Library Board

Cafeino’s Bakery Café - 3424 W. Broadway

Post by bargainhunter »

http://southwestiowanews.com/articles/2 ... 037840.txt
Czech-style kolaches on menu at Cafeino’s Bakery Café

By TIM ROHWER, Staff Writer
timothy.rohwer@nonpareilonline.com
Published: Tuesday, July 6, 2010 10:36 AM CDT
Ever been to the European city of Prague?

One gets that feeling when entering Cafeino’s Bakery Café, 3424 W. Broadway. Murals of Prague’s historic buildings by Omaha-artist Richard Harrison gracefully adorn the walls of the newly opened breakfast and lunch deli.

There’s another reason why Prague was chosen as the focus city besides its beauty. Cafeino’s Bakery Café features traditional kolaches, an authentic Czech sweet roll that has a variety of fillings, even meat and cheese.

So serious in creating the best possible kolaches, owner Tim Nelson and his son spent two weeks last July learning from an expert chef in Texas, where kolaches are a big thing.

“We studied with him and he showed us the authentic preparations,” Nelson said.

The kolaches come with fillings like apricot, blueberry, cherry, lemon, peach, raspberry and strawberry and the list goes on.

“The metro area will know about it (kolaches) from us,” said Dee Larsen, manager.

Cafeino’s also serves up cinnamon rolls and twists, lemon bars, zebra brownies, peppermint pinwheels and more. For lunch, Rueben sandwiches are on the menu, along with Philly cheese steak, Cajun chicken, turkey and pastrami, barbeque pulled pork, grilled cheese, turkey and Swiss, club, tuna sandwiches and much more.

Then, there’s the coffee.

Patrons can choose from cappuccino, Americano, mochas, lattes, the flavor of the day, or the special house secret blend that is quite popular.

“Only I know what is it,” Larsen said with smile.

Cafeino’s opened on May 26 in a building that once housed a credit union and an equipment rental business. There are nine tables seating up to 24 with room to expand. There is also a meeting room that sits up to 12 featuring a large screen television and Internet access. Free wi-fi is available.

Cafeino’s is open from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Sundays. However, on July 12, the hours will be extended until 7 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays for a dinner menu.

“We’ll have daily dinner specials,” Larsen said, adding that the café will open 30 minutes later on those days.

“It’s a real relaxing place,” Nelson said. “We’ve had customers say it’s like a mini-vacation.”
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Bake THIS !!

Post by ricko »

This guy went all the way to Texas for 2 weeks to learn how to make kolaches?  Heck, I could have hooked him up with a dozen South Omaha babushkas who would have shown him how to make k-bombs and everything else-----for a case of Schlitz.  What a dupa !
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

as i was reading, i kind of chuckled that he went to Texas instead of Europe.  But I'll still try it out; my wife is Czech and her aunt makes awesome kolaches.  

They'll have tough competition with the Bohemian Cafe being a few minutes away.
Go Cubs Go