Value Place - Council Bluffs

Including Iowa metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Finn
Parks & Recreation

Value Place - Council Bluffs

Post by Finn »

From OWH:
A 121-room Value Place hotel would be built near South 35th Street and 14th Avenue. The four-story hotel would charge weekly rates and cater to travelers on extended business, families on the move and others.

Near the hotel would be a commercial complex with 16 bays for shops or professional offices. There also would be sites for two restaurants, said developer Mark McKeever.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=46&u_sid=2156656
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

It looks like we posted the same thread at the same time (I deleted mine)..

Anyway, the development is called River Valley..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Geez, Value place is quickly moving east starting in Lincoln, then to Omaha, now Council Bluffs. Something must be working here for them.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

CB's entertainment corridor most be doing pretty good
15-17, 26, 32
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

Value Place is nothing to get all excited about. I dread when we have one...which is soon according to the website. The logo is horrible too!

Beautiful Rooms (straight from the 80's!)
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Who's excited? :shock: Most of us already know what it looks like, but thanks. :roll:
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

that cant be their real sign! it has to be a photoshop its too funny
15-17, 26, 32
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

MTO wrote:that cant be their real sign! it has to be a photoshop its too funny
Well, the image itself is computer generated. The clouds are likely real as a background layer, but that's about it.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

I saw one of these in Lincoln a couple weeks ago, yea that's their real sign. I honestly thought it was like a vacant hotel for sale. Wow that place sucks.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Same developer that did the Valley View Village, also putting in a subdivision. Nice to see somebody new (and local) step up in the development arena in town - I'm not holding my breath on this development though.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Article in today's Nonpareil:

Council Approves, Hotel construction could start soon
Council Bluffs developer Mark McKeever, who owns the property, said there's already interest in the other lots. Two strip mall buildings, each 10,000 square feet, are planned on one of those lots. They would feature retail and professional offices, McKeever said. Plans also call for a fast-food restaurant with drive-through on one of the other lots and a 6,400-square-foot sit-down restaurant on the remaining lot, he said.
I'll believe it when I see it when Mark says there's already interest, given his track record with the Valley View Village, but maybe he's learned a thing or two with that project...........
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

A Ruby Tuesday is going in nearby too right?

About these Value Places, I just can't believe someone would build a NEW decrepit roadside motel across the plains. I'd rather see no hotel than this place.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

aren't they about to tear one of these down here in midtown on dodge? :wink:
15-17, 26, 32
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Haha, I can see you're comparison with Travel Inn, EXCEPT Value Place is hands down 10x's better. :lol:
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

adam186 wrote:Haha, I can see you're comparison with Travel Inn, EXCEPT Value Place is hands down 10x's better. :lol:
Yea, but I bet you can't buy drugs at Value Place... :lol:
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:Yea, but I bet you can't buy drugs at Value Place... :lol:
or squat for free and a numerous of other activities I shouldn't mention on this forum. :lol:
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Council Bluffs developer Mark McKeever, who owns the property, said there's already interest in the other lots. Two strip mall buildings, each 10,000 square feet, are planned on one of those lots.
How's the existing space at 'the Plaza' doing? Have they added anything beyond the Famous Dave's and chiropractors office??

As for the 'Value Place'... I'm not sure they're really any worse than, say, a Holiday Inn Express. Not anything to get excited about, but they certainly satisfy a niche demand. They do look more like an average apartment building, as someone pointed out in another 'Value Place' thread.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:
adam186 wrote:Haha, I can see you're comparison with Travel Inn, EXCEPT Value Place is hands down 10x's better. :lol:
Yea, but I bet you can't buy drugs at Value Place... :lol:
coming soon to a value place near you
15-17, 26, 32
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

jhuston wrote:They do look more like an average apartment building, as someone pointed out in another 'Value Place' thread.
Well, they kinda are. They charge weekly for extend stays. Mainly intended for people moving to the area and need a place for a while.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

ala "but they certainly satisfy a niche demand" :)
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

jhuston wrote:ala "but they certainly satisfy a niche demand" :)
I know Jeff, I'm just clarifying for those that may not know.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Thanks adam. :)

Here's the Omaha Value Place thread: http://www.eomaha.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2317
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

jhuston wrote:How's the existing space at 'the Plaza' doing? Have they added anything beyond the Famous Dave's and chiropractors office??
Nothing new there. IMO, they priced themselves out of the market initially, and sitting mostly empty now, understandably, makes people shy about space there. Should be seeing a lot of activity around there soon though, with the new hotel going up, Ruby Tuesday's is nearing completion, they warehouse across the street from Ruby Tuesday should be undergoing a makeover in the near future. I keep hearing rumors (mainly speculation, imo) on some of the other out lots down there, but I think people are waiting to see what the preferred rebuild of the interstate is going to be, as far as the interchange in the area.

--William Jennings Bryan
Omababe
Planning Board

Dead hotel?

Post by Omababe »

Say, does anyone know the story on the almost-complete but unopened hotel on the west side of 35th, just northwest of the Comfort Suites?

I pass it every week and I'm kinda curious. It seems like it's been more or less in the same state for a year or so.
thenewguy
County Board

Re: Dead hotel?

Post by thenewguy »

Omababe wrote:Say, does anyone know the story on the almost-complete but unopened hotel on the west side of 35th, just northwest of the Comfort Suites?

I pass it every week and I'm kinda curious. It seems like it's been more or less in the same state for a year or so.
There were people in it a couple weeks ago working on some finishing touches (as it seemed).  There were like 4 trucks parked out there, and there was a bulldozer doing some ground leveling.  I assume that value place just had to slow down on stuff with the tough economy.  they were supposed to be open by now (obviously) but had to put the brakes on for the time being.
Go Cubs Go
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I heard there were problems with the contractor.  I too have seen work going on lately.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Extended-stay hotel opens in Bluffs
. . . Value Place, an extended-stay hotel located at 3541 14th Ave. near Interstate 29 and Nebraska Avenue, has opened its doors and features 113 rooms with weekly rates starting at $189. Monthly rates are also available. . . .

The rooms feature full-sized beds and kitchens with a large refrigerator, two-burner stovetop, and a microwave, plus there’s a laundry room and vending area. Other amenities included in the weekly rate are expanded cable network and at least one premium movie channel, bi-weekly housekeeping and towels and linens. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan