100 Block Broadway

Including Iowa metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

icejammer
County Board

100 Block Broadway

Post by icejammer »

Part of the continuing effort to revitalize the historic downtown area, Pott. Co. Development Corp (PCDC) will close bids on the RFP for 100 Block Broadway this week, which includes renovation of the historic-eligible Ford building to include retail and residential and demolishing of the building northeast of it, replacing with retail and residential.  Selected developer should be announced within 6 weeks.  Hopefully, construction can begin late this fall, which will hopefully dovetail nicely with the City's planned West Broadway streetscaping efforts that should start next year.  Something like 25-30,000 sq ft of retail and 30 apartments on upper levels.  Should be a nice development for downtown.  PCDC has already begun removal of the c. 1960 building facade of the Ford building, looks nicer underneath than I though it would.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Icejammer, you have a photo or a map.  I am familiar with CB, but not that Familiar.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

If you're heading east on Broadway, going towards the Methodist Church (the one with the tall pointed spire), these buildings are on your right-hand side just prior to when you reach the church.  If you know where Bud's Hobby used to be, that's one of the buildings to be demolished.

153 W Broadway

Start with this parcel and move northeast up through 125 W Broadway - 125 and 133 W Broadway are the ones to be demolished, 149 and 153 W Broadway will be renovated.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I do know where Bud's was.... That place was so cool back in the day.

Thanks,
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

from a related article in today's Nonpareil:
. . .  The audience also heard plans for a $10 million proposal that may get started this year by the J Development Co. of Omaha to transform several buildings, owned by the Pottawattamie County Development Corp., on the south side of the 100 block of West Broadway into a mixed use including residential and commercial space.

--William Jennings Bryan
Hawkeye
Home Owners Association

Re: 100 Block Broadway

Post by Hawkeye »

icejammer wrote:Part of the continuing effort to revitalize the historic downtown area, Pott. Co. Development Corp (PCDC) will close bids on the RFP for 100 Block Broadway this week, which includes renovation of the historic-eligible Ford building to include retail and residential and demolishing of the building northeast of it, replacing with retail and residential.  Selected developer should be announced within 6 weeks.  Hopefully, construction can begin late this fall, which will hopefully dovetail nicely with the City's planned West Broadway streetscaping efforts that should start next year.  Something like 25-30,000 sq ft of retail and 30 apartments on upper levels.  Should be a nice development for downtown.  PCDC has already begun removal of the c. 1960 building facade of the Ford building, looks nicer underneath than I though it would.
Boy, does this ever fall squarely into the "it's about damn time!" category.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Not sure what the delays were, but things are moving along again...

Downtown facelift will begin today
A major transformation of a downtown Council Bluffs block is about to start, according to a city development official.

Workers were set to begin demolition this  morning on the former Christian Worship Center [i.e. the former Bud's Hobby] on the south side of the 100 block of West Broadway, said Andrea Kathol, business finance director for the Pottawattamie County Development Corp. . . .

Eventually, the store’s former location will be transformed into a mixed use of apartments with indoor parking and retail, Kathol said. The upper floor of the 42,000-square-foot structure will feature 17 loft-style apartments with 19 indoor parking spaces built on the south side of the lower level. On the Broadway side of the lower level, 14,000 square feet of retail space will be available.

“We’ve had overwhelming interest, and we haven’t even advertised it, yet,” Kathol said. . . .

She mentioned a three-story mixed use building that would complement the historic structures on the other side of the street.

“This is a major transformation,” Kathol said. “We’re undertaking one of the largest projects in downtown Council Bluffs in a long time.”

--William Jennings Bryan
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

Ah...I remember going to Bud's Hobby as a kid.  I LOVED going there.  Sounds like a great project for Downtown CB.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Ingersoll1978 wrote:Ah...I remember going to Bud's Hobby as a kid.  I LOVED going there.  Sounds like a great project for Downtown CB.
Bud was one of my grandfather's best friends and subsequently I spent a lot of time in that hobby shop too, especially from 1997 or so when my dad was the manager of Embassy Limousine just down the street. I would walk down to Bud's just to kill time and talk shop with them. I even made it out to the airfield a few times when they were flying their radio controlled airplanes.

Bud is a great guy, and even though my grandfather passed away he remained a family friend. I haven't spoken to him in a few years, but he's one of the first people I'll be tracking down when I'm back in Omaha applying at OPD.

Apparently he re-opened his shop too. I knew he closed down right around the time we moved to Florida but decided he missed it and wanted to open back up. I called the number though, and it was disconnected, so I'm not sure what the deal is there.

http://us.wowcity.com/carterlake/locbus ... -hobby.htm
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

We just have the two Hobby Town's left in the metro now... right?  Kind of sad.

I miss Bel-Air Hobby... the hobby shop in Benson was nice too.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Looks like a developer (Hughes Iron Facility Corporation, named for the original occupant of the building) will be selected shortly to begin renovation of the 2 buildings, with 13,000 sq. ft. commercial space, 17 apartments (down from the initial proposal) and 19 interior parking spaces.  Can't wait to see what the proposal will look like in final form.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Council approves property purchase
. . . A developer was also given the green light to move forward in acquiring properties at 149 and 153 W. Broadway. These properties have been occupied by furniture, second-hand retail and appliance sales stores in the past. The developer, Hughes Irons Facility Corp., has proposed renovating those properties into 13,000 square feet of commercial space, 17 residential apartments and 19 interior parking spaces. Estimated cost is $6.67 million and tax increment financing to help pay for that was also approved by the council. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Chamber to get new look in renovated Building
The Council Bluffs Chamber of Commerce is on the move – and it will soon be literally as well as figuratively.

The organization that promotes city tourism and overall economic growth, among its many duties, has signed a lease to rent space in the soon-to-be-renovated Hughes-Irons Building in the historic 100 Block of West Broadway. . . .

When completed, the chamber will lease 8,100 square feet of space on the first floor, he said. An additional 6,000 square feet of retail and commercial space will be available on the first floor. On the second floor, 17 one- and two-bedroom apartments will be available for rent, with heated indoor parking on the first floor for the residential units. . . .

The chamber will move from its current 3,000-square-foot building at 7 N. Sixth St. to its new location later this year. All chamber staff and affiliate organizations will be housed in offices designed to fit the historic nature of the building and present a first-class presence for its members and visitors to the community, Mundt said. . . .
An artist's rendition of how the former Hughes-Irons Building will look later this year when the Council Bluffs Chamber of Commerce moves its headquarters there.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

And on the opposing side of the street, some new retail moves in...

New business one of a kind
There’s a new business in town that’s one of a kind.

At least, that’s how Cindy Hoover describes her women’s clothing and jewelry store at 116 West Broadway.

It’s called All About Me and focuses on unique, one-of-a-kind styles. . . .

A grand opening, complete with a red carpet entry and champagne was held last Thursday attracting a capacity crowd.

“I think it’s a booming area,” Hoover said. “There’s a lot of traffic.”

“I wish her the best of everything,” Primmer said. “That area is badly in need of retail. I’m impressed with the quality and variety, and her prices are reasonable.” . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

Scooter's is opening a location in the 100 block of West Broadway early November.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Historic West Broadway has new tenants
A showplace for Council Bluffs put on quite a show Thursday afternoon.

Ribbon-cutting ceremonies were held at the new Council Bluffs Area Chamber of Commerce headquarters in the former Hughes-Irons Building in the historic 100 block of West Broadway. . . .

The new headquarters provides 8,400 square feet of office space for chamber activities, compared to 3,000 square feet at the old site at Sixth and West Broadway, Mundt said. . . .

A visitor’s center and a Scooter’s coffee shop are located in the main lobby. . . .

Upstairs, 11 one-bedroom and six two-bedroom apartments are open for occupancy with a waiting list already formed, Mundt said. Each apartment provides energy efficiency and comes with a washer/dryer.

Directly to the west, 6,000 square feet is available for a possible sit-down restaurant or high-level retailers, Mundt said. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

A new bakery/candy shop opened in downtown CB
The Sweet Stop offers jumbo cupcakes, homemade candy, doughnuts, cookies, ice cream, hot dogs, chips and cheese, and much more.

And it’s open seven days a week. On Mondays through Thursdays, the hours are 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Fridays and Saturdays, it’s open from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. and then reopens from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m.; and in Sundays, the shop is open from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.
http://southwestiowanews.com/articles/2 ... openCorner
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

100 Block Redevelopment

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Reposting:

New look coming to the Council Bluffs' oldest block
It will be a great addition to downtown Council Bluffs.
That’s how one official described the proposed three-story apartment/commercial building in the 100 block of West Broadway.

“There will be 36 units that will increase traffic downtown, along with additional businesses opening up,” said Amy Recker, executive director of the Pottawattamie County Development Corp. “It’s a huge step, a great addition for downtown Council Bluffs.”
The Iowa Department of Economic Development on Monday awarded a $2.35 million Community Development Block Grant to the City of Council Bluffs in care of PCDC for the project to be built on the grassy south side of the historic block just east of the Council Bluffs Chamber of Commerce building.
“We own all the land involved,” Recker said.

Parking will be available in the back, she added.
The main floor will offer 8,000 square feet of commercial space, Recker said.
The schedule calls for construction to start by early October and take a year to complete, she said.
http://www.southwestiowanews.com/counci ... 234c8.html
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

In other business, the council will hold a public hearing on a request from the owner of Rodeo Saloon and BBQ at the corner of Second Street and West Broadway for outdoor dining adjacent to the building.

The request calls for a five-year lease agreement to use the city’s walkway along Second Street for an 8-foot by 44-foot dining area that would hold up to 16 tables and 32 chairs. The business would pay the city $1,000 per year for the lease.

In 2011, the City Council gave the go-ahead for businesses on that historic block to install outdoor dining areas similar to what businesses in Omaha’s Old Market do. There are currently six businesses that have outdoor dining.
http://www.southwestiowanews.com/counci ... 6138e.html
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

A few photos of the Redeo Saloon. Great concept and look. It brings the total number of bars in the 100 block to 10

icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Proposed mixed use building inches forward in Council Bluffs
A proposed retail/apartment building in the 100 block of West Broadway continues to move forward with the Council Bluffs City Council Monday evening voting on two big development steps.

The council will be asked to approve a development agreement between the City and the land owner that would include tax increment financing, plus the use of a federal grant to help pay for the project, which involves a partnership between the Pottawattamie County Development Corp. and J Development. PCDC owns the land that is directly east of the new Chamber of Commerce building. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

New retail/apartment building on 100 block closer to reality
The Council Bluffs City Council Monday evening took action that moved a proposed retail/apartment building in the 100 block of West Broadway closer to reality.

The council approved a development agreement between the city and the land owner that would include tax increment financing, plus the use of a federal grant to help pay for the project, which involves a partnership between the Pottawattamie County Development Corporation and J Development Company. PCDC owns the land that is directly east of the Hughes-Irons building.

The two partners want to construct a three-story building with retail on the first floor that would face West Broadway with two stories facing Pierce Street. Retail space would occupy the Broadway first floor with 36 apartments on the two upper floors. A parking lot providing 80 spaces would be installed in the middle. Of the 36 apartments, 19 are to be set aside for government-required renting by moderate to low-income residents. . . .
The council was shown a preliminary version of the structure, though changes to better fit in with the historical nature of the block is expected.

--William Jennings Bryan
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Cool project!  CB is really putting together a nice downtown core area.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

I would love to see a more aggressive development on the Iowa side and am still perplexed as to why 90% of the area here is on the Nebraska side..
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Construction should start in May, she said, with the project calling for 26 one- and two-bedroom apartments on the upper two floors facing West Broadway with the first floor set aside for retail or office space. The Pierce Street side will feature 10 row houses. In the middle will be a parking garage with 38 stalls for the residents and the remainder for commercial uses.

http://www.nonpareilonline.com/news/loc ... 0d820.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Is this the lot just east of the RNG Gallery and Dixie Quicks?

Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Brad wrote:Is this the lot just east of the RNG Gallery and Dixie Quicks?

I am pretty sure it is; there is plenty of room.

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:Is this the lot just east of the RNG Gallery and Dixie Quicks?
Yes that is where it is going. Glad to see this project move forward. The article states that construction is starting in May but I didn't see an est. completion date. I would think it would be wrapped up by next summer.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Love how the hide the garage with more housing on the back side. This is a cool project.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:Love how the hide the garage with more housing on the back side.  This is a cool project.
+1
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Good write up on the 100 blocks transformation and place in the metro.

http://omahamagazine.com/2014/04/the-100-block/
“We see a lot more people from Omaha now,” Schlautman says of the neighborhood that now rivals Benson and Dundee as a trending cultural, dining, and entertainment hotspot. “The 100 Block has gone a long way in battling the misplaced stereotype of Council Bluffs being the wrong side of the tracks. There are beautiful old homes here, great public art all over the city, and all kinds of amazing things happening here, especially up and down this street right here.”
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Ground-breaking held for new apartments/retail space in Council Bluffs

Ground-breaking ceremonies were held Friday for a 36-unit, three-floor apartment/retail structure on the south side of the 100 block of West Broadway.

http://m.nonpareilonline.com/news/local ... l?mode=jqm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Work on the new apartment building is in full swing
Attachments
20140808_173628.jpg
20140808_173628.jpg (34.9 KiB) Viewed 7435 times
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

From J Development's fb:

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

New $9M Sawyer building — with its housing, retail and office space — joins the old in downtown Council Bluffs
Named for its roots as a lumberyard (a sawyer is a wood cutter), the Sawyer will include 26 apartments on two floors above the ground-level retail and office space. Those should be done by August.
The project also calls for 10 rental row houses to be built in the back, facing Pierce Street. Those should be done by October. In between will be a 75-stall parking deck for residents and commercial users.
Sounds like the two buildings to the east are going to be razed and the land redeveloped after this project is complete.

A few pictures of the block.

Thought this was a nice picture they posted.

And here is one from the 1940's:
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Sounds like they have a great vision for the area and are sticking to it. This will be exciting to watch.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Thanks for the photo update. I was over there 2 weekends ago and forgot to take a pic.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Looks nice! Perfect scale for that block.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Wow, that is coming along nicely! I haven't been down that way in months, I may have to bite the bullet and get up early for a breakfast at Duncan's.