Yahoo Data Center (108th and Giles) AND CALL CENTER!

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Hoop
Home Owners Association

Yahoo Data Center (108th and Giles) AND CALL CENTER!

Post by Hoop »

Interesting link about Yahoo and Omaha metro.  

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/arch ... enter.html

Post by Guest »

From what I hear this is a done deal.  Moving into the old Tender Hearts building.  I am not sure if that is the right name of place they are moving into or not though.

Post by Guest »

Sounds like Google would not be taking up any new space, just moving into a existing facility that might be folding (Tender Heart Treasure building in La Vista) if that's the case.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha courting Yahoo to land new data center

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10396870
RICK RUGGLES ©2008 OMAHA WORLD-HERALD wrote:State and local officials are negotiating with Yahoo, a major Internet search engine, to build a data center in the Omaha metropolitan area, a person close to Gov. Dave Heineman confirmed Saturday.

Negotiators are "at a very serious stage" in those talks and Yahoo might decide within five or six weeks, the person said.

Heineman said in an interview Saturday afternoon that the state desires such companies.

He said Nebraska "would love to have a high-technology company like Yahoo come here. . . . High technology is a business sector that we are aggressively recruiting, particularly in the Omaha metropolitan area."

Paul Landow, Mayor Mike Fahey's chief of staff, referred questions to the Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce. Two representatives of the chamber, Rod Moseman and Karla Ewert, declined to confirm or deny that they were in discussions with Yahoo.

"I can't comment on projects we may or may not be working on," said Moseman, vice president for economic development at the chamber.

Post by Guest »

They can come, but they have to build a skyscraper instead of a data center.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

"I can't comment on projects we may or may not be working on," said Moseman, vice president for economic development at the chamber.
He went on to say "This project may or may not be top secret and Yahoo, a company that may or may not run a search engine may or may not be looking into opening a data center in Omaha, a city that may or may not be in Nebraska."

I think its funny that he can't comment on projects that the city is not working on. That can't be true. "Mr Moseman, is it true that the City of Omaha is successfully coaxing the United Nations to move its headquarters here?" "I'm sorry I cannot comment on that." "Mr. Moseman, do you think the Chamber of Economic Development will put in a bid to move the nation's capital to Omaha?" "Maybe, maybe not, I'm not permitted to say anything about...anything." "Mr. Moseman, a group of hobos in the Gene Leahy Mall claim that a group of Martians obducted them and suggested that they are in talks with the chamber about setting up an intergalactic space port on 45 acres of land outside of Bennington. Can you say a few words on that." "I cannot comment on whether or not I may or may not have talked to Martians about an intergalactic space port."

In summary, they must be in talks with Yahoo.
Last edited by TitosBuritoBarn on Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
He went on to say "This project may or may not be top secret and Yahoo, a company that may or may not run a search engine may or may not be looking into opening a data center in Omaha, a city that may or may not be in Nebraska."

I think its funny that he can't comment on projects that the city is not working on. That can't be true. "Mr Moseman, is it true that the City of Omaha is successfully coaxing the United Nations to move its headquarters here?" "I'm sorry I cannot comment on that." "Mr. Moseman, do you think the Chamber of Economic Development will put in a bid to move the nation's capital to Omaha?" "Maybe, maybe not, I'm not permitted to say anything about...anything." "Mr. Moseman, a group of hobos in the Gene Leahy Mall claim that a group of Martians obducted them and suggested that they are in talks with the chamber about setting up an intergalactic space port on 45 acres of land outside of Bennington. Can you say a few words on that." "I cannot comment on whether or not I may or may have talked to Martians about an intergalactic space port."

In summary, they must be in talks with Yahoo.
haha.
Go Cubs Go
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote: "Mr. Moseman, a group of hobos in the Gene Leahy Mall claim that a group of Martians obducted them and suggested that they are in talks with the chamber about setting up an intergalactic space port on 45 acres of land outside of Bennington....
Everybody knows the only place an intergalactic spaceport will go is on the old Swanson site.  That was part of Sokol and MECA's arrangement with the city.
Stable genius.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Anonymous wrote:They can come, but they have to build a skyscraper instead of a data center.
:lol:  ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Anonymous wrote:They can come, but they have to build a skyscraper instead of a data center.
:lol:  ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace

Would you guys be happy if they just used a tower PC

instead of a traditional desktop?

For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I guess there could be worse than either of those.

Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Stargazer wrote:I guess there could be worse than either of those.

The  really scary thing is I have driven by that building and know what it is!    :mrgreen:

Note:  I said drove by, not stopped or visited.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Yahoo hasn't sought state tax help

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10402599
BRYAN REDEMSKE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:A person close to Gov. Dave Heineman confirmed on Aug. 2 that state and local officials are negotiating with Yahoo to build a data center in the Omaha metropolitan area.

Negotiators are "at a very serious stage," and Yahoo might decide within five or six weeks, the person said.

The governor's office declined last week to comment further on whether the state is talking to Yahoo, or whether Heineman would seek additional tax incentives to lure the company here. A spokesman for the Internet search engine, which is based in Sunnyvale, Calif., declined to say whether it is talking to Nebraska officials.

Ewald said he had received no application from Yahoo for incentives under the Nebraska Advantage program, which rewards companies for multimillion-dollar capital investments and the creation of high-paying jobs. And not much can happen until he does, Ewald said.
Hoop
Home Owners Association

Post by Hoop »

This will be a huge get for La Vista, this town is becoming quit the powerhouse.  Bring on the Royals!

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10416828
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Hoop wrote:This will be a huge get for La Vista, this town is becoming quit the powerhouse.  Bring on the Royals!

as always please add more than just a link...

Yahoo applies to operate in La Vista

CHRISTINE LAUE AND BRYAN REDEMSKE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITERS wrote:Yahoo has applied for state tax incentives to operate a facility in La Vista.

The Internet search company headquartered in Sunnyvale, Calif., has applied under the Nebraska Super Advantage program, State Tax Commissioner Doug Ewald said Tuesday, which requires a minimum $100 million investment and 50 high-salary jobs. In La Vista, that means Yahoo would have to pay employees a minimum average salary of $68,700.
CHRISTINE LAUE AND BRYAN REDEMSKE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITERS wrote:Yahoo typically leases or buys existing structures, rather than building from the ground up.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Brad wrote:
CHRISTINE LAUE AND BRYAN REDEMSKE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITERS wrote:Yahoo has applied for state tax incentives to operate a facility in La Vista.

The Internet search company headquartered in Sunnyvale, Calif., has applied under the Nebraska Super Advantage program, State Tax Commissioner Doug Ewald said Tuesday, which requires a minimum $100 million investment and 50 high-salary jobs. In La Vista, that means Yahoo would have to pay employees a minimum average salary of $68,700.
Not bad tax incentives, lower minimum investment level than Iowa has, but salary requirements slightly more stringent.  Good for LaVista.  Here's to more data farms in the metro.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

icejammer wrote:
Brad wrote:

Not bad tax incentives, lower minimum investment level than Iowa has, but salary requirements slightly more stringent.  Good for LaVista.  Here's to more data farms in the metro.

Careful, there are some on here that don't want Omaha, or Nebraska for that matter, to have any association to Farms.
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

Brad wrote:
Hoop wrote:This will be a huge get for La Vista, this town is becoming quit the powerhouse.  Bring on the Royals!

This made sense when there were logins... now it's just laziness not to click the link.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Asten wrote:
Brad wrote:

This made sense when there were logins... now it's just laziness not to click the link.

Wrong,   After 10 days, two weeks or whatever the many of the sites no longer have the information available.  I bit of detail is a good refresher for looking back on threads or when a thread is brought back to life and the link is dead.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

SiliconPrarieNews is reporting on a possible location for Yahoo:
http://www.siliconprairienews.com/2008/ ... -in-omaha/
For those that may not have heard, Yahoo is in final talks to set up a data center in Omaha, most likely LaVista at the current Tender Heart Treasures Location which is currently for sale.
This is on the NW corner of 108th & Giles.  Google Maps link:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=THT ... 2&t=h&z=16

