Joe's Carpet now Joe's Karting

Including Iowa metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

icejammer
County Board

Joe's Carpet now Joe's Karting

Post by icejammer »

Not sure what happened to the original post about this, but plans have been submitted now:

Joe's Carpet to roll out new Bluffs store
A new carpet warehouse is planned for Council Bluffs. Joe's Carpet has submitted plans with the city for a 25,200-square-foot building east of the Star Cinema at South 32nd Street and 21st Avenue. The 140-foot-by-193-foot single-story building will include storage and display areas.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Mr. Cox
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Mr. Cox »

Anyone know what happened to this?  I thought the building that had been under construction right next to the Star Cinema was going to be their location.  But now it looks like it's up for sale.

http://www.heartlandproperties.com/deta ... ls=7002442

Did they pull out, or was I wrong about their location?[/b]
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Hmmm, sounds like the rug got pulled out from the original plans, eh?  Not sure what's transpired with this, but nice catch on the listing, I hadn't seen that.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

It seems like I saw an add in either the Nonpareil or World Herald for employment opportunities at Joe's Carpet in CB.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Looks like Joe's Carpet will be opening shortly, they have their name up on the building now in big letters.

--William Jennings Bryan
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

I heard an ad on the radio Tuesday that said they were open.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Joe's Carpet is open for business
Joe Weber built a 24,000 square foot building at 2121 S. 32nd Street, stuffed it full of flooring materials and called it Joe's Carpet, after the five other stores he owns in the region.

"We saw what was happening in Council Bluffs and thought we needed to be a part of it," Weber said.

The doors are now open and according to their policy, every day is a sale day.

"Joe's Carpet is a division of Weber Carpet, a 35-year old company," Weber said. "Weber Carpet is a full service store and we're more of a cash and carry warehouse." . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
thenewguy
County Board

Joe's Carpet? Joe's Karting.

Post by thenewguy »

Joe's Carpet will be Joe's Karting.  Supposed to open sometime in July, according to the sign on the outside of the building.  I don't know if it has opened yet, but the sign's been up for a couple of months.  Good get, if it pans out.
Go Cubs Go
Brad
City Council

Re: Joe's Carpet? Joe's Karting.

Post by Brad »

thenewguy wrote:Joe's Carpet will be Joe's Karting.  Supposed to open sometime in July, according to the sign on the outside of the building.  I don't know if it has opened yet, but the sign's been up for a couple of months.  Good get, if it pans out.
I believe I heard through the grapevine that the carting place over at Rod Kush's place on 72nd street was a partnership with Rod and another guy.  The other guy got upset at Rod and is now Opening Joe's Carting.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

that's cool.  I believe it stands to do better as Joe's Karting than it did as Joe's Carpet.  And they only have to change 1/2 the sign.
Go Cubs Go
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

thenewguy wrote:that's cool.  I believe it stands to do better as Joe's Karting than it did as Joe's Carpet.  And they only have to change 1/2 the sign.
Not even Joe's Karting  Slide the "T" down and you are only replacing 4 letters
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Brad wrote:
thenewguy wrote:that's cool.  I believe it stands to do better as Joe's Karting than it did as Joe's Carpet.  And they only have to change 1/2 the sign.
Not even Joe's Karting  Slide the "T" down and you are only replacing 4 letters
Is it a K or a C?  I thought the sign had a K?  Like it was in National Indoor Karting, from way back when?  Doesn't matter i guess, as long as it's worth a poop!
Go Cubs Go
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

drove by at 5:30 this morning and they had changed out the "Carpet" for "Karting" on the sign for Joe's.  Shouldn't be long before it's open...if not already.

http://www.joeskarting.com/
Go Cubs Go
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

It's open now, went to the movies this weekend and the OPEN sign was on.

--William Jennings Bryan
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

i called the other day, and the guy on the phone said that it's $12.50 per race, and each race is 15 laps.  If it's a good sized track that'd be worth it.
Go Cubs Go
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

thenewguy wrote:i called the other day, and the guy on the phone said that it's $12.50 per race, and each race is 15 laps.  If it's a good sized track that'd be worth it.
Really?  That seems really high!  For that price that track better go from Joe's, to Quaker Steak, to Bass Pro, to The Horse Shoe, to Hooters, and back to Joe's!

For some reason, once I turned 16 Go karts lost their appeal.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Brad wrote:
thenewguy wrote:i called the other day, and the guy on the phone said that it's $12.50 per race, and each race is 15 laps.  If it's a good sized track that'd be worth it.
Really?  That seems really high!  For that price that track better go from Joe's, to Quaker Steak, to Bass Pro, to The Horse Shoe, to Hooters, and back to Joe's!

For karting, i don't think it's entirely out of line.  When i was younger & NIK was open still, i think we were paying like $15 for 12 laps.  I know i spent $75 in a night, and my brother spent over $100.  However, now that i'm getting a little older, it seems to be priced a hair on the excessive side.
Go Cubs Go
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

thenewguy wrote:
Brad wrote:

For karting, i don't think it's entirely out of line.  When i was younger & NIK was open still, i think we were paying like $15 for 12 laps.  I know i spent $75 in a night, and my brother spent over $100.  However, now that i'm getting a little older, it seems to be priced a hair on the excessive side.
According to their website, it is 12.50 for 20 laps, not 12.  Anything below $1 a lap is about right for carting.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

well that's good to hear.  The guy on the phone didn't sound very sure.
Go Cubs Go
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

It is $12.50 for 15 laps.  You have to pay an annual fee of $7 also.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

New business tests drivers’ skills on go-kart track
There’s a new business in Council Bluffs that’s really on the move.

It’s Joe’s Karting, and people are coming in to experience the thrill of go-karting. . .

Joe’s Karting offers 23,000 square feet of track. A “shot blaster” was used on the regular cement floor to make it rougher for better traction, Turner said, and the ventilation system offers three times the air cycling required to make sure the air is always fresh and clean.

After putting on the required head socks and helmets and strapping on the seat belts, drivers can head for the racing area. They maneuver around various turns and along several straight-aways where they can reach speeds of 45 miles per hour. The go-karts come from England and feature engines offering 9 hp., bigger than the standard models of 6.5 hp. . . .

As far as pricing, a Hot Laps session that covers about 20 laps is $12.50. The basic annual membership is $7 and includes a head sock and a free Hot Laps session on the person’s birthday.

Joe’s “VIP” membership includes two Hot Laps sessions per month and a free Hot Laps birthday session. Joe’s Big Daily Deal offers three Hot Laps sessions for one driver for just $34.95. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

My brother drives dirt track and when he went there, he said it was pretty awesome.  He got the 3 sessions for $34, and said it was well worth the time.  I'm thinking of going down there to see if i can crack the top 10.
Go Cubs Go