Werner Park - Sarpy County/Royals Stadium

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

It's time to face the reality..

Omaha is he!! bent on marketing itself as a college/event ONLY town..With little, if any room for top notch minor league sports..The minimizing of Omaha's 'professional' sports options will be complete once the Royals leave town..And mark it down: The Royals WILL leave metro Omaha after the 2010 season. I honestly don't blame them either..

Enjoy your high school and college level hockey and baseball Omaha. That's been the plan...and that's what we've been reduced to...Oh, and don't forget to enjoy and attend your events...The next time we celebrate another attendance record for a swim trial meet...Lets also remember we lost our AAA baseball team due to treating them as a red-headed afterthought..

Congrats Omaha!..

:roll:  :oops:  ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Last edited by Omaha Cowboy on Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I hope not Lou!  

Action 3 News just showed a serious rendering of southport with a ballpark.

Funny thing, there is already something in the works there...
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I think Sarpy county and supporters are smokin something if they think their bid will beat out a right sized new ballpark in some other cities downtown. Look at Memphis, Oklahoma City, Indy, etc to see that downtown AAA stadiums are the shiz. Sorry but Cabela's is not an amenity.

I posted this in the ballpark specific thread and thought I'd copy it over. I'm trying to hold out hope that people will wake up and get the Royals downtown after all, but I'm not holding my breath.

What the heck is MECA thinking? They can't get a deal done that a AAA ballclub finds economically feasible, but some independent league team is gonna find it swell? If they can do something on any of those numbers to land some rinky dink team, they can do the same to get the Royals downtown. FRUSTRATION!!!!!!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I hope not either Brad..But my gut feeling is that the Omaha Royals playing in a Sarpy county stadium is a pipe dream..

Stein and the Royals are leaving town after 2010..I suspect divine intervention is the only thing that can stop it..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Last edited by Omaha Cowboy on Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Go Cowboys!
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

big bummer
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I hope Sarpy comes through.  Community America BP in KC is doing very well.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

As far as $3 parking is concerned I think that's pretty easy.  Any group that commits to 70 plus dates per year for several years can have $3 parking.  That pretty muchs ends the discussion right there because the Royals are the only tenant  that gives that to MECA.

Greg
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Even Tom Shatel is throwing in the towel..

From the Thursday W-H on line addition:

'Tom Shatel: Royals vs. Omaha: a sensible divorce
BY TOM SHATEL
WORLD-HERALD COLUMNIST

I'm not an expert on the subject of divorce, nor do I ever plan to be, but sometimes the "D word" is just inevitable.

That's the case with the "Royals vs. City of Omaha."

OK, technically, the Royals could still be in "Omaha" and play in La Vista. Maybe they could take a cue from the Angels and call them the "Omaha Royals of La Vista."

As far as downtown Omaha, it's over. Draw up the papers.

Omaha has always made the College World Series its first choice. The city has never made that a secret. The Royals and their various owners have understood that fact of life for years. There are no hard feelings. The Royals are beyond feeling like a scorned lover. The new stadium was just the right excuse to break away.

Yes, the Royals had a "sweetheart deal." But that was arranged by previous mayors, along with Warren Buffett and Walter Scott, to keep the team in Omaha. Buffett recently told me that he would stand by whatever Royals President Alan Stein decided. So there you go.

The only losers are the few thousand Class AAA fans who gave their time, money and love to this franchise. Hopefully that loyalty will be rewarded by the Royals staying in the area, just to the west down I-80.

About that: If the leaders in La Vista are bold and smart, they will jump in and act as the rebound cushion for this divorce.

La Vista officials and voters would be crazy not to jump on this opportunity. With Stein's pledge to help finance a new park, along with ballpark naming rights, La Vista might have to divvy up $10 million to $20 million for a $30 million to $35 million park.

There are at least two reasons Stein might help make this work. One, he genuinely likes this area and thinks that Class AAA baseball can thrive here, in the right environment. Two, I think that there's a part of him that would like to put on a show during the CWS fortnight, with promotions and fireworks and little league parades.

