River's Edge Development (Playland Park)

Including Iowa metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I'm guessing the engineers and designers involved know what to plan for. :;):
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

There's a little 9-hole private golf course in the little town of Earlville, IL near the farm where I grew up that was built around a creek.  It flooded with regularity in the spring to the point the low-elevation greens were little islands in the water.  Each time, after the water receded, the groundskeeper would spend a day or two clearing out brush and driftwood, but the course was never really damaged.  I don't know if they used a particular kind of grass, but it seemed to survive.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I'm guessing the engineers and designers involved know what to plan for. :;):
Ahh.  The beauty of youth...
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I'm guessing the engineers and designers involved know what to plan for. :;):
This is true.  I should know better than to hold much stock in a conceptual image, but it didn't look like there was a significant barrier between the park and the river.
Go Cubs Go
Jwunderlich
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Jwunderlich »

So i have heard from a high level source that there will be no condos that they are going to take the dirt out and they are going to replant grass that urban revival program will take it over and make it into a more family friendly place to be.
Jwunderlich
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Jwunderlich »

They are going to take all the dirt from the park and dump it into the riverside.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

i don't like that idea at all.  Why not go with what they planned?  It'd work.  It could make sense though: they did remove the signage by the park saying what was going to be going in.  

However, didn't they already get a lot of funding to do work there?  I was thinking iowa west kicked in a chunk of dough to develop it already.
Go Cubs Go
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I think Jwunderlich's source is either confused or uninformed. They are planting grass on the river side. Also, CB didn't put in sewer pipe into the east side and raise the level 4 ft with dirt to not develop it. Doesn't make sense.
Jwunderlich
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Jwunderlich »

From what i gather they have not been able to find a contractor or company to do all the work and that's what they want is someone to front all the money for the project. Heh i could have been miss informed but if the redo the park anyway the still were going to need to update the sewer.  They are redoing all the interstate there anyway as well as all the sewer lines in the area.  And how many times has the city paid to have something done or had plans to have something done and it never worked out.    Amusement park, the Wedge, water park, The doom plan AKA Discount outlets of MidAmerica "big out side mall by the truck stops similar to Omaha's village point all these fell through.  So if someone hears something else let me know.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Jwunderlich wrote:They are going to take all the dirt from the park and dump it into the riverside.
I would hope not, as that would be against the law.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Jwunderlich
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Jwunderlich »

Not in the actual river on the the river side of the dike to build up that side for the green space and park.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Jwunderlich wrote:Not in the actual river on the the river side of the dike to build up that side for the green space and park.
Yes, I understood, but placing fill material on the riverside of the levee would violate floodplain/floodway regulations.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Jwunderlich
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Jwunderlich »

Wow then if the don't build it up any more than it is flooding is always going to be an issue..
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Jwunderlich wrote:Wow then if the don't build it up any more than it is flooding is always going to be an issue..
Yes, it will, what we saw this weekend will occur, on average, once every 5 or 6 years.

--William Jennings Bryan
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

icejammer wrote:
Jwunderlich wrote:Wow then if the don't build it up any more than it is flooding is always going to be an issue..
Yes, it will, what we saw this weekend will occur, on average, once every 5 or 6 years.
As long as the landscaping and vegetation is designed appropriately, this shouldn't be a problem.  It is a good point that floodplain modification often makes flooding worse (New Orleans, anyone?).
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

drove by the other night---i didn't realize how far in the water had made it
Go Cubs Go
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

It really looks different down there with all of the trees removed.  I can not wait to see the finished project.
where the corn meets the concrete
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Bridge To Nowhere Going Somewhere Special

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/92063329.html
www.wowt.com wrote:The building is in the works. What is basically a big empty field will be transformed into a park along the Iowa riverfront that is scheduled to open in 2012.

"This is a chance for Council Bluffs to really do something spectacular. Larry Foster with Council Bluffs Parks and Recreation points out the changes that will soon take place at the foot of the pedestrian bridge.

"So we'll have this, what we're calling the great lawn, beautiful, big, green palette. It will be used for activities and events and concerts and gatherings and recreation."

Off to the side will be pavilions for events and seating terraced into the levee, all at the foot of the Missouri River. There will also be a beach on the edge of the river, complete with sand.

"We have a plaza, we have seating areas where you can sit and watch the river go by,” says Foster. “We think people will be surprised, we think they'll be delighted and we think once it's open they're going to be entertained and it isn't going to matter what side of the river they come from, it's going to serve everybody in a great fashion."

The cost for phase one is $11 million. Half of that will be funded by Iowa West and the other half will come from the city of Council Bluffs. Foster hopes to start construction in October with an opening date of spring 2012.
Go Cubs Go
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

So what's going on over there isn't considered construction yet?

I actually had a wonderful time attending one of the Omaha's symphony performances over there.  I think it'll be fantastic when they're actually set right up against the river... the skyline in the background.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Most of the construction thus far is on the Playland Park area, where the planned multi-use area will be.  The park will be on the river side of the levee; all that's been done with that area is to clear trees in advance of eagle nesting season, so that doesn't hinder progress later this year.

--William Jennings Bryan
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I believe the trees were cleared to spare bats that would have nested in them. Maybe they were considering eagles, too.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

You're right, my bad, it was bats, not eagles that were the concern.

--William Jennings Bryan
Jwunderlich
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Jwunderlich »

So I have heard many things but I am not sure what is true or fiction if anyone can help I would be very grateful.  Does anyone know what the plans are for playland park as of right now.  I heard that condos were out due to lack of funds from private contractors heard it was going to be park again.

Also seeing that this is my front yard i would like to go to the public meeting concerning the area but i have no clue when or were they are.  I am not intending to be a pain at the meetings i would just like to know what is the current direction the project is going.

Thanks for any info or guidance.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

River's Edge Park is the grand park that will be between the river and the levee. The Playland Park land, east of the levee, is still slated for mixed use development and, to my knowledge, is just awaiting interest from developers.

I don't have any details about public meetings. Maybe icejammer can help us out.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:River's Edge Park is the grand park that will be between the river and the levee. The Playland Park land, east of the levee, is still slated for mixed use development and, to my knowledge, is just awaiting interest from developers.

I don't have any details about public meetings. Maybe icejammer can help us out.
I haven't heard of any upcoming.  I'd check with the City's Community Development department.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

New foundation to raise funds for River’s Edge Park
. . . Officials of a newly created Council Bluffs Friends of the Parks Foundation announced Wednesday a fundraising effort to enhance the park that would include a donor’s plaza featuring tall, stainless steel pillars with engraved names of donors or someone of their choice. Donations are welcome from everyone, including people in Nebraska, said Council Bluffs Parks Director Larry Foster.

The pillars would be lighted so that people could see the names at night, he added. . . .

Individuals or families can donate $25, $50 or $100, Foster said, adding that the higher the donation, the more prominent the name would appear on the pillars, possibly in bigger lettering.

Donors can request their own names on the pillars, that of their entire family or in remembrance of a deceased loved one, Foster said. They are allowed up to 30 characters on one line, he said.

There will also be a section in the plaza specifically for businesses and organizations that donate $500, $1,000 or $2,000, Foster said.

The deadline to donate to have an engraving is June 15, he said. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Riverfront project gets $2M boost
The proposed River’s Edge Park along the Missouri River in Council Bluffs got a $2 million boost Wednesday from the Vision Iowa Board.

“This is terrific news,” said Council Bluffs Parks Director Larry Foster. “It was a fabulous project before Wednesday, and now it is even greater.”

“It’s our front door,” added Mayor Tom Hanafan.

The board approved a $2 million River Enhancement Community Attraction and Tourism, or RECAT, grant – the largest of its kind ever, Foster said. . . .

The grant comes with the stipulation that the city raises $45,000 within 30 days, Foster said. . . .

