Long John Silvers/A&W Rootbeer 84th and Giles

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Hoop
Home Owners Association

Long John Silvers/A&W Rootbeer 84th and Giles

Post by Hoop »

There is a sign in the former Bakery building at 84th and Giles Rd announcing a Long John Silvers and A&W Root beer coming soon.  I think this will be a 1st for both in Sarpy County.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I thought we already had a thread on this but I was wrong.

Then I Remembered that John Hoich talked about it on the Grow Omaha Radio Program back in August.

Good Get for LaVista, I really don't know about the location.
a42887
Home Owners Association

Post by a42887 »

Heck freakin yes!  I've been craving A&W root beer floats for so long, and have to go to Sioux City to get it.  It just tastes better from the restaurant.  I might as well make a donation to the builder to have a seat labeled with my name, because they aren't gonna be able to keep me away.  Amazing.

EDIT: What building is this going into?  I'm not remembering a bakery building (not down there all to much).
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

a42887 wrote:Heck freakin yes!  I've been craving A&W root beer floats for so long, and have to go to Sioux City to get it.  It just tastes better from the restaurant.  I might as well make a donation to the builder to have a seat labeled with my name, because they aren't gonna be able to keep me away.  Amazing.
Isn't there still one in the Amigo's, Winchells, KFC, Fatburger, etc. joint on 84th and Dodge?
Hoop
Home Owners Association

Post by Hoop »

The building is to the east of Bank of the West, its a stand alone building also near Bones BBQ (Formerly Bostons).
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

joeglow wrote:Isn't there still one in the Amigo's, Winchells, KFC, Fatburger, etc. joint on 84th and Dodge?
Almost...
I think this Month it is a Coffee Shop/ Amigo's/ A&W

a42887 wrote:EDIT: What building is this going into?  I'm not remembering a bakery building (not down there all to much).
Like I said its not the best location.  It was probably build 10 years ago and has been empty most of the time...
a42887
Home Owners Association

Post by a42887 »

joeglow wrote:
a42887 wrote:Heck freakin yes!  I've been craving A&W root beer floats for so long, and have to go to Sioux City to get it.  It just tastes better from the restaurant.  I might as well make a donation to the builder to have a seat labeled with my name, because they aren't gonna be able to keep me away.  Amazing.
Isn't there still one in the Amigo's, Winchells, KFC, Fatburger, etc. joint on 84th and Dodge?
That is now just Amigos, Some Bakery, and something else (I drive past it everyday and can't remember for the life of me the other two).  A&W left some time ago.

EDIT: Oops, was working and didn't see the other response.  The A&W sign has been gone for some time, so unless they just make it inside and don't have it on the sign, its gone.  The third is maybe Kings?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That right it is Kings this month

Coffee Burgers and Mexican... That's what I call one stop shopping.
annad
Home Owners Association

Post by annad »

As far as I know, the only A&Ws currently open in Omaha are inside CoCo Key Water Resort and at the airport.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

annad wrote:As far as I know, the only A&Ws currently open in Omaha are inside CoCo Key Water Resort and at the airport.
But will they have **REAL** A&W Root Beer?

The time I remember going to the so-called A&W place out in Millard by the car dealership it tasted like that bottled root beer flavored soda they sell in the supermarket!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

There used to be an A&W around 60th and Ames that had the best Root Beer ever.
They use to sell it in a half gallon cardboard containers.
I don't know if they had different ingredients but they were way better than what you get in today's aluminum cans.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Coyote wrote:There used to be an A&W around 60th and Ames that had the best Root Beer ever.
They use to sell it in a half gallon cardboard containers.
I don't know if they had different ingredients but they were way better than what you get in today's aluminum cans.
I remember that one well. It was on the corner of Fontenelle Blvd and Ames.

There were a few other places in the area that had real root beer too. One out in Millard more or less where Hobby Lobby is now, and another on 84th just south of Center. The one in Millard had take-out root beer in plastic jugs.

They just don't seem to make real root beer anymore. When I was young, I remember both Masons and Boylans (the root beer you eat with a spoon) as having real root beer in bottles, and not just root beer flavor soda like they have now. I also remember Birch Beer, but when I say that today people look at me like I'm from Mars or something. Even those esoteric soda brands don't seem to have real root beer in bottles.

Upstream's root beer is ok, but not like you used to get, and ex$pen$ive! :(

Yeah, I know, b*tch-b*tch-b*tch! :)
nativeomahan
County Board

Re: Long John Silvers/A&W Rootbeer 84th and Giles

Post by nativeomahan »

Hoop wrote:There is a sign in the former Bakery building at 84th and Giles Rd announcing a Long John Silvers and A&W Root beer coming soon.  I think this will be a 1st for both in Sarpy County.
There is a LJS on Galvin Rd. in Bellevue.  It was recently remodeled, and has plasma TVs inside now.
Lizard
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Lizard »

a42887 wrote:What building is this going into?  I'm not remembering a bakery building (not down there all to much).
It's on Giles, just barely east of the 84th intersection... right next to the bank building on the corner and close to the road.  The building has been vacant for quite a long time... 2 years or more I think.  

A&W there will be awesome, I can't wait to go and get a root beer & fried mushrooms (assuming they still sell those).  I'm not a LJS fan though.

On a similar note, that drive-through multi-food place on 84th and Dodge is terrible, I don't know how they stay in business.  I went there once (when they had A&W) and I thought I was gonna shear off a mirror trying to get through the drive-thru.  :D  Never bothered to go back.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Brad wrote:That right it is Kings this month

Coffee Burgers and Mexican... That's what I call one stop shopping.
Are they good coffeeburgers?
jcitta
Home Owners Association

Post by jcitta »

Thats great that at A&W will be in Omaha.  I absolutely love them.  Everytime I make it back to Columbus I always stop there to get me some food!