192nd & Dodge plans

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

192nd & Dodge plans

Post by Coyote »

Methodist plans its piece of 192nd, Dodge gateway

Methodist Health System has plans for vacant land it owns at 192nd Street and West Dodge Road.

But for the time being, they don't involve a new hospital.

Nebraska Methodist Health System Inc. has submitted zoning plans to the City Planning Department for a 38-acre commercial, office and retail development on the intersection's northeast corner.

With a high-profile location, Methodist already is meeting higher expectations for its development.

The Omaha By Design initiative envisions 192nd and Dodge becoming part of a distinctive city center, with a grand, tree-filled, flag-lined gateway into Omaha. The Omaha Planning Board delayed consideration of the plans Wednesday so Methodist can redesign its development more in that vein.

Methodist spokesman Ed Rider said the plans are meant to be general. He said Methodist will develop some sort of medical facility there, whether that's a hospital, a clinic or something else.

"As the western gateway to Omaha, we believe this is a great strategic location for future expansion," Stephen Long, Health System president and CEO, said in a statement.

Nebraska Methodist Health System has held the land since 2001.

As Methodist weighs the future of that land, other hospitals are staking out a new presence in west Omaha.

This summer, Alegent Health opened Lakeside Hospital at 168th Street and West Center Road. The Nebraska Medical Center has announced plans for a cancer center and hospital at 180th and Dodge.

Methodist's proposed development is called Skyline East Professional Park.

In plans submitted to the city, a proposed layout envisions a row of two- and three-story offices and sites for a small clinic, convenience store, fast-food restaurants, bank, video store and shopping center. The largest site includes a 60,000-square-foot retail store, about the size of a supermarket.

Planning Director Bob Peters said the development can become much more than what was proposed, in part by making it more pedestrian-friendly.

"You want to present a stronger civic image," he said.

Long said Methodist has no current construction plans for the property. Long said Methodist wants zoning approval "so we can proceed without delay once we finalize our development objectives."

The Planning Board held over a vote on the proposal for 60 days.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

Why is there a need for 3 hospitals in such a close proximity to one another. I mean there's the Lakeside, the one that will go in west village point, and now this? Com'on thats a little much isn't it?
OhioStreetKid
Home Owners Association

Post by OhioStreetKid »

I think this answers the question of why we need hospitals in West O. There certainly seems to be a demand for them. Alegent is already giving consideration to moving up the time frame of building another tower at their Lakeside facility.
New Lakeside Hospital hurrying to make more room

BY NICHOLE AKSAMIT

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Alegent Health this week began work to finish portions of its newest hospital, but it still isn't clear how soon a second tower might be built.

Lakeside Hospital opened in August near 168th Street and West Center Road. It's the only full-service hospital in western Douglas County.

Less than four months later, officials say west Omaha population growth and demand for hospital services are outpacing their projections. Shelled expansion space on the third and fourth floors now needs to be completed.

"In the last month, we've had eight days where we have either been close to capacity or full," said Karen Sweeney, the hospital's chief nurse executive.

So far, she said, Lakeside has kept patients in licensed emergency room beds until a regular hospital bed opens and hasn't had to divert patients to other hospitals. "We were close once, though," she said.

That's why the hospital is hurrying to complete 32 patient rooms on the fourth floor. Because demand for obstetrical beds also has been high, the hospital will complete unfinished space on the third floor to expand postpartum rooms, as well as add two labor, delivery and recovery rooms and four intensive care rooms. The $7 million project is to wrap up by June 30.

Even before opening, the hospital had plans for a second tower that would nearly double the hospital's size. Sweeney said there are no immediate plans to begin work on that tower.

"But as our census goes up, I'm sure our leadership will be looking closely at when we need to add on," she said.
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

Well if Omaha's population is at 405,000 and Douglas County is approaching 500,000 you're talking about nearly 100,000 people in the western half of the county plus Saunders County with a population of about 30,000 I can see where there will be a need in the next few years for more hospitals in western Douglas County.
sokkerdewd
Home Owners Association

Post by sokkerdewd »

I'm still surprised that at 144th and Maple, I'm still about 6 miles from the nearest hospital. Why not put one up in NW Omaha?
sokkerdewd
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

That what I was thinking. We will soon possibly have 3 in southwest Omaha and they are within maybe 4 miles of eachother.
CountOfMC
Library Board

Post by CountOfMC »

Is the bridge on 192nd & Dodge being built concurrently with the one on 180th? I know the latter is to be done in 2006 but why not bang out the other one while they're at it?

Sign me up for the late night shift Scottie.. I'll give ya all I got.
God created alcohol to keep the Irish from taking over the world!
CountOfMC
Library Board

Post by CountOfMC »

Ok, I checked this out last night and am so damn glad they're working on it simultaneously w/ the one on 180th. I was afraid they were going to wait until this one was done. However, it's taken on a different setup with the underpass being a North/South route instead of East/West like we've seen with all other bridges. Tho I guess 204th is the same way. This must be a will from God! Say it ain't so...
God created alcohol to keep the Irish from taking over the world!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

they just started grading 192 about 3 weeks ago, 192 will be a "rural interchange" simmlar to 132nd street while 204 and 180 are "urban interchanges" similar to 144, 156,168, the only difference is that 204 is "upside down".
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Isn't it amazing that 180th, 192nd, and 204th were all started around the same time. Normally that would have taken lets say 10 years for each?

More on topic, but anyone heard how the plans are doing in this area?
cvoge
New to the Neighborhood

Post by cvoge »

Anyone know if 180th street is going to be extended to Blondo ?
I hate Old Lincoln Hi-Way.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Anyone know if 180th street is going to be extended to Blondo ?
I hate Old Lincoln Hi-Way.
your not kiddin there :!:

Harpoon
Human Relations

Methodist announces their plans for a new Hospital

Post by Harpoon »

It will be an $80 Million Women's Hospital at the Northeast corner of 192nd and Dodge as soon as 2008.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Wow 192nd soon we will be using the Platter River as a reference. “No the Starbucks west of the Platte on Dodge”…..
15-17, 26, 32
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Not to mention the Elkhorn River
Whale Shark
Home Owners Association

Post by Whale Shark »

They better hurry and build that beltway. :D
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

That may just be started when the CB freeway overhaul is finishing up. I hope sooner though you’re right.
15-17, 26, 32
Raraavis
Library Board

Post by Raraavis »

The Omaha Metro seems to have a lot of Hospitals for it's population.

Bellevue
Erhling Berquist Hospital (Air Force)

Council Bluffs
Jennie Edmundson Hospital
Mercy Hospital

Omaha
St. Joesph Hospital
Veterans Hospital
UNMC
Clarkson Hospital
Methodist Hospital
Childrens Hospital
Bergan Mercy Hospital
Immanuel Hospital
Lakeside Hospital
Village Point West
192nd and Dodge

Papillion
Midlands Hospital
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

almighty_tuna wrote:Not to mention the Elkhorn River
You mean the West Omaha River? ;)

-Big E
Stable genius.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

You mean the West Omaha River?
Haha, they can't change the name of the river though, can they?

Not to get off topic here, but how far is that annexation? It's going to be heard by the Nebraska Supreme Court in a year and should have answer in about a year or so, right?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

More projects planned to the west
Omaha World Herald wrote:• Elk Ridge: Dial Realty Corp. plans a multi-story condo building on the east shore of a lake that is under construction west of 192nd Street between West Dodge Road and Blondo Street.

• Five Fountains: The new development at 192nd Street and West Dodge Road by NP Dodge Real Estate and Horgan Development, aimed primarily at homes starting at $500,000 and villas starting at $400,000, includes land zoned for three mid-rise condo towers of 72 units each.

• Tribedo: A mixed-use development planned for 168th Street and West Dodge Road is awaiting final city approval. Depending on what is approved, the project would include a condo tower with 100 to 200 units.
stomsu
New to the Neighborhood

Post by stomsu »

Raraavis wrote:The Omaha Metro seems to have a lot of Hospitals for it's population.

Bellevue
Erhling Berquist Hospital (Air Force)

Council Bluffs
Jennie Edmundson Hospital
Mercy Hospital

Omaha
St. Joesph Hospital
Veterans Hospital
UNMC
Clarkson Hospital
Methodist Hospital
Childrens Hospital
Bergan Mercy Hospital
Immanuel Hospital
Lakeside Hospital
Village Point West
192nd and Dodge

Papillion
Midlands Hospital
It may seem like a lot of hospitals, but the use rate is rather constant. As the population increases, along with the age of that population, the need for hospitals grows. Additionally, Omaha is becoming more of a regional medical destination than just a servant of the local community. The cancer and cardiac care offered in Omaha is drawing from all over southwest Iowa, across Nebraska and even beyond. You'd be surprised to see how many travel in to Omaha for care - in fact, the Comfort Inn at 87th & West Dodge (as was the EconoLodge at 83rd & Dodge) is heavily used by family of patients at Methodist.

Additionally, the demand for private rooms has increased the overall room need and thus more hospitals needed. Even if the bed need remained the same, eliminating semi-private rooms doubles the space needed just to retain the same number of beds for the community.  Private rooms used to be a luxury, but with the notion of community acquired diseases, private rooms are becoming necessary to make sure people don't get infections or other air-born diseases from roommates.

