Liberty First Credit Union Arena (Ralston Arena)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Re: Ralston Arena (72 and Q)

Post by RNcyanide »

Professor Woland wrote:About the only way that thing is going to turn a profit is if they turn it into an all nude strip club that sells booze. No city government is going to do that, for very good reason. As someone mentioned before, an NBA D league team would really help, but I have no idea what chance that has. I would add that this fiasco should serve as a warning to streetcar enthusiasts. It might be the case that a streetcar line would be a net benefit to the city, but claims that it will spur economic development should be carefully examined.
That last claim on the streetcar has resonated with me more lately, to the point where I'm not supportive of it anymore.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Comparing Ralston arena to an urban circulator project in downtown and midtown Omaha?
:koko:

The drivers for success in these respective areas could not be more different.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

cdub wrote:Comparing Ralston arena to an urban circulator project in downtown and midtown Omaha?

I only questioned the reliability of studies suggesting that a streetcar line would be a boon to economic development. The same factors which lead the consultants promoting the arena to claim that the arena would be a money maker might also be prompting the street car supporters to make grandiose claims about the economic impact of the streetcar line. I have my doubts about the streetcar in general, but I didn't address those in the post you are responding to, I made a much more modest claim, one that I think is certainly reasonable.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Professor Woland wrote:
cdub wrote:Comparing Ralston arena to an urban circulator project in downtown and midtown Omaha?

I only questioned the reliability of studies suggesting that a streetcar line would be a boon to economic development. The same factors which lead the consultants promoting the arena to claim that the arena would be a money maker might also be prompting the street car supporters to make grandiose claims about the economic impact of the streetcar line. I have my doubts about the streetcar in general, but I didn't address those in the post you are responding to, I made a much more modest claim, one that I think is certainly reasonable.
The strong economic impact of developing transit, especially committed ones like rail, is proven. The money pits that arenas and stadiums actually are is proven as well.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

iamjacobm wrote:
Professor Woland wrote:
jessep28 wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
Greg S wrote:They really should not limit what types of acts they are booking. Christian, hair bands, 70's, 80's whatever. Just need to book acts that can more than break even.

Greg
Well as long as the Christian events are getting people there, you have to factor in operating costs for these venues.
As Brad stated above, the Christian acts barely break even because they don't sell alcohol.
They also make us look bad to out of staters passing through.
No.

The Christian rock shows do turn a profit:

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/his-job ... cac16.html
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

I knew this was a huge waste of space and money. UNO's area will be the same. Your state tax dollars will be the ONLY thing to keep it running, but the price/cost will be hidden because its a University - it will always make money. HA!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

mcarch wrote:I knew this was a huge waste of space and money. UNO's area will be the same. Your state tax dollars will be the ONLY thing to keep it running, but the price/cost will be hidden because its a University - it will always make money. HA!
You really don't know what the situation here was. Talk out your |expletive| all you want I guess.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

mcarch wrote:I knew this was a huge waste of space and money. UNO's area will be the same. Your state tax dollars will be the ONLY thing to keep it running, but the price/cost will be hidden because its a University - it will always make money. HA!
Yeah... No.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Can you present evidence?
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Baxter Arena taking Victory Fighting away from Ralston is another blow to the struggling facility.

I was surprised, but probably shouldn't have been, by the amount of outward vitriol coming from Ralston about this. It comes off as desperation.

While I agree that cancelling an event a few weeks away and breaking their 2016 contract probably doesn't reflect well on VFC, what do you expect when you have 5 arenas between Omaha, Council Bluffs, and Lincoln all vying for the same entertainment dollar?

It's probably only going to get more nasty from here from a competitive standpoint.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I can definitely see Ralston's point of view on this with 2 events left on the contract.

There is going to be a bit of a blood bath between the arenas. We already had a surplus before Baxter opened.

Is there a metro areas with more arenas and stadiums per capita than the Omaha metro?

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Tulsa.

BOK has 19K
Mabee Center has 10,500
Cox Arena 8900
Reynolds Center 8300
SpiritBank Center 4500
Pavilion 4500
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

iamjacobm wrote:Tulsa.