Meanwhile, there's a lot of concern about what to do with a 24,000-seat stadium for 50 weeks a year.

Creighton will play there and won't care that the massive structure will dwarf Missouri Valley Conference baseball crowds of 1,000 to 2,000. It saves CU from having to spend money on its own stadium. And you can recruit to the home of the CWS, yada, yada.

There will be the occasional outdoor concert or festival. I've heard talk of an outdoor ice skating rink in the new stadium during the winter. Just watch that turn going into the outfield wall.

An American Association team, the lowest form of professional baseball, would not sell in Omaha. It would be downright lunacy to bring one in if the Royals remain in La Vista - wouldn't Stein love that battle for fans in the same community? Even if the Royals leave the area, I don't see many folks getting excited about a Saltdogs-level team.'..

The complete Tom Shatel column link:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10399876

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

People don't get excited about the Royals right now.

Heck, if you read the Royals statements about the ballpark, the people on the this forum and sportswriters are the only ones who care about the level of minor league baseball.  Dad goes to watch part of a game, the kids run around on the playground equipment and splash in the pool, and mom reads a book.  They even said that most fans couldn't tell you the score as they left the stadium.  It's not about the game, it's about the atmosphere.

I think we'll have professional baseball in the Omaha area in 2011.  Maybe it's the Royals; this might just be a negotiating ploy.  More likely it's an independent league team playing Sioux City, Lincoln, and Kansas City.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Yeah, listen to Mike... we don't need no stinking Knights... we don't need no stinking Royals.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Greg S wrote:I hope Sarpy comes through.  Community America BP in KC is doing very well.

Greg
I think Greg is on to something here, alot of people are pointing out the success of DT stadiums but dont forget about those successful suburb stadiums. I know KC has one that is doing good, and I know a suburb outside of Fayetteville built a AA stadium for the Royals and they are cramming them in there. These are only two examples there are more, stadiums are either being put in suburbs or DTs in cities, we could have both, think about it.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Stargazer wrote:Yeah, listen to Mike... we don't need no stinking Knights... we don't need no stinking Royals.
I hope your joking right.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Mike has been on a mission to promote our attaining the lowest level of sports entertainment possible.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Who doesn't get excited?  there was 11,044 on Saturday and the was only 5th largest of the season!  So what there were fireworks for 3 out of the other 4 ahead of them, they are still doing way better and the management is going a great job increasing attendance this season.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote:they are still doing way better and the management is going a great job increasing attendance this season.
So why can't they set their sites on filling a 24,000 seat downtown stadium?  Because no one has ever done it before?

If there's such an untapped demand for this product they should be crawling all over themselves to take advantage of what will be the best minor league stadium in the country.

MECA and the Royals should both be kicked squarely in the 'nads for this one.
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:
Brad wrote:they are still doing way better and the management is going a great job increasing attendance this season.
So why can't they set their sites on filling a 24,000 seat downtown stadium?  Because no one has ever done it before?

If there's such an untapped demand for this product they should be crawling all over themselves to take advantage of what will be the best minor league stadium in the country.

MECA and the Royals should both be kicked squarely in the 'nads for this one.
Because they way they are doing it is giving away $1 hot dogs, $1 Beers, 1/2 price burgers, things they will not be able to do with someone else managing the stadium.  I am guessing that the size of the stadium is the least of the concerns.  The Economics is the biggest concern in my opinion.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The problem is that it will not be the best minor league stadium in the country, it will be the best CWS stadium in the country.  Not only would the Royals not be able to fill it, there is no minor league team anywhere in the country that draws within 10,000 of the new DT stadium.

Greg
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

then we need to start thinkin about something else to fill it....concerts have been mentioned but we also have the qwest center....what else can fill a baseball stadium?
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Big E wrote:
ThatGuy wrote:Good luck with that whole North Downtown thing idiots.
Thanks, but I have to say I take offense to your use of the term "North Downtown".
Thanks, but I have to say I take offense to you being such a huge girly bag.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

You can't use the word douc-he on here or c-r-a-p? Who runs this place?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ThatGuy wrote:You can't use the word douc-he on here or c-r-a-p? Who runs this place?
This is a PRIVATE website!  If the owner doesn't want cussing, then don't cuss!
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Most people don't have a problem with the word c-r-a-p. It's pretty benign.. [REMOVED BY MOD]
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Be happy I'm not still running the site... you'd probably have been gone by now. :D
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Oh, and don't forget to enjoy and attend your events...The next time we celebrate another attendance record for a swim trial meet...Lets also remember we lost our AAA baseball team due to treating them as a red-headed afterthought..
Yeah, all that national media Omaha has gotten from that little swim trial meet sure has blown. I know if we lose the Royals, our profile on the national scene is sure to be diminished.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

CapitalGuy wrote:Yeah, all that national media Omaha has gotten from that little swim trial meet sure has blown.
Yesterday I lost count of the times Omaha was referred to on the NBC broadcasts of the Olympic coverage during the various aquatic events.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

CapitalGuy wrote:
Oh, and don't forget to enjoy and attend your events...The next time we celebrate another attendance record for a swim trial meet...Lets also remember we lost our AAA baseball team due to treating them as a red-headed afterthought..
Yeah, all that national media Omaha has gotten from that little swim trial meet sure has blown. I know if we lose the Royals, our profile on the national scene is sure to be diminished.
Yeah I would love omaha to have the title of the biggest city in America with out a professional sports team, we could pimp that easy. Visit Omaha, the biggest city in America without pro sports. But we love watching an overrated football team and high school athletics.  :roll:

I was born in 1988 and since then I can remember Omaha losing two pro sports teams that were AAA level, we lost the racers in 97 and then lost the Knights two years ago, I had season tickets to both teams. I think this is such a huge embarrassment for the city, see Capital guy what you dont get is that with a AAA team you are  able to attract people and fans from the major league city. Omaha got some major publicity in Calgary for the Knights being there farm team, I know some Flames fans came to Knights games to watch the future.

We have one AAA team left, lets not lose that.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

But we love watching an overrated football team and high school athletics
And apparently an equally overrated basketball team from an equally overrated conference. There is a lot of blame to go around don't you agree? But I digress
see Capital guy what you dont get is that with a AAA team you are  able to attract people and fans from the major league city. Omaha got some major publicity in
No, it is apparent that you don't get it. If these franchises are having to rely on fans from another city to make it than that tells me all I need to know. Especially when one of the cities is in another country. But you are right losing out on that exposure in Calgary and Kansas City (lord knows we don't get that much exposure there) will surely haunt the city for years to come.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

CapitalGuy wrote:
But we love watching an overrated football team and high school athletics
And apparently an equally overrated basketball team from an equally overrated conference. There is a lot of blame to go around don't you agree? But I digress
see Capital guy what you dont get is that with a AAA team you are  able to attract people and fans from the major league city. Omaha got some major publicity in
No, it is apparent that you don't get it. If these franchises are having to rely on fans from another city to make it than that tells me all I need to know. Especially when one of the cities is in another country. But you are right losing out on that exposure in Calgary and Kansas City (lord knows we don't get that much exposure there) will surely haunt the city for years to come.

