Oakdale Flats

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

SaOmaha
Library Board

Oakdale Flats

Post by SaOmaha »

The past few months I noticed this sign, below, on the southeast corner of 96th & the West Center
Frontage Road. This brick paved frontage road was part of the original road.  Friday, I drove past
this location south, and discovered the business that was here has closed.  

Google Map of site

Does any know anything about Oakdale Flats?  I was unable to find additional information
on the Prudential Ambassador Real Estate or OmahaCondoConnection.com websites.

I hope It does not go by the way of Farnam Woods.
10thstgoober
Home Owners Association

Post by 10thstgoober »

I know that sign has been there for a while now.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I will look it up in the next few days.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Oakdale Flats

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/money/redevelopmen ... mode=story
The Cottages at Oakdale would be built on about 2 acres near 9515 West Center Road. The plan, revised since 2013, calls for eight single-family homes developed by Essex Communities.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Kind of looks like a retirement community. The rendering looks like a picture you'd find hanging up in one, too.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

That image was from 2013 so it is probably the pre-revised plan. It is all aI could find though.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Not saying that I hate it. It looks nice, matches the area, and kinda has a nice layout to it. Just not my style. Maybe if I was older and had kids, it'd look more appealing to someone like me.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Actually when I look at their website now it does seem like they focus on retirement communities for people looking to downsize, but aren't to that age where they need help.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Okay, that makes more sense here.

The Bride
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

A little off-topic, but I've always found it weird that 96th doesn't go all the way through to Center. It stops just short on what I think used to be the Old Lincoln Highway. Wouldn't it make sense to just make it continue the rest of the way?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

It keeps the more affluent neighborhood more private and decreases traffic.

The Bride
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

HR Paperstacks wrote:A little off-topic, but I've always found it weird that 96th doesn't go all the way through to Center. It stops just short on what I think used to be the Old Lincoln Highway. Wouldn't it make sense to just make it continue the rest of the way?
I've always wondered why that frontage road was made of brick. That makes sense.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

Yes, the brick road was Lincoln Highway. Traffic stinks at the intersection; especially turning to go south coming from the east. No turn light, and usually you get stuck behind some idiot who doesn't know how to step on it. Traffic would be better used if it did go through to center, but I'm sure the brick is historical.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

If you need a light to turn left, there is a light at the west of the brick road by Oakdale Elementary. I have always liked the brick and the split intersections, its something different and I have never had any problems there. Besides the occasional person that isn't familiar with the intersection, it seems to work just fine.

I think if you made 96th go straight through to Center, you would end up with more traffic on 96th and it would turn in to a mess.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Brad wrote:If you need a light to turn left, there is a light at the west of the brick road by Oakdale Elementary. I have always liked the brick and the split intersections, its something different and I have never had any problems there. Besides the occasional person that isn't familiar with the intersection, it seems to work just fine.

I think if you made 96th go straight through to Center, you would end up with more traffic on 96th and it would turn in to a mess.
True. They would probably have to make it four lanes to F St eventually.
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

Brad wrote:If you need a light to turn left, there is a light at the west of the brick road by Oakdale Elementary. I have always liked the brick and the split intersections, its something different and I have never had any problems there. Besides the occasional person that isn't familiar with the intersection, it seems to work just fine.

I do agree. However, when I used to live in Papillion and traveled 96th almost daily, there was always one person who couldn't figure out how this area worked, and traffic would back up.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

mcarch wrote:

I do agree. However, when I used to live in Papillion and traveled 96th almost daily, there was always one person who couldn't figure out how this area worked, and traffic would back up.
There should be a required education for all people living here about all the cross streets that aren't continuous all the way through. I know of most of them, but even I will forget sometimes...

The Bride
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Tree removal and grading work has begun on this lot
charlie123
Home Owners Association

Post by charlie123 »

Is this still moving forward? Their website isnt up anymore that i can see.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

charlie123 wrote:Is this still moving forward? Their website isnt up anymore that i can see.
Yeah, there is at least one foundation that has gone in this winter. For some reason I am thinking there is more. I will be driving by there this evening, I will take a closer look.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

There is only one foundation so far, however that house or "cottage" is fully framed. They were just putting the last sheets of plywood on the roof this morning…
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

After a delay, it appears they are working on the cottages again.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

These structures are incredibly homely and just don't seem to fit sitting in the same neighborhood as half million dollar homes. How did this happen?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looks like one is nearly done, all the foundations are in, and at least 4 others in various stages of framing.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:

ovo
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ovo »

All eight of these "cottages" have sold... average price: right around $450,000 each.

Pretty incredible. They are all 2,360 SF, 2-bed/3-bath.

http://essexseniorliving.com/The-Cottag ... braska.pdf

I think we will see more developments like this over the next 5 years.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

And they are all quite homely.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

I'm not near the demographic this is targeting, but it feels strange to me to turn a little 8 household neighborhood so inward that you put the back of the houses on the street. I like my neighbors but it seems so forced in this micro-community design.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Kinda weird... So your garage is effectively your front door and your front door only gets used when you feel like going for a cute little 300 ft walk. Okay... :?