New Council Bluffs Walmart

Including Iowa metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

formeromahan
New to the Neighborhood

New Council Bluffs Walmart

Post by formeromahan »

Hey Everyone, I heard a rumor the other day form several different people, that the Hy-vee on N. 16Th is moving to Broadway on the old Omaha Standard location. And that walmart is going to build a second location on N. 16Th where the old Hy-vee/ Goodman's buildings would be? Has anyone else heard this?

Post by Guest »

Yes, I heard this about quite some time ago.  I think it's a win/win for both locations, cause they could both use some updating.[/b]
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Aye, I've heard that rumor, but I hesitate to put a lot of stock in it, mostly because the access to the site is somewhat lacking for a Wal-Mart (and probably one reason Gordman's didn't do as well there as they do now at the Manawa Center).  Plus, there's about a dozen stores between the old Gordman's store and Hy-Vee, which would really complicate acquisitions for Wal-Mart.  Still, it could happen, and I could certainly see Hy-Vee making the move.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Guest2

2nd CB Walmart

Post by Guest2 »

Has anyone heard the rumor of WalMart building a second supercenter in CB?  Heard it was going on the old Gordman's site on North 16th St.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

That rumor is at least 5 years old and probably not realistic.

Still, the City is trying to get something going at that site, so we shall see.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

With all the Walmart Grocery Stores getting ready to go up all over Omaha, it wouldn't surprise me if they put one up there.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I have heard that rumor as well, and while it makes sense since Walmart typically builds near Interstates for higher visibility and easier access, I just can't see that area getting one because of the lower population base near that area.  I had lived near there most of my life and agree it would be nice, but I would certainly also like to see the area redeveloped into more housing, which might be the better use of that land.
MrM
New to the Neighborhood

Post by MrM »

Apparently at the August 22nd city council meeting one of the things on the agenda was to declare that area an urban renewal district. The agenda said someone has plans for a 15500o sq ft department/grocery store.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Walmart is looking up there but that 15500 is too small for their store.  The ones they are doing in Omaha are 35-42k.
MrM
New to the Neighborhood

Post by MrM »

I meant 155,000 sq. ft. Sorry.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

ah, must be the new smaller supercenter then.  There is certainly room for one up there.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

icejammer wrote:That rumor is at least 5 years old and probably not realistic.

Still, the City is trying to get something going at that site, so we shall see.
Here's an older version of the rumor:

http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... ht=walmart

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I merged the 2 together.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Another Walmart could come to Bluffs
Could there be another Walmart store coming to Council Bluffs?

The city council Monday evening will address a financial incentive requested by the nationwide firm.

According to information on the council’s agenda, the national retail chain has contracts for the acquisition of four parcels of property south of Nash Boulevard and North 16th Street and has proposed the construction of 155,400 square feet of retail space. . . .

Pending council approval, the so-called tax-increment-financing rebate would cover 10 years and the maximum the company would receive back from the city is $3 million. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I saw the Rendering.  I looked like the mart would be up on the north side where the hotel is or was and the store will face south.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Council mulls Wal-Mart proposal
Wal-Mart Stores Inc. has reduced the amount of financial assistance it wants from the city of Council Bluffs to bring a second retail store in the community, local officials said Wednesday. . . .

Wal-Mart is requesting almost a million less in tax increment financing rebates from local taxes, down from its original request of $5 million that was to come in the form of $3 million in TIF rebates from sales tax revenue in that area and similar rebates of $2 million from property taxes.

The Council Bluffs City Council postponed action at its last meeting to get more information on the project and to seek a more agreeable financial request. Several council members expressed concern that the $5 million amount was too high. . . .

Engineers for the company, Walsh said, have provided a rough, preliminary estimate of $10 million to clear the land for the store’s construction. They’ve also told him, Walsh added, that the estimate could be off 5 percent, maybe 10 percent. If the actual cost comes in less than $10 million, the company would be willing to take the difference off its most recent financial assistance request, he said. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Wal-Mart continues plans for a second store in Bluffs
In case local folks are wondering, Wal-Mart Stores Inc. is continuing its preparation to build a second store in Council Bluffs. . .

As city and store representatives continue to negotiate an acceptable financial assistance plan for the project, preliminary design plans have already come forth, according to Rose Brown, an official with the Community Development Department . . . .

--William Jennings Bryan

Post by Guest »

yes its finally gonna happen
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

From the Nonpareil:
Financial agreement near for building a second Walmart
The City Council unanimously approved a letter of intent ...
Wal-Mart Stores Inc. would acquire four parcels of land in that area, demolish existing structures and prepare the site for development. It would complete construction of the new store no later than Dec. 31, 2013.
Wal-Mart plans to construct a Super Center, totaling 184,000 square feet, near North 16th Street and Nash Boulevard, Jobeun said.The existing Walmart store in the Manawa Power Centre in the southern part of town totals 200,000 square feet
The anticipated opening is September 2013.
http://www.southwestiowanews.com/counci ... 963f4.html
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

Are they going to take the old plaza or just the old Gordmans, I know there a couple of stores still over there between the old HyVee and Gordmans stores
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I thought it was the old Hotel and Gordmans?
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

City Planning Commission OKs Walmart plan
A second Walmart store in Council Bluffs is moving closer to being built.

The city’s Planning Commission Tuesday approved the giant retailer’s development plans for a 186,528-square-foot Super Center at the southwest corner of Nash Boulevard and North 16th Street.

Pending City Council approval, construction could begin late this year or early 2013, with the opening set in the first or second quarter of 2014, commission members were told. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Public hearing on new Walmart set for Monday
. . . The City Council will hold a public hearing on a proposed development agreement between the city and the giant retailer for its planned new store on North 16th Street.

“They’re planning to build a 186,528 square-foot store,” said Don Gross, community development director. “We anticipate 300 full-time and part-time jobs.”

The proposed Super Store would be located in the 1700 block of North 16th Street by Nash Boulevard in the Bluffs Northway Shopping Center. Besides general retailing, the store will feature a pharmacy, a grocery, bakery, deli, optical, seasonal items like lawn/garden products, etc., except car care. The entry would face the south and feature the large glassy areas that are a part of the new look for the retailer. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Council Bluffs Walmart moves ahead
Walmart, which plans to build a 186,000-square-foot Supercenter at the southwest corner of Nash Boulevard and North 16th Street, has received two permits from Council Bluffs officials — one to demolish the old Gordmans and Super 7 hotel and a second to build the new retail and grocery center.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

New Walmart Super Store coming to North 16th Street in Council Bluffs
The landscape on North 16th Street in the Bluffs Northway Shopping Center is changing drastically in preparation for a new Walmart Super Store.

A motel building was recently razed, and workers are well underway in doing the same to the former Gordman’s Department Store, according to Steve Carmichael, the city’s chief building official. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I forgot to mention that.  I saw it on Saturday and they were flying through Demo!
advcomp2019
Home Owners Association

Re: New Council Bluffs Walmart

Post by advcomp2019 »

I was down by this site. It is still dirt and a small parking lot.

Another thing that I seen was part of the old Hy-Vee was missing. I have been trying to figure out what is going on with it. Are they going to make the strip mall larger or build part of a new strip mall and take down the old one?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

advcomp2019 wrote:I was down by this site. It is still dirt and a small parking lot.

Another thing that I seen was part of the old Hy-Vee was missing. I have been trying to figure out what is going on with it. Are they going to make the strip mall larger or build part of a new strip mall and take down the old one?
They have done way more site prep with this site than any other site I have ever seen in the metro. I am guessing because it's next to a swamp...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The pad for this new Walmart is looking close to ready finally. At lead more ready than I have seen it at any time up to this point.

They are also working on another spot out by the street south of the new walmart. May be a restaurant pad or something?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I drove by the new Walmart this weekend. It appears that the roof is nearly finished, but the north end of the building is not closed in yet. I am wondering what their anticipated opening date is. The parking lot is mostly finished. By looking at everything, it would seem like they would be ready to open by fall.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:I drove by the new Walmart this weekend.  It appears that the roof is nearly finished, but the north end of the building is not closed in yet.  I am wondering what their anticipated opening date is.  The parking lot is mostly finished.  By looking at everything, it would seem like they would be ready to open by fall.
I need to shoot a photo of it. I drive by a couple times a week, but never shoot it.
advcomp2019
Home Owners Association

Post by advcomp2019 »

While seeing if I could find a better date for the Walmart opening, I found out maybe why the pile of dirt is still there. Plus I am not sure if they are going to keep the old leftover scrip mall or not too. The way it sounds it will be torn down. The only thing that stays is the one half of the old Hy-Vee.

http://www.councilbluffs-ia.gov/AgendaC ... 132014-603" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

From the World Herald story this morning, it sounds like a January opening for the CB Walmart. (much later than anticipated earlier)
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Thats too bad. Walls and roof are up, looks pretty big. Driving by last weekend, i wouldnt have guessed a january opening.
Go Cubs Go
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Walmart Progress Pics
Attachments
20140808_175141.jpg
20140808_175141.jpg (29.14 KiB) Viewed 4932 times
20140808_175132.jpg
20140808_175132.jpg (35.11 KiB) Viewed 4932 times
20140808_175131.jpg
20140808_175131.jpg (36.15 KiB) Viewed 4932 times
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Thanks for the update shots Gabe!
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Was making a store call today at Walmart in CB, they said opening has been pushed to Feb 2015. Lots of issues being in a flood plain. Original plans were to open in Oct.
dpjohnson
New to the Neighborhood

Post by dpjohnson »

Not opening till February, huh? I wonder what this will mean for the CB Kmart? They took the "Big" part of the sign down from the outside; now it's just a regular Kmart.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

I was told that there was an article in the nonpareil about the walmart. I cant find the article, or anything new about this development, and they said walmart was looking to open in november, not february. has anyone heard this, or know what the time table is? they are hiring, so shouldnt be that far off id imagine.
Go Cubs Go
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

http://m.nonpareilonline.com/news/local ... l?mode=jqm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hiring 300 people for an early 2015 opening date