River Park Apartments expansion

Including Iowa metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

The site is closely tied to the bridge becoming a reality. The scale will depend on the developer proposals, I would not count on the 1RC scale. There will be no marina, no lake. This is still a little ways off and dependeent on developer response. The city is working on the Frito-Lay site and something should be announced on that in the next few weeks (nothing that will excite this bunch!).
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Finn wrote:The city is working on the Frito-Lay site and something should be announced on that in the next few weeks (nothing that will excite this bunch!).
I can't think of anything that would be worse than leaving the Frito-Lay site as is, so just about anything would be exciting (although I have a pretty good idea what this is, and it shouldn't be a surprise to many people).
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

although I have a pretty good idea what this is, and it shouldn't be a surprise to many people
It will be apartments. At least it is residential (and already interest)! It will blend with the existing apartments toward the west. The study also recommended adding town homes along the golf course. We'll see.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

Finn wrote:
although I have a pretty good idea what this is, and it shouldn't be a surprise to many people
It will be apartments. At least it is residential (and already interest)! It will blend with the existing apartments toward the west. The study also recommended adding town homes along the golf course. We'll see.
A golf course, thats an awsome idea!
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

The study also recommended adding town homes along the golf course. We'll see.
It would be great if they pull that part off. A few weeks ago I came across this master plan that shows several locations for potential residential along (and in) the golf course:

Master Plan - Pedestrian Bridge Zone

I think the area to the south of Frito-Lay (site of the old driving range before they rebuilt the clubhouse) has the best chance of any of these sites to get built. I would love to see the other site in the middle of the course developed too - I can't imagine how many lost golf balls are sitting out there in that currently tall grass area, but I know how many I've put out there!
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

That is a dated map.
I think the area to the south of Frito-Lay (site of the old driving range before they rebuilt the clubhouse) has the best chance of any of these sites to get built.
That is the area for the town homes.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Yeah, I know that plan is a little dated, but I had never seen this one before (for the area south of 480 that is). I still think it would be great if they could squeeze some residential into those currently open spots on the course. I always figured the old driving range would be converted to residential when the time was right, but I had never envisioned the other areas in the course.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Just more confirmation of things to come at the Frito-Lay site:
Daily Nonpareil wrote:. . . In other business, the council approved the plans, specifications and cost estimate for the demolition of the former Frito Lay building in extreme western Council Bluffs.

The city has acquired the property at 3919 W. Broadway and wants to demolish it to prepare the site for future development.
Last edited by icejammer on Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

From the OWH:
The City Council also chose Anderson Excavating Co. of Council Bluffs to demolish the former Frito Lay plant at 3919 West Broadway for $134,000. The city plans to allow multifamily housing to be built on the site.
(Icejammer can probably give us any mention from the Daily Nonpareil)
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Developers bid for old Frito-Lay site
Two well-known development companies are competing to place apartments on the western edge of Council Bluffs.

Broadmoor Development Co. is proposing to build 186 apartment units on the site of the former Frito-Lay plant, just south of Interstate 480.

Another proposal from Seldin Co. and McNeil Co. would create 156 units on the site, with the possibility of adding about 96 more.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Dangnabbit, Finn beat me to the punch. :?

Here's the link to the Nonpareil story....

Apartment proposals on table
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

The Seldin proposal mentions five buildings in the first phase and that "there could be a mix of both rental and condominium units in the buildings." The feasibility study recommended townhomes on the eastern portion of the land. I would be interested to see the site plans, which will hopefully be pulished soon.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Well, still no word (i.e. leaks) on which proposal is being favored at this point, but I see they have put a large backhoe excavator on-site now, so I imagine we'll see all underground utilities removed in the next few weeks and the building shortly thereafter. Hopefully, we'll know who gets the bid by then.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Bluffs names developer for apartments at Frito-Lay site
Broadmoor Development Co. of Omaha has been selected to build an apartment complex on the site of the former Frito-Lay plant, just south of Interstate 480.

Broadmoor proposed building 186 apartment units in 10 buildings on the site.

Apartments would range in size. A one-bedroom apartment with 656 square feet would rent for about $675, according to preliminary figures. A two-bedroom apartment with 1,147 square feet would rent for about $950.

Construction could start in the spring, with completion by fall 2007.
What about the town homes??
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Council Bluffs currently owns the Frito-Lay property at 3919 West Broadway and plans to demolish the plant later this year. Broadmoor would purchase the land as part of its agreement.
Top-notch reporting by the OWH there. What, the writer couldn't drive a mile to see that the plant was already being demolished last week? :roll:

Not sure on the townhomes, doesn't sound promising at this phase.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

More on the Frito-Lay site:

Commission approves apartment complex plan
The Council Bluffs Planning Commission on Tuesday night approved a development plan for 184 multi-family units by Broadmoor Development Co. of Omaha. . .

If the City Council approves the development at its next meeting, Feb. 27, work could start in the spring and be finished by the summer of 2008, property manager Bob Stratton said. . .

The complex will feature 11 residential buildings and 76 attached garages, along with surface parking, lower level parking, a swimming pool and a volleyball court. Residents will have use of the clubhouse already in the current complex, Stratton said.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Update on the Frito-Lay site:

Proposal puts apartments on old Frito-Lay site
The City Council on Monday night will be asked to approve a development agreement with the Kooper-Fellman Partnership of Omaha for a 190-unit apartment complex to be built on the former Frito-Lay plant site at 3919 W. Broadway.

The proposal calls for 11 three-story buildings on nearly 11 acres. The 190 apartment units would be either one- or two-bedroom models with market-rate rental costs from $680 to $980.
According to the development agreement, the city, which owns that land, will sell it to the developers at the appraised value of $926,717.22. The city would also construct a new street, to be known as South 38th Street from the Interstate 480 frontage road to Fourth Avenue, he added.

All of the utilities, such as sewer and water extension to the project, would be the developer's responsibility, Gross said.

The agreement also includes a 12-year tax increment-financing rebate from the date of full completion in the amount of 60 percent of the captured tax increment financing on the project.

The completion date is set for January 1, 2009.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

New apartments receive go-ahead
The council approved a development agreement with the firm of Kooper-Fellman, which will purchase almost 11 acres of land from the city at the appraised value of $926,717. The agreement calls for the city to construct a new street for the project. The street would be known as South 38th Street from the Interstate 480 frontage road to Fourth Avenue. All of the utilities, such as sewer and water extension to the project, would be the developer's responsibility.

--William Jennings Bryan
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

This is a disappointment from what once was, but its good to get that denser development in the area.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

A disappointment? I'd much rather see the new apartments on the site than see (and smell) the Frito-Lay plant.

--William Jennings Bryan
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Clearly, the proposed apartments are better than the Frito Lay. I'm just being wistful about the ritzy ones which fell through.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

The condo towers? Those are (were) a different location.

--William Jennings Bryan
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

icejammer wrote:The condo towers? Those are (were) a different location.
Cool, I hope the towers get built when the bridge gets built. I thought the same thing as tuna. Thanks for clearing up the confusion.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Yes, it is good to see some new investment here. This was always going to be apartments and I concurred but damn it, I recommended a row of townhomes on the strip of land along the southwest edge of the property! They would have had a nice view of the golf course and it would have added a nice transition from the single-family neighborhood to the apartments.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Bringing back an old thread (actually, one split off from another)...

Although construction continues on several of the new apartment buildings on this site, some of the apartments opened to moving in last month.  Very nice, check 'em out sometime if you're in the market for a new apartment close to DT Omaha.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Some recent photos from the Nonpareil:

One of the completed units in the right background

From the golf course side

--William Jennings Bryan