Broadway Viaduct Replacement

Including Iowa metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

i like it too.  do they plan on doing anything with the medians on either end?  i.e. plants/brick work like that on the east end of the ave g viaduct
Go Cubs Go
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Oh no! Disappearing post syndrome is going around again.

Great photos, Brad. Thanks.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
omaja
Library Board

Post by omaja »

I can't help but think the yellow looks a little awkward against the unpainted concrete.  But they are going to act as street lights?  Pretty neat.

Definitely a major improvement over what was there.  Can't wait to see it finished.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I'll reserve judgment until I can experience the bridge in the intended fashion - from behind the windshield of a car - since it's intended to provide a "pleasurable driving experience".  8)
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Looking at the second picture, it looks like they have a standard access hole at the bottom, so I'm assuming that these will also be the lights. I'm curious if there is another piece for the top or if they house some downward pointing LED panels or something like that.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

FYI:

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

:shock:
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Whoa! I love the wide pedestrian promenade!

This is quite impressive.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I thought someone already posted those renderings on here. I remeber seeing them sometime back in October.

Anyway, I think it'll look pretty cool when it's all done. I admire the strides CB is taking to implement a public art element into new infrastructure.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Absolutely, like I mentioned, they really put Omaha to shame.
Jwunderlich
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Jwunderlich »

I would just like to mention how beautiful the new yellow spikes look covered in dirt and filth (sarcasm) maybe bright yellow spikes on a well traveled road wasn't the smartest design move.  As for us outdoing Omaha Omaha can have this design.  It is only my opinion and i know that that doesn't matter but i thought a sister bridge to the one on ave G would have looked nice but like I said who am I.
SadlerElectric
New to the Neighborhood

Post by SadlerElectric »

Pictures of the wand light that will be going on the top of every light pole.  The light poles on the north side of the bridge will be a burnt orange/red in color.  All of the poles tilt out at 9 degrees.  They also rise from around 40' from the bridge deck to 60' at the center of the bridge.  Every two poles (one on the south and one on the north) are the same size.  The next set of poles is around 9-12" taller until you get to the center.

If anyone has more questions, please let me know.

Thanks!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Thanks for the info SadlerElectric.

I am going to be interested to see how the down lights look when its all done...  They don't seem to fit with the rest of the pole/art.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

That's gonna look pretty damn impressive at night. I still think it's a lot for nothing, especially considering all the other needs for that kind of money, but it is from the IWF for that purpose, and it should look nice. A bit Saddam Hussein-ish during the day, but at night definitely impressive.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Nice I never even noticed those in the sketches.  I think that it is going to look great, especially at night.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Update as of May 25, Westbound deck going in:

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Thanks for the Update!  They are really moving along!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Thanks for the Update!  They are really moving along!
Yeah, I think the completion is scheduled for this fall, so it looks like they are on time.
fbx
New to the Neighborhood

Post by fbx »

Yep, we finished hauling in the last bridge girders on Thursday.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

The road to progress
There are just a few more months to go before the new Broadway viaduct is open for traffic, a local official said.

“We’re still on schedule for a November completion date,” said Bruce Flippin, a construction engineer for the Iowa Department of Transportation. “We’re looking at mid-November. It will be completely open.” . . .
Construction workers have begun the task of installing decorative poles on the north side of the West Broadway viaduct. The viaduct is expected to be completed and opened to both eastbound and westbound traffic in November.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

icejammer wrote:The road to progress
There are just a few more months to go before the new Broadway viaduct is open for traffic, a local official said.

“We’re still on schedule for a November completion date,” said Bruce Flippin, a construction engineer for the Iowa Department of Transportation. “We’re looking at mid-November. It will be completely open.” . . .
Construction workers have begun the task of installing decorative poles on the north side of the West Broadway viaduct. The viaduct is expected to be completed and opened to both eastbound and westbound traffic in November.
Cool.  I am usually over in CB 3 or 4 times a week, but I haven't been over there in two weeks.  I need to get back and check out the bridge progress!
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Aesthetics have been discussed ad nauseum, let's keep the discussion to the bridge itself, thanks!
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Viaduct to open week of Oct. 17

From the Nonpareil

http://southwestiowanews.com/articles/2 ... 504546.txt
The Broadway viaduct will be open this month, a state engineer said Wednesday.

“We’re looking to open the week of Oct. 17,” said George Feazell. “There was a lot of work to do in a two-week period and the contractor is to be commended.” . . .

Besides being wider, the viaduct will look brighter at night with lights atop a row of tall aluminum poles attached to the sides. Artwork, created by Ed Carpenter of Portland, Ore., will be installed next spring. . . .
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

i'm anxious to be done with the detours
Go Cubs Go
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I drove past it Sunday, and it looked ready to go.  Did it open yesterday?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Brad wrote:I drove past it Sunday, and it looked ready to go.  Did it open yesterday?
Guess not, OWH just threw up a story that it opens Friday.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

New Broadway viaduct opens

From the World Herald:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20111021/N ... duct-opens
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I thought maybe once the construction was over this "design" would look better.  Still really confused by the yellow and orange sticks idea though.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Linkin5 wrote:I thought maybe once the construction was over this "design" would look better.  Still really confused by the yellow and orange sticks idea though.
The main piece is going to be installed over the center of the bridge in the spring.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Drove over the bridge tonight for the first time after dark... Looks Cool!  I usually take 9th Ave not Broadway.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:Drove over the bridge tonight for the first time after dark... Looks Cool!  I usually take 9th Ave not Broadway.
I was going to take a picture of it last week when I was in town, it does look pretty cool when lit up.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Wonder when the middle art is going up?
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Not the best picture,  but you get the point..   They finally turned on the lights on top of each pole. It looks really great and there were quite a few people walking across.

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here is another picture of the bridge:

windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

I think the whole region should embrace all the marvelous public art projects Council Bluffs has undertaken in the past decade.  The new bridge is just another example of thinking outside the box.  Two thumbs up CB.
where the corn meets the concrete
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Alright folks, let's stick to the topic at hand, we don't need to rehash old debates, thanks!

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I was over in Council Bluffs getting my taxes done yesterday and they had a copy of the Nonpareil in the lobby.  The Nonpareil said the Art would be going in this summer, but I can't find the article online.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:I was over in Council Bluffs getting my taxes done yesterday and they had a copy of the Nonpareil in the lobby.  The Nonpareil said the Art would be going in this summer, but I can't find the article online.
I am wondering when they are going to start the installation.  Its almost August and still no progress.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120821/N ... ivers-eyes
Michael O'Connor, World-Herald Staff Writer wrote:The installation is scheduled to start Sept. 4 and should be finished by the end of the month.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Installation of ‘Gateway’ on West Broadway viaduct to begin Sept. 4
“Gateway,” the $1 million public art sculpture to be installed at the top of the West Broadway viaduct, is on its way.

Installation of the massive steel sculpture will begin the morning of Tuesday, Sept. 4. Pete Tulipana, president and CEO of the Iowa West Foundation, which is funding the art, made the announcement with artist Ed Carpenter Monday.

By the end of September, according to Carpenter, the artwork – all 50 tons of it – will be more or less erected. Tulipana said erection crews will largely work at night. . . .

The public can watch the three-week installation through a time-lapse webcam beginning Sept. 4 at http://www.iowawestpublicart.org.

--William Jennings Bryan