La Vista's "Golden Mile"

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

Coyote
City Council

Re: La Vista's "Golden Mile"

Postby Coyote » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:39 pm

Official: this will be on the May 13th ballot.

Omababe
Planning Board

Postby Omababe » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:10 am

Let's see here ... the Powers That Be want Joe and Jo Taxpayer to subsidize private business development?

What's wrong with this picture?

How about some development company coming in and doing one of those oh-so-trendy "Mixed Use" developments on that tract at their expense?

cdub
Parks & Recreation

Postby cdub » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:46 am

Omababe wrote:Let's see here ... the Powers That Be want Joe and Jo Taxpayer to subsidize private business development?

How about some development company coming in and doing one of those oh-so-trendy "Mixed Use" developments on that tract at their expense?

Until SIDs go away, and maybe even still then, it doesnt work well otherwise.

Filthy McNasty
New to the Neighborhood

Postby Filthy McNasty » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:13 pm

Omababe wrote:Let's see here ... the Powers That Be want Joe and Jo Taxpayer to subsidize private business development?

Agreed. There are good reasons why there are so many vacancies in the Brentwood area. New buildings won't change that.

cdub
Parks & Recreation

Postby cdub » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:21 am

Filthy McNasty wrote:

Agreed. There are good reasons why there are so many vacancies in the Brentwood area. New buildings won't change that.

So AK village and MTC only built because those areas were smoking hot before hand?

iamjacobm
City Council

Postby iamjacobm » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:32 am

Here is the vision for the area. Incredibly ambitious. I just don't know if anything close to this is possible in the suburbs unless it was near some major mass transit.

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Postby RNcyanide » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:55 am

Holy cow.

Ambitious is understating it. But then again, compared to what exists there now, you really wouldn't need that much ambition to improve it anyway...
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:33 am

I have to agree with Jacob, it looks nice, but try to sell that to an investor! Neither 84th St nor Giles would bring much random traffic it would need. Maybe Papillion's 84th and 370 could pull that off, but sorry to say! not La Vista.

Garrett
Parks & Recreation

Postby Garrett » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:45 am

There are actually several Chicago suburbs with downtowns just like that, many of them without mass transit access. Then again, they are a lot bigger, but who knows.
From Omaha to Chicago
From Axel to Garrett

Still the same guy

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:38 pm

^which suburbs are you thinking of? I feel like Chicago area suburbs with a dense downtown at least have solid Pace Bus service. Most have Metra service as well.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert

Stargazer
County Board

Postby Stargazer » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:07 am

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:10 am

I was surprised to see that a family video and pizza place has open in the old Blockbuster video location at 84th and Giles.
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

skinzfan23
County Board

Postby skinzfan23 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:27 am

Brad wrote:I was surprised to see that a family video and pizza place has open in the old Blockbuster video location at 84th and Giles.

Yeah i noticed that too a few weeks ago. Family Video seems to be doing ok and they are adding the Marco's Pizza to most of their locations. I know I mentioned it on here in another thread but their intent is to eventually allow people to order a movie and pizza and have them both delivered. I think that is a great idea.

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:04 am

I was going to mention that also a few weeks ago, I drove by and saw an 'opening soon' sign, so I pulled in to see what was going on and found this out, but then shrugged my shoulders and immediately forgot about them.. :shrug:

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:47 am

Talked to one of the guys from the bar across the parking lot, he said its been there about 6 weeks. When I worked at that bar, blockbuster was still open and it was always packed.
@bradwphoto on Twitter

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:56 am

The only time I would go to that of any blockbuster would be to buy a DVD after they trimmed back their supply of new releases. You could always find good bargains there. I can't think of the lady time I actually rented a movie...

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:00 pm

Coyote wrote:I can't think of the lady time I actually rented a movie...

:lafcry: :lafcry: :lafcry: :lafcry: Don't tee them up so high, its just wayyyy to easy!
@bradwphoto on Twitter

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:19 pm

My iPad auto correct sucks.

nebugeater
County Board

Postby nebugeater » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:37 pm

Coyote wrote:My iPad auto correct sucks.

Maybe it just knows you better than you do !!!!!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:00 pm

Yeah, I guess I really can't remember the last time I rented a lady... :oops:

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:25 pm

La Vista takes a step toward acquiring shabby 84th Street strip mall

Emily Nohr: World-Herald staff writer wrote:Last week, the La Vista City Council agreed to hire a firm to negotiate the acquisition of buildings and relocation of businesses remaining in the Brentwood Crossing property along 84th Street between Harrison Street and Giles Road.

In addition to acquiring the run-down development, the city says it will look to relocate five businesses remaining in the strip mall to allow for demolition.

skinzfan23
County Board

Postby skinzfan23 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:25 pm

Good news to hear but a long ways to go.

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:26 am

From what I just heard: aquisition = owner is playing games, city is threatening eminent domain if they do not do something with that proprty...

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:30 am

La Vista considers spending big on high-profile development projects

Emily Nohr: World-Herald staff writer wrote:Earlier this year the city hired a company to negotiate acquiring buildings and relocating businesses remaining in the area. The city has talked about seizing the property through eminent domain, but called that a last resort.

The overall plan, Vision 84, calls for transforming the shopping center and the neighboring city golf course into a downtown and large civic park.

MTO
City Council

Postby MTO » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:05 pm

L.V. Is emerging as a premier suburb add the multisports complex and Costco to their list too. It's nice to see all this before Papillion starts to take over.
15-17, 26, 32

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:10 pm

MTO wrote:L.V. Is emerging as a premier suburb add the multisports complex and Costco to their list too. It's nice to see all this before Papillion starts to take over.

Papillion has dominated the first half of this decade.... The whole reason the LaVista "Golden Mile" is dead is because almost everything moved to Papillion.
@bradwphoto on Twitter

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:26 pm

$175 million development set to join new civic park in transforming La Vista's 84th Street corridor

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (72.42 KiB) Viewed 1220 times

Cindy Gonzalez - World-Herald staff writer wrote:She said the city-owned golf course is to close at the end of the season, Sept. 30, so grading can begin on the park's transition into the City Centre project site. Demolition of the vacant Walmart and smaller stores should begin this fall, Erickson said. He expects buildings to begin rising next spring.

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

La Vista's "Golden Mile"

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:29 pm

This will be fantastic..

From the W-H-

The City of La Vista is about to get a heart.
A $175 million-plus “City Centre” project is to bring apartments, restaurants, retailers, offices and a grocer to the 84th Street corridor that was left with a gaping commercial hole when Walmart sparked an exodus a decade ago.
Led by developer City Ventures, the largely private 30-acre initiative is to rise on the once-booming Brentwood Crossing property in tandem with the first phase of a civic park long-envisioned on La Vista’s golf course.
The two pieces are to be linked by a proposed amphitheater and walking trail leading from the public park into the mixed-use campus.

The link-
http://www.omaha.com/money/million-deve ... bf26f.html

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

jessep28
Planning Board

Postby jessep28 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:47 pm

This will be fantastic for LaVista. It's good that they were able to negotiate a purchase of the old Wal-Mart strip mall versus seizing the property through eminent domain. I wish that they would have passed on the fancy spelling of center though.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

Professor Woland
Library Board

Postby Professor Woland » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:53 pm

jessep28 wrote:This will be fantastic for LaVista. It's good that they were able to negotiate a purchase of the old Wal-Mart strip mall versus seizing the property through eminent domain. I wish that they would have passed on the fancy spelling of center though.

Agreed! I also hope this prompts redevelopment of Brentwood Square. I used to work at the Baker's there and it's kind of sad to see it so run down now.

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:41 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (111.69 KiB) Viewed 1193 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (72.44 KiB) Viewed 1193 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (79.97 KiB) Viewed 1193 times

RockHarbor
Human Relations

Postby RockHarbor » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:46 am

I'm glad it is all transforming into something better down there. Wow, that development looks nice.

I still don't understand why that area all went downhill. Is it because of all the new shopping on 72nd, I'm figuring? There was something about that Brentwood Square I liked. Maybe I was always simply fond of it's main, squarish, brick sign, and the way "Square" changed directions from "Brentwood." It was a nice look (back in the day).
"Crossroads Village" down the street from "Aksarben Village?" Does "Crossroads" have any meaning to people 20 and under? "Dodge At 72nd" is a type name I like better, drawing from the excitement of the iconic, special Omaha intersection. My $.02.

Professor Woland
Library Board

Postby Professor Woland » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:59 am

RockHarbor wrote:I'm glad it is all transforming into something better down there. Wow, that development looks nice.

I still don't understand why that area all went downhill. Is it because of all the new shopping on 72nd, I'm figuring? There was something about that Brentwood Square I liked. Maybe I was always simply fond of it's main, squarish, brick sign, and the way "Square" changed directions from "Brentwood." It was a nice look (back in the day).

It was a combination of factors. When Super Target opened in Papillion it affected the Baker's a little. Years later when the Walmart Super Center and the Fareway opened along 72nd it had a devastating effect, because of direct competition and because people were no longer being drawn to the area by the Walmart that had been at Brentwood Crossing. Once the Baker's closed the rest of the shopping center went downhill.

RockHarbor
Human Relations

Postby RockHarbor » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:52 am

Professor Woland wrote:It was a combination of factors. When Super Target opened in Papillion it affected the Baker's a little. Years later when the Walmart Super Center and the Fareway opened along 72nd it had a devastating effect, because of direct competition and because people were no longer being drawn to the area by the Walmart that had been at Brentwood Crossing. Once the Baker's closed the rest of the shopping center went downhill.

Gotcha. I figured that new shopping on 72nd had to have plaid a huge role. Kinda sad... But, things always change. Plus, there is so much new housing down there now, people naturally want nicer, newer places to shop. Thanks for explaining the details...
"Crossroads Village" down the street from "Aksarben Village?" Does "Crossroads" have any meaning to people 20 and under? "Dodge At 72nd" is a type name I like better, drawing from the excitement of the iconic, special Omaha intersection. My $.02.

skinzfan23
County Board

Postby skinzfan23 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:06 am

That looks amazing....lets hope that it eventually looks like that. The thing is going to be patience. Just like AV and the development on the CB side of the river, it is going to take 10-15 years to fill out.

Stargazer
County Board

Postby Stargazer » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:11 am

I would have disappointed if they hadn't been able to incorporate the existing McDonald's and touch free car wash.

choke
Human Relations

Postby choke » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:23 pm

Wow! City Ventures started negotiations 18 months ago and they plan on starting construction beginning this fall. Gee whiz, I thought projects with this magnitude, similar to Crossroads Village, took a decade or more to get started.

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:31 pm

choke wrote:Wow! City Ventures started negotiations 18 months ago and they plan on starting construction beginning this fall. Gee whiz, I thought projects with this magnitude, similar to Crossroads Village, took a decade or more to get started.

Well, the original post in this thread for the project is August of 2008...

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:31 pm

It will be great to see some life back in that stretch of 84th.
@bradwphoto on Twitter

daveoma
Human Relations

Postby daveoma » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:01 pm

What does RD&E mean?

Return to “Suburban Omaha Development”