La Vista's "Golden Mile"

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Brad, nebugeater, Coyote, Omaha Cowboy

iamjacobm
City Council

Re: La Vista's "Golden Mile"

Postby iamjacobm » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:21 pm

daveoma wrote:What does RD&E mean?

Retail/Dinning/Entertainment

iamjacobm
City Council

Postby iamjacobm » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:25 pm

This will be great for La Vista! There are a lot of apartments near here too, could get a strong walkable community going.

MTO
City Council

Postby MTO » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:29 pm

I like it it looks very nice.
15-17, 26, 32

RockHarbor
Human Relations

Postby RockHarbor » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:41 pm

I hope I still have time to take a picture of that Brentwood Square sign, before it is gone for good. I need to get down there soon.

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:02 pm

RockHarbor wrote:I hope I still have time to take a picture of that Brentwood Square sign, before it is gone for good. I need to get down there soon.

Too late, the changed it a few years ago. They sign that was there forever doesn't have the neon square anymore.
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

RockHarbor
Human Relations

Postby RockHarbor » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:34 pm

Brad wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:I hope I still have time to take a picture of that Brentwood Square sign, before it is gone for good. I need to get down there soon.

Too late, the changed it a few years ago. They sign that was there forever doesn't have the neon square anymore.

Oh, darn! (I'm such a nerd...caring so much about some shopping center sign that wasn't even in the area of town I grew up in...so it doesn't even have nostalgic value to me. lol)

By the way, does anybody have a picture of it? I'm not happy that is gone. If that were located on West Center Road (around 132nd for example) in an area of town closer to me, I would totally love seeing it, driving by it all time. Instead, it was located way down 84th. To me, it was perfect signage for a 70's/80's shopping center -- the name chosen, the squarish design of the sign, the neon square, the font used, bricks, and all.

RockHarbor
Human Relations

Postby RockHarbor » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:46 pm

Nevermind. I found at least something to remember it, thank goodness. Having no luck finding anything on line, I thought about the "street view" on Google Maps. Those were already too current, but I remembered Bing's are sometimes older and not kept as current. So, I found something on the "Bird's Eye" feature, although their "Street view" is also too current now. Good ole' Brentwood Square. (If somebody has a nicer picture to share, please do...!)
Attachments
BrentwoodSquareSign.jpg
BrentwoodSquareSign.jpg (114.17 KiB) Viewed 2919 times

damonhynes
Home Owners Association

Postby damonhynes » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:26 pm

Stargazer wrote:I would have disappointed if they hadn't been able to incorporate the existing McDonald's and touch free car wash.

(Snort!)
https://www.facebook.com/OmaNews/

Omaha_corn_burner
Library Board

Postby Omaha_corn_burner » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:48 am

RockHarbor wrote:Nevermind. I found at least something to remember it, thank goodness. Having no luck finding anything on line, I thought about the "street view" on Google Maps. Those were already too current, but I remembered Bing's are sometimes older and not kept as current. So, I found something on the "Bird's Eye" feature, although their "Street view" is also too current now. Good ole' Brentwood Square. (If somebody has a nicer picture to share, please do...!)

You can cycle through all the old street maps images on Google. In the upper left corner there is a gray box with the location and date. Click the date to see the older image. I can see the old marquee on there.

RockHarbor
Human Relations

Postby RockHarbor » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:43 pm

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:Nevermind. I found at least something to remember it, thank goodness. Having no luck finding anything on line, I thought about the "street view" on Google Maps. Those were already too current, but I remembered Bing's are sometimes older and not kept as current. So, I found something on the "Bird's Eye" feature, although their "Street view" is also too current now. Good ole' Brentwood Square. (If somebody has a nicer picture to share, please do...!)

You can cycle through all the old street maps images on Google. In the upper left corner there is a gray box with the location and date. Click the date to see the older image. I can see the old marquee on there.

Thanks so much for letting me know!! I had no idea, and hadn't noticed, you could scroll through those Google street views -- even old ones!! (I'm almost surprised how much I care about these things, some might find silly, but it all comes down to simply loving design of all types, including all that goes into creating a name & look for a shopping center. People like pulling into a shopping center or subdivision with nice signage, so it isn't ultimately silly -- of course. It's important in its own way. People that are like-minded with me are the ones that create this stuff.) Thanks again!
Last edited by RockHarbor on Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RockHarbor
Human Relations

Postby RockHarbor » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:57 pm

Returning to this forum after going to Google Maps: I got it!! And, these are way better, clearer views than I ever had with those BING aerials. Thanks again. I'm thrilled you showed me that. And, upon seeing it again, I'm already missing the sign (And I don't feel the updated sign is better --- at all. It doesn't have quite the smart style the old one had, which is why I often feel they shouldn't mess with things usually.) I hardly get down to La Vista, but that was always a sign I loved seeing while there, and I felt defined the area; I knew I was in "La Vista territory" seeing it. No shopping center in West Omaha quite had that chunky, brick sign w/a matching square, font changing direction down the side. As I said before: I feel that design would have been perfect around 132nd & West Center Road.

choke
Human Relations

Postby choke » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:52 am

Coyote wrote:
choke wrote:Wow! City Ventures started negotiations 18 months ago and they plan on starting construction beginning this fall. Gee whiz, I thought projects with this magnitude, similar to Crossroads Village, took a decade or more to get started.

Well, the original post in this thread for the project is August of 2008...

Yates has been involved with Crossroads since 2011 or earlier. City Ventures has been involved with the LaVista project for 1 1/2 years and plans on demolition by this fall. Yates is dragging his feet. Just saying.

MTO
City Council

Postby MTO » Tue May 17, 2016 7:45 pm

This was one of the topics on Gorw Omaha, should open in 2018.
15-17, 26, 32

HR Paperstacks
Parks & Recreation

Postby HR Paperstacks » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:37 pm

84th Street project is on the fast track in La Vista
Hailey Konnath / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The City of La Vista continues to power through the lengthy approvals process for its long-awaited, multimillion-dollar 84th Street redevelopment project.

The project, which will cost the city an estimated $54.1 million, was announced in late April. But the city has already marched through a slew of plan approvals, with more on the horizon.

“This is an aggressive time schedule,” Brenda Gunn, La Vista’s city administrator, said during a May interview.

Preliminary estimates show construction costs involving the city could total $54.1 million over the course of several years, according to the redevelopment projects plan approved at the July 19 City Council meeting.

The first phase will cost $28.1 million for work at the Brentwood Crossing site on 84th Street and Giles Road and $8 million for work on the golf course, city swimming pool or anywhere outside Brentwood Crossing. The city hopes to close the swimming pool, on the west side of 84th Street, and use the space for additional parking.

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:29 am

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:19 am

The a Golf Course is now closed and ready for renovations, the pond will become a lake...

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:36 am

This development will really be a game changer for La Vista.. and that, of course, is an understatement :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

WBR_Tom
New to the Neighborhood

Postby WBR_Tom » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:58 pm

Demolition started today on the vacant strip mall and the old Walmart to make way for the new development. Here's a Facebook live video from KMTV showing crews working on the demo:

https://www.facebook.com/Action3News/vi ... f=NEWSFEED

choke
Human Relations

Postby choke » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:17 pm

WBR_Tom wrote:Demolition started today on the vacant strip mall and the old Walmart to make way for the new development. Here's a Facebook live video from KMTV showing crews working on the demo:

https://www.facebook.com/Action3News/vi ... f=NEWSFEED

Holy Moly! Can Omaha get these guys to do the Crossroads development?

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:53 pm

choke wrote:Holy Moly! Can Omaha get these guys to do the Crossroads development?

Lol. Did you check when this thread was started? Over 8 years ago. And that was after much speculation....

choke
Human Relations

Postby choke » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:08 am

Coyote wrote:
choke wrote:Holy Moly! Can Omaha get these guys to do the Crossroads development?

Lol. Did you check when this thread was started? Over 8 years ago. And that was after much speculation....

Was the current developer, City Ventures, involved when the thread started eight years ago?

skinzfan23
County Board

Postby skinzfan23 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:56 am

Demolition work begins at future site of La Vista's City Centre redevelopment

Chris Erickson, co-founder of City Ventures, said the demolition process is expected to take four to six months, with work on the first buildings to begin in the spring.

The existing Chili’s, McDonald’s and car wash will remain. And there will be a new spot for First National Bank in the City Centre.

Erickson said he wouldn’t name expected tenants for the project but hopes to be able to do so soon. Of the potential tenants, some already operate in the area and others would be new to the market.

City Centre is scheduled to open in summer 2018.

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Postby MadMartin8 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:58 am

This is impressive. Have to admit, I didn't actually expect this to begin so soon, and also still stay true to focus (i.e not turn into an L Street marketplace).
No posts exist for this topic

Linkin5
County Board

Postby Linkin5 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:50 am

MadMartin8 wrote:This is impressive. Have to admit, I didn't actually expect this to begin so soon, and also still stay true to focus (i.e not turn into an L Street marketplace).

Yeah, definitely hope it stays true to these renderings.

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Postby GRANDPASMUCKER » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:07 am

I will be taking a nice long dirt nap out at Forest Lawn by the time that Golden Mile ever resembles those pictures. :(

nebugeater
County Board

Postby nebugeater » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:28 am

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:I will be taking a nice long dirt nap out at Forest Lawn by the time that Golden Mile ever resembles those pictures. :(

So you are saying we can expect it complete in 2018? :)
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

Cooters
New to the Neighborhood

Postby Cooters » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:35 pm

I know some of the buildings are supposed to start construction soon. At least FNB and a few other buildings, that is. I am unaware of what the other "few" buildings consist of at the moment, though I might be able to find out. The FNB branch won't shut down until the new one is ready to go live.

edsas
Human Relations

Postby edsas » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:27 am

RockHarbor
Human Relations

Postby RockHarbor » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:04 pm

That is all going to look so nice. Part of me liked driving down there and being around big, semi-tacky strip malls. It just didn't feel like "Omaha" to me in some ways. It almost felt I was in another city altogether. But, those empty strip malls gotta go...

BPHusker
Home Owners Association

Postby BPHusker » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:29 pm

I was driving through 84th and Giles and noticed the Family Video (and Marco's Pizza) was cleared out and shut down. When did that happen?

MagicSchoolBus
New to the Neighborhood

Postby MagicSchoolBus » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:17 pm

It closed a month or two ago. The Subway is still open.

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:38 pm

Looks like some scaffolding and a construction light in there now.
@bradwphoto on Twitter

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:51 pm

@bradwphoto on Twitter

Somedude
New to the Neighborhood

Postby Somedude » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:43 pm

Plans are out for two 4-5 story Mixed use/apartment/Condo buildings. Seems like this project is getting a lot more traction.

Return to “Suburban Omaha Development”