HyVee Linden Market(132 & Dodge)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

HyVee Linden Market(132 & Dodge)

Post by Brad »

HyVee Major Overhaul (132 & Dodge)

I was shipping some packages over lunch today at the HyVee on 132 and Dodge and noticed the bank was gone.  I asked the Lady where the bank went.  She said they moved across the street.  I asked here if another bank was moving in and she said no, then I was really curious.  I said what are they going to do with the space and she said they were remodeling the entire building.  She said when finished it would look just like the other HyVees in town.  They were moving the entrances, and then relocating the post office/customer service up front.  They were moving the Deli and Chinese express to the other side of the store.  They were building a liquor store on the west end of the building.  She said it was going to take 2 years, but it would be a completely new store when they are done.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Nice to see some investment in one of their older (I remember when they built it!!) stores.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

How old is this store?  Wasn't it built in the early 90s?
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Late 80s.  I worked there when I was 15 so that was late 1990-into-1991.  Don't remember exactly when it was "finished", though.
Stable genius.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

This store is being remodeled like the new ones, yet don't the new ones have banks inside?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The Contractor has an office set up in the empty bay next to HyVee and it looks like they have started in the Location of the old bank.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

There was about a 3' deep hole where the self checkouts use to be:

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I am employed at this particular Hy-Vee.  It actually won't look like any other stores built with in the past few years in Omaha.  The company recently implemented a new floor plan for all newly built and remodeled stores.  They have a floor plan set up through the security scanners if I am not mistaken.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It is very cool that Hy Vee is working on this store and the addition at the one on Fort.  We really need companies that can afford to do these things now.  The construction industry is really really hurting.

Greg
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

I am going to assume that photo is from your cellphone.  It doesn't seem to be up to you usually photographic standards :;):.  I looks from what I can see in the photo that they have that place really tore up.
where the corn meets the concrete
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

HyVee on 132 is going crazy now.  They have a temporary entrance right in the middle of the store now.  Outside the temporary entrance they have an intermodal container being used as a temporary cart storage area.  They have moved the drive lanes way out from the store and have orange Jersey barriers showing the lanes through the front.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Just got home from work there I over heard some guys saying they ran 5 miles of wire today.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

"I've laid more pipe in this town than Wabasha Plumbing."

Stable genius.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Brad wrote:HyVee on 132 is going crazy now.  They have a temporary entrance right in the middle of the store now.  Outside the temporary entrance they have an intermodal container being used as a temporary cart storage area.  They have moved the drive lanes way out from the store and have orange Jersey barriers showing the lanes through the front.
Whenever I've been in that Hy-Vee, I never could find things anyway...so it would be pretty much normal from my perspective.   :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Half the front facade has been pulled off.  And the kitchen and bakery will be moving to their new areas in about two weeks.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The new front is really coming along.  It appears from the floor plan they will have the same setup as the new HyVee on Stonybrook.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:The new front is really coming along.  It appears from the floor plan they will have the same setup as the new HyVee on Stonybrook.
Yeah it is really looking like a real store now, but there are still at least 6 more months until it is a finished product.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I was in the HyVee today.  The new entrance is open on the East.  Still looks like it will be a little while before the west one gets open.  The Chinese was moved up to its new location in the front.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:I was in the HyVee today.  The new entrance is open on the East.  Still looks like it will be a little while before the west one gets open.  The Chinese was moved up to its new location in the front.
The new wine a spirits wing or whatever you want to call it should be open by October by what I am told.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Front is all finished and the new wine and spirits, frozen/dairy, and pharmacy all opened this week it is really coming along.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I got lunch there yesterday.  Its really looking good.
mrdwhsr
Library Board

Post by mrdwhsr »

The pharmacy has been moved to it's new location. The parking lot is pretty much back to normal. Removing the extra "junque" from the parking lot really reduced the construction clutter.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Big E wrote:Late 80s.  I worked there when I was 15 so that was late 1990-into-1991.  Don't remember exactly when it was "finished", though.
Yeah, it was 1990, I think.  I remember that store and plaza being built.  That was back when there was a traffic light strung across 132nd and Dodge, and there were mostly all fields around, and Ridgefield and Candlewood (behind it) looked pretty new.

I like Hy-Vee alot, and I like their new stores.  However, I wish they would alternate their designs more, throughout town.  It just seems like every Hy-Vee is the same identical "mold."  Omaha and Des Moines both almost feel like "Hy-Vee Nation" to me, there are starting to be so many of them, with their tiered front facades.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

???  Walgreens, CVS, Burger King, McDonald's, Applebees, Chili's, Quick Trip....  

Its so you recognize it and stop.  Companies have been doing it for decades.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Brad wrote:???  Walgreens, CVS, Burger King, McDonald's, Applebees, Chili's, Quick Trip....  

Its so you recognize it and stop.  Companies have been doing it for decades.
True.  I had thought about that.  The outer appearance of the business can be marketing through a trademark architectural design.  McDonalds had those trademark mansard roofs for years, Pizza Hut and A&W had very distinctive rooflines, ect.  However, nowadays, a lot of newly-built McDonalds look a bit different from each other.  Taco Bell has a set of different designs.  Walgreens usually has that same corner drug store design, but it can vary a bit.  I think of Baker's:  A lot of them are in plazas, which vary in design, but still, they all don't look the same.  Wal-Marts often don't look exactly the same (i.e. I've never seen a Wal-Mart look like the new one built on I-80 and Cornhusker Highway).  However, they use the same lettering font and symbol on the varying exteriors.  

I think using a trademark design is smart marketing in some ways, but I also think a business needs to be careful with that, too.  If their design is too trademark, the structure might be hard to sell in the future, if they ever were to sale. (I've eaten at a Chinese restaurant in what was obviously an old A&W before, and in a Subway that was in an old Taco Bell and an old Dairy Queen.  So, the new business is almost "haunted" by the former business.)  

Again, I think new Hy-Vee stores are very nice.  I just would like to see some alterations on the facades. I don't like seeing that same exact design repeated again and again all over town (on any chain).  This is the Omaha cityscape we are talking about here.  Ya know?  I'm not picking on Hy-Vee.  If Target or Costco were to build the same "cookie cutter" big box store all over Omaha, it would equally concern me.  Too much of the same beige stucco-and-brick "big box" all over town, creates a blandness I don't think serves the Omaha cityscape well.  Here's Hy-Vee's signature facade.  It is nice.  But, it is starting to be repeated a lot:

Why couldn't some Hy-Vee's be camel-colored, or mocha-colored, with brown shangles on hip roofs, and stone/rock accents?  With the red lettering, I think it would look really sharp.  This style on this Albertson's facade is what I mean:

Here's an example of the alpine/lodge architecture seen on the Albertson's in Jackson Hole, WY:
http://img.groundspeak.com/waymarking/d ... ad21fc.jpg

And other of it:  http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&gbv=2 ... CAQQtgMwAA

Omaha sits enough on the prairie "frontier", near enough to CO and WY, that we could easily pull that western, rustic design off here.  It is so warm and inviting.  (You almost feel like having a mocha by a stone fireplace, when you shop...)  Why couldn't we have stores and plazas that looked like that, with abundant pines and firs and grasses and big boulders and cottonwoods (that almost look aspen-ish) landscaped around it?

Here's another grocery store in Jackson, WY: http://www.jacksonholetimeshare.com/jac ... epage.html  Look at the use of those broad, horizontal roofs, and gently-sloping gables.  You just don't see a lot of this unique, thoughtful, satisfying, warm, great design used on modern stores and plazas around here.  This does kinda remind me of that look you see at Oak Hills Country Club, so it is not a new design style, but it could be used in a modern, updated way in suburban Omaha to put-in an unexpected, stylish grocery store and small plaza.  

Omaha has so much potential to create really stylish, sharp sections of town.  Some sections of town are already that way.  I see some of that thought going on here (finally), but not enough of it (in my opinion).
Last edited by RockHarbor on Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 10 times in total.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This Hy-Vee's facade is looking a little different from most I will let you know though.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

iamjacobm wrote:This Hy-Vee's facade is looking a little different from most I will let you know though.
Oh, is it?!  I'm looking forward to seeing it.  Thanks for letting me know.  I guess there are more alterations on Hy-Vee than I'm giving credit for.  I just don't like approaching any/every Hy-Vee, and it looking and feeling the same way.  I'm sure there is a "successful business model", but the potential monotony inserted into the cityscape also has to be considered.  

Also, certain facades and materials create more of a warm, inviting look (that is nice, especially in the winter).  If you were to approach a warm lodge-style building in winter (earth tone colors, shingles, smoking chimney, gables with wooden crossbeams), verses a hard-surface brick, glass, and stucco building, which would you prefer?  See what I mean?  (I'm not focusing on Hy-Vee with that question, just big box retail spaces in general in northern regions.)

Anways, I've made my point here...  Design and cityscape is very important to me.  That's all...
Last edited by RockHarbor on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

RockHarbor wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:This Hy-Vee's facade is looking a little different from most I will let you know though.
Oh, is it?!  I'm looking forward to seeing it.  Thanks for letting me know.  I guess there are more alterations on Hy-Vee than I'm giving credit for.  I just don't like approaching any/every Hy-Vee, and it looking and feeling the same way.  I'm sure there is a "successful business model", but the potential monotony inserted into the cityscape also has to be considered.  

Also, certain facades and materials create more of a warm, inviting look (that is nice, especially in the winter).  If you were to approach a warm lodge-style building in winter (earth tone colors, shingles, smoking chimney, gables with crossbeams), verses a hard-surface brick, glass, and stucco building, which would you prefer?  See what I mean?  

Anways, I've made my point here...  Design and cityscape is very important to me.  That's all...
My bet is it is more for a practical reason than ideological, but this one doesn't have the three slanted step kind of thing going on like most others.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

iamjacobm wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:

Also, certain facades and materials create more of a warm, inviting look (that is nice, especially in the winter).  If you were to approach a warm lodge-style building in winter (earth tone colors, shingles, smoking chimney, gables with crossbeams), verses a hard-surface brick, glass, and stucco building, which would you prefer?  See what I mean?  

My bet is it is more for a practical reason than ideological, but this one doesn't have the three slanted step kind of thing going on like most others.
Yep, I'm sure you're right.  Their design is very practical.  And, again, it does look nice, conservative, and clean.

I'm glad that 132nd doesn't have the "three slanted step thing" goin' on.  I honestly couldn't bare that, that well, seeing that all over Omaha.  That "three step thing" doesn't seem like it should be that dramatic, but it kinda is (in my opinion).
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

The Linden Market Hy-Vee has a very nice appearance, better than the others in town.

We recently drove to Dubuque, IA.  I must have passed 5 or 6 Hy-Vees in Iowa.  Most looked identical to the ones in the Omaha metro.  I could even tell the one in Dubuque was a Hy-Vee as we approached from the back side of the building...they are so easy to spot.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

nativeomahan wrote:The Linden Market Hy-Vee has a very nice appearance, better than the others in town.

We recently drove to Dubuque, IA.  I must have passed 5 or 6 Hy-Vees in Iowa.  Most looked identical to the ones in the Omaha metro.  I could even tell the one in Dubuque was a Hy-Vee as we approached from the back side of the building...they are so easy to spot.
Yes, after all this talk of Hy-Vee store designs today, I drove by the 132nd and Dodge store tonight, and got gas.  I do like the new facade.  It is made of up rectangular, horizontal sections, all fitted together in a pattern that is not symmetrical.  I also stopped for coffee in the new Stony Brook location.  And, I also drove by the 156th and West Maple location, and was reminded that that location has the typical tiered design, yet, has all horizontal, stair-stepping lines making up the exterior -- so, I like that location, too.  So, I spoke a little too quick, I think.  Hy-Vee does alter their designs a bit.  Don't get me wrong; I really like Hy-Vee (and respect them, too, as I think they give food to the ODM in town, along with other grocery stores), and think their stores are modern, friendly, and squeeky-clean.  I think it is mostly the fact that I'm not a fan of the design I posted in the picture.  Those slanted lines, reaching higher with each tier, remind me too much of a dutch colonial roofline, or Wisconsin barn roofline -- or something (I can't quite put my finger on it).  That certain look, repeated on every store in town, would be too much for me.  (But, that's just me.)

I'm wondering if all the Hy-Vee stores are set on having that signature front facade now?  It used to be Hy-Vee, along with stores like Baker's, submitted their facade to the plaza design, if located in a shopping plaza with a design theme.  I think of the Baker's in Deerfield Place, and the nice one located in the warm, inviting, chimney-clad tudor/cottage-style plaza at 156th & Dodge.  But, changing the 132nd & Dodge location shows that the plaza owner must have been willing to let Hy-Vee break the overall design theme of the Linden Market Plaza to suit its signature facade.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I forgot to mention how much I like the green shades projecting off the front of the Hy-Vee at the 132nd & Dodge location.  Very warm and uplifting, I feel...

I would also be glad to see a grocery store plaza in Omaha with these type of architectural accents and building materials (this one is in Knoxville, TN).  It is kind of Italian-influenced a bit, I think.  You see this a bit on the remodeled plazas on West Center Road:  

I think a big grocery store/and or plaza, built in sort of a "brick and ivy" look (I think of it kind of being "St. Louis-esque"), with accenting black windows, and green or maroon or black shades, would be a sharp addition to west Omaha.  There's some of this design here already:  

Again, I feel a future grocery store/pharmacy that was built in sort of a lodge style, with even a smoking stone chimney seen in the winter (because a crackling fire was within, in a stone fireplace, near the coffee business, with rugs and furniture over stained concrete), would be sharp.  I think I've seen that before in another city...  In Nebraska, sometimes the lodge design looks nice with green metal roofs and stone or brick accents (like Mahoney State Park).

Anyways, enough said...
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
jessep28
Planning Board

Re: HyVee Major Overhaul (132 & Dodge)

Post by jessep28 »

Hy-Vee will spend $200,000 to move an air conditioning unit since area neighbors don't like the noise.

West Omaha Hy-Vee vows to move noisy air conditioner that's riled neighbor for years
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Brad
City Council

Re: HyVee Linden Market(132 & Dodge)

Post by Brad »

I noticed today the Linden Market HyVee already gave up on the phone app checkout lanes. I'm not sure how long they had them and never saw anyone use them. Apparently you used a phone app to scan your groceries while you shop and then rolled up to one of these kiosks to bag them when complete.

Chief Station - Closed and Covered with Popcorn
Pizza Station - Closed and Covered with random items for sale
Soup Station - Closed and Covered with random items for sale
Husker Store - Closed and Filled with other times
Salad Bar - Removed during covid and never brought back
Phone App Checkout Stations - Discontinued
Curbside Pickup - Discontinued

I feel like I am forgetting one other thing that's no longer available.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Brad wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:55 pmI feel like I am forgetting one other thing that's no longer available.
Low prices?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

almighty_tuna wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:40 pm
Brad wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:55 pmI feel like I am forgetting one other thing that's no longer available.
Low prices?
LOL!
PWL73316
Library Board

Post by PWL73316 »

Brad wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:55 pm I noticed today the Linden Market HyVee already gave up on the phone app checkout lanes. I'm not sure how long they had them and never saw anyone use them. Apparently you used a phone app to scan your groceries while you shop and then rolled up to one of these kiosks to bag them when complete.

Chief Station - Closed and Covered with Popcorn
Pizza Station - Closed and Covered with random items for sale
Soup Station - Closed and Covered with random items for sale
Husker Store - Closed and Filled with other times
Salad Bar - Removed during covid and never brought back
Phone App Checkout Stations - Discontinued
Curbside Pickup - Discontinued

I feel like I am forgetting one other thing that's no longer available.
The one innovation I would like to see is self-checkout with enough space to operate. If you're going to force me to be my own cashier and bagger, at least give me space to work with. It is not realistic for a shopper with a full cart to use the self-checkout where you don't have enough room to turn around.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

HyVee and Innovation is a match made in heck.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

Once they get the lumber yard and fabric section open then this place will be bangin'! Perhaps they'll add some oil change facilities as well as tux rentals.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

djc311 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:41 pm Once they get the lumber yard and fabric section open then this place will be bangin'! Perhaps they'll add some oil change facilities as well as tux rentals.
HyVee Vape Shops and Tattoo Parlors