Hmmm.... I think we are being a little melodramatic don't you think?  Losing the Royals to another city isn't going to hurt our reputation as much as you think..
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Sorry Erik - apparently my sarcasm on the last line was too thick. I believe like you do, that losing the Royals will be irrelevant in the long run.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

cp jay 07 wrote:
CapitalGuy wrote:
Yeah I would love omaha to have the title of the biggest city in America with out a professional sports team, we could pimp that easy. Visit Omaha, the biggest city in America without pro sports. But we love watching an overrated football team and high school athletics.  :roll:

I was born in 1988 and since then I can remember Omaha losing two pro sports teams that were AAA level, we lost the racers in 97 and then lost the Knights two years ago, I had season tickets to both teams. I think this is such a huge embarrassment for the city, see Capital guy what you dont get is that with a AAA team you are  able to attract people and fans from the major league city. Omaha got some major publicity in Calgary for the Knights being there farm team, I know some Flames fans came to Knights games to watch the future.

We have one AAA team left, lets not lose that.
Thank you cp jay 07..

Only individuals that could care less about the Omaha Royals would consider them leaving our city 'irrelevant'..Which basically renders their opinion as irrelevant to those of us who actually attend their games in Omaha on a regular basis..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Last edited by Omaha Cowboy on Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Friends-

What this boils down to, is Omaha chose to make it's bed with the devil (NCAA)..In hopes that ORoyals management would be satisfied with it's continued red-headed step-child treatment..(and WITHOUT a sweetheart deal)..

Alan Stein wont stand for that anymore..And while I do believe he wants to stay in Omaha..He won't if his team is not fully appreciated by the city..

Like I said before, if he chooses to leave the Omaha area completely, I don't blame him..

The problem I've always had is, how can we justify building a $140 million stadium and not have it occupied with a major tenant from April to September? And no. Creighton Bluejay baseball and a sporadic outdoor concert here and there just wont cut it..Neither will a less than single A Saltdogs type baseball team..

I can't believe I'm typing this, but knowing what I know now, I almost wish we would have just renovated Rosenblatt and extended the ORoyals sweetheart deal..A mostly empty baseball stadium will be a HINDRANCE to the further development of North Downtown..NOT a rocket fuel enhancement..

MECA and ultimately the city really spit the bit on this one folks..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Capital Guy,

It seems like every angle has been exhausted to try to convince you to admit the Royals leaving would be bad, except one.  Community involvement.  Sure, it isn't very publicized, but the Omaha Royals have been extremely active members of the Omaha community for 40 years now.  This year, they have back to school supply drives, canned food drives, breast cancer awareness day at the ballpark, held a walk for ALS, Operation RBI to help families of deployed military members, and the list goes on and on.  

I don't think anyone can convince you that losing them would be bad, even though I personally believe it would be awful.  But you have to admit there are many NEGATIVES to losing the team, although you do see less than I do...obviously.  

From my perspective, I am just a baseball fan.  There are a lot of us who just love the game and enjoy every minute of going to games.  I go to nearly every Creighton game, drive to KC to see the Royals, see the Brewers play up in Milwaukee (even though I really hate them), go to every CWS game, and make it to a good handful of Omaha Royals games a year.  I would hate having no live baseball to see from the end of the CWS to when I am back at school in Milwaukee.  But thats just me.  

And for the record, an American Association team doesn't count.  I don't consider watching a bunch of has beens or never weres play baseball and get paid peanuts.  

Maybe its just me, but losing them would be a huge blow for youth baseball in the area.  I have tons of memories of going to ballgames as a kid, bringing my glove, trying to get autographs, falling in love with the game.  Being able to tell people I got to see Jermaine Dye before he was Jermaine Dye, or Carlos Beltran before he was Carlos Beltran, etc. etc.  Rosenblatt is where I fell in love with baseball, was the CWS a part of that, of course, but were the Omaha Royals?  Absolutely.  It would be a shame for little kids not to get free tickets from their little league team to see baseballs next great stars.  

Maybe its just me, but to see these guys at the brink of their lifelong hope and dreams is amazing to me.  despite being a huge baseball fan, I was never very good at the game itself.  Why?  Because it was too much damn work.  The odds of players to make it to even the AAA level makes them special.  In this country, over 3,000,000 kids play little league baseball.  Of those 3 million, 115,000 can make it through their senior year in high school.  2 out of 50 of those 115,000 high schoolers will make it to the college level.  Then after their junior year, only 800 are drafted to join the 5,000 players in the minor leagues.  It keeps going from there, all the way to the 750 spots on a major league roster.  Those 25 guys who suit up for the Omaha Royals every night are some of the best around.  

Now I know from reading here that you enjoy watching collegiate athletics.  You are a Husker fan.  The main reason that most people, including myself, love watching college sports, is the passion.  These kids who suit up for Nebraska, or for me Creighton, give everything they have night in and night out to achieve the highest level of success possible.  For some, that may be just a stupid conference championship in a "highly overrated" conference, but its never the goal that matters, its the pursuit.  Its the great plays, the overtime games, the gutsy plays that I love watching.  AAA baseball is no different.  Each of those guys are one great play from their dreams.  Every day they take the field knowing that they are at the brink of their dreams.  To me, that is awesome.  

Who knows though, maybe its just me who thinks this way.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

i'll throw my chips in and say that i agree with each of you.  I wish MECA wasn't being a bunch of jerk offs and just cut them a deal.  DTO said it before (in not so many words), i'll say it again: if they can afford to run the stadium without the Royals, then what's it matter if the Royals are allowed to use the stadium with some concessions made?  It's all extra gravy on the potatoes anyway...who cares if it isn't a huge sum of money?  They get whatever extra cash is coming in, the stadium won't sit empty damn neared all year, and we don't have to lose the Royals.

I wonder if the Royals know there are still people here that care they're here?  :?
Go Cubs Go
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

It's one thing to be a city our size with out major league sports, but it's another to be a city our size without MINOR league sports. The whole situation is just unfathomable and for me it all goes back to MECA.

- They've said having the Royals there would be the same as having them not there.

- If they are going to be willing to shell out money for a shitty bus league team that no one will go see, then why for the love of god can't they make it work for the Royals.
DTO
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

DTO Luv wrote:It's one thing to be a city our size with out major league sports, but it's another to be a city our size without MINOR league sports. The whole situation is just unfathomable and for me it all goes back to MECA.

- They've said having the Royals there would be the same as having them not there.

- If they are going to be willing to shell out money for a |expletive| bus league team that no one will go see, then why for the love of god can't they make it work for the Royals.

And just think, Sokol is going to be the successor to Buffett  :x
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I think MECA has a major failure on it's hands with losing the Royals.  Went to Slowdown Sunday night and could not believe we're getting ready to build a great stadium and use it so little.  No way I'm driving downtown to watch an indepent league team.

Like I put in another post, the article in today's paper on Southport really seems to indicate that the developers out there are going all out to get the Royals.

Greg
dandr1229
New to the Neighborhood

Post by dandr1229 »

Greg S wrote:I think MECA has a major failure on it's hands with losing the Royals.  Went to Slowdown Sunday night and could not believe we're getting ready to build a great stadium and use it so little.  No way I'm driving downtown to watch an indepent league team.

Like I put in another post, the article in today's paper on Southport really seems to indicate that the developers out there are going all out to get the Royals.

Greg
Based on the schematic in the article, I don't think it will fit there.   My bet if its in Sarpy would be at I-80 and Hwy 370.

Another longshot idea is in Bellevue where they envision the Baseball Village project.  I don't think Bellevue makes sense, but Bellevue is so hungry for any development that will give them a positive image that they might bend over backwards with some financial assistance for the Royals (even if it doesn't make sense for the Bellevue taxpayer)...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

My money... IF they stay in the metro would be Sapp Brothers.

I am pulling for Chili Greens, however never heard anyone but me mention that...
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Brad wrote:My money... IF they stay in the metro would be Sapp Brothers.
Free coffee Fridays?
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Brad wrote:My money... IF they stay in the metro would be Sapp Brothers.

I am pulling for Chili Greens, however never heard anyone but me mention that...
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesnt any stadium built by the city in the city limits have to be controlled by MECA?