Dodge 77 former Piccolos Pointe (77th and Dodge)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Harpoon
Human Relations

Dodge 77 former Piccolos Pointe (77th and Dodge)

Post by Harpoon »

Piccolos Pointe (77th and Dodge)

This $6 Million project has Piccolos Flower Shop moving into the old Roberts Pool and Spa building, demolition of the current Piccolos building, addition of a pizza and BBQ restaurant called "Wiggleville Road" overlooking the Keystone Trail, and a 3-story mixed use building along Dodge with 12 apartments over 7,000 SF of retail that may include a bridal shop, jewelry shop, and stationary shop. Work on the project could start in September, starting with the remodeling of the Roberts building. Nice to see that someone is finally going to embrace the Keystone Trail instead of putting their loading docks up against it. Also, parking will be on the interior of the development, not fronting along Dodge Street. Good start on making the corridor better.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10096588
Hellenistic Kshatriya
Home Owners Association

Post by Hellenistic Kshatriya »

Great improvement.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Apparently Iowa companys and web-sites don't mix. There is no official site for BBC Investments or Wiggleville Road. The Omaha architect Kennith Hahn has a site though....decent stuff, it'll play. A Google search reveals that BBC Investments hasn't really done anything that anyone has put on the Internet and that Wiggleville Road has one other location in Ottumwa, Iowa.

Either way, this sounds like a good project that will help to demolish some of the worst of the |expletive| that lines this part of Dodge.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

Project appears to be moving forward.  There are going to be 3 buildings in total.  The one fronting Dodge will be 3 stories tall with ground floor retail.  Nice Project IMHO...
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

This is still moving forward.  It is scheduled to be discussed on the March 11th city council meeting.  The attached link to the city council agenda has illustrations as well as a site layout.  Very nice project.
http://www.ci.omaha.ne.us/departments/c ... g/292a.pdf
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Construction under wraps at 72nd, Dodge

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10280061
In addition, a Des Moines developer is working to turn property along 77th and Dodge Streets into a combination retail and residential area to be known as Piccolo's Pointe.

Plans for the project, which is estimated to cost $6 million, include remodeling the old Roberts Pool & Spa building to house Piccolo's Florist & Gifts, demolishing the old Piccolo's building and adding a restaurant and retail area closer to the nearby Keystone Trail. A mixed-use, three-story building on Dodge will include 12 two-bedroom apartments above about 7,000 square feet of ground-level retail space.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Plaza redo, retail project coming soon along stretch of Dodge

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10318864

To the east, the Des Moines developer of a $6 million residential and retail project at 77th and Dodge anticipates starting construction in July or August, a project broker said.

That development, called Piccolo's Pointe, involves remodeling the old Roberts Pool & Spa building to house Piccolo's Florist & Gifts, demolishing the old Piccolo's building and adding two new buildings — one for a restaurant and retailer closer to the nearby Keystone Trail and one along Dodge with apartments and retail space.

The building on Dodge will be three stories and will include 12 two-bedroom apartments above about 7,000 square feet of ground-level retail space.
Hellenistic Kshatriya
Home Owners Association

Post by Hellenistic Kshatriya »

Looks awesome, but it's gonna look soooo out of place.
agibson95
Home Owners Association

Post by agibson95 »

Hellenistic Kshatriya wrote:Looks awesome, but it's gonna look soooo out of place.
Once 80Dodge is completed it should fit in a lot better. Maybe one day someone will remove the old grocery store by Best Buy. I cant believe that old building is still there.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

agibson95 wrote:
Hellenistic Kshatriya wrote:Looks awesome, but it's gonna look soooo out of place.
Once 80Dodge is completed it should fit in a lot better. Maybe one day someone will remove the old grocery store by Best Buy. I cant believe that old building is still there.
Add the Children's Hospital expansion to that also.  The corridor will look so different in a few years.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

yeah so, I look out my apartment window at Dodge St.?  Weird indeed.  This project would look nice downtown.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

nebport5 wrote:yeah so, I look out my apartment window at Dodge St.?  Weird indeed.  This project would look nice downtown.
Yeah, am I the only one that thinks these apartments will be a tough sell?  Looking out into BagNSave or the Nebraska Furnature Mart warehouse doesn't sound that great to me.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

nebport5 wrote:This project would look nice downtown.
The sea of parking is fine right where it is, thanks.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Yes it is an upgrade, however I wish they spent a few more bucks and did not save some of the current structures.  It could be even better.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The new Piccolos is open
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Piccolo's Pointe developer dies

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10383094
Christine Laue OWH wrote:Ed Boesen, the Des Moines-based owner of Omaha's three Piccolo's Florist & Gifts and the developer of the planned Piccolo's Pointe retail project at 77th and Dodge Streets, died Tuesday in Davenport, Iowa. He was 43.

Davenport police, acting on a missing-persons report, traced Boesen to a hotel by way of a locating device in his car, where they found he had attempted suicide, police told the Des Moines Register.

Boesen was transported to Genesis Medical Center West, police told the Register, and later died.

Debbie Landon, a spokeswoman for the Boesen Group, confirmed Wednesday that Boesen had died. She said she did not expect any changes to plans for Piccolo's Pointe.

"We're all shocked and grieving right now," Landon said. "We're going to get through this time of grieving for our family member and friend and continue with business."
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

How did this thread go this long without a "Wiggleville" joke?
Stable genius.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

A very sad twist to this issue.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

New owner of Piccolo's will shift one store, add another

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10456427

Sounds like the project is Dead and Piccolo's Leaving:
CHRISTINE LAUE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Ed Boesen, the Des Moines-based owner of Piccolo's, died July 15 in Davenport, Iowa, as a result of an intentional overdose of over-the-counter-drugs, authorities said.