The current fundraiser and the $2 million grant would pay for enhancements, he said. This would include more formal seating in the amphitheater, a new parking lot, a hidden storage area for maintenance equipment and more decorative restroom facilities, Foster said. . . .

“We think this is exactly what the Legislature and the governor had in mind when they created the RECAT legislation,” Bailey said. “This project makes the riverfront accessible, beautiful and green. As we see the project, it’s a benefit to two states.” . . .
[center]Image
An amphitheater is one of the new elements of the new riverfront park that will be built because of a $2 million Vision Iowa grant.[/center]

--William Jennings Bryan
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We can't wait for this to become a reality.  Another great addition to the core city amenities.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

When will construction actually begin on the park?  They cleared those trees in record time, but the logs are still sitting there, and there has been zero work on the wet side of the levee since then...  I thought construction was supposed to begin in earnest this spring.   They've already had several sources of funding approved, so I'm surprised that we haven't seen more work completed.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Ben wrote:When will construction actually begin on the park?  They cleared those trees in record time, but the logs are still sitting there, and there has been zero work on the wet side of the levee since then...  I thought construction was supposed to begin in earnest this spring.   They've already had several sources of funding approved, so I'm surprised that we haven't seen more work completed.
Part of it may have to do with the area having its second major flood event of the spring...just sayin...
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

What is suppose to be on the east side of the levee? Some friends and I walked across the bridge on Saturday and it is looking pretty wet over there. We asked someone what was suppose to be going in and she said she wasnt sure any more as they have high ground water so building could be a problem .. I dont know if that is true or not.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Uffda wrote:What is suppose to be on the east side of the levee?
Its supposed to be a park.  Ballfields, including soccer, and baseball, if I remember correctly.  Plus a kids play area and I believe and a small amphitheater.  You can scroll back through this thread for the detials.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Ben wrote:
Uffda wrote:What is suppose to be on the east side of the levee?
Its supposed to be a park.  Ballfields, including soccer, and baseball, if I remember correctly.  Plus a kids play area and I believe and a small amphitheater.  You can scroll back through this thread for the detials.
The east side is going to be a multi-use development, see back a few pages, the park is on the west side.  

Construction on the park wasn't scheduled until later this year to coincide with lower risk of flooding.

--William Jennings Bryan
Jwunderlich
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Jwunderlich »

Was wondering if anyone knew anything new about the east side of the park or had seen any plans last i had heard it was going back to green until they could get a developer in.   Also had heard rumor you know friend of friend of cousin of second stepsister say hotel branch was considering area for a great wolf lodge type of project for the area.  I consider this source weak at most just wondering if there were any other crazy ideas out there.  

Play land park is literally my front yard so any incite would be greatly appreciated.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Jwunderlich wrote:Was wondering if anyone knew anything new about the east side of the park or had seen any plans last i had heard it was going back to green until they could get a developer in.
It looks like they divided the park(Everything east of the levee) in to 2 lots and your half(west half - ball field and grass field) looks to be a regular lot and the other half (east half) looks like it will remain park land.  The dividing line is the bike trail that runs near the center of the bark.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Brad wrote:
Jwunderlich wrote:Was wondering if anyone knew anything new about the east side of the park or had seen any plans last i had heard it was going back to green until they could get a developer in.
It looks like they divided the park(Everything east of the levee) in to 2 lots and your half(west half - ball field and grass field) looks to be a regular lot and the other half (east half) looks like it will remain park land.  The dividing line is the bike trail that runs near the center of the bark.

was it this way, or that way?

You may have your directions mixed up ;)
Go Cubs Go
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I am right... here is a map:
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

oh do you  mean the path that cuts through the middle of the park?  Sorry, i was thinking that you were saying bike trail as in the levee that cut through the area, dividing the west (river side) and east (housing side).

I retract my previous attempt at clever :p
Go Cubs Go
Jwunderlich
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Jwunderlich »

OK so by regular lot just an empty space like it used to be.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Jwunderlich wrote:OK so by regular lot just an empty space like it used to be.
I thought it was all considered park before?