Baker Square (SWC 132nd & Center)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Re: Baker Square

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:
Brad wrote:How many will this make? They are building the one on West Maple, isn't there another one going in far southwest too? or is it just these two so far?
Wasn't one announced for the Crossroads?
That's it. I knew there was another. Crossroads, Greyhawk, and now Baker Square.
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

BTW, there already exists a Fresh Thyme topic here:
http://eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16542
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Disappointed to see Baker Square removed the old clock in favor of more signs...

Also, Aldi looks open.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I can confirm- The Aldi is open at Baker’s Square…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
ashreads
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ashreads »

Anyone know what’s going in the old fabric store next to Marshall’s? Saw there has been construction going on for the last few weeks.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

ashreads wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:31 pm Anyone know what’s going in the old fabric store next to Marshall’s? Saw there has been construction going on for the last few weeks.
Wrong side of 132nd. :P Marshall's would be Montclair not Baker Square. The only fabric store I am aware of in the area is the Jo-Ann at Baker Square. There was a Hancock Fabrics next to Marshall's, but I think it closed a few years ago.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

ChadJK wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:30 am
ashreads wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:31 pm Anyone know what’s going in the old fabric store next to Marshall’s? Saw there has been construction going on for the last few weeks.
Wrong side of 132nd. :P Marshall's would be Montclair not Baker Square. The only fabric store I am aware of in the area is the Jo-Ann at Baker Square. There was a Hancock Fabrics next to Marshall's, but I think it closed a few years ago.
Didn’t a Marshall’ s appear on the west side of 132nd St a while ago?
ashreads
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ashreads »

My bad. Wrong side 🤣 yes, by Marshall’s in the old Hancock store it looks like there is construction going on.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

The ALDI store resembles their store near 72nd and Pacific. It’s a bit deeper that the store it replaces, with wider aisles. And ALDI without question has the fastest checkers I have ever had the pleasure to encounter.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ashreads wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:32 pm My bad. Wrong side 🤣 yes, by Marshall’s in the old Hancock store it looks like there is construction going on.
Is this the new Hy-Vee liquor store mentioned in a different thread?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:02 pm
ashreads wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:32 pm My bad. Wrong side 🤣 yes, by Marshall’s in the old Hancock store it looks like there is construction going on.
Is this the new Hy-Vee liquor store mentioned in a different thread?
That’s what I believe it is…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

So, planet fitness is moving in next to the CHI clinic. This shopping center has had some big wins lately, but with Aldi and Planet Fitness moved/moving here, Dave & Busters and company are losing anchors across the street.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

ita wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:42 pm So, planet fitness is moving in next to the CHI clinic. This shopping center has had some big wins lately, but with Aldi and Planet Fitness moved/moving here, Dave & Busters and company are losing anchors across the street.
Last time I was in Dave and Busters the place looked like a tornado had gone through it. The bar area had spilled drinks all over the floor and bar top. The place seemed to be understaffed (surprise surprise), the food was "eh"... and the service took forever. The best part of the visit was we happened to wander in on a day where the games were 1/2 off so you could play stuff basically twice as long as usual.

I don't think it will survive, which sucks because it is a pretty cool venue. Although I think they should toss in a couple of bowling lanes.

Oh, and the clientele that seemed to be in on that weeknight was questionable (perhaps an added bonus of the 1/2 off games special?). Lots of teens running around, being loud and dumb.
TransitOriented
Library Board

Post by TransitOriented »

Anyone know what the new building will be?
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

TransitOriented wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:33 pm Anyone know what the new building will be?
According to public notices, it will be a "financial center". Not sure beyond that.
City of Omaha Public Notices 10/6/22 wrote:Waiver of Sections 55-366, 55-740, & 55-928 – Variance to the front yard setback from 25’ to 15’ and to the minimum stall depth for 60 degree parking stalls from 20’ to 17.8’ to allow for the construction of a new financial center building and drive-thru lane; 13255 W. Center Rd.
https://omahadailyrecord.com/content/ci ... ices-10622
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

BRoss wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:28 pm
TransitOriented wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:33 pm Anyone know what the new building will be?
According to public notices, it will be a "financial center". Not sure beyond that.
So by "financial center" that probably means a car wash. Someone will make loads of money!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It was in my last Grow Omaha Construction Update and in the Grow Omaha news letter. Bank of America.
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

Brad wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:52 pm It was in my last Grow Omaha Construction Update and in the Grow Omaha news letter. Bank of America.
Bank of America would be a nice catch for Omaha, since we are one of the largest metro's in the country without a branch. This retail corridor of 120th to 132nd along W. Center is one of my favorites for a so called "Older" suburban part of West Omaha. It seems to have aged fairly well with the exception of the rundown Orchard Plaza which needs help or should be demolished.
MadJack
Home Owners Association

Post by MadJack »

They're also putting a B of A branch at 86th & Dodge in the old Commercial Federal building.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

djc311 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:59 pm
ita wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:42 pm So, planet fitness is moving in next to the CHI clinic. This shopping center has had some big wins lately, but with Aldi and Planet Fitness moved/moving here, Dave & Busters and company are losing anchors across the street.
Last time I was in Dave and Busters the place looked like a tornado had gone through it. The bar area had spilled drinks all over the floor and bar top. The place seemed to be understaffed (surprise surprise), the food was "eh"... and the service took forever. The best part of the visit was we happened to wander in on a day where the games were 1/2 off so you could play stuff basically twice as long as usual.

I don't think it will survive, which sucks because it is a pretty cool venue. Although I think they should toss in a couple of bowling lanes.

Oh, and the clientele that seemed to be in on that weeknight was questionable (perhaps an added bonus of the 1/2 off games special?). Lots of teens running around, being loud and dumb.

I pin Dave & Busters as the Adult version of Chuck-E-Cheese.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

bbinks wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:25 pm
I pin Dave & Busters as the Adult version of Chuck-E-Cheese.
Minus the brawls after a kids' divorced parents + aunts/uncles start fighting after drinking a few pitchers.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Charley15
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Charley15 »

I could be wrong, but isn’t there a Mexican restaurant going in the area/next to where Dave & Busters is?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Charley15 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:54 pm I could be wrong, but isn’t there a Mexican restaurant going in the area/next to where Dave & Busters is?
Isla Del Mar Restaurante been open for a least a month

That said neither Dave & Busters or Isla Del Mar Restaurante are in Baker Square, they are in the shopping center across the street to the north.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Isla Del Mar is worth a visit. It just might be the largest restaurant in Omaha. They also have a panaderia and seafood counter inside. In my opinion the place is too big. It’s where ALDI used to be. The menu is large, and includes sushi.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

nativeomahan wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:41 am Isla Del Mar is worth a visit. It just might be the largest restaurant in Omaha. They also have a panaderia and seafood counter inside. In my opinion the place is too big. It’s where ALDI used to be. The menu is large, and includes sushi.
The original Isla Del Mar on 36th is great, too.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

nativeomahan wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:41 am Isla Del Mar is worth a visit. It just might be the largest restaurant in Omaha. They also have a panaderia and seafood counter inside. In my opinion the place is too big. It’s where ALDI used to be. The menu is large, and includes sushi.
This is a Mexican restaurant with sushi?

But do they have cliff divers??? :)
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

djc311 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:26 am
This is a Mexican restaurant with sushi?

But do they have cliff divers??? :)
Ahh, you are hankering for the now reopened Casa Bonita in suburban Denver, with their cliff divers and famous sopapillas. The South Park gang invested a |expletive| ton of $ restoring that place.

Yes Isla Del Mar is a seafood restaurant that focuses on sushi as well as Mexican seafood dishes.
TransitOriented
Library Board

Post by TransitOriented »

Brad wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:52 pm It was in my last Grow Omaha Construction Update and in the Grow Omaha news letter. Bank of America.
Looks like all the steel is up.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Re: Baker Square (SWC 132nd & Center)

Post by ChadJK »

Completely unimportant and more of a ponderance, but why is it called Baker Square? It can't be because there was a Baker's there back in the day. Otherwise, it'd be Baker's Square. Right?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

ChadJK wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:26 am Completely unimportant and more of a ponderance, but why is it called Baker Square? It can't be because there was a Baker's there back in the day. Otherwise, it'd be Baker's Square. Right?
I think that's the exact reason. I think Jack Baker developed it and had a highly profitable store there. Baker's had a successful development arm back in the day.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Yep, Jack Baker developed the center back around 1970. It housed the city’s largest Baker’s supermarket for many years. It seems odd that in recent years the center housed a Fresh Tyme grocery, and now an ALDI, while the nearest Baker’s is down the road in the Westwood Center,
ProgKingHughesker
Home Owners Association

Post by ProgKingHughesker »

nativeomahan wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:29 pm Yep, Jack Baker developed the center back around 1970. It housed the city’s largest Baker’s supermarket for many years. It seems odd that in recent years the center housed a Fresh Tyme grocery, and now an ALDI, while the nearest Baker’s is down the road in the Westwood Center,
The former Baker's was also a No Frills for a few years (funnily enough, they were originally gonna take the Albertsons in Westwood that Baker's ended up buying out at the last minute). If it had survived into the Family Fare era it would've closed by then I assume.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

ChadJK wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:26 am Completely unimportant and more of a ponderance, but why is it called Baker Square? It can't be because there was a Baker's there back in the day. Otherwise, it'd be Baker's Square. Right?
I lived in apartments behind the strip mall portion 1975-76, and during that time for years after, it was indeed Baker's Square. Not sure when it changed but it'd make sense that Harold Cooperman and his son-in-law had something to do with it.