Post by Guest »

what the heck happened to tender heart treasures???
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Permit points to Yahoo project
CHRISTINE LAUE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Two out-of-state construction companies have applied for a building permit to demolish part of the Tender Heart Treasures building near 108th Street and Giles Road in La Vista. The Tender Heart Treasures building sits on 24.3 acres and serves as warehouse and headquarters for the home decor and giftware distributor. The building has been for sale since April 11. The nearly 300,000-square-foot Tender Heart Treasures building is one for-sale building in La Vista large enough to accommodate a data center typical of the size Yahoo generally occupies.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The news and others are saying Yahoo will make it official Friday Morning
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Yahoo will make La Vista plans official Friday

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10467849
CHRISTINE LAUE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Internet search company Yahoo on Friday will officially announce plans to invest $100 million in a La Vista data center that will employ 50 people, a person with knowledge of the project said Thursday.

The Sunnyvale, Calif.-based company will operate a 150,000-square-foot data center "with a $100 million initial investment" in a La Vista building, the person said.

Yahoo in September bought the former Tender Heart Treasures building at 10917 Harry Watanabe Parkway in La Vista. The 300,000-square-foot building sits on 24.3 acres near 108th Street and Giles Road.

Yahoo applied Aug. 15 with the State of Nebraska for tax incentives related to business creation or expansion.

Gov. Dave Heineman issued a press release Thursday evening announcing a 10 a.m. press conference today at the La Vista Embassy Suites regarding an economic development project related to job creation in Nebraska.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Yahoo is coming; larger way than anticipated

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10468262
BRYAN REDEMSKE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Yahoo is coming to Nebraska - and in a much larger way than anticipated.

The World-Herald first reported several months ago that Yahoo planned to operate a data center in La Vista.

But it’s the second part of the project that has Gov. Dave Heineman excited.

"In addition to the La Vista data center, I'm pleased to announce that Yahoo will be building a customer care center in west Omaha," the governor told a press conference this morning at the Embassy Suites Hotel in La Vista.

The exact location was unknown this morning.

"I believe this is an extraordinary opportunity for Nebraska. It demonstrates that our economic development program — the Nebraska Advantage — is working," Heineman said.

Yahoo officials expect 40 to 50 employees at the 150,000-square-foot La Vista site.

The company said it has not determined how many it will employ at the customer care center.
BRYAN REDEMSKE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote: When Omaha rose to the top of both lists, combining the project was a no-brainer, according to Kevin Timmons, vice president of operations for Yahoo.

"The values of operating in Nebraska, and the Omaha region became evident pretty quickly," he said.

DTO... you have to love this photo:
Sylvia Qang, Yahoo's senior manager of data center operations, models a corn head with a Yahoo logo with Kevin Timmons, left, vice president of operations for Yahoo, and Gov. Dave Heineman.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

I will be interested to see the facts of the customer care center.
where the corn meets the concrete
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I was just down at the yahoo site, they are really erecting some serious equipment.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Yahoo unveils La Vista center
Ross Boettcher WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Thursday, the process of lobbying, negotiating and construction that began in August 2008 came to a close as the founder of Yahoo joined Gov. Dave Heineman and other state and local officials at the unveiling of the company's new data center in La Vista. The operation will house computers and networking equipment that power Yahoo's search engine, e-mail service and other products. The center eventually will add two more phases, which will fill the warehouse with about 100,000 computers.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Yahoo shows off La Vista expansion, looking to add 100 jobs

Emily Nohr: World-Herald staff writer wrote:About 25 people have been hired since the customer service facility opened two weeks ago, and Yahoo hopes to fill another 65 positions by September.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:Yahoo shows off La Vista expansion, looking to add 100 jobs

Emily Nohr: World-Herald staff writer wrote:About 25 people have been hired since the customer service facility opened two weeks ago, and Yahoo hopes to fill another 65 positions by September.

25+65 = 100?  Interesting math from Emily.
No posts exist for this topic
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

MadMartin8 wrote:

Reporters don't write their own headlines. That was the math of a copy editor. FYI  :;):
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

edsas wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

Reporters don't write their own headlines. That was the math of a copy editor. FYI  :;):

25+65=100? Interesting math from <copy editor name goes here>.
No posts exist for this topic
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Must be the same person calculating job creation statistics for proponents of the Keystone XL pipeline. Are they in the 7 digits of projected job growth from that project yet?
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum