Metro Crossing: I-80 and I-29 (east)

Including Iowa metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Omababe wrote:Will Mall Of The Bluffs go the way of Midlands Mall?
I doubt that will happen anytime soon...MOTB has a lot better traffic and demographics than Midlands Mall ever did, but the two new shopping centers are going to impact the mall, for sure.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Where is most of CB's new residential development taking place?  I guess I thought most of it was on the east side of the bluffs.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
skibum21
New to the Neighborhood

Post by skibum21 »

I've got a friend who is a manager at Target in Omaha.  She said that there is going to be a new target in CB.  I've also heard Sears will be building a new store in CB too, but another friend who is a manager at a Sears hasn't heard anything about it.  A relative of mine was also told that Shopko would replace Penney's at the mall.  This came from an employee at that store.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Shopko could carve out a pretty decent niche for itself in backfilling JC Penny's departure... not to speak of occupying the Saddlecreek void left by Target... if they'd ever consider that.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Where is most of CB's new residential development taking place?  I guess I thought most of it was on the east side of the bluffs.
Yes, definitely the large majority of the new residential is on the east side.
I've got a friend who is a manager at Target in Omaha.  She said that there is going to be a new target in CB.  I've also heard Sears will be building a new store in CB too, but another friend who is a manager at a Sears hasn't heard anything about it.  A relative of mine was also told that Shopko would replace Penney's at the mall.
Some rumors place a new Target on Broadway at the old Omaha Standard location.  So far though, that site has gone nowhere.  I doubt Sears is looking to move.  Shopko is a possibility at MOTB, although I would think the JCP site would be kind of small.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

I'd bet on a Steve & Barry's at the JCPenney location.  The only other two possibilities for a discount super store at Metro Crossing is Super Target or Sears Grand (I would assume Wal*Mart would stay in its current location).  The signs that went up have a big square...which seems to indicate Super Target to me...  :)
Omababe
Planning Board

Re: Skeeter Barnes

Post by Omababe »

skibum21 wrote:The reason that JC Penney's is leaving is that the store is WAY too small and they can't offer selection or even departments that the other stores have.  I've never smelt SB's while shopping in the store.
NOW I finally figured out what you mean by Skeeter Barnes. :)

I don't get to that mall very often, but I do remember the aroma from in the mall passage itself, and not in the JCP store.

However, it is one of the smaller JCP stores around, so they are probably looking to expand.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

And now back on "target" with discussion back on Metro Crossing...

Developers mum on possibility of a SuperTarget
Speculation continues that Target plans to build a superstore at the new Metro Crossing Shopping Center, though developers aren't yet saying.
During the Council Bluffs City Council study session Monday afternoon, Lynne Branigan asked the shopping center's developers if indeed that store would be a SuperTarget.

"We're not at liberty to say," said Leo Martin, attorney for developer Mark Andersen.

After the study session, Andersen said an announcement on the retailer planning to build at Metro Crossing would come in a few weeks, perhaps as soon as within a few days. . .

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Nothing on the 130,000+ sq. ft. pad next to Kohl's, but 3 more stores appear to be coming...

Building permit applications reveal new shops
The latest list of building permit applications has come out, and it looks like Council Bluffs will continue toward its expansion goals as several new businesses have filed applications.

Craft enthusiasts will no longer have to go over to Omaha to find the nearest Hobby Lobby. There will be a new 54,902-square-foot store at Metro Crossing off of Interstate 29 by early 2008.

"We've signed a lease, and construction will begin in the next 30 days; and it will take approximately six months to complete the building," said Scott Nelson, vice president of real estate at Hobby Lobby corporate headquarters in Oklahoma City, Okla. . .

Famous Footwear has filed a building permit application for a 7,347-square-foot store in Metro Crossing. A manager at the Famous Footwear in the Mall of the Bluffs said it hasn't been confirmed in writing that there will be a new store, but she's heard that it will be open in June.

The manager also said she hasn't heard anything about the store in the mall closing. . . .

Also on the list is Office Depot. Officials for the office supply store have applied for a permit to build a 20,996-square-foot store in the Metro Crossing complex. . . .

Woellhof said Metro Crossing would include 21,800 square feet of "little shops."

It is yet to be determined what those "little shops" will be.

--William Jennings Bryan
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Looks like Kohl's will be opening on Oct 3

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10130777

Kohl's Department Store will hold the grand opening for its new Council Bluffs store on Oct. 3, the store announced Wednesday.

The store is part of the Metro Crossing Shopping Center development near Interstate 29 and Highway 275. Kohl's officials said they expect the store to employ 130 people.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

That will be nice to have a Kohls that close to where I live.
DTO
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Are you thinking of the Marketplace development (I frequently mix up the two)... otherwise, I think you'd find it easier taking the #1 or #2 to 72nd... which might even be easier for you compared to a Marketplace location. :)
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Looks like construction on the "strip" on the ground north of Kohl's will begin shortly.  And this in today's paper...
Daily Nonpareil wrote:The rumor has been spreading rapidly that Holiday Inn Express and Petco are coming into Metro Crossing just off Interstate 29 in Council Bluffs.

"Not accurate," said Mark Anderson, developer of Metro Crossing.

Though Anderson would not confirm rumors of those stores, he did say that an announcement would be made early next week, regarding new stores in the shopping center. . .

--William Jennings Bryan
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

The developer's website (Kimco) lists Petsmart as a tenant.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

EastCB wrote:The developer's website (Kimco) lists Petsmart as a tenant.
Well then obviously the Petco rumor is false if they have a petsmart there. :;):
xxtyderxx
New to the Neighborhood

Post by xxtyderxx »

I went to Kohl's today and it is pretty nice. A little nicer than the Kohl's on 72nd.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Add Bed, Bath & Beyond to the tenant list...

Metro Crossing gaining stores

--William Jennings Bryan
xxtyderxx
New to the Neighborhood

Post by xxtyderxx »

icejammer wrote:Add Bed, Bath & Beyond to the tenant list...

Metro Crossing gaining stores
On the banner there, there was also a Lane Bryant.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Thanks for the tip, xxtyderxx, I've been avoiding that area with all the road construction lately, looks like that's pretty well wrapped up now.  Saw the Kohl's parking lot was probably half-full before 8 this morning for the grand opening.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Lane Bryant-Cacique store coming to Metro Crossing
. . . Gayle Coolick, a spokeswoman for Pennsylvania-based parent company Charming Shoppes Inc. confirmed that a Lane Bryant-Cacique side-by-side store will open in the new shopping center.

Construction will start in December, with a goal of opening in February 2008, Coolick said. "All indications are that we are on schedule at this point." . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Kohl's opens in Council Bluffs
Its slogan is "Expect Great Things," and from the looks of things at the grand opening on Wednesday, Council Bluffs' new Kohl's store is a great addition to the city.

Nationwide on Wednesday, Kohl's celebrated the grand opening of 80 new stores - the biggest one-day grand opening in the firm's history.

"We're a $15 billion company today, and in five years we plan to be a $30 billion company," said Scott Avery, Kohl's district manager based in Des Moines.

Avery called the Council Bluffs store an "innovation store," different from the company's other stores in that the store has "state-of-the-art" features.

Some of the Council Bluffs store's features include more windows, a speaker on the outside, "centralized fitting rooms" in the Junior's and Misses' departments, laminate flooring in the break room, and marble on the outside and in the "family bathroom," which includes a miniature toilet for the kids. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

A view of the Metro Crossing layout from atop the Vincent Bluff (sorry, it was hazy the day I was up there):

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

And the long-rumored Target and PetSmart are finally confirmed...

Metro Crossing hits bulls eye
Rumored for months, Target Corp. made it official in announcing they are building a store at one of Council Bluffs' newest shopping centers.

Target plans to build a 133,000-square-foot store at Metro Crossing, located off of Interstate 29. In comparison, the Target store at Mall of the Bluffs is 95,503 square feet.

In addition to Target, PetSmart will also be one of the new anchor stores at the shopping center. PetSmart will open in the summer of 2008.

Target is set to open their new store at Metro Crossing in 2009. Managers at the Target store at Mall of Bluffs said they could not discuss whether that store will remain open. . .

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Target confirms plans to leave Mall of the Bluffs
Target will leave Mall of the Bluffs in Council Bluffs, a spokeswoman for the mall's owner confirmed Tuesday. . . .

Lesley Cheers, public relations director for General Growth Properties Inc., which owns Mall of the Bluffs, said she didn't know when Target planned to leave. She referred all questions to Target's corporate offices, where representatives have declined to comment.

"While we're disappointed Target is leaving Mall of the Bluffs, we see an opportunity with this vacant space to continue providing only the best in retail and entertainment," Cheers said. "We are in talks with retailers every day, but at this time we have no names to talk publicly about yet." . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

What the heck is MoB going to do now ?

Recruit a mega church?

Shows you how little I know about Council Bluffs... I thought all the new development was still out in the direction of MoB.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Well, MotB has their work cut out for them, that's for sure.  Certainly the ShopKo rumors will swirl stronger.  MotB may pursue K-Mart too, as the City has been planning an extension of Valley View Drive to connect with Hwy 191 (or used to be Hwy 191), which would skirt K-Mart's current location, but makes for a difficult alignment - if K-Mart were gone, that would help the City's road project significantly.

As far as growth patterns, certainly the majority of new housing in the past decade is more conveniently served by MotB than either new shopping center.  With Google coming in though, I would expect to see existing developments just off South Omaha Bridge Road to see a jump in activity compared to more easterly developments, especially if expansion comes to fruition, which would be a boon to the new shopping centers.  Realize too that the new shopping centers are meant to attract more from east Omaha than MotB currently does (which is fairly significant); also realize that a lot of people in SW Iowa who are loathe to driving in Omaha come to MotB rather than shop in their home town or Omaha, so it's not just a CB-growth thing driving these new centers.

Nothing new in the Nonpareil's story today: Target leaving Mall of the Bluffs

--William Jennings Bryan
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

I know some people that are on the better business bureau, and work with the city council and i was told that the Olive Garden was supposedly signed on as one of the restaurant tenants.  Also, i was told that there are some local gas companies (Aquila, midamerican) potentially looking at the target location in the Mall of the Bluffs.  I'm not sure if these are just ideas being presented to the city or what (i hope that the latter isn't in fact true; that is part of the reason the original mall died out, and is now almost exclusively private offices), but they are some of the things i was told.  I asked my "sources" to find out any info for me on playland, MAC, and what may be going in by Penney's, that isn't already announced.  I'll let you all know when i can!
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Thanks thenewguy, any info is appreciated!  There are several rumors making the rounds on the Target spot, some retail, some not.  Not sure which (if any) to believe, but we'll see soon enough I believe.

--William Jennings Bryan
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

thenewguy wrote:i was told that there are some local gas companies (Aquila, midamerican) potentially looking at the target location in the Mall of the Bluffs.
Jeez, MoB may become another Southroads ... or another Midlands Mall, huh? :(
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Yeah, it could be headed that way.  For a while there, the MotB wasn't doing too bad after they opened up B&N, but since then there are several tenants that have vacated (AE, the Gap, Walden books, and a couple of other, crappier, places).  The ones that are there have done some nice renovating, but there are some really low quality places that have survived, and even popped up.  There is a Hamilton College site in the mall, an all women's gym that is geared (so i'm told) towards middle to upper aged folks.  I'm not agains that one, but those are usually in free standing buildings or strip malls, not THE mall (as we call it here in CB).  Throw in a huge aquila office or midamerican office, and yes, you've got another midlands mall :(  (....which was actually a pretty cool set up, btw).  In a little brighter news (and i dont know if i mentioned it), they are trying to get Shopko to sign on as a tenant.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Back on track, construction on the Hobby Lobby is underway with the floor slab in place...

After a fresh pour of concrete Friday morning, a worker smoothes the wet surface that will be the base for a new Hobby Lobby store within the Metro Crossing shopping center.

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

formeromahan wrote:Anybody been by here lately? or have any recent pics of the center? Just was wondering how it was progressing.
I thought there was more than Kohls?:

thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Brad, i have to say, you were a busy one this morning at 4 am!!
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Brad wrote:I thought there was more than Kohls?
Eventually, yes.  As you might have seen, work is progressing on the Hobby Lobby site, the Super Target site prep work is all but done and should start very soon, and a couple other stores are scheduled for spring openings.

--William Jennings Bryan
agerlt
New to the Neighborhood

Post by agerlt »

I thought it was just a Target - not a Super Target on tap?[/left][/center]
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

agerlt wrote:I thought it was just a Target - not a Super Target on tap?[/left][/center]
Actually, I've heard both from equally reputable sources, so who knows?  I guess I'm just holding out hope for the Super.

--William Jennings Bryan
agerlt
New to the Neighborhood

Post by agerlt »

I was a little surprised that Target would build a new store in CB and that it wouldn't be a Super Target.  Hopefully it is, but either way it will be an improvement over the MoB location.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

agerlt wrote:I was a little surprised that Target would build a new store in CB and that it wouldn't be a Super Target.  Hopefully it is, but either way it will be an improvement over the MoB location.
I don't think the MoB location is that bad.  It's still clean and well kept, they just lack cashiers sometimes :)  Some of the people i know that are on the bbb and chamber of commerce had initially said "Target" but have since mentioned "SuperTarget"---Walmart has been keeping an eye on it somewhat closely, because there still is not really much competition for them.  Yes, there is competition, but nothing on the scale of the Walmart in CB.  The Walmart in Council Bluffs is apparently the highest volume in the metro...i was shocked when i heard this, but the new manager at the CB store left the Bellevue location because of opportunity for a larger bonus, amongst other things.  I would like to see SuperTarget go in, rather than a regular Target so there was another option, and nothing brings options like competition.
icejammer wrote:agerlt wrote:
I thought it was just a Target - not a Super Target on tap?[/left][/center]

Actually, I've heard both from equally reputable sources, so who knows?  I guess I'm just holding out hope for the Super.

And didn't i read in the nonpariel once that they said it was a Super?  I can't find it on their website, because i am not signed up, and it keeps telling me something about a sign-up fee :P
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

thenewguy wrote:And didn't i read in the nonpariel once that they said it was a Super?  I can't find it on their website, because i am not signed up, and it keeps telling me something about a sign-up fee :P
Look back on p. 2 of this thread, there's a story about the possibility of a Super Target, this speculation was before the announcement of any kind of Target was made official.

--William Jennings Bryan
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

thanks