The Marketplace: S. 24th St and I-80

Including Iowa metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

i saw that a few days ago and decided that i'll be making a pit stop for lunch.  I've had their chicken 1 time, and i thought it was pretty good.
Go Cubs Go
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Texas Roadhouse is set to break ground the second week of July and plans to be open this fall.  The article in the paper said that they would employ roughly 150 jobs at first.  Restaurant is set to be about 7,000 square feet.

I'll post a link when i can get the nonpareil's sit to pull up.
Go Cubs Go
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Texas Roadhouse comes to Bluffs
A Texas Roadhouse restaurant is coming to Council Bluffs.

The national chain, famous for its in-house, hand-cut steaks, has taken out the necessary building permits at the Marketplace, located along South 24th Street just south of Interstate 29/80.

“In Iowa, we have six restaurants already and so this will be the seventh,” said Travis Doster, company spokesman. “Our founder, Kent Taylor, still selects every single site. We feel it’s a great fit.”

Construction of the stand-alone restaurant should begin in the second week of July, Doster said.

“We’re looking at a late November opening,” he said. . . .
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

icejammer wrote:Texas Roadhouse comes to Bluffs
A Texas Roadhouse restaurant is coming to Council Bluffs.

The national chain, famous for its in-house, hand-cut steaks, has taken out the necessary building permits at the Marketplace, located along South 24th Street just south of Interstate 29/80.

“In Iowa, we have six restaurants already and so this will be the seventh,” said Travis Doster, company spokesman. “Our founder, Kent Taylor, still selects every single site. We feel it’s a great fit.”

Construction of the stand-alone restaurant should begin in the second week of July, Doster said.

“We’re looking at a late November opening,” he said. . . .

thanks icejammer.
Go Cubs Go
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

thenewguy wrote:Texas Roadhouse is set to break ground the second week of July and plans to be open this fall.  The article in the paper said that they would employ roughly 150 jobs at first.  Restaurant is set to be about 7,000 square feet.

I would guess this will be located right to the North of Culver's.  They have been doing grading on area there this week.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

nebugeater wrote:
thenewguy wrote:Texas Roadhouse is set to break ground the second week of July and plans to be open this fall.  The article in the paper said that they would employ roughly 150 jobs at first.  Restaurant is set to be about 7,000 square feet.

I would guess this will be located right to the North of Culver's.  They have been doing grading on area there this week.

I think you're right.  With as much commitment as there has been to Metro Crossing, I'm glad to see activity at The Marketplace; I am more partial to how it was developed.
Go Cubs Go
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Texas Roadhouse looks about complete from the exterior.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Yeah, I think they might be able to open a little earlier than originally scheduled, but we'll see if they do or not.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Forgot to post this earlier, but Texas Roadhouse is set for grand opening on November 29.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

The first taste of Texas-sized steaks
Council Bluffs’ first Texas Roadhouse will officially open Monday, but before the first guests walk in the door the restaurant rolled out the red, white and blue carpet for several local organizations.

This week, as the restaurant trained new cooks, meat cutters and other kitchen team members, local police and firefighters were the first to try the restaurant’s hand-cut steaks, ribs and made-from-scratch sides.

On Friday and Saturday, the restaurant hosted invitation-only pre-opening events and raised money for Children’s Square USA. . . .

The restaurant officially opens its doors in the Marketplace at 3231 S. 24th St., on Monday, from 4 to 10 p.m. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

From the Nonpareil:
The Marketplace Shopping Center on South 24th Street could soon have new ownership with plans to expand the center, pending approval of some financial issues by the Council Bluffs City Council Monday evening.

Red Development, also known as Red Legacy, of Kansas City, Mo., has an option to purchase the 250,000-square-foot center and add 155,000 square feet to it,....“They’ve developed Village Pointe and Shadow Lake,” he said.

With council approval, the sale should be finalized in the fall, Gross said. The new owner would seek out new leases to fill the current mall, as well as expand the center, he said. Three new restaurants, including a Chick-Filet, are planned for the center, along with small shops complementing the two anchors, Shopko and J.C. Penney, Gross said. These shops could include apparel, shoes, crafts and a sporting goods store.
http://www.nonpareilonline.com/news/loc ... a72bc.html
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

About time. Chick fil a was a rumor from way back and they thought dicks or a store like it were set for the area. personally i like the area at 24th better because of access and traffic congestion, i just hope more goes in to fill holes.
Go Cubs Go
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

thenewguy wrote:About time. Chick fil a was a rumor from way back and they thought dicks or a store like it were set for the area. personally i like the area at 24th better because of access and traffic congestion, i just hope more goes in to fill holes.
Chik-Fil-A wasn't a rumor, the company purchased land 2 or 3 years ago with intent to build a restaurant, but for whatever reason has chosen to not yet develop that land.  Anyway, I hope this group does better at development than Magnum did, there's plenty of potential due to location.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Marketplace to change hands this fall
The Marketplace Shopping Center along South 24th Street by late September should be under new ownership that plans on pursuing retail stores new to the area, officials said Monday.

“We want to pursue stores not already here,” said Wes Grammer, vice president of development for Red Legacy. “Our goal is to bring new names to the market.”

The Kansas City, Mo.-based company received approval by the Council Bluffs City Council Monday evening on tax breaks to help fund the expansion of the center to 400,000 square feet from its current 250,000 square-feet size. . . .

