Liberty First Credit Union Arena (Ralston Arena)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

That sign is awful.  Who needs a giant Coors light can looming over them as they go by?  Glad the City could supliment the arena with some MORE ads.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

You technically see a giant CenturyLink ad whenever you pass the Clink downtown.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

The sign looks like an afterthought.

I'm still not impressed with any part of this project. Cities were told to be cautious about building new arenas back when the Qwest Center was being built because it was a trend across the nation to build them and an over-saturation seemed possible. So what we learned from that, apparently, is to not compete with other regional markets, but within our own market. We'll soon have 4 arenas....5 depending on how long the Civic stays open. Why the heck does a market our size need 4 multi-million dollar arenas?
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:The sign looks like an afterthought.

I'm still not impressed with any part of this project. Cities were told to be cautious about building new arenas back when the Qwest Center was being built because it was a trend across the nation to build them and an over-saturation seemed possible. So what we learned from that, apparently, is to not compete with other regional markets, but within our own market. We'll soon have 4 arenas....5 depending on how long the Civic stays open. Why the heck does a market our size need 4 multi-million dollar arenas?
Add in the new Arena that the city of Lincoln is building, and it's a pretty crowded state market. One or more of these arenas will fail like the MAC.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:The sign looks like an afterthought.
Maybe Ralston came in under budget for the $4m in surprise expenses, so they put in a sign.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Ralston Arena brings booming business
KETV wrote:Businesses around the new Ralston arena says they are seeing a boost in sales.

Store managers around 72nd and Q streets said they are surprised by how many more customers have been coming in.

Menard’s, a hotel and an ice cream shop are all being built near the arena.
PobodysNerfect
New to the Neighborhood

Post by PobodysNerfect »

The sound in this place is terrible, thought judging by a lot of other shortfalls, they probably didn't put that much thought into it.

My biggest complaint is about Ralston itself. At least when Lancer games were downtown there were a variety of local restaurants and bars around...here there is what...the Anchor Inn and Ralston Keno for bars and Subway, King Kong, Dairy Queen, and Ragazzi's for food? Good for those businesses but it just feels lacking, the area is kind of crappy.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

PobodysNerfect wrote:The sound in this place is terrible, thought judging by a lot of other shortfalls, they probably didn't put that much thought into it.

My biggest complaint is about Ralston itself. At least when Lancer games were downtown there were a variety of local restaurants and bars around...here there is what...the Anchor Inn and Ralston Keno for bars and Subway, King Kong, Dairy Queen, and Ragazzi's for food? Good for those businesses but it just feels lacking, the area is kind of crappy.
Do you honestly believe that restuarants attract arenas, or the arenas attract restaurants?
PobodysNerfect
New to the Neighborhood

Post by PobodysNerfect »

They don't, but their events do :-P

I have been to many events at the CenturyLink Center. Go to DJ's Dugout on an evening there is a game or concert, go another night. You will see the difference. I am willing to bet if you ask them they will corroborate.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

There's that Cuban cafe on 79th and Harrison.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

PobodysNerfect wrote:They don't, but their events do :-P

I have been to many events at the CenturyLink Center. Go to DJ's Dugout on an evening there is a game or concert, go another night. You will see the difference. I am willing to bet if you ask them they will corroborate.
dJ's built a good 9 or so years after the Clink had been in business.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Made my first trip last night.  The place is ok, thats about it.  The concourse on the one side is pathetically small for a new building. The seating seems to designed for Hockey and our seats were pretty mediocre for basketball watching.  

Go Jacks!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

cdub wrote:The concourse on the one side is pathetically small for a new building.
Just think, It was packed last night and there were only 2600 people there...
Filthy McNasty
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Filthy McNasty »

Brad wrote:
cdub wrote:The concourse on the one side is pathetically small for a new building.
Just think, It was packed last night and there were only 2600 people there...
It's so crowded no one goes there anymore!!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130524/M ... en-village
In Ralston, a proposed 87-room Holiday Inn Express with parking would be located south of the Ralston Arena, said John Mountjoy of CFM Realty.

Mountjoy said his firm's plan, which is subject to final city approval, includes a 6,000-square-foot retail and restaurant space adjacent to the hotel. He said the $8 million hotel is expected to open in May 2014.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Article also says the Legion is staying for now...
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I'm happy that more new motel construction is occurring along the 72nd Street corridor.  Maybe that will lead to a boost to the restaurant scene along what once was called "The Strip".
Coyote
City Council

Re: Ralston Arena (72 and Q)

Post by Coyote »

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Thanks for the update photo...every time I drive by there, I keep thinking I need to take a picture, but I never have my camera.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

KETV reports that the Ralston Arena lost over $4 Mill this year. And will lose UNO soon.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Yikes!!!! Thats a huge deficit for an arena that size.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

In all fairness:
Groesser said the $4 million does not paint an accurate financial picture. First, it includes the depreciation on the building and everything inside, and second, it includes the bond payments on the facility. Even with those set aside, the arena still shows a financial loss of $600,000.

Read more: http://www.ketv.com/news/annual-report- ... z31kd5YFBa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Still not good though....they are going to really have to book some good things because Lancer hockey alone isn't going to pay the bills.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Whatever happened to the NBA D League talk? That would be a nice addition for them.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:Whatever happened to the NBA D League talk?  That would be a nice addition for them.
Don't know, but apparently Lingerie Football must not be bringing in the dough either.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

OWH picks up the same story...

How much money Ralston Arena lost in its first year
Emily Nohr: World-Herald staff writer wrote:The problems include several events that lost the arena money: Video Games Live, Kenny G, Creedence Clearwater Revisited, Martina McBride, Wynonna Judd and Bill O'Reilly.
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

The Lancers had a dark line in their ice their entire first season.  So the floor in the main arena had to be dug up to fix a bad pipe last summer.  That had to hurt the bottom line.

To me it sounds like things are generally in pretty good shape.  They just learned some lessons when it comes to booking acts.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

twiztid1 wrote:
To me it sounds like things are generally in pretty good shape.  They just learned some lessons when it comes to booking acts.
This comment reminds me of the scene on the Titanic when the ship is clearly sinking and the musicians are still standing around playing their instruments. :shock:
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Why should these be excluded? IT is part of the cost of exiting for any business.
skinzfan23 wrote:In all fairness:
Groesser said the $4 million does not paint an accurate financial picture.  First, it includes the depreciation on the building and everything inside, and second, it includes the bond payments on the facility. Even with those set aside, the arena still shows a financial loss of $600,000.

Read more: http://www.ketv.com/news/annual-report- ... z31kd5YFBa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Still not good though....they are going to really have to book some good things because Lancer hockey alone isn't going to pay the bills.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ralston Arena is looking for a new tenant; NDBL team from Milwaukee?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I remember they almost had one at their opening, then supposedly announced it too soon and scared the team away. I think it was going to be for Denver.

Did the roller derby thing move back to CB?

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I will be so happy after tomorrow when Firehouse finally plays at the Ralston Arena, they have been playing radio ads ad naseum on many stations and charging only $20 for the show. They must be losing money on this concert, I can't see how they are spending so much on advertisement...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:I will be so happy after tomorrow when Firehouse finally plays at the Ralston Arena, they have been playing radio ads ad naseum on many stations and charging only $20 for the show. They must be losing money on this concert, I can't see how they are spending so much on advertisement...
Don't forget the free parking.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I thought about going, but I am heading to Lincoln for the Doobie Brothers and Boston!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Ralston Arena still losing money, but city officials work to stem red ink, aim to break even in 2016
The arena posted an operating loss of nearly $300,000 in 2013-14, and Ralston officials are hoping they can get the 2½-year-old, 4,400-seat arena to break even next year.
In its third year, the arena is finally coming into its own, Groesser said. The arena, located near 72nd and Q Streets, is hosting more events: 141 events have deposits down already for this year, compared with the 165 booked all of last year.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Might be a tough year for them. They are losing UNO basketball and more hockey rinks to compete with (UNO's practice sheet and Grover Street Ice).

Greg
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Yeah I've never understood why this arena needed to be built.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

RNcyanide wrote:Yeah I've never understood why this arena needed to be built.
165 events booked last year and 141 so far this year, I would say there is a need for this sized arena. I think once they quite trying to book Bill Clinton and Bill O'Riley, they will do fine. I am sure they can make up for UNO's 15 games a year with a few more hair bands and what not. The guy that's running it now came from the CenturyLink Center. I am sure he is better than the Mayor's brother or whoever they picked to run it in the first place.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

They are still the perfect size for the Lancers, which is their main tenant. Plus it does sound like there is a very large demand for ice, so I think that aspect of it is ok. The problem is they aren't getting enough shows or concerts.

Either way, arenas rarely make a ton of money. They are a lot like parks. They take funding from the public and in return provide an amenity to the community. Granted most parks don't charge to attend like an arena has to.
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

For the same reason any arena or baseball stadium in the metro needed to be built. None of them needed to be built. But each entity whether it's a team, city, university, or county wants to have their own venue. Metro Omaha is big enough that it has the fortune (or maybe misfortune at times) to have several entities that can build their own facilities. The venues take events from each other, but they probably increase the metro's entertainment options overall.