Updated Village Pointe tenant list

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

Updated Village Pointe tenant list

Post by eomaha »

I know Ann Taylor Loft wasn't on this list (second location)... and I'm pretty sure Z Gallerie wasn't either. This is kind of a neat store, fairly exclusive as far as locations ... almost along the lines of Crate & Barrel/Restoration Hardware. My wife really liked the one we visited in Phoenix.

Ann Taylor Loft
Archiver's
Bed Bath & Beyond
Cheeseburger In Paradise
Christopher & Banks
Claire's
Coldwater Creek
Cold Stone Creamery
Cost Plus World Market
DSW
Flat Top Grill
Funny Bone Comedy Club
GameStop
Garbo's Salon
Jos. A. Bank
Kona Grill
Mid City Bank
Panchero's Mexican Grill
Periwinkles for Her
Pier 1 Imports
Scheels All Sports
Scooters Java Express
Talbots
Village Pointe Cinema
Wild Oats Natural Marketplace
Yankee Candle
Z Gallerie
LarryDavidSon
New to the Neighborhood

Post by LarryDavidSon »

I hate to burst anyone's bubble about Village Pointe, but here are my problems:

1. NONE of those retailers are impressive or notable with the exception of Kona Grill and Z Gallerie. They are typical "chains" that are expanding nationally and would've come to Omaha regardless-- if they're not already here.

2. You may think RED is some awesome developer, but NEWSFLASH!...they're not. They build weirdo, generic, cookie-cutter suburban stuff. They gained fame as a big box developer in Kansas City and you can tell even when they try for gentler development like Village Point or the one they did in Madison, WI you still get some odd looking environment.

3. If this development is successful, it will have a negative impact on Oak View and Westroads...mark my words. It is not a question of Omaha being "big enough" or whatnot, it is a question of shopping patterns. Look to any city. It will happen in W. Des Moines with Jordan Creek and it has happened in countless other bigger cities when malls are built on the outer edges. Get ready for the inside of Oak View and/or Westroads to start looking like Crossroads.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

You're not bursting any bubbles LarryDavidSon... I respectfully couldn't disagree with you more.

"1. NONE of those retailers are impressive or notable with the exception of Kona Grill and Z Gallerie. They are typical "chains" that are expanding nationally and would've come to Omaha regardless-- if they're not already here."

So what do you want? More UPSCALE typical "chains" ? Obviously our market hasn't been deemed ready yet. They will come in time. I sense some bitterness here. In the meantime... I know ALOT of people who are excited about the new stores/restaurants that ARE coming... AND the new, more convenient locations as well. Now what Wild Oats Market do you suppose the people of Aksarben... or Country Club... are going to drive to? The in the 84th and Dodge area? or all the way out at 168th. Yes... Omaha is growing... new locations of the same offerings is a good thing.

"2. You may think RED is some awesome developer, but NEWSFLASH!...they're not. They build weirdo, generic, cookie-cutter suburban stuff. They gained fame as a big box developer in Kansas City and you can tell even when they try for gentler development like Village Point or the one they did in Madison, WI you still get some odd looking environment"

Would you rather have had another Super Walmart? RED stepped up and built Omaha's first large lifestyle center. They deserve credit for that alone. Big box outparcels aside, which are among the most impressive looking I have seen in Omaha, (the money makers... that is what they're in the business for)... Village Pointe is a very nice development architecturally... there's NOTHING like it in the Omaha metro today. Were you expecting a KC like Plaza? Again... I sense some bitterness here. It's not measuring up to your expectations. Sorry to hear that. Obviously RED is involved (in many cases jointly with a local developer) in many developments... some more strip/big box... than town center. South Pointe in Lincoln is an example of one of the good ones.

"3. If this development is successful, it will have a negative impact on Oak View and Westroads...mark my words. It is not a question of Omaha being "big enough" or whatnot, it is a question of shopping patterns. Look to any city. It will happen in W. Des Moines with Jordan Creek and it has happened in countless other bigger cities when malls are built on the outer edges. Get ready for the inside of Oak View and/or Westroads to start looking like Crossroads."

I heard precisely the same argument when Oakview was built... and guess what... business at Westroads DID suffer. And what happened? They renovated it... added an anchor... added outparcel restaurants... and now it's regained its popularity. Crossroads did the same (what Crossroads are you going to? the ones I was at less than a month ago looked great... they're doing what they need to do... to compete as well)

Omaha is in a TOTALLY different situation than Des Moines. Jordan Creek will indeed cause real turmoil for the metros other malls... because it literally has EVERY retail offering that every other mall has in a single, very appealing location. Omaha's retail is in an entirely different, and desirable situation. Each retail center has it's own unique combinations of offerings and environment. Even Regency Court... with the highly popular Pottery Barn, PB Kids, Kobe, Borsheims, etc... has carved out a niche. As I said... Westroads responded as well. Village Pointe... will never threaten Westroads... it won't have anywhere near the offerings/the anchors/the all weather shopping. But it will offer a totally new shopping experience for Omaha... ANOTHER niche.

All these retail destinations will do just fine... as I'm sure Papillion Promenade will as well. No... the sky is not falling.

And again... say what you want... but the attention to detail in the architecture at Village Pointe... is unlike anything Omaha has had to date. RED is doing a fantastic job.
LarryDavidSon
New to the Neighborhood

Post by LarryDavidSon »

Whoa, need a Valium?

It is a matter of taste if you like Village Point. I personally think it is gaudy and the design is underwhelming.

What I am trying to get across is that there is no point championing some boxy shopping center that's bringing in a bunch of stuff that was on a waiting list to enter Omaha anyway. Have some higher standards than thinking it is fabulous to have a tacky outdoor mall with a Pier 1 and a Cost Plus. Especially because this mall WILL be at the expense of others.

If you want to know the truth, please check out the web site of General Growth properties and you can see the current leasing plans of Oak View and Westroads. The fact is they currently are not even close to being full. In fact there are multiple spots that haven't had a permanent tenant for quite some time. In fact, besides their anchors, Crossroads, Oak View, and Westroads seem to be stuck in 1995 (baby Gap, The Buckle, Gadzooks,etc.) I am not saying they will turn into ghost malls because they ARE nice properties, but Village Point sure as heck won't help them.

My point (and I do have one) is that I would've improved and expanded existing shopping areas rather than build some mediocre thing out there. All these distinct shopping malls that you talk about all over help spread out offerings in a city that really isn't all that big.

When you talk about regional shopping hubs (and Omaha has been one for a long time), part of it is having some density. What is the point of spreading out, when there are inner areas that need revitalization and care? When Jordan Creek opens, you can bet the only people coming to Omaha from Iowa for any shopping will be from Council Bluffs.
sokkerdewd
Home Owners Association

Post by sokkerdewd »

Sorry to resurrect this one, but I read something in my hometown newspaper (Mankato, MN) that threw me for a loop. It made me wonder whether or not Omaha was really on the map for some chains as it's getting these restaurants at the same time a small city such as Mankato (pop. 50,000) is getting them. I really do hope we can attract a "brand-bringer" such as Saks, Nordstrom, etc. to the market to let the other small-store chains know we're for real.

Heck, even Rochester, MN (pop. 100,000) shot down a mixed-use development a couple years ago called "Time Square" that had a Nordstrom anchor. If they can attract one, we can. (Other small cities such as Spokane, WA already have Nords.)

Here's the article from the Mankato paper that mentions some restaurants/retail locating there:

Chipotle open for real today

MANKATO — After handing out free burritos for practice purposes, Chipotle will officially open its restaurant in the University Square Mall today.

The restaurant, which specializes in burritos and other Mexican meals, is the second new business to open in the mall. A Cold Stone Creamery opened earlier and work is underway on a new Noodles & Co. restaurant.

Long lines stretched out the door when Chipotle, which is located across the street from the Minnesota State University Campus, offered free burritos from 5 to 7 p.m. Monday night.
sokkerdewd
sokkerdewd
Home Owners Association

Post by sokkerdewd »

Followup: Anyone know of what's going to go in the former Younker's space at Westroads?
sokkerdewd
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

As for Rochester and Spokane... I have no doubt they benefit being in the shadows of Minneapolis and Seattle.

To some extent... Omaha has benefited from interest from much more distant Kansas City developers as well.
Jon
Home Owners Association

Post by Jon »

In this post and in many others, it's interesting how people's measure of Omaha's standing is in how many national chains we can attract.

I maintain that it would be MUCH MORE VALUABLE to have an environment where small independants could prosper. The development being done today is absolutely targeted to nationals and discounters.

When people come into town, do they start looking around for the closest Chipotles, or Cheeseburger in Paradise, or Chilis if they want dinner? IMO, they look for the restaurants with the local flair, and local specialties - Anthonys, Mr C's, so forth.

Likewise, if I'm in a new town and have free time, I certainly don't make it a point to shop a local "Best Buy". I want the locally owned shops, and the chance to find something I haven't seen before.

In our desire to run with the big dogs, we've taken some huge casualties...
Got Talk?
HeartlandForums.com - Discussion forums for Omaha, Nebraska, and the Heartland.

Your Home On The Web
Homepage Webs
Now featuring a photo hosting package!
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

It's a balance Jon. There are indeed MANY people, residents of Omaha, who appreciate having popular restaurants/retail stores which they've experienced in other cities. Whether you like it or not... that is perceived as a 'quality of life' improvement.

At the same time... I think our local offerings are as strong as ever. I don't see any national chains cited by sources such as the Mobil Guide with regards to fine Omaha dining. Even in west Omaha, the most popular restaurant is the Upstream. Local retailers are thriving as well. I haven't seen anyone going out of business with the arrival of Starbucks... in fact, I've seen more locally owned coffee shops opening than Starbuck's. Another example... Zany Brainy... it's closed down, while a local 'chain' toy store has expanded.

And I assume you were just citing Best Buy as a generic chain example... I'm not aware of anyone who goes shopping for electronics when they visit another city anyway (although I can think of some fine local electronics stores as well).

Omaha has... and will continue to support for its local offerings, and the many new national chains arriving on the scene.
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

About Jordan Creek Town Center---- Of the announced 96 new stores and restaurants coming to the new mall, 50 are new to Des Moines and another 20 are new to Iowa. I don't see the comment that jhuston said as being true that JC has EVERY retail offerening as other malls in the area. There are stores and restaurants going to JC that Omaha doesn't have including Cheesecake Factory, Joe's Crab Shack, JCrew, and Coach to name a few. And there are another 25-40 stores yet to be announced. With Nordstrom looking around Des Moines 4 times in the past year, I wouldn't count them out as the last major anchor in Jordan Creek. The anchor stores in the Des Moines area are very different at all of the malls except for Younkers. Merle Hay has Younkers, Famous Barr (being replaced by another tenant soon), Kohls and Sears. Valley West has Von Maur, Younkers, and JCPenney. Southridge having Sears, JCPenney, Younkers, and Target. These malls have their own niches as well. These malls will protect their investments just like Omaha's malls. Jordan Creek will offer a huge advantage with the lake with a boardwalk, lifestyle center, and mall. This is a $250 Million dollar, 2 Million sq ft project that General Growth is going to make sure will do well. Des Moines has grown well over 150,000 people since the last mall in the metropolitan area was built. They can support another mall. http://www.jordancreek.com
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

Looking over the tenant list. Wow... I didn't realize so many of these stores we take for granted, were first timers in Iowa and Des Moines (ie Yankee Candle, Williams-Sonoma, Sharper Image, etc)... I can only imagine the pent up demand the people of Des Moines and Iowa must have.

I shouldn't have said Jordan Creek 'literally' had every store that every other area mall had. That is of course not true. But the overwhelming drawing power of such a large, centralized location of high demand retailers is undeniable. The pressure on the other area malls with be significant. Hopefully, as has been demanded of Omaha area malls... they will respond with a new unique draw of their own.

At any rate... Jordan Creek is indeed a first rate mall.