Werner Park - Sarpy County/Royals Stadium

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Again, to serve who?
Don't look now... but the '3rd best place to live in America' is charging westward down Highway 370.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

Wow, that plan is awful! What a huge missed opportunity.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Stargazer wrote:
Again, to serve who?
Don't look now... but the '3rd best place to live in America' is charging westward down Highway 370.
I guess you're right, Papillion loves to build their schools in the middle of nowhere...
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

"Low density residential".  Nice.
Stable genius.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Not like we didn't know that they would |expletive| this up eventually.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

As much as everyone on this forum seems to "know" about whats good and what bad in development, the 50 regular posters don't represent the 800,000 people in Omaha.  Omaha has proved over and over it likes new commercial development way the |expletive| out in the middle of no where.  You can't blame developers for building where people want to be.  Until you change the government or re-educate the population, this will keep happening.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I am 100 % sure no matter what the "plan" would have shown there are a certain number of people that post here that would have thought it was / is the worst thing ever.
Last edited by nebugeater on Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Brad wrote:As much as everyone on this forum seems to "know" about whats good and what bad in development, the 50 regular posters don't represent the 800,000 people in Omaha.  Omaha has proved over and over it likes new commercial development way the |expletive| out in the middle of no where.  You can't blame developers for building where people want to be.  Until you change the government or re-educate the population, this will keep happening.
I think I may have not stated my opinion clearly enough.  I am not one of those anti suburban development people.  It is necessary.  I am just saying that given the current market conditions none of that makes sense.  Lifestyle centers are on their way out.  Retailers are beginning to recognize that there are a lot of problems with them and are running away from them.  In order for grocery stores to be successful, they need rooftops in the immediate area.  There aren't any.  Other retail cannot drive a successful grocery store.  Look at the Oak View HyVee as an example of that.  It is failing because it is in the middle of a regional shopping center, not a neighborhood shopping center, which is where most grocery stores thrive.  The housing makes sense in the long run, but right now there is no way a new housing development will be successful.  There is way too much of a supply right now.  

The arena and stadium on the other hand are great.  I like that the developers are trying to turn the area in to more, but I just don't see their plan as feasible.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I would be very surprised if there are even 500 more housing units built within 2 miles of this stadium in the next 5 years.  You cannot sustain commercial development without lots and lots of nearby housing.  I would think that they will need at least 15,000 people living within a few (2-3) miles of this development to sustain it.  And people living to the north are not going to patronize it if it is an island in the middle of no other shopping opportunities.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I would guess there's already 500 homes in the Walnut Creek area alone... and this corridor is one of the fastest developing in the state.  You've also got Springfield and Louisville residents to the south... who are going to embrace these new 'nearby' amenities.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I said 500 MORE homes in the next 5 years.  This area has seen some home construction in the past 2 years, but no where near even 100 units a year.  And Springfield and Louisville are about 7 and 17 miles away , respectfully.  Downtown Omaha is about as close as Louisville.

Until the housing situation balances itself out in a few more years I doubt you will see that much more construction in all of Metro Omaha, or metro anywhere else.  There are already a ton of empty homes all over town.  I have two just on my block.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I think you underestimate the value of a development like this to those distant communities like Springfield and Louisville.  For example, a friend of mine who lives in Blair says his family spends all sorts of time at Sorenson Park Plaza since it's been built.

And once again, the rate of construction along 370 is as high as anywhere in the state.  Where do you come up with '500 MORE' homes anyway?  I'm fairly certain the people bank rolling this project are going to be more familiar with the situation and what is going to be required to make such a project feasible, than we are... while we're tossing out arbitrary numbers as to what we think is required to ensure success.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Unless Sarpy County is financing this development I highly doubt they have financing yet.  Heck I highly doubt such a development can get financing, regardless of the fact that it is anchored by a stadium and arena.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Stargazer wrote:And once again, the rate of construction along 370 is as high as anywhere in the state.
Hwy 370 is about 15 miles long.  What all has been built along this long stretch of highway in 2009?  In 2008?  Not much, from my observation in the past 2 years.  Comparing any construction along this road to the rest of Nebraska is like saying a patient in ICU is much healthier than anyone across the street in the cemetery.

I have no crystal ball, and I don't want to rain on anyone's parade.  But I don't foresee this project becoming much more than a ball field plopped down in the middle of a corn field for the next 5 years.  If it can survive that period of time the economy should be much better and housing rebounding to maybe half the rate we saw in the boom years of this decade.  Infill will eventually catch up with it.  But I note that pretty much all the land west and north of the park is zoned for industrial/commercial, not residential.  Not sure how that will help much in putting butts in seats.  And what exactly would the allure of this thing be for people in Louisville or Gretna between Labor Day and mid spring?
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

What's to figure out here?  Sarpy County is growing at twice the rate of any other county in the metro... Papillion has added more people than any other city in Sarpy County... the Papio/La Vista school district has built it's new high school in the same sticks on 370... Papillion is platting the area in the corridor accordingly... it's a 'home run'.  It may not take off immediately (and I doubt there'll be any significant development here coinciding with construction of the ballpark... who said there would?)... but this area will eventually become just as booming as West Center has become (most of you are probably to young to remember the lone Richman Gordman store out in those 'sticks').
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Fantastic. Suburban sprawl surrounds a ballpark in the middle of bum |expletive| in maybe 5 years. What a gem of a plan there.

This is pretty EPIC FAIL, even for suburbia. They could really incorporate the ballpark into something cool like a TND, but it appears they want to stick to the status quo.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I was opposed to this site for a ball park, for a variety of reasons I won't go into now.  But it is a reality, so I hope it succeeds.  I just question how or even whether it will become a springboard to development in the area adjacent to the park.  I guess we will all just have to tune in in 2012 and the years following to see how it goes.

I work in Sarpy County, less than a 10 minute drive from the park.  But I live in Omaha, and I can't envision going home after work and then turning around to head back to Sarpy Co. to an evening game.  Now, if my boss let me off work early to attend an afternoon game, well, I will be there!  lol.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

This Alan Stein fellow is no dummy... he knows how to build successful minor league ball clubs... this little ballpark in the middle of nowhere is going to pack them in, the Royals are going to gain more, new, season ticket holders than ever before.

The surrounding development  is just going to be an accelerant for the progression of rooftops towards I-80... succeeds regardless of the ballpark's presence.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Stargazer wrote:This Alan Stein fellow is no dummy... he knows how to build successful minor league ball clubs... this little ballpark in the middle of nowhere is going to pack them in, the Royals are going to gain more, new, season ticket holders than ever before.

The surrounding development  is just going to be an accelerant for the progression of rooftops towards I-80... succeeds regardless of the ballpark's presence.
I don't think anyone is doubting the potential for the Royals to improve their fan base, season ticket holders, etc.  My money says they exceed most expectations and in a few years they are expanding the place.  What I am doubting is the development surrounding the stadium.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Yeah, that's kind of my point... the success of the stadium and surrounding development are independent of one another.  I wouldn't necessarily even expect to see a sudden rush of construction for some time to come... but it WILL come, and be entirely successful thanks to the rapid growth of the area in general.  There is a reason the city of Papillion wants to annex the corridor all the way out to I-80, the administrators know it won't be long before the land is producing significant tax revenue.
Hoop
Home Owners Association

Post by Hoop »

I wouldn't be so quick to make it sound like Papillion administrators are such great visionaries.  They want to annex out to I-80 to cut off Gretna, kind of a miniature version of Omaha vs Elkhorn.  Probably why they tried unsuccessfully to strip annex down 370 without taking the adjacent land.  They also want to avoid the shabby construction standards that Sarpy allows in the area  The County may be a little more forgiving now that they are in bed together with the corn field stadium.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Indeed, sounds pretty visionary to me.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:I don't think anyone is doubting the potential for the Royals to improve their fan base, season ticket holders, etc.  My money says they exceed most expectations and in a few years they are expanding the place.  What I am doubting is the development surrounding the stadium.
I'm still not positive the Royals will do better attendance-wise by leaving Omaha.  Certainly, the Lancers thought they were making the right decision when they moved to a much more centrally located spot in Council Bluffs.  

If it is successful and the Royals turn out to need a bigger stadium, that'll be another issue because the main reason this stadium is sized the way it is is that that's all that Sarpy County could afford to build.  And I don't think that'll change.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

HskrFanMike wrote:...because the main reason this stadium is sized the way it is is that that's all that Sarpy County could afford to build.
And here I thought the reason the stadium is this size is because this is the exact size the Royals wanted and there's no possible way AAA baseball could ever be played in a stadium any other size and to suggest differently would be comparable to treason.

:;):

[/sarcasm]
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I love that term... 'leaving Omaha'.  The Lancers put more distance between their fan base and themselves... the Royals are doing the opposite.  While most here will argue otherwise, most of the Royals fan base (including those new fans they gain, offsetting those few lost) is in west/southwest Omaha... and whether it's physically closer or not, they will feel more 'connected' to this new stadium, in the middle of nowhere.  Speaking of the Lancers, anyone want to wager whether the Lancers will be the 'children playing among the cornfields', as well, within the next decade? :)
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Where is your evidence that their fanbase now is mainly suburban dwellers? You always acted like no one else in a city this big could afford the $5 to go to a game. Where is your proof? Your evidence seems to be "Well it's people with kids going so clearly it's suburban dwellers."

So because the people going to the games are symptomatic of being suburban you're saying the ONLY people in Omaha with kids live no where in the city of Omaha. Please. You're also implying that their attendance will be largely based on being close to people's homes in the future. Than why aren't the people around Rosenshat now going to every game? They're close and have kids so  they should be going to these games since that's the formula for success you keep touting in the suburban location.
DTO
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I don't recall saying most people couldn't afford $5 to go to a game (or were we talking about additional parking fees?)... there's far more to a sporting event like this than the tickets... the time commitment itself may be what most in eastern Omaha can't afford to come up with... you know, longer hours, two jobs, etc. :) Yes, of course, the more affluent in western/southwestern Omaha will flock to this new stadium... because it is 'cleaner', 'safer', and 'closer'.  You'll find far more families with children in the suburbs as well, making group 'little league' trips.  

Now, all this having been said, recall... I wanted the Royals to play downtown.  It makes me sick we've come to this.  I would have much rather seen the CWS remain at a renovated Rosenblatt, dedicated to it (or leave Omaha completely)... rather than occupying the space I had always wanted to see set aside for the Royals downtown.  But it's all moot now.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

:deadhorse:

Why are people still arguing about the Sarpy/Royals stadium?  Its a done deal.  They are already building the thing.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I've got to disagree on the whole life style center's are on the way out.  They're evolving and they like everything have been slowed by the current economy.  The Hy Vee at a true lifestyle center in Sarpy is thriving....

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stadium naming rights pitched

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100104/NEWS01/701049959
John Ferak WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Werner Field. Cabela’s Cove. Pay Pal Stadium.

In the dead of winter, the Omaha Royals are courting corporate businesses and potential donors to put a name on the team’s $26 million stadium slated to open in time for the 2011 baseball season — 15 months away.
John Ferak WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:“I think the stadium naming rights will happen relatively quickly,” said Sarpy County Attorney Lee Polikov. “It’s a huge, recognizable step by the public, and it’s going to have to be done pretty soon.”

The Omaha Royals organization has no time frame for finishing a naming rights deal, said Martie Cordaro, general manager.

It will happen, he said, when the team finds the right partner.

“That might be a week from now, a month or two months. We are not looking at a calendar,” Cordaro said.
John Ferak WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Cordaro declined to identify any firm interested in naming rights or those being pursued by the Royals.

“We have been visiting with a lot of targeted (companies),” Cordaro said. “Several companies are interested, and it is our responsibility to ensure the right partner. You need to find a true partnership, not only when the stadium opens, but someone who will remain active in the process. It is not just about putting a name on a building.”

Sarpy County Attorney Lee Polikov identified several firms that he expects the Royals to pursue for stadium naming rights. Among them: Werner Enterprises, Pay Pal, Cabela’s, Oriental Trading, Omaha Steaks and possibly the Sapp family.
John Ferak WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Werner Enterprises is considered among the most likely to be interested in stadium naming rights because of the company’s corporate partnership with Omaha Royals baseball.
John Ferak WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:If a Werner deal doesn’t happen, Hike said he hopes the Royals could negotiate a deal with Omaha Steaks. The company has built a large industrial warehouse in Sarpy County and carries a strong national marketing presence.

Polikov said Cabela’s is likely to be on the Royals’ list because the homegrown Nebraska company has expanded rapidly in the Omaha area, particularly in Sarpy County.

A few years ago, Cabela’s opened its outdoor sporting goods store in La Vista at the Southport development. The company announced plans in November to build a $15 million data center in Papillion.

Like Werner, Cox Communications already is a corporate sponsor at Rosenblatt Stadium and might decide to pursue the naming rights deal, Polikov said.
John Ferak WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The Lee Sapp family also is a strong possibility, Jones and Polikov said.

The Sapp family has made numerous donations to the University of Nebraska system. The family already has about 10 buildings named in its honor, including the Lee and Helene Sapp Fieldhouse at the University of Nebraska at Omaha.

The original Sapp Bros. truck stop also sits near the stadium site, and the Sapps have strong ties to Sarpy County. A year ago, Lee Sapp approached the county about donating land for the stadium during the early stages of the site-selection process, Jones said.

“His roots are in Sarpy County, and he’s been a very generous donor,” Jones said. “Lee Sapp has truly supported the state of Nebraska, and he definitely showed an interest in being involved in this project. I would definitely put Lee Sapp in the top three contenders.”
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

A half million dollars a year in naming rights fees?  Talk about a field of dreams...
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I wish them luck selling the naming rights. (I don't mean that sarcastically either.)  But it seems strange to think Cabelas would be interested after the nearby site wasn't chosen. And Pay Pal Stadium just doesn't sound right. "Pay up Pal, and watch us play ball!"
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

GetUrban wrote:I wish them luck selling the naming rights. (I don't mean that sarcastically either.)  But it seems strange to think Cabelas would be interested after the nearby site wasn't chosen. And Pay Pal Stadium just doesn't sound right. "Pay up Pal, and watch us play ball!"
PayPal sent a lot of money sponsoring the Lancers this season.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Brad wrote:
GetUrban wrote:I wish them luck selling the naming rights. (I don't mean that sarcastically either.)  But it seems strange to think Cabelas would be interested after the nearby site wasn't chosen. And Pay Pal Stadium just doesn't sound right. "Pay up Pal, and watch us play ball!"
So Werner Field will be next to PayPal Arena?
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:
Brad wrote:
So Werner Field will be next to PayPal Arena?
That is where I would place my money.  If I were a betting man.
where the corn meets the concrete
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha Royals stadium naming rights pitched
Papillion Times wrote:Werner Field. Cabela’s Cove. Pay Pal Stadium. In the dead of winter, the Omaha Royals are courting corporate businesses and potential donors to put a name on the team’s $26 million stadium slated to open in time for the 2011 baseball season — 15 months away. Sarpy County Attorney Lee Polikov identified several firms that he expects the Royals to pursue for stadium naming rights. Among them: Werner Enterprises, Pay Pal, Cabela’s, Oriental Trading, Omaha Steaks and possibly the Sapp family.

Werner Enterprises is considered among the most likely to be interested in stadium naming rights because of the company’s corporate partnership with Omaha Royals baseball. Werner Enterprises now serves as the Omaha Royals’ presenting sponsor at Rosenblatt Stadium. The new stadium being built in Sarpy County sits less than two miles from Werner’s headquarters near Interstate 80. “I think the natural choice is Werner’s, and I would probably like to see them get it,” said Sarpy County Board member Rusty Hike. “It makes the most sense. Werner’s has already got a lot out there. They are a big employer in Sarpy County. I think it all comes down to dollars, and if there’s money in the budget to do it.”

If a Werner deal doesn’t happen, Hike said he hopes the Royals could negotiate a deal with Omaha Steaks. The company has built a large industrial warehouse in Sarpy County and carries a strong national marketing presence. Polikov said Cabela’s is likely to be on the Royals’ list because the homegrown Nebraska company has expanded rapidly in the Omaha area, particularly in Sarpy County.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Wow.. They they copy the OWH story?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:Wow.. They they copy the OWH story?
The Papillion Times, La Vista Sun, Gretna, Breeze, Bellevue Leader, Ashland Gazette, and a hand full of other smaller papers are all OWH companies.  It happens all the time on the Gretna Breeze... Sometimes it is published the other way and a story originally is in the smaller papers and then a few days later in the OWH.  You probably already know this though.

http://www.omahanewsstand.com/
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Martie Cordaro was on Grow Omaha last week.  He gave a lot of good information on the stadium.

Show 301:
[wmp]http://www.growomaha.com/archivedshows/show301.mp3[/wmp]
[emff]http://www.growomaha.com/archivedshows/show301.mp3[/emff]
http://www.growomaha.com/archivedshows/show301.mp3
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Sounds like it's going to be great! I know my kids are going to love the 6,000 square feel play area.

Greg