More than enough, IMO, to hold a Crate & Barrel...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

I don’t think we could support a full size Crate and Barrel like the one in KC. If they wanted to do a much smaller store or pop-up yes maybe that we could support. I think we have other stores to go after besides them. They just closed a store in Downtown Chicago don’t think expanding to Omaha is high on their list.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

The Crate & Barrel brand is exclusive indeed.. But I remember a time, some 15 to 20 years ago, I heard the same thing about Cheesecake Factory- that “Omaha is too small” and “CF expanding into Omaha is not high on their list” etc etc.. But developers were persistent and it paid off- Omaha has had a high functioning Cheescake Factory in operation for more than 12 years now..

If you don’t go for it, you’ll never imagine the possibilities..and unless you’re part of the executive decision making team at Crate & Barrel, you really don’t know what’s high or low on their priority list..

In any case, I like what Nebraska Crossing has developed into and hope to see them continue to strive to be the best shopping destination it can be...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

Omaha is a good restaurant town, not surprised Cheesecake Factory does well here. Not sure if Omaha is a good high end furniture town. I just think a full size Crate and Barrel is indeed a stretch for Omaha. But if they want to put a store here then our win.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Omaha is certainly a very good restaurant town.. I’m not sure why Omaha wouldn’t be a good high end furniture town either.. The amount of significant wealth and diversified economy in this city surely seems to belie that assertion..

But I do agree, if the Omaha area does attract a Crate & Barrel, it would be a great “get” for the metro...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Cermak wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:37 am Omaha is a good restaurant town, not surprised Cheesecake Factory does well here. Not sure if Omaha is a good high end furniture town. I just think a full size Crate and Barrel is indeed a stretch for Omaha. But if they want to put a store here then our win.
I want you to take this for how it's meant. Bull. Omaha's problem is that it's been conditioned to think that the Nebraska Furniture Mart is all Omaha needs. Allen's and Elan and other stores certainly carry nicer furniture than NFM. Dillard's came to Omaha and was scared to compete with the Mart. There is absolutely no reason Omaha couldn't support a higher end furniture store. For what it's worth, Crate and Barrel, IN MY OPINION, isn't really even a high end store compared to other "high end stores".

The above is my opinion. Certainly Cermak and everyone else are entitled to their own opinions. I just get frustrated when I hear Omaha isn't a good or good enough <fill in the blank> (store, restaurant, hotel, what the he11 ever) town. Population wise, a combined Omaha-Lincoln super metro has plenty of people for whatever, if only everyone could wrap their arms around the fact that folks in Chicago, Minneapolis, Denver, even Kansas City are not somehow better, more whatever than Omaha. Did you know that Tulsa has a Saks Fifth Avenue, for whatever that's worth? Yep, the Okies in Tulsa can support a Saks. Gee whiz.

Anyway, I think a Crate and Barrel could do fine at 168th & Dodge, by Westroads, etc.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

NovakOmaha wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:55 pm
Cermak wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:37 am Omaha is a good restaurant town, not surprised Cheesecake Factory does well here. Not sure if Omaha is a good high end furniture town. I just think a full size Crate and Barrel is indeed a stretch for Omaha. But if they want to put a store here then our win.
I want you to take this for how it's meant. Bull. Omaha's problem is that it's been conditioned to think that the Nebraska Furniture Mart is all Omaha needs. Allen's and Elan and other stores certainly carry nicer furniture than NFM. Dillard's came to Omaha and was scared to compete with the Mart. There is absolutely no reason Omaha couldn't support a higher end furniture store. For what it's worth, Crate and Barrel, IN MY OPINION, isn't really even a high end store compared to other "high end stores".

The above is my opinion. Certainly Cermak and everyone else are entitled to their own opinions. I just get frustrated when I hear Omaha isn't a good or good enough <fill in the blank> (store, restaurant, hotel, what the he11 ever) town. Population wise, a combined Omaha-Lincoln super metro has plenty of people for whatever, if only everyone could wrap their arms around the fact that folks in Chicago, Minneapolis, Denver, even Kansas City are not somehow better, more whatever than Omaha. Did you know that Tulsa has a Saks Fifth Avenue, for whatever that's worth? Yep, the Okies in Tulsa can support a Saks. Gee whiz.

Anyway, I think a Crate and Barrel could do fine at 168th & Dodge, by Westroads, etc.
I think this goes without saying, but I’m going to say it anyway-

I agree with everything you wrote in this post. My sentiments exactly. Especially the frustration with the “Omaha isn’t good enough” or “Omaha is too small” crowd (and no Cermak, I don’t count you as one from the “isn’t good enough” crowd at all). Everyone is entitled to their optinion. If we all agreed on this forum, it would become a very boring place very quickly. :thumb: ...

Ciaoi..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Tulsa has a Sacks Fifth Avenue? That store makes more sense to in Kansas City, than Tulsa. Weird. (Oklahoma City has a Sacks outlet "Off Fifth" I noticed. Funny how Tulsa has one over Oklahoma City. I've always felt Tulsa seemed a bit more sophisticated, or something, than Okla City -- although I would rather live in Okla City than Tulsa, because Okla City isn't off the beaten path, like Tulsa feels. Plus, it is so close to Dallas.)

Nebraska Crossing Outlet Mall: I really like the look of the new outlets, and the bulbous water tower, and the 'N' design, and all the flashing lights/signs along I-80, but there is something about it, like Oak View Mall, that feels squeezed-in. That circular drive around ropes it in so tight, and the skinny, wind-funneling walkways throughout it almost feel like a concrete-walled "rat maze" to me, or something (like, there is hardly any room for any buffering greenery, or garden landscaping, or anything). Village Point feels good & sharp within it, but overall, the entire complex feels a little squeezed-in, too, imo. What is it with Omaha squeezing malls in on too small of land? I wish they would please stop -- people can feel it, and don't like it. (Westroads doesn't feel that way at all, thankfully.)
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

I almost see the Kansas City Crate and Barrel as sort of a regional store encompassing a large area. Maybe a 200 mile radius which includes Omaha, Des Moines and Wichita. Crate and Barrel probably figures why build a store in Omaha or Des Moines when they can just drive down. And I happen to agree with that thinking. Make a day of it, drive down to KC, have lunch, check out some other stores and be back in Omaha in time for dinner. We can’t have every store. At times we will snag a Pottery Barn or Container store. But other stores will expect us to go to them , even if it’s a 3 hr drive. Not every store is meant to be in Omaha. I think that IKEA is this way as well and relies on a very large geographic area for customers.
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

Cermak wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:40 pmI think that IKEA is this way as well and relies on a very large geographic area for customers.
Unless you live in a major city - Chicago has 2 and Milwaukee has one. Dallas has 2. LA has 4. DC area has 3. Philly has 2. NY has 4.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Cermak wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:40 pm I almost see the Kansas City Crate and Barrel as sort of a regional store encompassing a large area. Maybe a 200 mile radius which includes Omaha, Des Moines and Wichita. Crate and Barrel probably figures why build a store in Omaha or Des Moines when they can just drive down. And I happen to agree with that thinking. Make a day of it, drive down to KC, have lunch, check out some other stores and be back in Omaha in time for dinner. We can’t have every store. At times we will snag a Pottery Barn or Container store. But other stores will expect us to go to them , even if it’s a 3 hr drive. Not every store is meant to be in Omaha. I think that IKEA is this way as well and relies on a very large geographic area for customers.
I'm sorry but seriously? Not every store is meant to be in Omaha? By the above logic Eppley should have flights to Chicago, Denver, Minneapolis and Dallas just to connect, or carried to an extreme, Eppley should close and folks within 200 miles should drive to KC to fly because KC "deserves" air service and Omaha isn't meant to have the flights and destinations it has. Come on. Nebraska Furniture Mart and Borsheim's are the largest in their industries. Does Omaha deserve them? Let's not forget the Henry Doorly Zoo. Does Omaha deserve it?

Businesses make decisions for a variety of reasons. Check the Wikipedia listing for Crate and Barrel. It was started by a couple as one single store. It was never meant as a destination.

For the record IKEA is scouting for another metro Detroit location. The current one is huge, right off the interstate and very convenient to all of metro Detroit, Ann Arbor and pretty much everybody within a 200 mile radius and yet they want to open another one less than 20 miles away.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I hate that feeling when you have to drive to another major city, like KC, for a certain store. Heading back to Omaha afterwards, tired w/ shopping bags in the trunk, you're reminded that your city, with now a tall skyscraper, is still a sort of "outpost on the prairie." :)
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

Crate and Barrel will not come to Omaha anytime soon, Maybe they will in 10 or 20 years. We are just to small. Every location listed on their company web site is bigger than us. We need to focus on recruiting other stores besides this one. For a while we had two Williams -Sonoma’s . One at Regency and one at Oak View, the Oak View store didn’t last long and closed. Omaha was not big enough to support both. Omaha is only so big and can only support so much.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

The Subway Sandwich location at Nebr Crossing closed a couple of weeks ago.

I have heard from what I believe is an accurate source that PepperJax Grill will be going in that location. For all I know that is public already as I have not went looking for info but it was new info to me.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

nebugeater wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:17 am The Subway Sandwich location at Nebr Crossing closed a couple of weeks ago.

I have heard from what I believe is an accurate source that PepperJax Grill will be going in that location. For all I know that is public already as I have not went looking for info but it was new info to me.
The only coming soon Pepperjax talks about on their website or Facebook is Kearney, which I believe just opened. Still I'm not "in the know" around here, so others may know more! :D
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

nebugeater wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:17 am The Subway Sandwich location at Nebr Crossing closed a couple of weeks ago.
I'm not surprised. I don't think there's enough hungry foot traffic during slow times of the year (i.e. after Christmas) to keep the place in the black and the locals go to the other Subway in Gretna because it's so much easier to access and closer to most of the subdivisions.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

ChadJK wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:32 pm
I'm not surprised. I don't think there's enough hungry foot traffic during slow times of the year (i.e. after Christmas) to keep the place in the black and the locals go to the other Subway in Gretna because it's so much easier to access and closer to most of the subdivisions.
If Subway can not make it here with their billion dollar advertising driving customers to them then there is not a chance that the likes of a Pepperjax Grill is going to make it here. I say the Pepperjax Grill story is a rumor and if it is true then it is a guarantee fail.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Subway is EVERYWHERE! Pepperjax is more unique.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

ChadJK wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:30 am Looks like PepperJax is coming:
https://www.nexoutlets.com/brand/fa38a5 ... f4ea0f2c8f
i had no doubt in my early source
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

ChadJK wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:30 am Looks like PepperJax is coming:
https://www.nexoutlets.com/brand/fa38a5 ... f4ea0f2c8f
Targeting an April 1 open date ...... unless that is an April fools joke
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

Spoke with Johanna Boston, chief marketing officer for OTB Destination (the company that owns NEX Outlets), on LinkedIn today about them targeting West Elm or Crate and Barrel.

She said "Tenants that are outside of the outlet industry are the brands that we are targeting for our project. We are the non-outlet outlet. There are many holes within the brand categories of the outlet industry. Home furnishings such as West Elm and Crate and Barrel are definitely a “want” for our shopper."