BOK has 19K
Mabee Center has 10,500
Cox Arena 8900
Reynolds Center 8300
SpiritBank Center 4500
Pavilion 4500
SpiritBank is folding under the pressure. I don't think they are planning on any more events there. That is quite a list but several of these are quite old.

Greg
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

geez that's crazy! I googled it and it just opened up in 2008.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah and all of the ones in our area have opened since 2000. Amazing list.

Here are the ones since 2000, MAC, Clink, DJ Sokol, Ralston, and Baxter. Plus you've got PBA only 50 minutes away.

In addition, we built Morrison, TDA, and Werner Park.

Greg
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Greg S wrote:Yeah and all of the ones in our area have opened since 2000. Amazing list.

Here are the ones since 2000, MAC, Clink, DJ Sokol, Ralston, and Baxter. Plus you've got PBA only 50 minutes away.

In addition, we built Morrison, TDA, and Werner Park.

Greg
And the open air concert area in Papillion by Walnut Creek lake
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

Spirit Bank and Ralston Arena have one thing in common, they did not have professional management companies. Spririt Bank was managed by a bank and they know they should not be in the arena management business. Ralston Arena is basically managed by the mayor and the city wants to be in the arena business.

Venue - Management
MAC - SMG now Ceasars Ent.
CLink - MECA
Baxter - UNO buildt in tenants with Mike Cera formerly of SMG bringing in extra bonus events.
PBA - SMG
Ralston - Curtis Webb (previous ??), Hendrickson (previous Reliant Park, Houston Texans) interim Murtaugh (Ralston Police Chief) Benis (Production Manager at MAC)

Is it true that they hired the Mayors son to be the director of food and beverage, the profit center for most arena's?
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Trips wrote:Spirit Bank and Ralston Arena have one thing in common, they did not have professional management companies. Spririt Bank was managed by a bank and they know they should not be in the arena management business. Ralston Arena is basically managed by the mayor and the city wants to be in the arena business.

Venue - Management
MAC - SMG now Ceasars Ent.
CLink - MECA
Baxter - UNO buildt in tenants with Mike Cera formerly of SMG bringing in extra bonus events.
PBA - SMG
Ralston - Curtis Webb (previous ??), Hendrickson (previous Reliant Park, Houston Texans) interim Murtaugh (Ralston Police Chief) Benis (Production Manager at MAC)

Is it true that they hired the Mayors son to be the director of food and beverage, the profit center for most arena's?
Meca is a quasi public agency with the board appointed. Not exactly professional but run very professionally. Just saying
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The MAC brought in SMG then it went to Caesars. Neither has worked. Ralston runs circles around the MAC as far as usage goes. Ralston's initial manager, Curtis Webb had come from Global Spectrum, the 2nd one worked at Reliant Stadium in Houston.

The difference between those two is that the MAC was funded by the Iowa West Foundation.

Greg
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Burn!
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

I'll have to disagree on the comparison of the MAC and Ralston. The MAC made a huge turnaround after Caesars took over management and stopped hemorrhaging the city's money. Now with the addition of the Field House and Marriott it's only going to get better.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

lisanstan wrote:I'll have to disagree on the comparison of the MAC and Ralston. The MAC made a huge turnaround after Caesars took over management and stopped hemorrhaging the city's money. Now with the addition of the Field House and Marriott it's only going to get better.

As far as the Arena goes I just haven't seen it. Caesars took over management in 2012. You go to their calendar of events on the arena side and it's pretty sparse. They've always had that Kids Explore, the Transiberian Orchestra at Xmas, and then a few others. That seems to be about it.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Greg S wrote:
lisanstan wrote:I'll have to disagree on the comparison of the MAC and Ralston. The MAC made a huge turnaround after Caesars took over management and stopped hemorrhaging the city's money. Now with the addition of the Field House and Marriott it's only going to get better.

As far as the Arena goes I just haven't seen it. Caesars took over management in 2012. You go to their calendar of events on the arena side and it's pretty sparse. They've always had that Kids Explore, the Transiberian Orchestra at Xmas, and then a few others. That seems to be about it.

Greg
Didn't an Indoor Football team play there too? Or did that go the way of the dodo?
No posts exist for this topic
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah they had the Blackhawks who folded.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:Yeah they had the Blackhawks who folded.

Greg
Was it just them or did the league they played in fold?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I can't remember how it played out. I know some of the leagues went away but the teams survived and joined other leagues. I know the Beef have moved some.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Good get for Ralston. The USHL is having the Fall Classic West Division at Ralston Arena. Will be a great 3 days with the 8 western teams, Eastern Conference Team USA, plus 16 Midget Minor teams, along with loads of scouts in town. Will be great for the arena, not to mention hotels and restaurants in the area.

http://www.lancers.com/news_article/sho ... id=1502652
Greg
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

Greg S wrote:

Greg
I have to disagree. It's not easy to book profitable events for arenas of the MAC and Ralston size. It's also not an overnight process to turn around the massive losses incurred since they opened. Caesars uses its considerable clout in the entertainment/hospitality business to help the city stop losing money on the MAC. It's more than just building an arena and they will come.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

We are no longer talking about overnight. Caesars took over in 2012.....

I think that is why you are seeing the big move to youth sports at MAC, they just haven't been able to get any traction with events and concerts.

Greg
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I come to this with different information since I'm on the inside.
Spatial77
Home Owners Association

Post by Spatial77 »

Omaha World Hearld Omaha.com headline: "Ralston Arena bikini boxing event devolves into brawl; police use pepperball guns to disperse unruly crowd"

Now who could have seen this coming?
"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." -- Niels Bohr
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Spatial77 wrote:Omaha World Hearld Omaha.com headline: "Ralston Arena bikini boxing event devolves into brawl; police use pepperball guns to disperse unruly crowd"

Now who could have seen this coming?
Christian Music Festival tonight. Hope they don't need the pepper balls again.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

When Bikini Boxing is advertising the "hottest ring girls and exotic dancers" and "the crunkest even in the midwest" how did they not see this coming?

Was the Lil Boosie concert last year also a Help An Officer call?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

KETV just did a story on the Ralston Arena. I don't see it online yet.

Summary:
In the Black, should finish the year about $110,000.00 to the good
Every weekend booked between now and next June except 4 weekends, and those 4 weekends are the home husker weekends.
Focusing on the correct price point for their arena.

EDIT, STORY NOW UP
http://www.ketv.com/news/ralston-arena- ... k/41569764
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Stan Benis is smart. He's been in the industry for decades. Extremely hard working. I had no doubt that if anyone could put them on the right track it would be him. Good to see that they are showing a turnaround.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Brad wrote:KETV just did a story on the Ralston Arena. I don't see it online yet.

Summary:
Every weekend booked between now and next June except 4 weekends, and those 4 weekends are the home husker weekends.

EDIT, STORY NOW UP

Sounds like they found their niche. Color me very surprised to see this in the black, but that's one less arena in the area losing money. 2 more to go (or is it 3...how's the MAC doing?)
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Brad wrote:KETV just did a story on the Ralston Arena. I don't see it online yet.

Summary:

EDIT, STORY NOW UP

Sounds like they found their niche. Color me very surprised to see this in the black, but that's one less arena in the area losing money. 2 more to go (or is it 3...how's the MAC doing?)
Went to an event there and I have to say that the food prepared by their in house caterer is very good.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Great to hear! I would say that the MAC is probably the only one that isn't a success now that Ralston has gotten things turned around. There is no doubt of the positive impact the CenturyLink Center has had for the city of Omaha and Baxter Arena for UNO. Yes, they aren't going to turn a profit most likely, but they are huge assets to the city and school.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I would agree. I know that they are letting Casesars run the MAC but other than the Shrine Circus and the Trans Siberian Orchestra, I can't think of anything else that really happens there. With the youth facility going up on the site there, they should convert the arena to something like it as well.

Ralston will be hopping all weekend with the USHL preseason tournament going on. They have games continually in both rinks there.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

bigredmed wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

Summary:

EDIT, STORY NOW UP

Went to an event there and I have to say that the food prepared by their in house caterer is very good.
Ralston? Or the MAC?

As for turning a profit; has the MAC? I know Pinnacle and Baxter have yet to do so.

Edit; re-reading the article... is Ralston turning a natural profit? Or are they factoring the money they get from the extra taxes? My reading comprehension this morning is shotty at best I think..