Harvester Artist Lofts and Gallery

Including Iowa metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

icejammer
County Board

Harvester Artist Lofts and Gallery

Post by icejammer »

A split-off from this thread: http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2966

Council approves bridge renovation, Artspace projects
The council also helped move the proposed artists' colony in the 1000 block of South Main Street forward by approving the land's rezoning from general industrial to high-density multi-family residential and approved a development agreement with the interested developer.

Minneapolis-based Artspace Projects Inc., with the Pottawattamie County Development Corp., wants to convert one of the two vacant International Harvester Buildings at 1000-1010 South Main St. into an affordable housing community for artists.

The building would be converted into 36 live/work housing units, nine working artist studios and gallery space with 54 enclosed parking spaces.

Total cost of the project is expected to be over $11.4 million. The development agreement proposes several financial incentives by the city. These include a 10-year tax increment financing rebate in the amount of $407,156 and the allocation of $145,000 of federal funds provided to the city under the HOME program. The action is contingent on the Iowa Finance Authority's approval of a low-income housing tax credit for the group. . .
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Artspace Projects Inc. created this rendering of proposed changes to the International Harvester building on South Main Street to create 36 living-working spaces and nine studios for artists.
Daily Nonpareil wrote:"Two sizeable grants of $1.7 million this round highlight the foundation's focus areas of social needs and economic development," said Todd Graham, executive director and CEO of the Iowa West Foundation.

" . . . is to partially fund the revitalization of a landmark building in the historic Implement District of Council Bluffs," he said.

. . . a grant of more than $1.7 million was awarded to Artspace Projects Inc. to support the planned renovation of an historic building into living and working space for artists. The building is in the former "implement district" of Council Bluffs along South Main Street. The project will include 36 live-work units and nine artist studios.

According to Heidi Kurtze of Artspace, a non-profit established in 1979 and headquartered in Minneapolis, this is the largest foundation grant in the non-profit's history.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Federal grants to fund street work
The renovation of older buildings in downtown Council Bluffs involves more than just the improvements on the structures. Nearby streets should also be up to par.

With that in mind, city officials received a boost this week when $297,000 in federal funds was made available.

"We plan to use the money to support infrastructure redevelopment of 10th Avenue and South Sixth Street," said Don Gross, director of the Community Development Department.

These streets are by the two vacant International Harvester buildings and need improvements, he said. . .

--William Jennings Bryan
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

What is the new construction to the south downtown Council Bluffs by "The Center"?  I'm having a heck of a time finding it on here (and after finally finding this, which is close in proximity i thought i would ask).  I thought for sure i read about it, i just don't know what it is.  I was driving down the south expressway and saw the new construction.  It looks to be pretty impressive, and with it being near the soon-to-be renovated buildings for this artscape project, i thought it may some how be tied together.
Go Cubs Go
wigster
New to the Neighborhood

Post by wigster »

What I know, or what I think you are asking about - are the senior housing/apartment building next to the 'senior center'. The builders were hoping to find a non-profit to obtain grants to off-set some of the construction costs. But I do not believe they found a taker. So I think they are now trying to find a business to take some of the commercial space available.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Moving forward with South Main Street development
The Iowa Architectural Foundation is facilitating a Community Design Program this weekend to help the city of Council Bluffs as they move forward with plans to develop the South Main Street District. . . .

The first issue involves Artspace Projects Inc., a non-profit organization based in Minneapolis, Minn., that plans to renovate the historic International Harvester building.

"With the recent announcement that Artspace will be purchasing and redeveloping 1000 S. Main into 35 live-work units this coming summer, we felt we should invite the Iowa Architectural Foundation to lead the community in a visioning process for the South Main district," Gross said.

The artist housing project, which includes nine studios, is expected to begin in September. It is being funded through a $1.7 million grant from the Iowa West Foundation.

"I believe the roadways and facilities adjacent to the building are antiquated," Gross said. "We intend to reconstruct 10th Avenue immediately north of that space." . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

The public is invited to learn more about the Harvester Artist Lofts project, an affordable live/work facility being developed in downtown Council Bluffs, on Wednesday evening.

The 90-minute meeting begins at 6:30 p.m. at Bayliss Park Hall, 530 First Ave.

The Harvester Artist Lofts will provide 36 units of affordable live/work housing in a former International Harvester warehouse at 1000 S. Main St.

The meeting is sponsored by Artspace Projects, Inc., the nonprofit developer of the planned housing development. Its representatives will be on hand to discuss the project and explain income qualification requirements for tenants.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Artists' lofts drawing interest
Some 200 people have already expressed interest in living in the proposed Harvester Artist Lofts south of Ninth Avenue.

The project would renovate one of two vacant International Harvester buildings at 1000 and 1010 S. Main St. into 36 units of affordable live/work housing and nine working studios.

"It's definitely something the community needs," local artist Brian Tait said during an informational meeting Wednesday evening.

He was among 70 people at Bayliss Park Hall to learn about the project, the tenant income requirements and the company behind it all. . . .

Construction is set for late September or October, Kurtze said, and will take about a year to complete.

"A year from this fall, we'll be moving folks in," she said. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

This looks like a great development for CB's Main Street.  That area's got a bright future.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Infrastructure work to begin in area around Artspace
Plans are in the works to make the long-vacant International Harvester building on 10th Avenue into a live/work artist environment that’s pretty as a picture.

It wouldn’t look quite right if the surrounding outdoor infrastructure wasn’t cleaned up, a local engineer said.

With that in mind, work will start soon on reconstruction of 10th Avenue between Sixth and Main streets. The city will install new sanitary and storm sewers, plus transfer power lines currently above ground to underground, said Randy Fehl, engineering manager for the Schemmer Associates. Then, a new concrete pavement will be poured and sidewalks that aren’t there now will be built, he added. New streetlights will be installed, also. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

good.  hopefully they can manage a nice connection between it and main street.  I'd love to see downtown blossom after all those years of neglect.
Go Cubs Go
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Artspace is a go
The Harvester Artist Lofts project in downtown Council Bluffs, delayed for nine months by the economic downturn, is now ready to proceed. Initial work will include demolition, street work and repairs to storm damage on the south addition, with interior rehabilitation construction to follow. . . .

“We were ready to break ground last September,” Michaelson said, “but the bottom dropped out of the tax credit market.” . . .

Financial closing took place July 10 and construction crews moved in this week. With construction expected to take about 14 months, Michaelson said the community can look forward to a grand opening sometime in the fall of 2010. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Artspace lofts showcased
What a work of art!

The Harvester Artspace Lofts at 10th Avenue and Main Street features live/work apartments for artists and their needs in what was once a long vacant old building.

“It was a big, empty warehouse with 1890s construction; it’s well over 100 years old,” said Andrew Michaelson, Artspace project manager. “It was mostly just storing goods.”

That’s not the case anymore, and the response from interested residents has been, one might say, “picture perfect.” Of the 36 residential units available, 12 have already been spoken for, said Roger Hale of Guardian Real Estate, which will manage the building. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Artists enjoy living in the inspiring environment at new Artspace lofts
. . . Powell is enjoying these features and many more at the new Artspace Lofts in the renovated International Harvester building at South Main Street and 10th Avenue.

He’s certainly not alone. Of the 36 units, 23 have already been leased; and the word has spread far and wide, according to Roger Hale, operations director for Guardian Real Estate that manages the property.

“I’ve had people from Sioux City, Grand Island, Neb., Lincoln, Neb. and Des Moines inquire about the lofts,” he said.

Even an artist from Los Angeles, who is moving back to Council Bluffs, heard about the lofts out there, Hale said. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

The changes over in Council Bluffs are impressive.  I really enjoy going over there to see all the great changes...
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

RockHarbor wrote:The changes over in Council Bluffs are impressive.  I really enjoy going over there to see all the great changes...
Yes, Council Bluffs has really worked to turn their image around.  And their efforts are bearing fruit.   :)
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

nativeomahan wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:The changes over in Council Bluffs are impressive.  I really enjoy going over there to see all the great changes...
Yes, Council Bluffs has really worked to turn their image around.  And their efforts are bearing fruit.   :)
Well, to me, they are doing a great job.  They have a great downtown, sitting nicely by the leafy Bluffs, and a lot to work with.  The I-80 corridor is so much nicer.  I've gotten into several conversations about CB's progress this past summer.  I really like those sharp, lighted, tall entrance posts on Broadway.  They look so "Frank Lloyd Wright."
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Harvester Building adds coffee shop, workspace
...Johnson and girlfriend Amber Jacobsen are the proprietors of Drips, a workspace and coffee shop located at the Harvester Artspace Lofts Building on Main Street in Council Bluffs. Since the summer, the pair have offered a space for the public to hang out, hold meetings and get work done...

--William Jennings Bryan
Coyote
City Council

Re: Harvester Artist Lofts and Gallery

Post by Coyote »

Artists display Tim Burton inspired work in Council Bluffs gallery

COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa (KMTV) — The Nightmare Before Christmas... Beetlejuice...Corpse bride... all Tim Burton movies. And all spooky-themed which makes it perfect to watch for a Halloween night in with the family. But local artists also share their love of the whimsical director's works at an art show called "Burtonesque." It features work inspired by the famed filmmaker. Emily Globe, property manager at Harvester Artist Lofts and Gallery, shared her thoughts on the Burton-themed gallery. "(It’s) just unbelievable, I love it, I think it came together so well and it's so interesting to see how people interpret different things and the different work by Burton which in itself is very creative,” she said. “So, it's really fun to see how people took from his creativity and turned it into their own and what they see in the films and it's really fun to see that come through." More than 20 local artists participated in this gallery at Harvester Artist Lofts and Gallery in Council Bluffs. It will make its return next Friday and Saturday for any fans of the legendary filmmaker who missed it this weekend.