Valley View developments

Including Iowa metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

icejammer
County Board

Valley View developments

Post by icejammer »

A couple things going on east and northeast of the Mall of the Bluffs that can be seen from the interstate.

First, the Valley View Village development is finally nearing completion (about 20 months later than the developer originally said). Supposed to be a deli/wine bar opening up next month that should finish out the spaces in this little strip mall. Their website: Valley View Village.

Another development that garnered brief mention in yesteday's paper:
In other action, the commission approved the preliminary plan for a seven-lot subdivision along Valley View Drive between McPherson Avenue and College Road that would include a new location for New Horizon Presbyterian Church, currently located at 634 Willow Ave.

The new church will sit on slightly more than 14 acres. Also in the plans are a senior living center, a small retail center and almost 34 acres for single-family homes.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

It's about time..

Valley View Village is a good looking development.

Thanks for the update..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

icejammer you need a big applause for all you do on this board. You are the only one who seams to care about the CB news. Without you we would miss out on a lot of the metros developments and happenings. I want to publicly thank you.
15-17, 26, 32
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Thanks for the kind words MTO. This has been a good medium for me to keep up on everything popping up out west since I head that way so infrequently, so I figure others would like to keep up with things on this side of the metro.

Anyway, the newest business opened at the Valley View Village this past weekend:

Cellar 19 uncorked; features wine bar, deli
Fourteen-foot-high ceilings, a marble wine bar, plasma-screen televisions and a vintage redwood wine rack are part of what Jon Nelson and his brothers are hoping to parlay into a successful formula at Cellar 19.

Cellar 19, a new gourmet wine bar and delicatessen at Valley View Village, opened Thursday.
Although I'll have to say this isn't quite what I was envisioning when I first heard a wine bar was opening, I'll have to give it a shot here in the near future. You know, just to make sure the product is any good. :wink:
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

In today's Nonpareil:
The council also gave unanimous approval to build a 96-acre development called New Horizon near Iowa Western Community College.

The project would involve the construction of the 21,000-square-foot New Horizon Presbyterian Church near the northeast corner of Valley View Drive and McPherson Avenue. It will have a seating capacity of 300 people, said Ronald Sealock, a church elder. A senior living center will be located north of the church. There will also be a housing subdivision near Valley View and College Road created by developers Ed Leazenby and Mike Collins.

--William Jennings Bryan
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Wow that is a huge project. Should do wonders for the area.
15-17, 26, 32
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Pretty good-sized housing development going on this site:

New subdivision near Iowa Western proposed
Just one night after the City Council approved final plans for a 98-lot subdivision near the city's animal shelter, the Council Bluffs Planning Commission on Tuesday night gave its blessing to preliminary plans for a 107-lot single-family subdivision near Iowa Western Community College.

The proposal will now go before the City Council for its approval.

The new homes would be built on 32 acres located along the east side of Valley View Drive and south of College Road.

"We're hoping to begin grading this fall," said Brian Leaders, landscape architect for the Schemmer Associates of Omaha.

He mentioned "Turtle Creek" as the possible name for the subdivision.

Leaders declined to name the developer because he hasn't quite finalized the land's purchase from the New Horizons group.

He did say the proposed lots would each be about 65 feet in width and 120 feet in depth. The majority of the homes would be ranch style with 1,200 to 1,500 square feet of living space.
Considering the land has already been 90%+ graded and street R.O.W. already marked, the developer-to-be must have a pretty high level of confidence in City Council approval.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

The long-awaited extension of Valley View Drive to Highway 6 looks to be good to go, this will finally give a continuous parallel route to I-80 from I-680 to Highway 92:

Plan proposes Valley View Drive extension
Plans call for the extension of Valley View from College Road to Highway 6.

"It will be a continuation of what we started a few years ago," said Council Bluffs City Engineer/Public Works Director Greg Reeder. "It will be a short cut and provide traffic relief on other streets."

The proposed new extension would go just west of Mosquito Creek and run to the east of the K-Mart store and line up with Iowa Highway 191 at the intersection of Highway 6.

"It will provide the new housing in that area better access to Highway 6 and it will also be an emergency detour route for interstate traffic should something happen on the interstate," Reeder said.

--William Jennings Bryan
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Line up with Highway 191? Wouldn't they have to tear down part of K-Mart for that?
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

No, I don't think so.  I think they will bring it around the east side with a broad gentle curve.  It will cut off part of the parking lot there.

And the OWH had a story on it today too:

New drive to link Bluffs roads

I like how out-of-date the OWH graphic is here, they don't show Valley View extended to IWCC, which was done 2 years ago. :roll:

--William Jennings Bryan
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Should have known it was only a matter of time before that area did something.  I used to go out there a lot with my X and thought how beautiful and prime that area is.  I loved it tranquil but down the freeway to DTO.  I saw some new roads being started over that way but just thought it was more IWCC stuff going up.
15-17, 26, 32
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

And from the Nonpariel...

Council approves services for Valley View extension
The City Council Monday night unanimously approved engineering services for the extension of Valley View Drive from College Road to Kanesville Boulevard, also known as U.S. Highway 6.

"It will be a continuation of what we started a few years ago," Public Works Director/City Engineer Greg Reeder said recently.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Nice followup article on one of the development's tenant's first year anniversary:

Art and wine a winning combo at Cellar 19
The visitor to Cellar 19 is first greeted by the deli aroma, then it's the artwork that catches the eye.

Cellar 19 Wine & Deli in Valley View Village is a year old, and co-owner Jon Nelson has found art and wine to be a good mix. . .

The deli is open for lunch and dinner, with most items made fresh on site. The customer has a choice of 40 bottled beers, a full bar, 15 wines sold by the glass and about 150 wines available by the bottle, mostly in the range of $10 to $30 each.

Nelson is proud to feature a selection that includes the products of local vineyards. . .

Live music has been offered and bike racks will be added with the goal of drawing riders off the Wabash Trace. . .

Nelson likes the way Cellar 19 has become a gathering place for artists and their supporters, with numerous paintings, mostly abstracts, displayed for sale.

In recent weeks, sculptures by Council Bluffs artist Josh Powell were shown, but those have moved. Powell, who also works in oils and acrylics, said Cellar 19 has provided a great outlet for local artists. . .

The Old Market also is of interest to Nelson, who views that as one potential area for expansion. He's also considering downtown Council Bluffs, Des Moines, Kansas City and Lincoln.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

District ready to build new school
The school board is likely Tuesday to approve the purchase of a parcel of land near Iowa Western Community College for $500,000.

That’s the first step. The second step will be to build a new elementary school on that site, and the school board president said both steps will lead to providing the kind of education the community demands.

“This will be the first new elementary school in more than 50 years. It’s been a long time,” board president Marvin Arnpriester said.

The district hopes to purchase land at Valley View Drive and College Road currently owned by New Horizon Presbyterian Church. The site near Mosquito Creek offers about six or seven acres suitable for building.

“The board looked at 11 different sites, and this was the best choice,” Arnpriester said. . . .

The east end facility would be expected to accommodate up to 500 children and would be a three-section school under current plans.

The board would approve the site purchase Tuesday, and the sale would go through a week later when the sellers approve the deal. The sale would be final June 30. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

C.B. school district to build first new school in years
The new school will rise on a piece of property at Valley View Drive and College Road. The sign went up Tuesday afternoon on the site across from Iowa Western Community College. . . .

“We’re planning a two-story building to use the land to its best advantage. We can add on later if needed,” Bruckner said.

The school board voted on May 12 to buy the land near Iowa Western Community College for $500,000 from the New Horizon Presbyterian Church. The site near Mosquito Creek offers about 6 or 7 acres upon which the district hopes to build a school for educating up to 500 students from pre-kindergarten through fifth grade.

“We’ve had engineers look at the site, we’ve had architects look at it, and we’re assured we’re out of the 100-year flood plain,” Bruckner said. . . .

Work could start this spring, the school’s principal will be named soon, and the plan is have the facility ready for students in time for the 2011-12 school year.

The architectural firm of Beringer Ciaccio Dennell Mabrey will design both the east-end school and the new Carter Lake school. Both schools will be built to accommodate as many as 500 students, with three classrooms for each grade level. Both schools could cost about $10.1 million each to build.

The cost of the land purchase and building construction will be paid through sales tax revenue.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

icejammer wrote:And from the Nonpariel...

Council approves services for Valley View extension
The City Council Monday night unanimously approved engineering services for the extension of Valley View Drive from College Road to Kanesville Boulevard, also known as U.S. Highway 6.

"It will be a continuation of what we started a few years ago," Public Works Director/City Engineer Greg Reeder said recently.
Contract will finally be awarded next month for this work.  Delays attributable to ROW acquisition and pipeline relocation difficulties.

--William Jennings Bryan
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

Yesterday they were pulling electric lines across I-80 by there.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

bargainhunter wrote:Yesterday they were pulling electric lines across I-80 by there.
That's in conjunction with the ARRA project for widening College Road around the east side of IWCC, they were doing that all weekend.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Work to begin soon at site of new elementary school
. . . The school board approved a contract Tuesday for $400,508 with Pink Grading to begin stripping and compacting soil and adding fill dirt at the building site. The district needs to add an estimated 86,000 cubic yards of dirt to the construction site, which sits in a low-lying area near Iowa Western Community College. . . .

“We need 8 to 12 inches of settlement. We’ll allow it to compact over the winter so contractors can start construction in the spring,” he said. . .

--William Jennings Bryan
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

I heard a rumor about a football complex being built on the north end of Valley View Park.  Anyone know anything??
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Council approves Valley View Drive extension
The Council Bluffs City Council Monday evening unanimously approved the plans for the final extension project of Valley View Drive.

This would involve extending it from College road to U.S. Highway 6. Valley View Drive was extended from McPherson Avenue to college Road in 2003. Later, improvements to College Road were made from Valley View west to Indian Hills Drive that ends at College Road.

The proposed extension would involve creating a new road going north from where Indian Hills now ends to Highway 6, where it would line up with Railroad Avenue that goes north out of town. The new road would be directly east of the Sherwood Plaza shopping area. The project would take out some parking stalls there, but have no impact on the buildings, said Public Works Director Greg Reeder. Completion is expected next summer, he said. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Council to consider rezoning for school
Before a new school is built in Council Bluffs, the land upon which it will be located must be properly zoned for that use.

That issue is on the Council Bluffs City Council agenda Monday evening.

The council will be asked to rezone a parcel of land on the west side of Valley View Drive, south of College Road where the Council Bluffs School District intends to build an elementary school.

“This is the final step necessary so that we may begin the construction process,” said Diane Ostrowski, school spokesperson. . . .

The school is part of a planned development that already includes a new church for New Horizon. Construction has not yet begun for a senior living community building or a single-family residential subdivision.

--William Jennings Bryan
skibum21
New to the Neighborhood

Post by skibum21 »

Anyone know what is going in at Valley View Village?  The last bay that has been vacant forever between the coffee shop and Cellar 19 has been rented and they are starting the finishing work.  I hope it something good..
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

skibum21 wrote:Anyone know what is going in at Valley View Village?  The last bay that has been vacant forever between the coffee shop and Cellar 19 has been rented and they are starting the finishing work.  I hope it something good..
I was just wondering that too.  I hadn't noticed any work going on there until today.
skibum21
New to the Neighborhood

Post by skibum21 »

bargainhunter wrote:
skibum21 wrote:Anyone know what is going in at Valley View Village?  The last bay that has been vacant forever between the coffee shop and Cellar 19 has been rented and they are starting the finishing work.  I hope it something good..
I was just wondering that too.  I hadn't noticed any work going on there until today.
The sign on the door says it's going to be the office of a Financial Planner.  Not Exciting!!
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

Booooo.....I was hoping for some good retail