Westwood Plaza (120th and Center)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Renovation starts at Westwood Plaza
Omaha World Herald wrote:The full renovation, including design concepts used in Seldin's recent transformation of Montclair Center at 132nd Street and West Center Road, will be completed by fall of 2008.
It was only a matter of time before this area was updated. Now lets see if their neighbors to the north will do anything.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Renovation Underway:

Brad
City Council

Re: Westwood Plaza (120th and Center)

Post by Brad »

According to Grow Omaha, a new retail building will be going up where the old McDonald's was on Center.

No tenants announced yet.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Westwood Plaza additions will try to lure drivers off West Center
By Barbara Soderlin / World-Herald staff writer wrote:As many as six or seven new retail businesses could be added to Westwood Plaza when a new building is completed in mid-2015 at the shopping center southwest of 120th Street and West Center Road.

Seldin Co. will construct an 11,500-square-foot building on the former site of a McDonald’s, between McAlister’s Deli and IHOP. Affiliated firm World Group will handle leasing and management.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Put residential in it too!!
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

The old section of Westwood has a number of open bays already. Are they trying to kill it for good?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:A new retail building will be going up where the old McDonald's was on Center.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Original Draught House

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

zippy wrote:
There's also a new place going in next to the Papa Murphy's at about 126th and Center: https://www.facebook.com/Originaldraughthouse
Does anybody know anything about it?
http://www.bartrove.com/bar/66281536720 ... ught+House

Looks like this is a Sports bar which will be placed in the parcel between Mcalisters Deli and IHOP at 124th and West Center Rd..

The link states 32 beers on tap.. Nice!...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nativeomahan
County Board

Re: Local Breweries

Post by nativeomahan »

The World Herald covered this today. Called the Original Draught House, a tap room and restaurant out of Des Moines.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Westwood is getting their own escape room, I think it will be called Mind Meld.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Coyote wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:23 pm Westwood is getting their own escape room, I think it will be called Mind Meld.
I recently went to my first one near Aksarben. I think they're fun. I'll have to try this one out when it opens.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I know a lot of people who have been to Aksarben's The Escape Omaha and really had a great time.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Anybody been to Westwood 8 recently? Wondering what kind of shape it's in.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Greg S wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:15 pm Anybody been to Westwood 8 recently? Wondering what kind of shape it's in.
My family has been there in the last few months. It was similar to it condition last year. First time we went was a couple years, so I don't know what it used to be like. Seats are older, but work. The concrete floors are pretty sticky. The rooms have an interesting smell (not good). Projectors were fine and speakers were fine, but didn't produce as good a picture or sound as the major theaters, obviously.

Why do you ask? Are the owners planning to sell it or renovate it (it could use it)?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

ita wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:42 pm
Greg S wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:15 pm Anybody been to Westwood 8 recently? Wondering what kind of shape it's in.
My family has been there in the last few months. It was similar to it condition last year. First time we went was a couple years, so I don't know what it used to be like. Seats are older, but work. The concrete floors are pretty sticky. The rooms have an interesting smell (not good). Projectors were fine and speakers were fine, but didn't produce as good a picture or sound as the major theaters, obviously.

Why do you ask? Are the owners planning to sell it or renovate it (it could use it)?

Was debating on going. Last time there, several years ago, there was a smell too, was hoping they got rid of it along with sticky floors...
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Greg S wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:40 pm
ita wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:42 pm

Was debating on going. Last time there, several years ago, there was a smell too, was hoping they got rid of it along with sticky floors...
People have been robbed in there a few times. That is good enough reason to stay out of there for sure even for 6ft 1 250 pound strong guys like me!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

What, do they whisper “Excuse me, but could I squeeze by you? Thanks. By the way, I don’t mean to disturb anyone else in the theatre, but can I have your purse and wallet?”
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

nativeomahan wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:29 pm What, do they whisper “Excuse me, but could I squeeze by you? Thanks. By the way, I don’t mean to disturb anyone else in the theatre, but can I have your purse and wallet?”
It mostly happens when there is hardly anyone watching the movie. It is pitch black in there and you can hardly see and the bad guys got the cover of the movies audio track playing. You can be pretty vulnerable in that type of situation. I almost got robbed in the theater that used to be down on 36th & L St so I'm one of the idiots who had to learn the hard way before it sunk in. We were the only 2 in the theater and 4 guys came up and sat around us and boxed us in. I don't think they were gay either. They were there to rob us and we knew it instantly and jumped up running. They mumbled some trash but did not tackle us or chase us. I could of got stabbed if the thing had played out badly I suspect.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Oh, where to begin...
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

nativeomahan wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:42 pm Oh, where to begin...
I apologize if you are gay and I offended you. No offense was intended I just meant I don't think those 4 guys were surrounding us for a "tug and rub" session. :hi:
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I am pretty darn sure that 4 men collectively looking for love are going to pay their $7 or whatever each to go to a “pitch black” movie theatre with night goggles so they can make out the sex, age and appearance of other patrons, so they can sit next to them and make them an offer they can’t refuse. So why even mention that as a possibility?
I’ve been to my share of movies over the years. And I have dealt with my share of obnoxious theater patrons, who won’t shut up, won’t stay off their phone, bring a crying or fussy child with them, cough and sneeze through the entire film, etc. I know that bad things can happen in theaters (Aurora, Colorado). But I just find some things a bit hard to imagine happening in a movie theater. For one thing there is the box office person and ticket takers (and concession people) to ID them, especially easy to do if it was a slow day. Most would be crooks wouldn’t go to that trouble.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

nativeomahan wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:24 pm I am pretty darn sure that 4 men collectively looking for love are going to pay their $7 or whatever each to go to a “pitch black” movie theatre with night goggles so they can make out the sex, age and appearance of other patrons, so they can sit next to them and make them an offer they can’t refuse. So why even mention that as a possibility?
I’ve been to my share of movies over the years. And I have dealt with my share of obnoxious theater patrons, who won’t shut up, won’t stay off their phone, bring a crying or fussy child with them, cough and sneeze through the entire film, etc. I know that bad things can happen in theaters (Aurora, Colorado). But I just find some things a bit hard to imagine happening in a movie theater. For one thing there is the box office person and ticket takers (and concession people) to ID them, especially easy to do if it was a slow day. Most would be crooks wouldn’t go to that trouble.
In the late 60s and early 70's when we would go to the theaters with balconies we would go up and watch the fun and games going on in the seats below. Often the theaters would be deserted so the balcony would be roped off. We would sneak up there and watch the movie and the circus show going on in the seats below. This is g-rated forum so I guess that is about as far as I can go on that story.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I attended the Crest Theater once. That was enough for me.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The "Original Draught House" closed and something new is going in. The "Coming Soon" sign has a picture of a fish on it. They must not be changing much inside because I only see a permit for a new sign and nothing else.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Brad wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:42 pm The "Original Draught House" closed and something new is going in. The "Coming Soon" sign has a picture of a fish on it. They must not be changing much inside because I only see a permit for a new sign and nothing else.
A friend posted this on his FB page. Ahi Sushi. https://www.facebook.com/Ahi-Sushi-Rame ... 2N2jvkHWkA

We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Uffda wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:19 pm
Brad wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:42 pm The "Original Draught House" closed and something new is going in. The "Coming Soon" sign has a picture of a fish on it. They must not be changing much inside because I only see a permit for a new sign and nothing else.
A friend posted this on his FB page. Ahi Sushi. https://www.facebook.com/Ahi-Sushi-Rame ... 2N2jvkHWkA

Yeah- I think that place was doomed from the beginning. When they opened, I think back in the fall of 2016, I went there the night before Thanksgiving which we all know is a huge bar night..and was completely unimpressed with the tap list and the food. Never went back. And with the multitude of superior craft tap room offerings now in the metro, I was not surprised to drive by recently and noticed it closed...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I wish them success. Honestly though I drive down that stretch of road at least monthly when in town, I have never noticed that the former tap house even existed there.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

On my last visit to Half Price Books I noticed that McCalister's Deli was closed. That place was a one and done for me.
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

Same with me, went once don’t need to go again. Be interesting to see what goes in there and how long it stays vacant. Westwood usually does a pretty good job of finding new tenants. As the shopping center appears fairly healthy looking.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

bbinks wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:21 am On my last visit to Half Price Books I noticed that McCalister's Deli was closed. That place was a one and done for me.
Almost a year. March 31st 2019.
viewtopic.php?t=14211
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

What was wrong with McCalister's? I had it for the first time recently when it was catered in for a work meeting and thought it was delicious. I've been disappointed with Panera consistently eliminating my favorite sandwiches and was hoping this could be an alternative.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:13 am What was wrong with McCalister's? I had it for the first time recently when it was catered in for a work meeting and thought it was delicious. I've been disappointed with Panera consistently eliminating my favorite sandwiches and was hoping this could be an alternative.
Panera and McAlisters are both kinda skimpy, though McAllister's salads are very dense. They have a location at 72nd & Jones. I watch my sodium intake closely, so that pretty much eliminates 80% - 90% of pretty much all of my restaurant prepared food/fast food options. One of the acceptable options is the half horseradish beef sandwich and side salad combo. Of the 5 or so times I had that, only once did it feel like I got my moneys worth for the sandwich. Again, the salads are always generous, but the sandwiches, in my experience, have been mostly bread and left me wondering if the filling fell out in transit. The minimal filling tasted really good, but dang. Get a smaller bun so I don't think I should be getting more, or something.

Same case with Panera. Been about 5 years since I had that. Tried pretty hard to like it throughout my life, but I'm pretty solidly done with both.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

I've had the same problem with Panera. Every time I go in there they've changed something, and usually not for the better.

There is a sanwich or two at McCalister's that I do like, but for whatever reason I just don't usually get a hankering for it. The one on 72nd is always so empty when we go by, I wonder how they stay in business. Maybe I'm just not there at the right times.

If I'm in the mood for that sort of place, we usually end up at Jasons Deli.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Is Westwood Cinema 8 still alive?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:18 pm Is Westwood Cinema 8 still alive?
No, I believe it recently closed.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:43 pm
Coyote wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:18 pm Is Westwood Cinema 8 still alive?
No, I believe it recently closed.
Yeah. They were still running movies through this past weekend, but they have officially closed as of today, after a 20 year run. Sad.. The good news is the former AMC 24 will reopen under a new operation called B&B Theaters out of Kansas City, MO. No timeline for the reopening, but hopefully within a year..this will help fill the area void…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha movie theater Westwood Cinemas 8 closes after over 30 years in business

Westwood Cinemas 8 was a value-priced theater and offered movies after their first run. The theater, located near 125th Street and West Center Road, opened in 1989. An online auction will be held in late May or early June and will include over 5,000 movie posters, digital projectors and more, according to The Auction Mill.
hallowEve
New to the Neighborhood

Post by hallowEve »

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I saw the other day that they are adding an El Vallarta Mexican Restaurant next to Half Price Books.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

hallowEve wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:08 am Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I saw the other day that they are adding an El Vallarta Mexican Restaurant next to Half Price Books.
https://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic. ... ta#p350032