Nebraska Crossing Outlet Mall(Gretna)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Nebraska Crossing Outlet Mall(Gretna)

Post by nebugeater »

The lack of ability to gain approval and put in stoplights looks like it has doomed the sale of the outlet mall and the investment of 25 million of improvements.  It sounds like there were concerns on being able to safely add the lights and the impact that it may have on other traffic flow.  This is too bad as I think there is potential for this location, it just needs someone to take over that can tap that potential.  There are outlet malls with no better locations that do MUCH better.  Hopefully something can still come of this location with this or another developer.

http://www.gretnabreeze.com/site/tab4.c ... 6328&rfi=6

The Nebraska Department of Roads has put the red light on a $25 million project to bring improvements to the Nebraska Crossing Outlet Center.

Gretna Area Chamber of Commerce Economic Development Chairman Brad Stauffer said the chamber and city of Gretna were approached several months ago by a national developer interested in purchasing and renovating the outlet center.

Plans, including a redesign of Nebraska Crossing and plans to fill the mall with nationally known name brand outlet stores, were halted last week when NDOR chose not to grant approval on a crucial traffic signal and no traffic flow alternatives were found.

"The Gretna Area Chamber of Commerce is sorry to lose this project," Stauffer said. "It is one we have worked hard on over the last few months and we feel it is a shame that the project can not be completed."

The development company already owns several outlet malls across the United States, Stauffer said, and had plans of redeveloping the Nebraska Crossing Outlet Mall into a format similar to the others.

Stauffer said from the start the developer and associated retail outlets had concerns about the entrance and exit to and from Nebraska Crossing and the ability to handle the traffic flow expected for the outlet mall.

Of particular concern, he said, was the left turning traffic leaving the outlet mall and going to the interstate. Over the past several months city and chamber officials have been working with NDOR on a plan to place a traffic signal at the Outlet mall entrance and learned about a week ago it would not be possible to obtain a traffic signal at the intersection.

The chamber and city worked closely with the state throughout the process and while they say the state was willing to work with them and consider a light at the intersection, Stauffer said, in the end traffic designers had too many concerns about negative impact on traffic flow and safety issues and didn't feel it was safe to construct a light at the location.

Stauffer and Gretna Chamber President Kevin Svec both said they were disappointed in losing the large-scale renovation project, but understood why the NDOR made the decision.

"The department of roads has been good to work with and been responsive to us, but they have certain requirements they have to follow," Svec said.

The developer and the chamber struggled to find another option including access through adjoining properties and re-timing of lights. Attempts came to an end Friday when, unable to find alternatives, the developer decided to void the agreement and the attempted purchase came to an end.

"Unfortunately it's just one of those deals where much effort went into it and we just couldn't get it to click for us," Svec said.

Stauffer said he sees the potential of Nebraska Crossing and believes another developer will take interest in the site in the future. For now, the chamber's Economic Development Committee will focus on bringing other businesses to the area, he said. Svec said the chamber has heard increasing interest from big and small businesses alike interested in locating in the Gretna area.

"It's amazing how many inquiries we do get from both in-state and out-of-state developers," Svec said. "Sarpy County is the fastest-growing county and it's attracting a lot of attention."

Several members of the Gretna Chamber planned to attend the Sarpy County Board meeting Tuesday to support bringing a Copple Chevrolet auto dealership to an area near the Nebraska Crossing Outlet Center.

Stauffer said he's disappointed in losing the $25 million Nebraska Crossing renovation, but the Economic Development Committee will continue to work hard to attract businesses to the area.

"Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, but we're getting more involved," he said. "While this is a hard project to lose we will continue to work together with others on projects in the future that will be beneficial for the community."
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

This is about how busy it usually looks
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... id=2368432

From the 4/19/07 OWH here is a story on the status of the outlet mall near Gretna.

When Nebraska Crossing opened in 1993, customers' cars overflowed the parking lot. Vehicles stacked up at the Gretna exit off Interstate 80. Some people even parked along a nearby highway and walked to the outlet mall.

Nebraska Crossing, which opened in 1993, is 70 percent occupied, says Gina Slechta, marketing director for Horizon Group Properties Inc. She said Horizon Group is optimistic about the future of the Gretna outlet mall, which appears to have been hurt by Omaha's westward growth.In its heyday, Nebraska Crossing, which had 53 stores, was a regional draw and a popular stop for Interstate travelers.

But Omaha's persistent westward growth appears to have hurt the 191,500-square-foot shopping center, which once boasted brand-name stores such as Geoffrey Beene and American Tourister but now has many local, nonretail businesses such as dance studios and a day care center.

A recent Friday afternoon found only about 40 customers and at least 10 empty storefronts.

Horizon Group Properties Inc. of Chicago, which owns Nebraska Crossing, is building a 385,000-square-foot center near El Paso, Texas, scheduled to open in October. Ninety percent of the space already is leased, the company said.

The industry has matured, said Linda Humphers, editor of Value Retail News, which covers the outlet mall industry.

"They're not springing up everywhere like they did 20 years ago, but the ones that are opening are good, strong centers," she said.

Horizon Group Properties remains optimistic about the future of Nebraska Crossing.

"There's a tremendous amount of activity going on, and there's over 200 houses being built annually in this market area," said Gina Slechta, marketing director.

Horizon Group is talking to several retailers who are interested in leasing space at Nebraska Crossing, she said.

Slechta downplayed the importance of the number of cars in the parking lot, which is the only impression many passers-by have of the shopping center.

"A lot of times, you don't see a lot of cars in the parking lot, but shoppers who are at the center are very serious shoppers," she said. "(At) an enclosed mall, you get mall-walkers and kids just hanging out. You don't have that at an outlet center. The people are serious shoppers."

A potential deal to sell the property recently fell through, Slechta said, but the seller's interest proves the mall's viability.......................................
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

If they want people to go there they need stores that will attract crowds.  Get Eddie Bauer, Nike, Reebok, Polo, Nautica or stores in that range and I'll make the drive.

Greg
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Plans, including a redesign of Nebraska Crossing and plans to fill the mall with nationally known name brand outlet stores, were halted last week when NDOR chose not to grant approval on a crucial traffic signal and no traffic flow alternatives were found.
Oh.  My.  God.

Is it just me, or is the Nebraska Department of ROADS the devil?

And I also don't understand how the Nebraska Crossing people are making a case that Omaha's westward growth has hurt them...  HUH???
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Is it just me, or is the Nebraska Department of ROADS the devil?
Yes.  ;)
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:And I also don't understand how the Nebraska Crossing people are making a case that Omaha's westward growth has hurt them...  HUH???
I could see that maybe they're complaining that there's more mainstream competition closer now.  But guess what?  Tough noogies.  It's callled an open market.  You wanted people out there and now they're out there.  Compete for them.

-Big E
Stable genius.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

That's what I was thinking, too.  But, they're OUTLETS....  That's a destination.  People go there SPECIFICALLY to shop at outlet stores.

I just don't see the logic in it.  The westward expansion brings people CLOSER to the outlet mall.  And, even before all the great westward expansion that's occurred since 1993, people were already coming to the outlets mainly from Omaha and Lincoln (obviously), where there is already mainstream "competition."  But again, they're a destination.  Anyway, I think it's a stupid excuse.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
flyOMA
Home Owners Association

Post by flyOMA »

Big E wrote:
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Is it just me, or is the Nebraska Department of ROADS the devil?
Yes.  ;)
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:And I also don't understand how the Nebraska Crossing people are making a case that Omaha's westward growth has hurt them...  HUH???
I could see that maybe they're complaining that there's more mainstream competition closer now.  But guess what?  Tough noogies.  It's callled an open market.  You wanted people out there and now they're out there.  Compete for them.

-Big E
That is complete B.S., there are outlet malls in suburban or exurban areas all over the place Aurora (Chicago) and Albertville (Minneapolis) come to mind.  That mall needs new management and new vision, period.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

The Gretna Outlet mall has been sold to local investors now.  THis artical says that the sale took place in June.  The new leasing sings have been up for about six weeks I think.  The local auction location for the Bunach Auctioneering Company closed up shop and moved out about a week and a half ago.  No more Saturday or Sunday Auctions.  Overall I think this is a good location for the potential to bring life back.  I hope these owners can do it but only time will tell.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10113854
The new owners of Nebraska Crossing hope to increase the number of retailers and shoppers at the Gretna-area outlet mall.

The owners of Omaha-based First Management Inc. (FMI) and local developer Frank Krejci took control of the 14-year-old shopping center off Interstate 80 in June. They purchased the mall from Horizon Group Properties Inc. of Chicago. The sale price was not disclosed.  
There have been no major changes yet, aside from what Wieseler called adjustments in the day-to-day operation of the center.

He said the new owners hope to attract new national retailers, especially those that appeal to women and teens; present more special events; and explore uses for the west end of the mall, which features a central court.
First Management Inc. is owned by Wieseler, Thomas Adams and Kenneth Albrecht. The firm is part owner of Midtown Plaza in Omaha, among other properties, and manages properties that include Brentwood Square in Papillion, Beverly Hills Plaza in Omaha and Van Dorn Plaza in Lincoln.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

nebugeater wrote:The Gretna Outlet mall has been sold to local investors now.
I hope they do something with it. It's very convenient for me, and I'm an outlet mall junkie, but this one really doesn't have much. :( Most of the good shops pulled out of there. :(

Hopefully this new group will get some new life into it.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Funny the original owner is pulling up stakes just as the area is exploding.  Sounds like a great investment for First Management.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Stargazer wrote:Funny the original owner is pulling up stakes just as the area is exploding.  Sounds like a great investment for First Management.
I beleive this is the third owner.  If I remember correctly it changed hands about 5 or so years ago too.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

There is a story in the OWH and the Gretna Breeze today about the redevelopment of the Nebraska Crossing outlet mall.  At this point I do not see either story on line. The basis is an expansion of the mall, a transition to true outlets again and not a used car, motorcycle, school photography type businesses.  Their list of names that they are actively recruiting are familiar names.  The mall would be transformed with another row of store fronts and a sidewalk between the exiting and new.  Transform to  a " lifestyle center"  Plan is to be complete if all approvals are in place, by 2012.

I am sure the story will be on line eventually.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

nebugeater wrote:The basis is an expansion of the mall, a transition to true outlets again ...
I would LOVE to see this happen! When they opened I had visions of something like they have out in Barstow or Lake Elsinore, or {dreaming} Gurnee! (I live only 5 minutes away!)

It never really happened. It kind of almost took off, then faded away.
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

nebugeater wrote:There is a story in the OWH and the Gretna Breeze today about the redevelopment of the Nebraska Crossing outlet mall.  At this point I do not see either story on line. The basis is an expansion of the mall, a transition to true outlets again and not a used car, motorcycle, school photography type businesses.  Their list of names that they are actively recruiting are familiar names.  The mall would be transformed with another row of store fronts and a sidewalk between the exiting and new.  Transform to  a " lifestyle center"  Plan is to be complete if all approvals are in place, by 2012.

I am sure the story will be on line eventually.
Let's hope!  Its sad that this "outlet mall" became a catch-all.  Omaha is a regional shopping destination (with no other outlet malls in the area) I don't see why it didn't continue as one.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

According to the Grow Omaha facebook page,

Expanded by 100,000sq ft
Ties to KC's Legends Development
Hoping for: Saks, Nike, Banana Republic, GAP, Old Nave, J. Crew, White House Black Market, Under Armour, and Coach.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:According to the Grow Omaha facebook page,

Expanded by 100,000sq ft
Hoping for: Saks, Nike, Banana Republic, GAP, Old Nave, J. Crew, White House Black Market, Under Armour, and Coach.
I was just going to say the biggest problem is it doesn't have the stores to draw the people.  Not having the clearance Gap, Nike ect. is its biggest problem b/c it is real easy to get to and has tons of room to do what ever they need.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

iamjacobm wrote:

Expanded by 100,000sq ft
I was just going to say the biggest problem is it doesn't have the stores to draw the people.  Not having the clearance Gap, Nike ect. is its biggest problem b/c it is real easy to get to and has tons of room to do what ever they need.
They have had the stores that people want to an extent.  Many have left.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

From the Gretna Breeze  ( as owned by the OWH)

http://www.omaha.com/article/20101201/N ... /712019844

Nebraska Crossing Factory Stores opened in 1993 and once was home to 53 stores. In its heyday, cars filled the parking lot and traffic would overflow across Interstate 80 and shoppers walked over the bridge to get to the stores.  Fourteen years later, things are not the same. Century Development Company and First Management, Inc., purchased the outlet mall from Horizon Property Group in May 2007 and later hired a full-time marketing director. Yet some bays remained empty, giving the shopping center what some perceived as a negative public image.

Three years later, the mall is 70 percent occupied and today marks a new chapter in Nebraska Crossing as First Management, Inc. announced they have partnered with OTB Destination, LLC, to redevelop the outlet mall into an enlarged, thriving and popular shopping destination.
Plans show that space at the 195,000-square foot outlet mall would increase to 310,000 square feet. The current sidewalk would be expanded into a walkway between the current building and new bays will be constructed south and parallel of the existing “L”-shaped structure.

Rod Yates of OTB Destination, said the outlet mall will be rebranded as “Life Outlets at Nebraska Crossing,” opening in the fall of 2012 with stores that are actively opening outlet concepts across the country. Brands Yates is seeking to bring to mall include Bloomingdale's, Saks, Nike, Banana Republic, J. Crew, Adidas, Chico's, White House Black Market, Under Armour and Coach. Yates said brands now have outlet divisions and those lines are becoming more popular in the current economic climate.
Yates said no construction work will begin until 70 percent of the outlet space can be guaranteed to be occupied by businesses. So far 20 percent is committed, he said, adding that the stores agreeing to leases will not be announced until the developers reach the 70 percent goal.

In the meantime, Nebraska Crossing will remain open.

Randy Wieseler, president of First Management, Inc., said he had been searching for consultants to help revitalize Nebraska Crossing and it was good timing for First Management, Inc. and OTB to work together.

There is a drawing of the proposed layout on the OWH site if you click on the MORE PHOTOS (3) link

http://www.omaha.com/article/20101201/MONEY/712019926/0
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

nebugeater wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:

Expanded by 100,000sq ft
They have had the stores that people want to an extent.  Many have left.
Yeah I get that, but from driving along I-80 and I-35 I've seen outlet malls with the big names that draw tons of people.  I don't see a reason that Nebraska crossing couldn't land some of the highest tier tenants with it being so easy to access by over a million people.  It is barely 40 mins from UNL.  And a 20-30 min drive from most anywhere in Omaha.

I am sure it has a lot to do with ownership among other things I don't know much about it all.  I haven't been out there in years.  Just seems like a city of this size could support a legit outlet mall.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

They never had the top type of stores.  They had some of the basics.  This design looks so much better.  The original was brutal.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

There is a vote in Gretna to utilize the Advantage Transformational Tourism and Redevelopment Program as has previously been stated.  The vote will be by mail in ballot.  There is a web site put together by those supporting this that seems to explain it well.   I have not talked to anyone that is not for this in Gretna.  I cannot see this doing anything put passing big.

http://www.voteyesgretna.com/

Lots of info an links on the web site but here is one quote
By voting YES on the Gretna Advantage Transformational Tourism and Redevelopment Program, we have the opportunity to give city officials a new economic development tool needed to redevelop and revitalize the Nebraska Crossing Outlet Mall into a destination shopping center that will attract high-profile stores and become a true tourism destination.  This redevelopment project will target new national retail brands that are actively opening outlet concepts across the country such as Bloomingdale’s, Saks, Nike, J. Crew, adidas, Polo, Coach and others.  Think about it…  New jobs! New economic investment in the community!  Quality retail/restaurant development with amenities!

But first…we must pass the Gretna Advantage Transformational Tourism and Redevelopment Program ballot initiative. You will be mailed a ballot the week of February 1 asking you to give the City of Gretna the authority to direct the newly generated local sales tax dollars from a project only in an area defined by the City back to qualifying businesses/developers within that area in order to encourage investment, job creation and redevelopment.  Only the newly generated sales tax dollars would be invested back into the project.

I like this photos that show this is now and this is what could be.  They are all too real.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

More coverage

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110128/MONEY/701289910
Plans for the Gretna center have been in the works since last summer, but a similar project announced this week for La Vista by a Baltimore developer raises questions about which development will persevere.

Cordish Cos. wants to build a $114 million entertainment and outlet retail complex at Southport West, just off I-80 near 126th Street and Giles Road. The site already is home to Cabela's, several hotels and the La Vista Conference Center.

Both groups of developers agree on one thing: The market will support only one project.
Developers of the La Vista project have said they're not overly concerned with radius restrictions, but Jim Sadler, general manager of Westroads Mall and Mall of the Bluffs, confirmed that such restrictions are a real part of the equation.

Most stores still have such terms in their lease agreements, although they might not cover as many miles as they did years ago, said Sadler, who added that he hasn't spoken with developers of either project.

The area of a radius restriction depends on the individual retailer, he said, and would apply to the outlet shopping segment.

Westroads and Mall of the Bluffs are owned by General Growth Properties, which also owns Oak View Mall.

The Gretna shopping center is more than 18 miles from Regency Court and Westroads, 13 miles from Oak View and nine miles from Village Pointe. The La Vista site is a bit less than eight miles from Westroads, about five miles from Oak View and four miles from Village Pointe.

“We're going to be complementary retail,” Yates said. “That's what retailers want.”

Another strength of the Gretna site is its proximity to Lincoln, from which it will draw customers, Yates said. It is easily accessed from the north and south as well, he added.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

From the Jan 26 Gretna Breeze

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110125/N ... still-a-go

Rod Yates, of OTB Destination, LLC, said he was aware of the development in La Vista. OTB Destination is partnering with First Management, Inc., to redevelop Nebraska Crossing Factory Stores in Gretna.

Yates learned about the La Vista development project last September and was not surprised by the announcement this week, adding that competition is a good thing.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I was hoping the new plan would include a residential component, even if in the form of a new hotel, or a couple smaller motels.

Oh well, it's definitely a lot more attractive than what's there.

From an urban design standpoint, it shows how much people really are craving that oft-talked-about "sense of place." What the new design demonstrates is how important having a sense of urban enclosure is to creating that feeling of "place." The new center will be no more "walkable" than the old; it will still flow along the same linear axis that exists today. The difference is that the new retail buildings will create that intimate urban space where before shoppers and strollers were just exposed to the vast parking lots.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Gretna votes approve LB1018 with a 93% approval rating with about 49% of the registered voters voting in a mail in vote.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110215/N ... of-lb-1018
The results are in.

Wayne Bena, Sarpy County election commissioner, reported Tuesday, Feb. 15, that Legislative Bill 1018 was approved by 1,342 voters in Gretna in the first-ever mail-in election in Sarpy County. That is 93.52 percent in favor.

Ninety-three voted against LB 1018, which is 6.48 percent.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Time frame for opening now stated as March 2013 rather than late 2012.  Three outlets mentioned by name include  Saks Fifth Avenue Off 5th ,Under Armour Factory and J. Crew Factory stores.

Saks Outlet may come to Gretna

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110520/MONEY/705209847
Michaela Saunders WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Rod Yates is working with property owner and local developer Frank Krejci and a team of others on Crossroads Mall at 72nd and Dodge Streets and the Nebraska Crossing outlet center in Gretna.

Yates told an audience of about 40 that the Gretna center would have a mix of 60 tenants when it opens in late March 2013. The center originally expected to open in fall 2012.

In an interview, Yates said the change was necessary to keep potential anchor Saks Fifth Avenue Off 5th in the mix.

No formal tenant announcements were made at Thursday’s presentation.

Yates and his team announced earlier this week that Saks Off 5th, the department store’s outlet operation, has been secured for a project in Kansas City, Kan., along with Under Armour Factory and J. Crew Factory stores.

Yates said both of those stores are interested in Gretna as well.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Could both this and South Port possibly co-exist?  It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Stargazer wrote:Could both this and South Port possibly co-exist?  It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.
Survive, maybe. But probably not much more beyond that...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Stargazer wrote:Could both this and South Port possibly co-exist?  It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.
I doubt it.  My guess is that it will be first out the gate breaking ground will get the win.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

nebugeater wrote:
I doubt it.  My guess is that it will be first out the gate breaking ground will get the win.
Crossing my fingers for Southport.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Placing your money on Cordish... probably not a bad bet.
FrontlineOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by FrontlineOmaha »

I drive between Lincoln and Omaha a couple of times a week.  I think Im a pretty attentive person, but there is always the possibility that I have just missed this for some time and its not actually new...but.

Today, I saw they had a trailer/billboard setup at Nebraska Crossing on the East side (by the Indian dealer) just off the interstate.  Im wondering if this is a sign of progress or simply a reply to Cordish putting up the billboard/trailers at Southport...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

FrontlineOmaha wrote:I drive between Lincoln and Omaha a couple of times a week.  I think Im a pretty attentive person, but there is always the possibility that I have just missed this for some time and its not actually new...but.

Today, I saw they had a trailer/billboard setup at Nebraska Crossing on the East side (by the Indian dealer) just off the interstate.  Im wondering if this is a sign of progress or simply a reply to Cordish putting up the billboard/trailers at Southport...

