Quaker Steak and Lube

Including Iowa metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

icejammer
County Board

Quaker Steak and Lube

Post by icejammer »

Interesting name for a restaurant!  A nice addition to the MAC area...

New racing-themed restaurant planned
The city's Planning Commission Tuesday unanimously approved the plans for Quaker Steak & Lube to be located at 23rd Avenue and Mid-America Drive.

If the City Council approves the matter at its next meeting, scheduled for Nov. 27, construction could start in December, weather permitting, and be open for business next June, said Chris Morris, the franchise owner.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
skibum21
New to the Neighborhood

Post by skibum21 »

I ate at one of these in Dayton, OH.  Was pretty good, despite my reluctance to enter a resturant with such a strange name and appearance.  It was packed on a weeknight.

I suppose this will be a stand alone, or is it going in the empty strip mall?
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

I believe it will be to the east of Ruby Tuesday, haven't heard for sure which outlot though.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Council approves plan for racing themed restaurant
A planned motor sports-themed restaurant in Council Bluffs should be popular, a landscape architect for the project said.

"It has done well (in the) South," said Brian Leaders of the Schemmer Associates. "That racing image, people like that now."

The City Council Monday night approved the plans for Quaker Steak & Lube to be located on the southwest corner of 23rd Avenue and Mid-America Drive.

The décor will feature real motorcycles hanging from the walls and race cars hoisted up on lifts just like at a gas station with room for diners underneath them, Leaders said.

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Sounds Cool

Show #152
http://www.growomaha.com/archive.htm
About 35 min in to the show.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I believe this is the Quaker Stake and Lube:

icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Well, the sign's been reading 'Open July 2007', and here we are, almost the end of July....

This place is getting close, I was hoping to hear news of an official opening date today, but it's getting close...it's looking nice.

--William Jennings Bryan
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

http://www.quakersteakandlube.com/defau ... ncilbluffs

The corp. web site says OPENING AUGUST 2007
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Workers continue construction on the dining area of Quaker Steak & Lube Friday morning as race cars are suspended from the ceiling. The restaurant, which offers a variety of foods including burgers and hot wings, will open later this month.

A couple recent photos from the Nonpareil

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Guests sample fare at Quaker Steak & Lube
Ladies and gentleman, start your engines and head on down to the new Quaker Steak & Lube, 3320 Mid-America Drive. . .

At a pre-opening celebration Monday night, the 8,700 Square Foot, Quaker Steak & Lube was host to invited guests and media to give them a chance to see the inside, which includes cars mounted on the ceiling, a television surrounded by steel on the floor, at the entrance, black-and-white checkered floors, and NASCAR-themed carpeting. . . .

The Quaker Steak & Lube Council Bluffs location has 200 employees and seats 500 people. The checkered flag will be waved Wednesday at 3 p.m.
A replica of famous NASCAR driver Dale Earnhardt’s Goodwrench Chevrolet hangs above the bar inside Quaker Steak and Lube. The restaurant has a different auto theme for each section and offers 17 varieties of chicken wings.

--William Jennings Bryan
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I think this is fabulous... although it's hard to deny the theme which is emerging here... RV accessories... NASCAR... fishing...  no doubt the area is establishing itself as a premier 'destination' for a certain segment of the population (well represented in this part of the country of course)  :)
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Stargazer wrote:no doubt the area is establishing itself as a premier 'destination' for a certain segment of the population
I think I "get it" now. :)

Looking a the building (I pass it once a week usually) I had figured with the big "EAT" motif, paradigm of the stereotypical 1950s  greaso-spoono on a 2-lane somewhere in Ohio :) that it would be truck-stop fare, comfort food and the like. Looking at the menu it looks more like what I would call bar food.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Stargazer wrote:I think this is fabulous... although it's hard to deny the theme which is emerging here... RV accessories... NASCAR... fishing...  no doubt the area is establishing itself as a premier 'destination' for a certain segment of the population (well represented in this part of the country of course)  :)
So you really think all those race fans from West O will travel this far east?   :;):

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Update:

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I ate over at the Steak and Lube last week before a Lancers Game.  Normal sports bar food even though it was a theme restaurant.  I had a burger that was good.  Neat place, its kind of funny that everyone walks around looking up at the stuff, I was just waiting for someone to trip.  They had the Lube Tube.  Its a 100oz tube filled with beer and has a tap on the bottom.  Apparently you have to share it because you can't order one by yourself.

I would go back again.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Coming up on the one-year anniversary next week, seems that business has been good.

Bikers flock to Quaker Steak & Lube every Wednesday
One might say this is truly-fast food.

For the speed enthusiast and the merely curious, a visit to Quaker Steak & Lube is bound get everyone's appetite revved up.

There are motorcycles galore hanging from the ceiling, racing cars and classic models on lifts, even the shell of a Corvette sideways on a wall. . . .

There's a retail shop with racing-related items, and 19 televisions ensure everyone has a chance to watch their favorite sports, including NASCAR, of course.

What's more, there are special events that bring people from all over the metro area to the restaurant at 3220 Mid-America Drive to see and be seen.

Every Wednesday evening, for example, hundreds of motorcycle enthusiasts come ... and come ... and keeping coming to show off their bikes, talk shop with others, enjoy food and refreshments, buy related merchandise and generally enjoy good times with live bands or a deejay supplying the music. . . .

It began with promotions on the radio, then it spread by word-of-mouth to the point where 500, even up to 850 bikers, now come to enjoy their passion with others. . . .

There seems to be something going almost every day. Thursday nights are Classic Car Nights, while Mondays between 4 and 9 p.m. are Kids Night and Tuesdays it's all the wings you can eat all day long, according to Neun.

There are different rooms in the "Lube," including the Handlebar where motorcycles hang from the roof near the Vette Room where patrons can enjoy viewing classic cars as well as their food. Thunder Alley displays a NASCAR racing vehicle that includes a chassis that was once on a car driven by the legendary Dale Earnhardt. The Brickyard is an indoor-outdoor room that features a garage door that opens up. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan