Liberty First Credit Union Arena (Ralston Arena)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I agree that it will be a better fit, I think it is going to be interesting to see what happens to the Civic though.  There will be no major tenant there in a building with a declining lifespan as well.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

skinzfan23 wrote:I agree that it will be a better fit, I think it is going to be interesting to see what happens to the Civic though.  There will be no major tenant there in a building with a declining lifespan as well.
Well, its all part of the master plan for the Civic to go bye-bye. So, maybe this will be the last push.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
JPenny
Home Owners Association

Post by JPenny »

this is above ground now with iron going up!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Roof supports are going up.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Is that roof even high enough for the Beef to play football in there?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Does anyone have the plans for this, or know if the same building for the hockey rink could be converted to football or would there be a different building to house football? I thought there were plans posted but do not see it now.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Coyote wrote:Does anyone have the plans for this, or know if the same building for the hockey rink could be converted to football or would there be a different building to house football? I thought there were plans posted but do not see it now.
I don't have the plans, but I currently live in Cedar Rapids, IA and their ice arena is almost identical in size.  Due to the US Cellular Center being renovated, their new team, the Cedar Rapids Titans, who will play in the same league as the Omaha Beef, are planning to play their first season in the ice arena.  So it stands to reason that the Beef would just play in the same part of the arena that the Lancer hockey and UNO basketball will play.  It does seem that the clearance would be an issue for kickoffs or punts.

Here is a picture of the Cedar Rapids arena:
makeitso
New to the Neighborhood

Post by makeitso »

Ice level will be 12' below grade.  It appears there will be about 55' from ice to beam at the center - which is the almost equal to the stated heights at Omaha Civic and MAC.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

New Ralston Arena Making Progress

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/New_ ... 51628.html
www.wowt.com wrote:The beams are up and the future of sports and entertainment look bright in Ralston as the newest arena takes shape in the metro. WOWT Channel 6 News got an exclusive tour inside the arena on Wednesday.

The Ralston Sports & Event Center has been under construction for 6 months, and the progress is evident. The 3,500 seat arena is taking shape not only outside but inside as structures for the seating are starting to get in place. All three areas are being constructed. They include the main arena, office space, and a 2nd ice rink. Mayor Don Groesser says the progress has been great.
www.wowt.com wrote:"I'm talking to retail developers everyday. We have somebody calling us and asking us, what's this piece of ground? What's available here? Do you have a restaurant, do you have a hotel?" Mayor Groesser described.
www.wowt.com wrote:Mayor Groesser says he hopes to get a few hotels here, one of which may be connected to the arena.
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

Brad wrote:Is that roof even high enough for the Beef to play football in there?
I'd be curious to look over that foundation wall, the arena floor is probably sunk into the ground.

(Edit: I see that's been mentioned already)
Life is the sh*t that happens while we wait for moments that never come.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here is a rendering of the setup for UNO basketball:

There is also a video "fly-through" as well:
http://www.omavs.com/sports/2011/10/12/ ... ath=mbball
Last edited by skinzfan23 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Here's a few more:

From the video, it appears the scoreboard you see directly in the middle of image three is a giant video scoreboard. And the thing under the banners on the sides is a marquee.

Looks pretty cool.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That looks Great!

Welcome to the forum OSILayer8Support !
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

It'll be a nice little arena, perfect for Lancers hockey and UNO basketball.  The company who designed it is the same company that designed Scheels Arena in Fargo, and there are definitely some similarities in the two arenas.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fargomoorh ... otostream/
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

BTW, someone mentioned the Beef earlier, has it been confirmed that they will play there?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Bugeater wrote:BTW, someone mentioned the Beef earlier, has it been confirmed that they will play there?
Omaha Beef to Play at New Ralston Arena in 2013
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

Ah, thanks Coyote. I know it seemed like a forgone conclusion but I had yet to see any real announcement regarding the move.
TLGJames
Home Owners Association

Post by TLGJames »

Does anyone know if it is going to be open for ice skating for the rest of the time?
JPenny
Home Owners Association

Post by JPenny »

I think there is a community rink that is connected to the arena that will be open year round but I am not sure about the arena itself being open for skating[/quote]
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

One Ton Steel Beam To Be Raised At New Ralston Arena
To date over 677 tons of iron has been installed, 1,500 cubic yards of footings, 1,314 cubic yards of cast in place walls, 25,141 square feet of slab on grade and 132,000 square feet of parking.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

This is going to be a great little arena for Omaha.  It will really fill a void in the small arena market.  They also have a website up and running http://www.ralstonarena.com.  I can't wait to catch a few games this fall.
where the corn meets the concrete
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Lancers added a bunch of new photos on their facebook page:

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Thanks!

Looking pretty good.
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

I heard Maria's is supposed to operate one of the concession stands at the Ralston arena.  It's another good piece to this project.  A lot of new facilities have pretty average food though I love what Levy does at TD Park.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

twiztid1 wrote:I heard Maria's is supposed to operate one of the concession stands at the Ralston arena.  It's another good piece to this project.  A lot of new facilities have pretty average food though I love what Levy does at TD Park.
I might just buy season tickets to a team there just so I can get Marias tacos during games. Their Marias shell taco is one of the best tacos in the Metro IMO.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

That sounds cool.  I'm looking foward to that small area of land finally filling all in completely between Ralston/La Vista/Papillion and Bellevue.  If you look on an Omaha map, just filling in that area (as well as the area between Ralston/LaVista/Papillion and Sapp Brothers out west) will make such a difference on how big Omaha looks.  And, it really is not that much land to fill-in.  For so long, I-80 passed through the southern side of Omaha, with some stringy areas of development even more south of it (S. 84th St, and Bellevue).  But, with it filling all in all north of the Cornhusker Highway, I-80 would meander through more the center of town, making its way towards downtown -- with downtown (and Council Bluffs across the river from it) sitting slightly more in the northern half of the city (on a north-south standpoint).
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

The arena has selected Pepsi for its non-alcoholic pouring rights.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

twiztid1 wrote:The arena has selected Pepsi for its non-alcoholic pouring rights.
That good news to my ears.  I am moving into the Oaks at Lakeview apartments there and I hope to get to go to a few games this fall.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

twiztid1 wrote:The arena has selected Pepsi for its non-alcoholic pouring rights.
Not surprising, Pepsi has a stranglehold on the state it seems.
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

iamjacobm wrote:
Not surprising, Pepsi has a stranglehold on the state it seems.
Yeah, glad I prefer Pepsi.   According to this article, it doesn't sound like Coke was very aggressive.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120509/N ... -for-arena
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Pepsi sure does seem to be aggressive in this field.  I wonder if they are willing to take bigger hits on the profits because their overall market share is slipping?  Kind of like the American car companies used to do on selling to rental car companies.

Greg
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Omaha has always been a Pepsi town. Especially with the bottling plant.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

jessep28 wrote:Omaha has always been a Pepsi town.
My wife and I noticed this when we moved here two years ago.  After being used to Coke everywhere in Illinois, we got a lot of "Sorry, we only have Pepsi" responses at restaurants here.  I think my wife might actually prefer Diet Pepsi now, lol!
l-dude
Home Owners Association

Post by l-dude »

"Omaha has always been a Pepsi town" ... while this sounds authoritative, is definitely not true.  During my 20 plus years in Omaha (late 50's through early 70's), Coke had as large if not larger presence in town with their bottling plant on north 30th (between Lake or Sprague Sts. ?, close to the old? Kennedy or Druid Hill schools (sorry, I don't know if either school is still in existence, maybe someone "older than dirt" on this forum remembers)...the building was on the west side of 30th (long before there was a North Freeway).  In my day (see the "older than dirt" comment),  Pepsi was not a name I/We were very familiar with, north of the Missouri (State of), Kansas border area.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Coca Cola addict here -- there are a few fast food places around town that are still coke. And some of them have these machines 100+ flavors

http://www.coca-colafreestyle.com/

icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Uffda wrote:Coca Cola addict here -- there are a few fast food places around town that are still coke. And some of them have these machines 100+ flavors

http://www.coca-colafreestyle.com/

They have one of those at Firehouse Subs at Metro Crossing - major pain in the wazus, because you invariably end up with the family of five that takes 10 minutes to decide what flavor everyone is going to have and who's going to share what with who so everyone can try more than one.....
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

icejammer wrote:
They have one of those at Firehouse Subs at Metro Crossing - major pain in the wazus, because you invariably end up with the family of five that takes 10 minutes to decide what flavor everyone is going to have and who's going to share what with who so everyone can try more than one.....
Yeah, that's one thing I don't like about the Coke Freestyle machines. I'm sure Coke makes a lot more money with those things because the syrup concentrate basically comes in ink cartridges, which I bet are proprietary.

I first saw one live at BK a little more than a month ago. I was eating my meal and one of the employees tried reloading one of the cartridges. They were having a heck of a time trying to get the computer to recognize it. It cracked me up seeing a soda fountain machine go all PC LOAD LETTER on them.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum