1892 German Bier Haus

Including Iowa metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

icejammer
County Board

1892 German Bier Haus

Post by icejammer »

Daily Nonpareil wrote:Broadway might get a taste of Germany

A fall opening is anticipated for a new German restaurant at 142 W. Broadway.

Details are somewhat in flux, but Jim Royer, co-owner of J Development with Julie Stavneak, the team that developed the apartments at the site of the old 1892 Edibles and Spirits, confirmed that Council Bluffs native Frank Hoover has leased the property.

Hoover, who owns Das Rheinland in Omaha's Old Market, declined through Royer to be interviewed for this article.

Originally planned as a German beer house, Royer said the project remains in the planning phase, but the overall concept is set.

"It's going to be a German restaurant for sure," he said. The name and the exact format are still being determined.

The new restaurant will occupy one of four bays that run from 136 to 142 W. Broadway. Royer is looking to fill those other spots as soon as possible, and he's willing to listen to a variety of options.

"Anything that would kind of fit in with the neighborhood," he said. "It could be office, retail or restaurant."

The four apartments that sit above the street-level bays are full, Royer said.
Last edited by icejammer on Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

The German Bier House is now open for business!!!
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

....and what's like.  Should I actually drive my arse over there to check it out.  Is it worth the trip?
Mr. Cox
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Mr. Cox »

The owner closed his former restaurant, Das Rheinland, in the Old Market.  Das Rheinland is being replaced by a new sports bar, The Stadium Club, owned by the same guy that owns Scott St. Pub in CB.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

You're kidding?  Das Rheinland closed... and is now this?

I guess that great news for Council Bluffs... and just a little further I'll have to drive.  It was only 2 minutes to get to the West Center location... what's next?  Des Moines? :\
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

So is JD Tuckers combining space with the new Stadium Club, or are they going to remain separate entities?  JD Tuckers was opened by the same guy that owns Scott Street Pub, and as I understood, they utilized Das Rheinland for their kitchen operations.

--William Jennings Bryan
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

This should probably be under a stadium club thread (if one exists), but the question was posed here, so I thought I'd answer it here.

I've asked that question (combining of the spaces) of the bartenders on one of my many frequent trips to JD Tuckers.  The Stadium Club (former Das Rheinland) will be similarly styled as Tuckers, and they expect to draw much the same crowd, but will remain 2 separate entities, mostly to preserve the smoking currently allowed in JD Tuckers (as they currently don't serve food).  Thinking is that they will most likely offer takeout from the Stadium Club to Tuckers, with waitresses/bartenders shuffling orders/food back and forth.....  Gotta love the ways people figure out around the smoking ban.

Last I heard, they were hoping for a Superbowl grand opening, but things appeared to be slipping some timeline wise during the remodel, so they weren't quite as definitive on a date (I'll try and post an update next time I head in for a drink).
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Thanks, Ben!  'Tis certainly interesting on the smoking ban, I hadn't thought of that.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

1892 German Bier Haus opens
You can call the 1892 German Bier Haus at 142 W. Broadway authentic.

The rebirth of the 100 block of West Broadway continues with a new face on an old favorite. The site that once was home to one of the city's most popular bars, the 1892 Edibles & Spirits, has been given new life, thanks to Frank Hoover who came to Council Bluffs nine years ago from his native Saxony in eastern Germany.
From the gold wood panels that outline the front door to the solid wood floors and brick walls, the 1892 German Bier Haus is warm and welcoming. The wooden bar lines one side with glass beer mugs towering over everything. Flags representing the German states adorn the other wall as patrons choose between tables or booths.

A couch and fireplace grace a corner near the front doors and to the rear an open space provides room for darts and tables for foosball and pool.

The new bar opened Jan. 12 and celebrated its grand opening on Saturday. On Monday the kitchen will begin featuring daily specials, while German favorites anchor the menu.

--William Jennings Bryan
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The Stadium Club is planning on opening Feb 5th (M-F 2pm-1am S/S 11am-1am)
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

German native realizes dream in U.S. 'paradise'
. . . While beer isn't 1892's only item, owner Frank Hoover is capitalizing on his native Germany's reputation for hearty ale in his downtown beer haus and restaurant. Hoover and his staff sport black and white "I did Das Boot!" T-shirts, which invites the question, "What does it mean?"

The "boot" refers to a 64-ounce glass and if you "did it," a bell rings - not only in your head, but also in the restaurant. . . .

Hoover's bartender fills a glass from one of four beer towers. The large imported German glass urns pour 15 different ales. Hoover plans to add another tower and five more on-tap selections to go with 85 European bottled beers he offers.

Seventy-four-year-old Johanna makes homemade soup in the kitchen and rolls out dumplings filled with bacon and onion.

"Our German food is homemade, just like Grandma's," Hoover said.

While 1892 specializes in German fare, such as schnitzel, sauerkraut, ham hocks and red cabbage, Hoover also offers hamburgers and other American items.

Before setting up shop in Council Bluffs this January, Hoover owned Das Rheinland in the Old Market. When a neighboring business offered to buy the place, he jumped at the offer.

"It was more a special occasion place," he said. "And there are too many restaurants in Omaha."

Hoover said 1892 is more to his liking and reminds him of his Plauen restaurant.

"You see a lot of the same people. It is more like a community." . . .
Frank Hoover, owner of 1892, stands outside of the restaurant. Hoover, who is originally from eastern Germany, offers various traditional dishes at his eatery.

--William Jennings Bryan
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

"And there are too many restaurants in Omaha."
:roll:

-Big E
Stable genius.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Yeah, I thought that was a pretty funny thing to say, but whatever...

--William Jennings Bryan
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

icejammer wrote:Yeah, I thought that was a pretty funny thing to say, but whatever...
People on here have said the same thing in a few resturant thread.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Yeah, and they too were overwhelmed by the Wrath of the :roll:

-Big E
Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Well - I guess it will take a while checking out all the too many restaurants in Omaha before I think about going to his joint.  :roll:
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

My wife and I went there a few months ago... they seem to have gone with alot more 'bar'... and a lot less 'german'.  We loved the food at Das Rheinland... this place... not so much.  A very limited menu compared to what they once had.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.