Nebraska Crossing Outlet Mall(Gretna)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Re: Nebraska Crossing Outlet Mall(Gretna)

Post by RNcyanide »

bigredmed wrote:OK, to stipulate a couple of things:  1.  I have no beef against this mall.  2.  I have never been to it.

So, with fairness and balance in mind, is there a store or group of stores that make it worth the drive from the middle of Omaha to the mall just to hit those stores?   Has anyone found anything  there that it alone made the trip worthwhile?  

I don't mean to come off snarky.  I have limited time off and don't want to go there if I won't get some kind of bang for the buck so to speak.
Some outlets like Nike, Adidas, Underarmour, and places like that have really good sales. I've picked up really nice running shoes for only 30$. Otherwise, there's more destination type stores, such as Coach, Swarovski, Kate Spade, and Ralph Lauren. Those places aren't cheap and they're not meant to be. But every now and then, you can get a good deal on a clearance item (but you're not going to get a Coach bag on sale for 40$ most likely.)
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I went there for the first time last weekend and was disappointed. Checked out the 'outlet sales' at Brooks Brothers and it was mostly Buy One, Get 50% off your second purchase. Not what I was expecting.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

bigredmed wrote:OK, to stipulate a couple of things:  1.  I have no beef against this mall.  2.  I have never been to it.

So, with fairness and balance in mind, is there a store or group of stores that make it worth the drive from the middle of Omaha to the mall just to hit those stores?   Has anyone found anything  there that it alone made the trip worthwhile?  

I don't mean to come off snarky.  I have limited time off and don't want to go there if I won't get some kind of bang for the buck so to speak.
In all honesty everyone's tastes are different. You will have to decide for yourself, so give it a one time shot and see where it goes from there. That being said after living 5 Min away I am now an hour away and We will still make the trip occasionally.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

For me it has made for an enjoyable day trip when I head to see my Grandparents out past Lincoln. We usually stop in here and see if we can spot any good deals and then grab lunch at Voodoo taco and continue on. Everytime I have gone I have found a few things that I left with. I think since it is still in Phase 1 it feels limited but once it grows into Phase 2 and adds more dining options it will be the destination everyone wants it to be.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Drove by today abut 1:00 and the parking lot was 70% full with parking way out near the water tower
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

nebugeater wrote:Drove by today abut 1:00 and the parking lot was 70% full with parking way out near the water tower
We drove by numerous times this weekend going back and forth to Mahoney and I was surprised to see the lot mostly full everytime we went by including early between 8-9 am on Saturday morning. Looks like a good sign.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

skinzfan23 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:Drove by today abut 1:00 and the parking lot was 70% full with parking way out near the water tower
We drove by numerous times this weekend going back and forth to Mahoney and I was surprised to see the lot mostly full everytime we went by including early between 8-9 am on Saturday morning. Looks like a good sign.
Oh sure why not. An hour or two before any of the stores were even open yet the parking lot was full. :sly:
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:
We drove by numerous times this weekend going back and forth to Mahoney and I was surprised to see the lot mostly full everytime we went by including early between 8-9 am on Saturday morning.  Looks like a good sign.
Oh sure why not. An hour or two before any of the stores were even open yet the parking lot was full.  :sly:
Well, they open at 10am on Saturdays, and considering employees start showing up around 7 or even earlier, and people wanting to beat the crowds, that makes a lot of sense. heck even at Oakview, the mall portion opens before the stores do, so there's probably people or mallwalkers milling around there before the actual stores open. Sorry to shoot you down.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Went there today over lunch. I'd say parking lot was close to 50% full. There did seem to be quite a few plates from outside the state.

One store I stopped by was Under Armour, you can see their expansion taking place inside now. I asked one of the associates and she said they will be carrying the camouflage merchandise and really expanding their kids section.

Greg
PobodysNerfect
New to the Neighborhood

Post by PobodysNerfect »

Th thing is, these malls are as much for tourists as they are for locals. They offer a wider variety of shopping for those in Omaha and Lincoln, but they also offer shopping for people in town for various reasons. Just because it's not common for all of us, doesn't mean that shopping still isn't an incentive for out of towners. People in for the CWS will drive there on a day they aren't watching a game. Same with swim trials, people driving in from out of Eastern Nebraska for high school state athletic events, etc. It's not rare for these outlets to be slightly outside of town. Even big cities like St. Louis have Premium outlets out towards Chesterfield a ways from downtown. It's good to have these.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

PobodysNerfect wrote:Th thing is, these malls are as much for tourists as they are for locals. They offer a wider variety of shopping for those in Omaha and Lincoln, but they also offer shopping for people in town for various reasons. Just because it's not common for all of us, doesn't mean that shopping still isn't an incentive for out of towners. People in for the CWS will drive there on a day they aren't watching a game. Same with swim trials, people driving in from out of Eastern Nebraska for high school state athletic events, etc. It's not rare for these outlets to be slightly outside of town. Even big cities like St. Louis have Premium outlets out towards Chesterfield a ways from downtown. It's good to have these.
SELL IT BABY SELL IT! :P
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

PobodysNerfect wrote:Th thing is, these malls are as much for tourists as they are for locals. They offer a wider variety of shopping for those in Omaha and Lincoln, but they also offer shopping for people in town for various reasons. Just because it's not common for all of us, doesn't mean that shopping still isn't an incentive for out of towners. People in for the CWS will drive there on a day they aren't watching a game. Same with swim trials, people driving in from out of Eastern Nebraska for high school state athletic events, etc. It's not rare for these outlets to be slightly outside of town. Even big cities like St. Louis have Premium outlets out towards Chesterfield a ways from downtown. It's good to have these.
I would tend to agree. I know the one outside of Iowa City is pretty traveler dependent.

