Oak Hills Neighborhood

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

aj4andy
New to the Neighborhood

Oak Hills Neighborhood

Post by aj4andy »

Hi everyone,

I looked at a house in Oak Hills the other day that I really liked.  The neighborhood has some nice looking older homes with some charm/character.  I am newer to Omaha and dont know much about this neighborhood.  From what I can tell it seems like old money.  We are a younger couple and are concerned the older home needing some work will be tough to come out ahead on.  Any opinions of the neighborhood and how you think it evolve over the next 10+ years would be interesting.  Thank you!
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Oak Hills is a nice older neighborhood.  Its has a secluded feel, but its right in the middle of everything.  The golf course is nice too.
where the corn meets the concrete
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I know that neighborhood well, as one of my childhood friends lived in Oak Hills, and I took art lessons there, too.  First off, back in the day, that was considered a very nice neighborhood, and it still really is.  I mean, I was just looking at that neighborhood the other day (off Harrison & I-80), and I'm so used to it, that I don't really think about it.  But, it struck me how the styles of homes built there have nice lines (a lot of long horizontal lines, hip roofs and gables, and large rectangular chimneys), and you just don't see that many neighborhoods in Omaha with that certain look.  It is almost "Regency South" in a way, yet it has a different look than Regency.  It represents that same time period, though...  Nice neighborhood!  Mature trees...ect.
SRT84WD
New to the Neighborhood

Post by SRT84WD »

There are multiple young families moving back into that neighborhood.  My aunt and uncle have two young children and recently moved into a house on Oak Hills Dr, and one of my friends who is a professor at Creighton with a young family just moved there as well.  If you speak with the staff at the Country Club about who has been joining over the last year, you'll find it's mainly younger families and businessmen.  If I moved to West O that's where I would go.  Good luck with your search.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I'm wondering what year(s) Oak Hills was built?  I'm guessing the late 70's??  I've recently done a quick study of the history of Millard, and I found that subdivisions were starting to form around the big AT&T plant ('L' street, between 132nd and 120th), in the early 60's.  Millard was annexed in 1971.  I had no idea that Omaha was out to Millard by the early 60's.  I wonder when the large, sprawling neighborhood of Stonybrook was built in Millard?  I'm guessing mid-late 70's?
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

GRID wrote:I'm wondering what year(s) Oak Hills was built?  I'm guessing the late 70's??  I've recently done a quick study of the history of Millard, and I found that subdivisions were starting to form around the big AT&T plant ('L' street, between 132nd and 120th), in the early 60's.  Millard was annexed in 1971.  I had no idea that Omaha was out to Millard by the early 60's.  I wonder when the large, sprawling neighborhood of Stonybrook was built in Millard?  I'm guessing mid-late 70's?
We live immediately to the East of Stonybrook and our neighborhood was built in 1971.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Re:

Post by bigredmed »

RockHarbor wrote:I'm wondering what year(s) Oak Hills was built?  I'm guessing the late 70's??  I've recently done a quick study of the history of Millard, and I found that subdivisions were starting to form around the big AT&T plant ('L' street, between 132nd and 120th), in the early 60's.  Millard was annexed in 1971.  I had no idea that Omaha was out to Millard by the early 60's.  I wonder when the large, sprawling neighborhood of Stonybrook was built in Millard?  I'm guessing mid-late 70's?
Oak Hills was built in the 1960s and closed in with the last group of townhomes in the 70's. St. John Vianney was built in the late 70's. The houses that are south from 120th, were built last around 1992.

Speaking of that part of town, sounds like Lanoha is going to buy the old Millard Lumber location and put in some "market rate" apartments. I don't know what that descriptor means. Hope it means nice apartments that people want to live in.