Hy-Vee (144th and Stony Brook Blvd)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

UNOstudent
Human Relations

Hy-Vee (144th and Stony Brook Blvd)

Post by UNOstudent »

Stoney Brook store is announced, Oakview closing.
Hy-Vee is moving out of the Oakview area to a new, bigger store near 144th and Stony Brook Boulevard. Store officials say the new store will offer customers a "21st century shopping experience."

The project will include a roughly 84,000 square foot store and a convenience store/gas station. When completed, Hy-Vee expects to hire 200 people.

The store will include a variety of eat-in and take-out dining options, a Caribou coffee kiosk, a drive-up pharmacy window and one-hour and digital photo labs. There will be expanded departments of fresh-cut meat, organic produce, HealthMarket products, gourmet salads, desserts and much more. The store will also feature a Hy-Vee Club room for classes and meetings as well as the services of an in-store dietitian.

Construction is tentatively scheduled to begin this summer.

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/40222867.html
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

I think this is a great move by HyVee, The traffic around Oakview is terrible.
where the corn meets the concrete
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Ironically, they closed a store 3 blocks away (now CarpetLand) nearly 15 years ago to build behind Oakview.  If they don't begin construction out at 180th & Pacific soon, the plans for a store out there will last longer than the Oakview store.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

15 years is a decent life for the store if they can sell or lease the old building.  It shows that they don't wait to make changes when changes are needed.  I think a lot of other chains would run a store in to the ground before making strategic moves like HyVee is doing.
where the corn meets the concrete
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

HskrFanMike wrote:Ironically, they closed a store 3 blocks away (now CarpetLand) nearly 15 years ago to build behind Oakview.  If they don't begin construction out at 180th & Pacific soon, the plans for a store out there will last longer than the Oakview store.
Really?  That was a Hy-Vee before Osco?  That was one tiny grocery store, then.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

joeglow wrote:
HskrFanMike wrote:Ironically, they closed a store 3 blocks away (now CarpetLand) nearly 15 years ago to build behind Oakview.  If they don't begin construction out at 180th & Pacific soon, the plans for a store out there will last longer than the Oakview store.
Really?  That was a Hy-Vee before Osco?  That was one tiny grocery store, then.
It originally was a Safeway.  When Safeway pulled out of Omaha in the late 70's/early 80's, Hy-Vee expanded into Nebraska to fill the void since there were empty, fully equipped stores read and waiting.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Either way, should be an interesting war between Hy-Vee and Bakers.  Super Saver should be okay, as they already drove away No Frills.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Drove by this construction site today on my semi-annual trip to my dentist.  Construction is probably half way done.  Looks like they will be enclosed before winter.  It obviously will be a much larger store than Oakview.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looks like the new HyVee will open 5/18/2010

http://www.cityofomaha.org/cityclerk/im ... erk/97.pdf
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

More smiles in more aisles

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100518/M ... ore-aisles
John Keenan WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The curtain rose Tuesday on Hy-Vee's newest supermarket in Omaha near 144th Street and Stoney Brook Boulevard, which replaces an older store south of Oak View Mall that closed last weekend.

Eric Ruiz was among the approximately 200 full- and part-time employees of the old Hy-Vee who transferred to the new store about 2 miles away.

“This store is way nicer,” Ruiz said last week, pausing momentarily from labeling spices in the health food section and looking around the supermarket, which is 20,000 feet larger than the Oak View location. “It should be pretty exciting for people coming in to see how the new store looks.”
John Keenan WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The new location should work for established customers of the Oak View store, which was 17 years old, while drawing new shoppers, he said.

“We're on what we describe as a ‘hard corner' here, as opposed to tucked into a shopping area,” Jurgens said.

The location's advantages include a “tremendous traffic pattern,” access to homeowners nearby and proximity to a major street.
John Keenan WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The new store features an on-staff dietitian, two chefs, a medical clinic and new departments, including one for sushi.
John Keenan WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The new building also features a “club room,” in which Hy-Vee will hold cooking classes as well as make available to customers for meetings and parties. Catering manager Jill Volpi is christening the room with 10 weekly “tours” of America's best food cities.
John Keenan WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Jurgens said the new Omaha store exemplifies “how much we value being part of this market.” The 84,500-square-foot building, land, equipment and inventory represents a $21 million investment in the community, he said.

“We're an employee-owned company,'' he said, “and we don't spend money like that casually.”
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Hy-Vee is also building a new store on W. Broadway in Council Bluffs.  Looks like it may be open by early autumn.  It would be the closest Hy-Vee to downtown Omaha.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nativeomahan wrote:Hy-Vee is also building a new store on W. Broadway in Council Bluffs.  Looks like it may be open by early autumn.  It would be the closest Hy-Vee to downtown Omaha.
There is a whole thread on that in the Council Bluffs Section.

http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4413
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I was in the HyVee at 144th and Stonybrook this weekend.  Store definitely has a unique layout.  I like most of it, but part of it seems a bit weird?  It seemed like the frozen food section was just shoved over in the corner.  Also the regular aisles are hidden from the front.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:I was in the HyVee at 144th and Stonybrook this weekend.  Store definitely has a unique layout.  I like most of it, but part of it seems a bit weird?  It seemed like the frozen food section was just shoved over in the corner.  Also the regular aisles are hidden from the front.

I have been in their twice and I don't like the layout.  Seems really strange with major isles running both directions.  Agree on the frozen section just not fitting in either.  It could just be "getting used to it" but it is a lot difforent than any other Hyvee I have been in, or other grocery store for that matter.  By the way, the one in Lincoln near 48th & O is strange too although  not the same as this one.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

It is a nice store...  I've been in there, and I'm glad that Stony Brook lot is finally filled-in.  And, I'm noticing the facade is a bit varied from other stores, which I'm glad to see.  I like the light coloring on this one.  I think this store style would look also nice bringing in some maybe designer light greens on the stucco, mixed with the bieges and off-whites.  With the brown/red brick, and red Hy-Vee lettering, I think it would look nice.  Kinda a "prairie" designer look....  (It would have to be the perfect, subtle very light green tone/color, or green-grey color, I think, though...)
chaoman45
Home Owners Association

Post by chaoman45 »

It's too bad their Chinese is sub-par.

Otherwise, it could've been my favourite grocery.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

chaoman45 wrote:It's too bad their Chinese is sub-par.

I do go into Hy-Vee for chinese now & then.  Some meals I have eaten have been kinda disappointing, because it was a bit soppy (for my taste).  But, overall, I feel it is pretty good and priced decent.  The grocery store cafeteria atmosphere doesn't exactly "whisk you away to the Orient" while you eat it, though.  :)
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
chaoman45
Home Owners Association

Post by chaoman45 »

RockHarbor wrote:

I do go into Hy-Vee for chinese now & then.  Some meals I have eaten have been kinda disappointing, because it was a bit soppy (for my taste).  But, overall, I feel it is pretty good and priced decent.  The grocery store cafeteria atmosphere doesn't exactly "whisk you away to the Orient" while you eat it, though.  :)
Oh, the Hy-Vee Chinese is decent. I seldom complain about a place that allows me to eat as much as I want for a nominal fee; and I don't expect gourmet cuisine from ANY "all-you-can-eat" place. Unfortunately, this location (closest to my house) had rangoons barely to room temp at one point and I'm not sure what happened with the Sesame Chicken. All I know is that the 180th and Q location is better for when you want Chinese but don't want to pay a lot for it.

But yes, I agree. The atmosphere can ruin the feel, won't it?

To Hy-Vee's credit, their produce at Stonybrook is some of the best I've seen in the last ever. Maybe it's because I went on Opening week. Either way, first impression is everything.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

chaoman45 wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:

Oh, the Hy-Vee Chinese is decent. I seldom complain about a place that allows me to eat as much as I want for a nominal fee; and I don't expect gourmet cuisine from ANY "all-you-can-eat" place. Unfortunately, this location (closest to my house) had rangoons barely to room temp at one point and I'm not sure what happened with the Sesame Chicken. All I know is that the 180th and Q location is better for when you want Chinese but don't want to pay a lot for it.

But yes, I agree. The atmosphere can ruin the feel, won't it?

To Hy-Vee's credit, their produce at Stonybrook is some of the best I've seen in the last ever. Maybe it's because I went on Opening week. Either way, first impression is everything.
I see your points.  Yes, it is all you can eat, and it is really pretty decent Chinese for the price.  I also enjoy the Chinese the most at 180th and 'Q.'  That's funny....  (And, I don't expect the cafeteria to have a "Great Wall" theme, while people are eating other types of food in there -- including salad bars and turkey dinners.)  :)

Yes, Hy-Vee is a successful business for many reasons.  They are very friendly, for one.  I like many grocery store chains in Omaha, including good ole' Hy-Vee.  I remember back when their breakfasts were $.99.  They still put out coupons for that same price...
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
charlie123
Home Owners Association

Post by charlie123 »

Their pizza is best bought and baked at home.  When buying at the store, it often sits around for a while and isn't as fresh.    The chinese on Maple isn't as good as on 180th & Q - I agree!  The chicken is sometimes tough.  not sure what's wrong there.   i do have to comment on the subject about the new Hy-Vee at Stonybrook in order to get back on task w/the topic of this forum.   The store has a great layout, great produce, etc. etc.   But the floors are concrete...much reminds me of a walmart.  I don't like the "unfinished" look.  It reminds me too much of a garage or basement.   The store is darker in appearance as well and has less of a "hospital clean" appearance.    The reason they do this, though, is because the floors are less slick when they get wet, which leads to less accidents, etc.  It also costs far less, I'm sure.     I think that's the format of the new Hy-Vee's which won't go away.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

charlie123 wrote:Their pizza is best bought and baked at home.  When buying at the store, it often sits around for a while and isn't as fresh.    The chinese on Maple isn't as good as on 180th & Q - I agree!  The chicken is sometimes tough.  not sure what's wrong there.   i do have to comment on the subject about the new Hy-Vee at Stonybrook in order to get back on task w/the topic of this forum.   The store has a great layout, great produce, etc. etc.   But the floors are concrete...much reminds me of a walmart.  I don't like the "unfinished" look.  It reminds me too much of a garage or basement.   The store is darker in appearance as well and has less of a "hospital clean" appearance.    The reason they do this, though, is because the floors are less slick when they get wet, which leads to less accidents, etc.  It also costs far less, I'm sure.     I think that's the format of the new Hy-Vee's which won't go away.
The pizza is best at home?  I'll have to try that sometime.  Thanks for the tip...  Funny how you also like the chinese best at 180th and 'Q.'  Wonder why that store is best?  Do they have a special kitchen grill bought & delivered straight out of Hong Kong or something?  :)

Yeah, I like stained concrete floors (in the right setting).  But, they are a harder surface to walk (and work) on.  Yeah, that would make it darker in there than their usual reflective, white gleaming square tiles...  Overall, though, I do think it is a very nice store...  As long as I can get my "campfire mocha" in there once in awhile, I'm good...  :)
Coyote
City Council

Re: Hy-Vee (144th and Stony Brook Blvd)

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:
Brad wrote:My money is that they will start once the 96th and Q remodel is finished.
They are starting the remodel of the Stony Brook location addition before the Applewood makeover is finished (which will take at least another year).
Yeah, but that remodel will be on a much smaller scale than 96th and Q.
Finally they are getting to Stony Brook's Market Grill Express with a $300K remodel...
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:
Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:
Brad wrote:My money is that they will start once the 96th and Q remodel is finished.
They are starting the remodel of the Stony Brook location addition before the Applewood makeover is finished (which will take at least another year).
Yeah, but that remodel will be on a much smaller scale than 96th and Q.
Finally they are getting to Stony Brook's Market Grill Express with a $300K remodel...
Nice :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

There is dirt work going on in front of the HyVee on Stonybrook in Millard, right next to the HyVee gas.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

Brad wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:15 pm There is dirt work going on in front of the HyVee on Stonybrook in Millard, right next to the HyVee gas.
Wonder what that's for? I was told my management at 180th and Q that they supposedly are going to build an addition on the west end to accommodate more pickup orders. Not sure if customers will drive over there to get them or if it's simply going to be more staging space to place and hold orders. That store as a whole is too small - not in the sense of being able to offer a decent variety of products but the fact when they run out of something they don't have enough room in back for back stock to replenish inventory.

In any case, most of the retailers in the area (and probably in the country) could have never prepared for the overwhelming demand for drive up orders that essentially stemmed from covid. Every store I've been to that does drive up says they need more space (I work PT at a Target and they expanded a ton of backroom space for drive up orders and relocated the drive up parking spaces).
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Brad wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:15 pm There is dirt work going on in front of the HyVee on Stonybrook in Millard, right next to the HyVee gas.
Looked again at the building permits and I see they are building a Chipotle.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

Brad wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:23 pm
Looked again at the building permits and I see they are building a Chipotle.
This is open now.

Chipotle
14415 Stony Brook Blvd
Omaha, NE 68137
https://www.chipotle.com/
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

nice - I wish they'd drop a Chipotle between 192nd & 204th from Giles to Q St.
Raraavis
Library Board

Post by Raraavis »

What is being built/remodeled at the North end of this plaza North of the UHaul Storage Facility? There are Hy-Vee construction signs on the building and Hy-Vee construction trailer and trucks out front. Is the store relocating? Is this the old Hy-Vee location that Hy-Vee still owns? Are they remodeling it for someone else?
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Raraavis wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:38 pm Is this the old Hy-Vee location that Hy-Vee still owns?
This is the old Super Saver. At one time it was rumored to be remodeled into a Menards, but that idea died a while ago. I wouldn't be shocked if HyVee did buy the building and plan to use it as a base of operations for an Aisles Online/grocery delivery type of fulfillment center.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

almighty_tuna wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:51 pm
Raraavis wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:38 pm Is this the old Hy-Vee location that Hy-Vee still owns?
This is the old Super Saver. At one time it was rumored to be remodeled into a Menards, but that idea died a while ago. I wouldn't be shocked if HyVee did buy the building and plan to use it as a base of operations for an Aisles Online/grocery delivery type of fulfillment center.
They already tried that a few years ago, and it crashed and burned, and they closed to go back in store.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

nebugeater wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:24 pm
almighty_tuna wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:51 pm
They already tried that a few years ago, and it crashed and burned, and they closed to go back in store.
According to a manager at the HyVee on 180th & Q they claim it is going to be additional storage for food. It is about the only thing that would make any sense considering their store across the street to the south.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Well, given it used to be a warehouse style grocery store there's probably not much to change on the inside.