It was nice to see Gretna hopping in the middle of a day , on a hot Tuesday.

Greg
PobodysNerfect
New to the Neighborhood

Post by PobodysNerfect »

I just want us to have nice things, haha.

The more things like this succeed, things like this meaning things that bigger cities have, the more Omaha gets better stores, better developers, more tourism, etc.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

When we go to KC we used to always shop. The last few years it was at the Legends for the outlets there. We are going down in a couple weeks to go to Worlds of Fun and the Royals. With the Gretna outlets, it's not on the radar anymore. (in the past it was primarily for kids clothes)

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/money/nebraska-cro ... 6b118.html
Nebraska Crossing Outlets in Gretna will expand this fall, adding two new structures — a total of 26,000 square feet of space — that will eventually house a new “fashion anchor” store and a new 200-seat restaurant. Construction is expected to begin in the next few weeks and be completed by November.

A new 6,000-square-foot stand-alone building, on the center’s east side, will be reserved for a sit-down restaurant, said Rod Yates, who redeveloped the outlet mall in partnership with the property’s majority owner, Frank Krejci, head of Omaha’s Century Development.

“People have been asking for a nice sit-down restaurant,” Yates said.

On the west side, a “fashion” store would occupy the new 20,000-square-foot stand-alone building, said Yates, who would not disclose the retailer’s identity.
Yates said Nebraska Crossing also is “negotiating with Vera Bradley and Bare Minerals.”

If those two retailers decide to open stores at the outlet mall, the mall would be nearly 100 percent full, he said.
#failing
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I read the story twice in vain looking for the identity of this big restaurant. Odd, to say the least.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

They did not name the "fashion store" either. I assume that both announcements will come in time.

Greg
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Any guesses who the "Fashion" anchor will be? Saks? Nordstoms? or....Macy's?
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

My guess is a Nordstrom's Rack.
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

I would guess Nordstrom Rack also.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Maybe Saks off 5th Ave
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Also impressed with how fast the Under Armour expansion got done.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:Also impressed with how fast the Under Armour expansion got done.

Greg

They just expanded into the unfinished bay next to them didn't they?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

nebugeater wrote:
Greg S wrote:Also impressed with how fast the Under Armour expansion got done.

Greg

They just expanded into the unfinished bay next to them didn't they?
Yes, in the bay to the north.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yes, I think the mall offices moved or shrunk as well.

Greg
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

nativeomahan wrote:I read the story twice in vain looking for the identity of this big restaurant.  Odd, to say the least.
But we can speculate...
1) Chedders
2) Pizza Ranch
3) Cracker Barrel
4) __________

With relatively easy off/on from I-80, Cracker Barrel would seem to be interested, and serving Breakfast seems like a good feature, tempting customers to check out the shops before heading back on the road.

A destination restaurant new to the area would be the best, but what would that be ? Would it serve Breakfast ?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I've heard Sports Bar.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

So it turns out this place isn't failing? Who would have thought!
No posts exist for this topic
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

I think a sports bar would be ideal. If it is a couple shopping perhaps the husband can kill time in the sports bar while she shops...
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

A sports bar would be a great addition! Would definitely be a lot of guys hanging out there while their women shopped haha. I think the only thing this place is missing is more food options.. if you're going to spend the whole day here its nice to have a few options for eating when you're tired of walking.
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

Coyote wrote:I've heard Sports Bar.
I think for a restaurant to be successful it must primarily cater to the I-80 traffic, according to the drawing the parking lot is directly off the South Mall access street.

Then icing on the cake will be the Mall traffic, which will be quite varied and inconsistent. I don't think a Sports bar is the best fit... we will see.
Last edited by lonnie on Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

I am actually a bit shocked a hotel developer hasn't built or bought yet. Think if a regional family resort were to open, how it would impact the area. For example what if a great wolf resort were to open I think it would be a great destination place with the water park and is not too far from Omaha or from the wild life safari/Mahoney/air&space etc. Just seems like it has potential to have a family hotel next to the outlets and restaurants (when all built) BTW what's the deal with pieocracy?
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I honestly think that if they could acquire more land around it, this would be a great place for a Theme Park and Amphitheatre. It would then take on more of a "Legends" in K.C feel to it as it would be more full service entertainment destination.
No posts exist for this topic
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Proving that I was not born to shop, I finally checked out the outlet mall yesterday. Despite the drippy weather it was very busy. And I will confess that I came away fairly impressed. The mix of stores seems quite good. And I like the fact that there are various places to eat or just relax scattered among the shops. I only walked the eastern half of the complex, so I would have an excuse to come back and check out the remainder on another day.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Rod Gates of NEX said the 200 seat stand alone restaurant will be open by March Madness: a hint again as a Sports Bar/Restaurant?
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I finally stopped in there earlier this week. It's a nice place, but the prices aren't really any better than what you can find on the internet.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Well imagine that... prices as good as the internet, and the opportunity to try it on as well. :)
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Stargazer wrote:Well imagine that... prices as good as the internet, and the opportunity to try it on as well. :)
I have never, ever, bought clothes via the Internet. I want to try stuff on, feel the texture, see how things look on me. And help pay the wages of people who live in the local community.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

nativeomahan wrote:
Stargazer wrote:Well imagine that... prices as good as the internet, and the opportunity to try it on as well. :)
I have never, ever, bought clothes via the Internet.  I want to try stuff on, feel the texture, see how things look on me.  And help pay the wages of people who live in the local community.
Same. Certain things don't fit well on me and I've been burned on that before on the internet.

The Bride
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I'm not a huge fan of internet clothing either. My only exception is if there is a physical store I can return the items too.

Greg