He had planned to develop a $6 million residential and retail project called Piccolo's Pointe, at 77th and Dodge Streets. The former Roberts Pool & Spa building had been remodeled as part of the multiuse plan, which also called for two new buildings — one for a restaurant and retailer.

Since his death, seven banks and two other lenders have filed claims against his estate, some claiming he used false or fraudulent information to acquire loans, according to the Des Moines Register.

The Omaha Piccolo's business was placed for sale following Boesen's death. The banks Boesen owed money and his estate are still negotiating to take control of the 77th and Dodge property, and the property will then be sold, said Tom Failla, the NAI/NP Dodge Commercial Real Estate listing agent for Piccolo's Pointe.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

The good news is that the zoning approvals were based upon a specific plan.  Although it may be dead, it will live on when the next guy comes along and should prevent him from building total |expletive|...
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

I hope one day the Omaha by design rendering is realized for this area.  I believe it had condo towers for the area along the creek.
where the corn meets the concrete
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha condos face more scrutiny

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10471347
CHRISTINE LAUE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:A few Omaha condo projects could break ground later than originally planned, because lenders may require a higher percentage of pre-sales and potential homebuyers may hesitate to commit.

Still, experts say the strength of the local economy and the fact that the condo market is in its early stages set the city apart from other markets.
CHRISTINE LAUE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Not all local projects are so lucky.

Piccolo's Pointe, a planned $6 million residential and retail project at 77th and Dodge Streets, is in limbo after the death of developer Ed Boesen of Des Moines. Boesen committed suicide, according to official records, and since then five lenders have sued his estate for about $26 million. Some have accused Boesen of using false documents to obtain loans.
Choleric
Home Owners Association

Post by Choleric »

Dodge Street site trumps recession

OWH wrote:A developer plans a four-story office building with a first-level restaurant at 77th and Dodge Streets - a site once home to Piccolo's Florist & Gifts and the ill-fated Piccolo's Pointe project, said the broker for the new developer.

The private developer, who declined to be identified, would start construction once 40 to 50 percent of the building is leased - a goal he thinks is attainable by this spring, said the broker, Trenton Magid, president of Coldwell Banker Commercial World Group.

If construction on the $10 million project starts in spring, the building would open in 2010, Magid said.

"We feel it's one of the best locations available in Omaha," he said. "The Dodge Street address in this part of the city is hard to get."

The project, to be called Dodge 77, would sit on a 2.5-acre triangular parcel formerly planned to be Piccolo's Pointe, a $6 million retail and residential project on the north side of Dodge Street between Staples and Burger King, along the Little Papillion Creek.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

He might want to make sure that thing can get approved before worrying too much about good pub.  If that fits, I'll be surprised.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

cdub wrote:He might want to make sure that thing can get approved before worrying too much about good pub.  If that fits, I'll be surprised.
"that thing" is a good way to describe it. Hello 1980's.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

On my way to work this morning I saw a large excavator at the former Piccolos store.  I'm guessing its coming down soon.  Hopefully....what an eyesore!
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Ok, suddenly the 4 sty office building has morphed into a 5 story storage warehouse with parking on the 1st level for a small hotel on Dodge...  yay.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Can you go into more detail? Storage buildings to me imply metal buildings lined with garages for people with |expletive| that they don't need but don't want to get rid of.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Yeah that would look great along Dodge.   :?
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

I noticed today that the former Piccolos (and Rax if I'm not mistaken) was torn down.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Can you go into more detail? Storage buildings to me imply metal buildings lined with garages for people with |expletive| that they don't need but don't want to get rid of.
Well, except that garage doors on the 5th floor are a |expletive| to get to.  Think a warehouse with the doors on the inside.  I'm guessing it will have to look like something other than what it is to get approve but who knows.  I also don't think it fits well enough on the site to gain approval.  I would think a hotel alone should be enough to make a go of it.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

UNOstudent wrote:I noticed today that the former Piccolos (and Rax if I'm not mistaken) was torn down.
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

I heard from someone who heard from someone that a Holiday Inn Express is going in and that the same guy who developed the Holiday Inn Express at the Irvington exit off 680 is the developer. I don't know at all if that's true but just thought I'd throw that out.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

That would be a good thing.  I have stayed at HI Expresses and they are very nice places.  Mid town needs more lodging options.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

That would be WAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better then the previously rumored storage building. One would think a hotel would do well with that proximity to Children's Hospital.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

The Hotel is in front of the storage building.  They are both on the present plan.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

UNOstudent wrote:I noticed today that the former Piccolos (and Rax if I'm not mistaken) was torn down.
A Rax it was, and a D'Lites of America before that.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

cdub wrote:The Hotel is in front of the storage building.  They are both on the present plan.
If the planning department allows a storage building on this property they did not do their job.  A storage building has no business being an a retail corridor like that.  Suttle's new planning director better take that big raise and buy some balls because he needs to reject this plan.
where the corn meets the concrete
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

windsor wrote:
cdub wrote:The Hotel is in front of the storage building.  They are both on the present plan.
If the planning department allows a storage building on this property they did not do their job.  A storage building has no business being an a retail corridor like that.  Suttle's new planning director better take that big raise and buy some balls because he needs to reject this plan.
Who are they building this retail for?  The retail market in this city is over saturated right now.  Can you blame a developer for trying see to it that he doesn't lose money on this investment?
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

bbinks wrote:
A Rax it was, and a D'Lites of America before that.
Darn!  I miss D'Lites.