Camping World

Including Iowa metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

icejammer
County Board

Camping World

Post by icejammer »

Well, this is one rumor that has panned out for this area, although a little east of where I was expecting it...

Camping World coming to Bluffs
A recreational vehicle superstore is planned for Council Bluffs' growing Interstate corridor.

The store for Camping World, which bills itself as the world's largest supplier of RV accessories and camping equipment, would be built between 27th Avenue and Interstate 29-80. The 5-acre site is east of South 24th Street.

The store would be about 20,000 square feet, with room for expansion. Construction would start in March, and the store could open by August.
and
Investment company Oppidan, of Minnetonka, Minn., is the project developer. Claudia Ryan, one of the developers, said the Bluffs project will cost $5 million, and the store will employ between 30 and 50 people.

Ryan said the Interstates that intersect in Council Bluffs are heavily traveled by RVs.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

This is pretty sweet.  Not as flashy as the Bass Pro but its still something big coming.  Its amazing how the entire corridor is being transformed.  I think it should fit in nicely.
15-17, 26, 32
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

No |expletive|.
DTO
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Great point on the CWS!

From an article in today's Nonpareil:
The council will be asked to approve a development agreement in which the company would make improvements to 21st Street for better access to the store.

Camping World, which already has 61 stores across the country, wants to build up to 25 new ones, including one in Council Bluffs, this year, Ryan said. There's still architectural designs and related issues to be reviewed by the city, but if everything goes as planned, construction could start in March and be open for business in mid-July, Ryan said.

The store would like to hire between 30 and 50 full-time employees, she said.

"Camping World wants to be in Council Bluffs," Ryan said. "You're right on the edge of two states and there's a lot of traffic that goes by. There's high visibility. We're very excited. It's a great company, and the city has been phenomenal to work with."

[/b]
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Daily Nonpareil wrote:The City Council Monday night approved the replatting of land on five-plus acres between 27th and 29th avenues, west of South 21st Street.

The replatting will create two lots. Camping World, a retail outlet for sales, installation and service of recreational vehicles and accessories is already under construction on one of the lots.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Camping World latest C.B. newcomer
. . . Don Gross said Camping World will move into a new $1.8 million building, going up on the east side of 24th Street, north of Interstate 29-80 and Interstate 29 near the Best Western Crossroads of the Bluffs motel.

"It's one of the benefits of having Bass Pro here," Gross said. "Camping World seems to show up right after Bass Pro." . . .
[center]Image
The building rising on the construction site east of 24th Street north of Interstate 29-80 will house Camping World.[/center]

--William Jennings Bryan
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Nice.  I'll probably eventually be a customer.

I'm still looking for one of these cute little 13 foot fiberglass Scamp trailers to buy.  If anyone sees one for sale in the area ... let me know!

Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Well, after weeks and months of seemingly sporadic activity on the site, today (yesterday actually) was unfurled announcing...

NOW OPEN!

It looks like they'll have a small lot with campers, but no campers so far.  Hope to check this store out soon.

--William Jennings Bryan
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Good timing... after an 18 hour drive over this past weekend, I became a prospective customer... ain't she cute...

icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Nice, where did you find "her"?

--William Jennings Bryan
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

That's pretty cool Jeff. One of those behind my new Liberty would be sweet. I'm thinking my mileage pulling that would be closer to the big rigs than your Honda though. :oops:
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Thanks wags.

You didn't get rid of the Maxima did you?  Perhaps the Liberty is your 'winter car' ? :)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That should work out good for some of your stargazing expeditions!
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Yeah Jeff the Nissan went in on trade. I actually came out ahead on that deal so that was good. I got the Liberty to haul photos and related gear around for hitting the art shows. The 4x4 is extra bonus in bad weather and/or a foot of mud.  :;): Anyways, back to camping world.