Need help identifying an old restaurant

Including Iowa metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Need help identifying an old restaurant

Post by Bosco55David »

I'm trying to find out information about an old restaurant in Council Bluffs. This restaurant was located around the area where West Kanesville and West Broadway split. It was located across the Broadway side, because I could always see it when my parents drove down W. Kanesville to go to my Grandfather's house. I never ate at this restaurant, and in fact it may have already closed by early to mid 1990's when I started noticing it.

This restaurant had a very distinctive building shape that included a cylindrical feature that looked like a combination of a barn or agricultural silo that protruded above the rest of the structure. I think the entire building had a somewhat circular design but the faux-silo was very obvious.

Just curious if anyone knows the name of this old place and if the building is still there.

Thanks!
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

I know which restaurant you're talking about, it was Barn'rds.  Used to be a chain, but most of them have closed.  Not sure how many remain.

A tanning salon is at that location now, but the building is long-gone.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Barn'rds was an Arby's like Roast Beef place.  Opened in the mid to late 1980's in that location.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Thanks guys. Does anyone happen to know more specifically where this building was, just for curiosity sake?
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

623 West Broadway.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Thanks. It appears that the building was torn down in 2003 or 2004.
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

IIRC, Barn'rds was started by a former Arby's franchisee, who got frustrated when Arby's changed the type of roast beef they sold.  It was a Council Bluffs-based chain of a few.  i believe it morphed into what is today Lansky's.  The building asked about above - I think - was a bus station in an earlier life (or maybe it was just on that property).
Zodeseeker
New to the Neighborhood

Re: Need help identifying an old restaurant

Post by Zodeseeker »

There is one in Wichita KS.