Council Bluffs Public Arts Plan

Including Iowa metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Well somebody has to..... I think it looks ridiculous.  I have driven up by it and it gets worse the closer you get.  I like a lot of art and a lot of public art.  The stuff by the Qwest  4*.  Swiss Cheeze Man  1.5* at best.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote: Swiss Cheeze Man  1.5* at best.
Funny, that's what my step mom called it at the hockey game last night.  I didn't think it was that bad.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Iowa West gets into art of listening
The newest way to enjoy Council Bluffs public art is great – it’s a clear call.

The Iowa West Foundation not only offers cell phone art tours allowing residents and visitors to view public art, but also recently expanded it to offer more sights.

“You can access that from anywhere,” said Jerry Mathiasen, the foundation’s vice president.

By dialing just one number – (712) 212-9088 – and then pressing a particular code number, callers will be able to hear a brief background on selected art pieces, as well as listen to the artists explain what they were trying to express in their work. In many cases, an art critic will offer an opinion on that particular piece of art. . . .

Few communities, large or small, have yet to undertake this kind of project, he added.

“We’re one of the first. It’s fairly progressive.”

“It’s great for the public,” said Kathy Fiscus, director of special projects for the Council Bluffs Convention & Visitor’s Bureau. “When you view art, you want to learn about it from the perspective of the artist. It offers their inspiration behind the piece. It’s an up-close and personal look and a great way of getting around the community and seeing the art.” . . .
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

New artistic bike racks may be coming to Council Bluffs
New public art ideas keep moving forward in Council Bluffs.

The city’s Public Art Commission Wednesday gave its approval to pursue possible installation of artistic bike racks, called “art racks.” . . .
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan