JCP Leaving MOTB, Going to The Marketplace

Including Iowa metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

JCP Leaving MOTB, Going to The Marketplace

Post by Guest »

The JC Penneys store at the Mall of the Bluffs will be closing and relocating to The Marketplace at I-80 and S. 24th Street to become the large anchor there.  Several years back JCP was ready to double the size of their store at the mall, but the mall threw a monkeywrench in those plans, so managment was more than willing to listen to Magnum about moving to The Marketplace.

Post by Guest »

I guess that would probably be as good a candidate for a 'upscale department store' as any.

icejammer can't be happy about this.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Appreciate the post and info...  but even a veteran like me could decipher the title of the thread without reading the post.  Suggest an adjustment for that.
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks for that info guest!

Post by Guest »

Keep on bitchen' MTO.  It's what you do best.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Thanks for the tip guest, I'm not sure why anyone would think I wouldn't like this though.  A little disappointing that it isn't a "more" upscale store, but it's good for Penney's and the average Bluffs consumer, the current store is very limited, less than half the space they would have at the Marketplace.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan

Post by Guest »

lol a little late for this rumor, check the council bluffs forum.

Post by Guest »

I heard from a lady that works at the JCPenney in CB that indeed they were moving to the Marketplace, and that Sears and Dillards were moving out too.  I don't know if they are moving to the Marketplace too, or if they are moving to Metro Crossing (I didn't ask).  She was quite chatty about it, but said she really shouldn't be saying anything.  She said they still had a lot of dirt to move, so it wouldn't be this year that they move. That pretty much seems to be the end of the Mall, which needed an overhaul a decade or so ago.  On the other hand, that is the area where the higher income housing is too.[/u]
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Thanks for the info guest.  Although I wouldn't put much stock in the Dillard's rumor just yet - they've been rumored to be moving/closing/relocating for the past 15  years and they still haven't, plus the Metro Crossing plans currently don't have any pads that would allow for a store of equal or greater size - I can't see them downsizing.  As for Sears, I would think the same holds true.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan

Post by Guest »

I don't put much stock in any of these rumors.  Most of Council Bluffs new development is east of the bluffs isn't it??

If anything, I'd see a second store being opened up.  Mall of the Bluffs is 5 miles from where the Marketplace will be.  There are entirely different market areas.
lisanstan
Library Board

JCP Stand Alone Stores

Post by lisanstan »

Before we moved to Omaha last year, I worked at JCP Corp HQ in Plano.  All the mall dept stores are competing against Kohl's, hence the new JCP stand alone store with the racetrack layout.  Expect to see more of these (like in Shadow Lake) and less new mall anchor stores.

Of course the new trend seems to be the outdoor "lifestyle" center.  This I understand in the south and west.  In snow country, it's crazy.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I would consider this an acknowledgement of a significant, and to now relatively ignored, retail market in east Omaha.[/quote]

Certainly true to an extent, but also the more than doubling of retail space and ability to offer a full-service store, as opposed to the current store at Mall of the Bluffs is a huge incentive to move as well.  Certainly the demand is there for the full-service offerings of a JC Penneys.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Aaaaaaaaand it's official:

Bluffs J.C. Penney moving to new shopping center

J.C. Penney will leave the Mall of the Bluffs and relocate to a new shopping center planned for South 24th Street, a developer has told city leaders. During a Planning Commission meeting Tuesday, an official with Magnum Development Corp. confirmed the move will take place
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... id=2363530
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Well, it's "almost" official...

JC Penney plans on the record
It may have been one of the worst kept secrets in Council Bluffs, but it appears this one has moved past the rumor stage.

JC Penney, already mentioned at a Planning Board meeting as a possible anchor at the New Marketplace Council Bluffs, has filed permit applications with the city for footings and a building along South 24th Street. The address was not listed, but the plans are for the area where the Marketplace is under development. . .

Deb Ash of Magnum Development, the Omaha-based firm that is behind Marketplace Council Bluffs, said tax increment financing for the development is scheduled for discussion at Monday's City Council meeting and JC Penney can be expected to be mentioned during that hearing.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Bluffs not penalizing project for luring away store
The City Council on Monday unanimously approved up to $5.5 million in property tax incentives for the Marketplace shopping center over 12 years.

But the council did not include a provision in the agreement that would have made it more difficult for the developer to receive the full amount of the incentives.

The provision had been proposed after some Planning Commission members earlier this year questioned whether a project should get certain financial incentives if it was simply moving a major store from one part of the city to another. . .

She said the new J.C. Penney store at the Marketplace will be 104,175 square feet - about double the size of the existing mall store. The new store, Ash said, would have a value of $8.8 million, compared with around $2.3 million for the mall location.

Grading is almost complete, and construction on the new J.C. Penney should start next month, with a planned opening in March 2008. Some other shopping center stores, such as women's boutiques, also will open next March, Ash said.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

New JC Penney to open in 2008
Ground will be broken July 10 for a large JC Penney Store at The Marketplace - Council Bluffs, a developer said Monday night.

The store will be the main anchor for the shopping center planned for the east side of the newly widened South 24th Street, stretching from the Interstate-80 right of way south to 34th Avenue.

The new JC Penney Store will provide 104,175 square feet of retail space, more than double the size of its current Mall of the Bluffs location, said Deb Ash of Magnum Realty of Omaha.

"Penney's is due to open March 2, 2008," Ash said. . .

Ash said Penny's does have someone in mind to buy or lease the current Penney's location at the Mall of the Bluffs.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Now that this is official, we'll continue The Marketplace discussions in this thread:  http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5394

--William Jennings Bryan