New stores Red Legacy might pursue would be women’s apparel, athletic shoes/apparel, a bookstore, a craft store, a children’s apparel shop, even a sit-down restaurant, Grammer said.

The council’s action Monday evening involved renegotiating the development agreement originally approved between the City and Magnum. This includes extending tax increment financing privileges from 2021, the time given to Magnum to help pay for the development, to 2029 for Red Legacy, though company officials indicated it could be paid off sooner. Tax increment financing, or TIF, is basically a tax rebate to the developer over a period of years to help pay the costs of improvements.

--William Jennings Bryan
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

A bookstore?  What is that?
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

nativeomahan wrote:A bookstore?  What is that?
I think it's like a brick and mortar Amazon. lol

I'm actually surprised they'd open a new bookstore seeing how most of them are closing these days.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:A bookstore?  What is that?
I think it's like a brick and mortar Amazon. lol

I'm actually surprised they'd open a new bookstore seeing how most of them are closing these days.
maybe it is local?
Go Cubs Go
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Council OKs some Marketplace requests, but not all
The company that wants to purchase the Marketplace Shopping Center went before the Council Bluffs City Council Monday evening to address some issues before it officially signs off on the purchase agreement. The issues include signage, building reconfiguration and a new access point into the center on South 24th Street.

The council approved four of the six requests made by Red Legacy of Kansas City, Mo. The one issue Red Legacy wanted the most, a right-in/right-out driveway on 24th Street, was denied . . . .

The council also denied the request for a sign on the corner of South 24th Street and 34th Avenue.

The council did approve the company’s request for allowing more sign panels on the large mall sign by the interstate. It also approved some slight reconfigurations of proposed buildings in the mall. . . .

City Attorney Richard Wade said the main development agreement between the city and Red Legacy has been approved by both sides and the company was scheduled to sign the purchase by the end of September.

The council has already provided the company with tax breaks to fund the expansion of the center to 400,000 square feet from its current 250,000 square-feet size.

--William Jennings Bryan
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Reports are saying that it was officially sold.
debradomayer
Library Board

Re: The Marketplace: S. 24th St and I-80

Post by debradomayer »

Notided today that DEB shop has a store closing banner on it. I know they filed bankruptcy in December, but I thought it was for reorganization
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

debradomayer wrote:Notided today that DEB shop has a store closing banner on it. I know they filed bankruptcy in December, but I thought it was for reorganization

DEB is gone worldwide. They officially closed all stores a couple weeks ago, stating they'll close each store as inventory runs out. Even on their site, They are having a liquidation sale
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Probably cound start another thread, or maybe there is one but I didn't find it.

What is being built along 24th St by Hwy 275? There is major dirt work going on on both sides of Hwy 275 but what I am referring to is on the N side. There were a lot of Concrete pumpers there today and trucks rolling in and out.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:Probably cound start another thread, or maybe there is one but I didn't find it.

What is being built along 24th St by Hwy 275? There is major dirt work going on on both sides of Hwy 275 but what I am referring to is on the N side. There were a lot of Concrete pumpers there today and trucks rolling in and out.
Its that cold storage facility.

http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.p ... e+facility
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

New stores coming to Marketplace shopping area
Construction is underway on 25,000 square feet of retail space that’ll house Boot Barn and Party City at the 24th Street commerce location, according to owner Legacy Development.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Just odd that they are building all new instead of taking the vacant store fronts
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

I don't think the existing storefronts are large enough. Deb was only 7500 sq. ft. and it is the largest vacant space.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I saw this last weekend. Crazy that they are adding all those bays when there a ton of empty ones next to JCPenney. Hopefully they have all their tenants lined up already.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Boot Barn appears to be open.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The World Herald finally reports on the 2 Shopkos closing. Sounds like they are closing at the end of January. The one in CB opened in 2009.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Jo-Ann fabrics coming soon (by jcp)
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

I live behind Marketplace, and noticed over the weekend heading to Casey's that a trailer is parked in the old Shopko's parking lot with a banner on it that says At Home is going in there.
advcomp2019
Home Owners Association

Post by advcomp2019 »

Turtle9160 wrote:I live behind Marketplace, and noticed over the weekend heading to Casey's that a trailer is parked in the old Shopko's parking lot with a banner on it that says At Home is going in there.
I just relooked at the marketing brochure for this, and it is saying that the old Shopko was going to be Burlington Coat Factory, Torrid, and Ross. So I wonder AtHome gave them a bit more money or a better deal for that space, then. I know I see that AtHome has openings for a Council Bluffs store.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

At Home store to move into former Shopko location at The Marketplace
The 80,000-square-foot former Shopko location is being renovated to make way for the new At Home store by Parkway Construction and Architecture of Louisville, Texas.

Jake Bradshaw, Parkway’s project manager for the Council Bluffs project, said work began on the remodeling and renovation of the building on March 5. He said At Home’s anticipated opening date is June 6. Hours for the new store will be from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Saturday and from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Sunday.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

At Home should be open in the coming days, if it is not already.
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

nativeomahan wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:39 pm At Home should be open in the coming days, if it is not already.
It opened Wednesday.
BIGO88
Home Owners Association

Post by BIGO88 »

Not sure if this has been posted somewhere or not but it looks like a chic-fil-a will be coming here.

thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

my my, that will certainly back traffic up a ways.
Go Cubs Go
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

thenewguy wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 1:48 pmmy my
Joe Kenda, is that you?!