Having quality medical care in Omaha is a great thing and I believe its a major component of decisions by other corporations to locate here. As for the location of those hospitals - using the Dodge Street Corridor is and has always been popular. Access is much better and is more centralized. Personally, I was surprised it took as long as it did to have hospitals west of 90th st.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I love how West Dodge is just becoming a freeway lined with new homes, shopping centers, businesses, office parks, and churches.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
West2Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by West2Omaha »

On that note, since it has been built to interstate specs, when will it start being called an interstate/freeway and begin appearing as one on maps?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

West2Omaha wrote:On that note, since it has been built to interstate specs, when will it start being called an interstate/freeway and begin appearing as one on maps?
Good point.  The speed limit is now 65 MPH from west of 156th all the way to the construction in Fremont. (Had been for a couple of weeks.)

-Big E
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I thought there was another thread?

The work has begun:

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:

windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

I never realized how big this was off of the rendering.
where the corn meets the concrete
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

The new Methodist Women's Hospital has announced its plan to open at the beginning of June 2010.

http://www.methodistforwomen.org/for-women/
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130812/M ... tersection

Fountain West
The Fountain West Office Park, planned on 40 acres southeast of the West Dodge Road and 192nd Street intersection, would be the West Des Moines-based R&R Realty Group's foray into the Omaha market.
R&R, which has been around 28 years and owns and manages 6 million square feet of commercial space in the Des Moines metro area, was to submit its formal proposal to city officials this week. Price tag: $75 million to $100 million.
Specific design plans for Fountain West have yet to be drawn, but Rupprecht and Bosworth say it would contain up to eight multistory brick and glass buildings with about 540,000 square feet of office space for lease.

Known for its signature water features, R&R said the focal point of the Omaha project would be a pyramid-shaped fountain that lights up in the evening.
Gateway Park
Documents submitted to the city show the proposed Gateway Park spanning about 72 acres and including a 500-unit apartment complex as well as about 14 lots for office and retail commercial use. No price tag was provided.

Hofer told city officials earlier that his company had spent millions of dollars and seven years amassing control of more than 200 acres around the intersection, including the land designated today as Gateway Park.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

That is a lot of construction if both projects hit at the same time.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I'm a little concerned about the part that talks about forced condemnation of the farm property to the southwest. How was that even on the table for greenfield development?
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

"I want to say one word to you. Just one word."..."Are you listening?"..."Plastics".
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

So many things to dislike about this. There is another "business park" like this with First National down the road. There is another shopping center with Village Pointe even closer. To top that, this could lower demand for downtown development.

Plus, I liked being able to drive past some green fields on my way home on 192nd.

Just another lame suburban sprawl deal, but whatever floats their boat.
No posts exist for this topic
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

"The Omaha By Design initiative envisions 192nd and Dodge becoming part of a distinctive city center, with a grand, tree-filled, flag-lined gateway into Omaha. The Omaha Planning Board delayed consideration of the plans Wednesday so Methodist can redesign its development more in that vein. "

So that whole grand, tree-filled, flag-lined gateway thing from 2004 is so last decade?
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

If this pans out all corners of that intersection will be developed.. amazing considering 6-7 years ago it was still very much out in the middle of no where. How long before there is no separation between western Omaha and Elkhorn? It has to be getting close..
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Where is the proposed Madonna Rehab campus in relation to all of this?  Isn't it right out in that vecinity too?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Ben wrote:Where is the proposed Madonna Rehab campus in relation to all of this?  Isn't it right out in that vecinity too?
Nope, that's on the west end of Village point.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Brad wrote:
Ben wrote:Where is the proposed Madonna Rehab campus in relation to all of this?  Isn't it right out in that vecinity too?
Nope, that's on the west end of Village point.
Thanks for the clarification.  The whole area past 168th st just melds together in my mind as the way the heck out there, and I forget that 168th and 192nd are actually a fair ways apart.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MadMartin8 wrote:So many things to dislike about this. There is another "business park" like this with First National down the road. There is another shopping center with Village Pointe even closer. To top that, this could lower demand for downtown development.

Plus, I liked being able to drive past some green fields on my way home on 192nd.

Just another lame suburban sprawl deal, but whatever floats their boat.
The business park across from Boy's Town is almost entirely leased and is getting one of it's last major plot filled as we speak.  Plus as the article noted we are painfully short on Class A space in the city.  I also don't think there are many companies that would consider space on 192nd if they were really interested in downtown space.

This is also big because it will keep ALOT of business in the city limits and on the city tax rolls.  As much as we see Sarpy growing like crazy we still don't see anything close to this office wise in Papillion or La Vista.  This even more solidifies Omaha as king on the metro.  If you go look at places like KC and Des Moines they have some major office space in their suburbs and in the case of KC, the Kansas side has pulled a number of MO side businesses with major incentives.  Omaha still houses almost every major office employer in the metro, PayPal being the major exception.

I am never a complete fan of furthering sprawl, but this is positive growth for the city and we already have developed well past this intersection.  Obviously I would prefer 540K in spec space downtown, but in reality the suburban market is still on fire.  This fills a need.

And the apartment/retail side is whatever.  Apartments will always fill up and I don't think they will get destination retail.  Probably a drug store and a few strip malls.