The trailer was there the same week that the ones went up by Cordish.  There are also big billboard size banners up along some of the storefronts between the brick columns and a new sign cover at the entrance to the mall.  Some was there before Cordish and some was after.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

From what I've heard, NE Crossing has the upper hand on La Vista.  Basically the "winner" will be the first to sign Coach, Nike, and Under Armour.  The rest will follow.  Cordish is apparently struggling to sign Coach because they are within 10 miles of an actual Coach store.  Their corporate policy prevents an outlet mall from being within 10 miles of a retail store.  Couple that with the fact that Gretna is simply a renovation/expansion and La Vista is new construction, you have a formula that favors Gretna.  

It'll be fun to watch though!  May the best concept win.  Regardless, its good for the metro.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:From what I've heard, NE Crossing has the upper hand on La Vista.  Basically the "winner" will be the first to sign Coach, Nike, and Under Armour.  The rest will follow.  Cordish is apparently struggling to sign Coach because they are within 10 miles of an actual Coach store.  Their corporate policy prevents an outlet mall from being within 10 miles of a retail store.  Couple that with the fact that Gretna is simply a renovation/expansion and La Vista is new construction, you have a formula that favors Gretna.  

It'll be fun to watch though!  May the best concept win.  Regardless, its good for the metro.
I hope NE Crossing wins the battle and cordish recreates the idea in NDT.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:From what I've heard, NE Crossing has the upper hand on La Vista.  Basically the "winner" will be the first to sign Coach, Nike, and Under Armour.  The rest will follow.  Cordish is apparently struggling to sign Coach because they are within 10 miles of an actual Coach store.  Their corporate policy prevents an outlet mall from being within 10 miles of a retail store.  Couple that with the fact that Gretna is simply a renovation/expansion and La Vista is new construction, you have a formula that favors Gretna.  

Interesting.  I find Coach to be a bit of a niche store and the other 2 are a dime a dozen for outlet.  I am surprised that it would boil down to just those 3 stores.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Going to post this in both threads in interest of fairness  ;)

First to clarify the owner / developer that let Nebraska Crossing turn into a dump pile has absolutely nothing to do with the ownership group that is trying to redevelop it now.  It changed hands and that is when some attempt at putting life back into it started. They at least have a vision.

Will Southport or Nebraska Crossing get it done?  I have no idea if one or both will.  I am guessing that one will though  and not both.  The unofficial signs that I see as an observer seem to indicate that NC might have a lead on that race.  The Bass store closed at NC crossing late in 2011.  I was in a couple of times late in there days and talked to a person that told me that they were a profitable store.  Had the option of relocating a couple of times during the rebuild but chose to not go through that but they would be back and had a singed agreement already for new space.  Not clear if it was in the new or redeveloped part of the mall.  The Daycare that is out there was told to move at the first of the year.  They had outside help step in to get that extended until the end of the school year from what I hear.  There have been some of the "local" businesses already mover and there seems to be more happening soon.

As for Southport land were this would be built.  Over the last few days this has been tilled to smooth it out and it looks to me like it has been seeded or soon will be.  While this means nothing in the overall cost I can't see this taking place if the plans are in place to start doing infrastructure work on that site this spring or anything was firm to go ahead.  the ground was ready for construction as it stood.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

OWH has a story today on the two competing outlet developments.  Probably only because of the info that each of the developers was willing to share but the NC part of the story seems to have a bit more detail and firmness to it.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120411/MONEY/704119979

At Nebraska Crossing, the developer says he's working with enough stores to fill more than half the space. An unspecified number of stores have signed leases, and others are in the negotiation stage, said Rod Yates of OTB Destination, based in Park City, Utah.

He hopes to announce tenants for the redeveloped center at the intersection of I-80 and Nebraska Highways 6 and 31 by early May, start construction this summer and aim for a grand opening in August 2013.
In a recent statement, Baltimore developer Cordish Cos. said the company has made "excellent progress" on all aspects of the proposed mall, including leases and design plans, and hopes to start construction this year. The company says it self-finances its developments
Devine said whichever site attracts big-name "anchor tenants" like Nike, Gap and Polo Ralph Lauren will bring in the other brands.

One issue with the La Vista location, Devine said, is that it's closer to existing shopping centers. Justice, for instance, has stores in Westroads and Oak View Malls in Omaha.

Devine and Magid said many companies prefer to have their outlet stores farther from major department stores that sell their products.

However, Magid said that outlet malls are not always located on highways and Interstates between cities. Many cities have grown out to their outlet malls, he said, noting that Las Vegas now has two on opposite sides of the city.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

The renderings of the improved Nebraska Crossing don't make the development look too appealing in my opinion.