Metro Crossing: I-80 and I-29 (east)

Including Iowa metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

agerlt
New to the Neighborhood

Post by agerlt »

The MoB location isn't that large - it needs some larger aisles.  It gets pretty crowded in there.  Hopefully Super Target will give Wal-Mart a run for their money.  It would likely spur even more development.  

Any word on restaurants going in Metro Crossing?  My parents are holding out hope for Outback Steakhouse.
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

The Kimco Realty website has Holiday Inn, Rue 21, Shoe Carnival and Dress Barn on the map for the center.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

I see the Kimco site also shows Bank of Omaha.  So, to sum up, it appears the following are pretty much for sure:
  • Kohl’s (already open)
    Hobby Lobby (under construction)
    Petsmart
    Office Depot
    Famous Footwear
    Bed, Bath & Beyond
    Lane Bryant-Cacique (construction start this month)
    Target (Super or otherwise)
    Holiday Inn
    Rue 21
    Shoe Carnival
    Dress Barn
    Bank of Omaha
It also appears Maurice's is a pretty good bet to be opening a store here as well (another MOTB transfer).
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Hobby Lobby construction has gone vertical - walls started going up yesterday, the entire north wall appears up and the east and west walls are starting to go up.  Will be nice to see more stores getting open down there.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

Kimco Realty now lists GoodTime Burgers as a tennant in negotiation.
jhbenson
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jhbenson »

Any news on what else is coming in to Metro Crossing?  I heard something about a Buffalo Wild Wings, but can't find anything that makes it official.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Bluffs has business boom
Council Bluffs got a major boost, shopping wise, this past March when it was announced that a new development that would eventually be called "Metro Crossing" would be built; but there was more to come. . .

The first store to be built on the former cornfield was a 67,500-square-foot Kohl's "innovation" store.  . . .

Going up next to Kohl's is a 54,902-square-foot Hobby Lobby store.

"We're looking at about the middle of March, but we won't know the actual opening date for another 30 days," said Scott Nelson, vice president of real estate at Hobby Lobby corporate headquarters in Oklahoma City, Okla.

Another anchor store at Metro Crossing is PetSmart, which will be 20,707 square feet. . . .

Wal-Mart will receive some close competition when Target opens up a new 128,474-square-foot store at Metro Crossing . . .

Office Depot has been granted a permit to build a 20,996-square-foot store on the development, as well.

Among the other stores planned for Metro Crossing is a 5,000-square-foot Lane Bryant. . .

"It will be an August 2008 store for us," said Gayle Coolick, director of investor relations.

Bed Bath and Beyond, Dress Barn, Maurices and Famous Footwear will all have stores at Metro Crossing.  . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

The Kimco Realty website now lists Maurice's and Dollar Tree as in negotiation.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Maurice's I heard about a couple months ago, but what's Dollar Tree???

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Does anyone actually go to a dollar store?
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

i go in there when i want to feel good about the goodwill :;):  In all seriousness, I've only gone in there when i need to kill time in both cases.  A dollar store does not at all fit the surrounding stores, or the image they are trying to convey.  I think metro crossing isn't going to end up looking as nice at the marketplace, though.  Their sign isn't as classy and some of the design elements are lacking from what everyone is able to see.  Not as much stone, the text on the signs and buildings do not look as fancy.  For it being so near to the wealthier part of town and the marketplace being more near to a less financially prevalent part, i keep thinking the design elements would almost be flip-flopped.  I hope that they do some great things with their landscaping to help out the overall feel.
Go Cubs Go
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

The second store at Metro Crossing to open...and construction is coming right along on several other stores.

Hobby Lobby opens its doors
Hobby Lobby quietly opened its first store in Council Bluffs on Monday, a 44,000-square-foot shop at 3512 Metro Drive. It hasn't been quiet since then, said manager Ben Waldschmidt. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

yeah, it was pretty busy when we were in there; all the old ladies were out in full force.  If you plan on checking it out, they are closed on Sundays, FYI.
Go Cubs Go
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

If you plan on checking it out, they are closed on Sundays, FYI.
Yeah, apparently they are a very Christian company. There's a page on their web-site showing what sorts of things they do in the name of Christianity.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Yes they are.  All stores are closed on Sundays, which I can respect.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Isn't Chic-fil-a (sp) the same way?
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Yes. Thanks Tuna, now I want a number one combo and a side of nuggets. :)
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

:lol:

Time to get some rappelling gear and jump through the dome at Mutual!
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Lane Bryant nears launch at Metro Crossing
A new Lane Bryant store will open July 28 next to Kohl's at Metro Crossing. A grand opening is planned for Aug. 1.
The women's clothing store, which specializes in plus-size garments, will help fill a void in Council Bluffs, said Cindy Van Cleave, full-time sales leader. . . .
Looks like Bed, Bath and Beyond isn't far behind.  Work on the new Target store has already started as well.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Bed, Bath & Beyond to open soon
Bed, Bath & Beyond is ready to snuggle in at Metro Crossing.

The retail chain is poised to open a 20,000-square-foot store sometime during the first two weeks of August, a spokeswoman said Wednesday.

BB&B will occupy the space next to Lane Bryant at the shopping center just west of the intersection of Interstate 29 and Highway 275/92. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Ribbons fly Friday at Metro Crossing
Two ribbon cuttings will be held at Metro Crossing Friday.

The first will be at 8:30 a.m. at the new First National Bank branch at 3815 Denmark Drive. The second will follow at 9 a.m. at Lane Bryant next to Kohl's. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

I'm having trouble remembering which restaurants are opening up here and at the marketplace...anyone know right off what is going where again?
Go Cubs Go
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Bed, Bath & Beyond now open for business
. . . The retail chain opened a new, 20,000-square-foot store Tuesday at Metro Crossing. The store is located at 3706 Metro Drive next to Lane Bryant at the shopping center near Interstate 29 and Highway 275/92. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
Jason4225
Home Owners Association

Post by Jason4225 »

I drive by there every day. I'll try to remember to take some pictures tomorrow.

Even though I've moved to Omaha from CB, I still work there and am very interested in their development. I will trey to update some of the CB threads with pics soon.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks! That would be great Jason.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

New First National branch shows bank's pioneering spirit
First National Bank of Omaha's new Council Bluffs branch carries the bank's pioneering spirit.

The full-service branch, which opened Aug. 1 at 3815 Denmark Ave. in Metro Crossing, is First National's 26th in the metro area, said Dan O'Neill, president of holding company First National of Nebraska. . .

The branch has several advanced features found only at the bank's newest locations. The 7,400-square-foot facility, which employees 13, is one of only four First National branches that contains a children's playroom and one of only two that uses an iris scan to control access to safe deposit boxes, according to Kevin Langin, director of public relations. It is also one of only two that features a large, oversize glass wall with the First National logo and native prairie grasses. The branch also offers Wi-Fi capability, a dedicated small business center, a "super ATM" machine that scans checks and prints their images on the receipt, a concierge and a complimentary ScootersTM gourmet coffee bar. The branch delivers both lobby and drive-thru services and has the ability to issue Visa Check Cards instantly. . . .

Iowa's restrictive banking laws kept FNBO out, O'Neill said.

"We legally could not open a branch in Council Bluffs," he said. "After July 1, 2004, the laws changed, and the state said you can put a bank anywhere in Iowa, but first you have to own a bank in Iowa - you have to be chartered in Iowa."

In July 2007, First National made an agreement to purchase Mills County Bank, which had branches in Glenwood and Silver City. The bank's name was changed in February of this year, and the deal was closed in June. In early July, First National opened a branch in Des Moines. "Now, we have a bank in Iowa that allows us to go anywhere in Iowa," O'Neill said. . . .

"We're just getting started," O'Neill said. "Our plan over the next five years is to open up more branchs in Council Bluffs. We will probably end up having three or four branches in Council Bluffs in the next five years. We don't intend that to be our only branch." . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Several other businesses have opened at Metro Crossing in the last week, including Famous Footwear, Dress Barn and Rue 21.  Construction on the new Target building is coming along nicely, shell construction is mostly complete.

--William Jennings Bryan
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

I noticed the fountains are in the lake now.  It looks like they are starting to build next to the lake also.  I heard it was a restaurant with outdoor dining.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

I think there will eventually be several restaurants around the lake.  Should be really nice when everything is in place down there.

--William Jennings Bryan
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

EastCB wrote:I noticed the fountains are in the lake now.  It looks like they are starting to build next to the lake also.  I heard it was a restaurant with outdoor dining.
Does anyone know which restaurants are coming??

It does look like they are starting to build.  There are stakes out and dirt work is being done.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

bargainhunter wrote:Does anyone know which restaurants are coming??
So far, officially, I've only heard one restaurant, probably mentioned on the previous page of the thread

--William Jennings Bryan
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

The developer's website has Buffalo Wild Wings next to the lake.
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

Are you kidding?  Nothing against BWW (ok, well a little), but what happened to "upscale" restaurants coming to Metro Crossing?  Wouldn't it be nice to get some restaurants that aren't already in the metro area?  The potential of a restaurant with a lake view patio seems to be wasted with a BWW.  Has anyone been to Jordan Creek in West Des Moines?  They have a great set up there with Joe's Crab Shack, On the Border,  Bravo! Cucina Italiana, Flemings......
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

BWW looks to be the only building that will look directly out on the water feature.  There are still nearly a dozen other pad sites suitable for restaurants.  I imagine that this is not the best of times to be trying to woo a new restaurant to build.

Looks like Kimco is showing several other new tenants - Radio Shack, Christopher & Banks, and Sherwin Williams - as well.  No sign of Dollar Tree anymore.  :)

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

PetSmart to open gates in March
A Council Bluffs PetSmart is coming in March, a company official said Monday.

The 20,000-square-foot store is under construction at Metro Crossing near the Interstate 29/Highway 92 interchange.

Preliminary plans call for a soft opening on March 23 and a grand opening on March 28, said Tracy Conrad of PetSmart.

The store will offer a broad range of pet food and other pet products, as well as pet training classes, a pet grooming salon and a pet adoption center, she said. It is not slated to get a PetsHotel. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

I guess this make it just that much more official...

Buffalo Wild Wings coming
Buffalo Wild Wings Grill & Bar, one of the nation's fastest growing restaurant chains, has plans to open a location at Metro Crossing Shopping Center in Council Bluffs, the developer said.

"It is in for a permit," said Mark Andersen.

The restaurant plans to move into a building now under construction out toward the center's lake, Andersen said. The south end of the building would feature a patio looking out toward the water feature, he added. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Updste:

Here is the new FNB people have been talking about with its cool new look

Other buildings:

thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Brad: i don't know if you've seen that FNB at night or not, but the lights are pretty neat.  You should see about checking it out; they go from a blue, to green, to a kind of fuchsia.
Go Cubs Go
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Thanks for all the photos Brad... but you should have snapped one of the 24th Street bridge on your way there/back... it's our little piece of Des Moines' I-35... right here in River City.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:Thanks for all the photos Brad... but you should have snapped one of the 24th Street bridge on your way there/back... it's our little piece of Des Moines' I-35... right here in River City.
I could have easily when I left Bass Pro... I don't know why I didn't.