34th and 1st Mixed Use Development

Including Iowa metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Gerald W. Kopiasz
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Gerald W. Kopiasz »

The other day while getting a quick bite to eat on Broadway, I noticed the demise of the Shady Hollow trailer park.  The remains of the trailers were in a pile, evidently waiting to be hauled off to Alters.  I have always been struck by the name of this trailer park.  I figure the demise of Shady Hollow shouldn't go unmentioned as Council Bluffs continues to reinvent itself.  Anybody know of any plans for this site?

Gerald
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

yeah, i saw that too.  A smile grew on my face and a tear welled up in my eye ;)  Sucks those people had to find alternate living arrangements but i hated to see such an eyesore.  I'm willing to bet that a large privacy fence goes up in the rear and that they build subsidized housing.  And, FWIW, subsidized houses aren't always boxy, unattractive looking dumps :)  There are quite a few that i have seen on heartland properties and key realestate, and they were good...except that i make too much too buy them (and i'm not rich...not even hood rich ;) )
Go Cubs Go
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

The City bought the property two months ago, not sure of their intent at this time.  Long-term, one of their goals for W. Broadway is to remove the Bunge grain elevator, which is just across the RR tracks from the trailer park.  There was even talk of utilizing those rails (once the grain elevators are gone) for a commuter rail line, but I don't know how seriously the City is looking at that.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

icejammer wrote:There was even talk of utilizing those rails (once the grain elevators are gone) for a commuter rail line, but I don't know how seriously the City is looking at that.
That would be awesome.  Even if the leave them "Just in case"

I thought they were still using the elevators?
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Brad wrote:I thought they were still using the elevators?
They are, but it's no secret the City would like to see them gone in the long-term.  Whether that's 2 years, 5 years, 20 years...it's anybody's guess at this point.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Railroad and Elevators to be Removed

Post by Brad »

Railroad and Elevators to be Removed

The railroad line that parallels West Broadway line will be removed by the UP.  The two Grain Elevators will be removed by Council Bluffs.

Read more here:
http://www.southwestiowanews.com/counci ... f887a.html

Could make room for a sizable development.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I think that would be great for some development...it sounds like they are looking more at residential development at this time.  Removing the tracks would also be nice through Thomas Jefferson High School.  I remember when students trying to get to other buildings on campus sometimes were late to classes when trains were traveling through.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

CNW "River Line" Removal - Council Bluffs

Another line disappears...

icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

They are, but it's no secret the City would like to see them gone in the long-term.  Whether that's 2 years, 5 years, 20 years...it's anybody's guess at this point.
Looks like 5 years was the magic number!

Council approves elevator demolitions
Those two vacant grain elevators along West Broadway will be coming down this year, courtesy of action Monday evening by the Council Bluffs City Council.

The five-member council gave its approval to seek bids for the demolition in order to prepare the land for future development. . .

--William Jennings Bryan
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Council Bluffs City Council to vote on Bunge elevator demolition

Removal of those vacant Bunge grain elevators along West Broadway could be coming closer to reality.

The Council Bluffs City Council on Monday evening will be asked to approve a bid by the Joplin, Mo., firm of Gator Industrial, L.L.C. for the demolition work.

“We recommend that the City of Council Bluffs accept the low bidder, Gator Industrials L.L.C. in the amount of $495,000,” he added. “This is a substantial savings from the next low bidder and the budget numbers.”

According to Don Gross, Community Development Department director, the demolition and land preparation will come in three phases and should be completed by early November. A large portion of the materials to be demolished will be recycled saving the city at least $250,000, he said.

http://www.southwestiowanews.com/counci ... 489bf.html
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Last days in the sun: Council OKs Bunge elevator demolition
From the Nonpareil:
the demolition will start later this month and be substantially completed in October....
After the elevators come down, the next phase will be the removal of contaminated soils in the first half of 2014 and, later on, the process will involve removal of any remaining hard surface, rock drives and parking areas, he said.

“This means we could look for redevelopment in 2015,”
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I noticed there was a large crane on site today...beginning the demolition of the elevators.
advcomp2019
Home Owners Association

Post by advcomp2019 »

Here is something on the Nonpareil:

http://www.southwestiowanews.com/counci ... 7f4ef.html
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:I noticed there was a large crane on site today...beginning the demolition of the elevators.
I got a photo of the demo the other night, but I haven't had time to post it yet.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update 7/27/2013

Photo Update 8/3/2013

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Holy buckets, some of those pictures look insane! I can't believe the way those huge chunks of concrete are just hanging there by the rebar...
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

RNcyanide wrote:Holy buckets, some of those pictures look insane! I can't believe the way those huge chunks of concrete are just hanging there by the rebar...
Yep, Rebar is come fairly crazy stuff.

One more from today.

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

How are they bringing them down?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Looks like they are using a crane with a wrecking ball..  :yes:
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

I drove past this today and its just about down to half its original height.. I also want to comment at how much better the view towards DTO will be once this is finally demolished.. I think it will end up doing wonders for the Broadway strip in beautifying.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

KETV reported on this project here:

https://www.ketv.com/article/new-mixed- ... t/29466698

Plans are found here, with plenty of renderings:

https://www.councilbluffs-ia.gov/Docume ... /View/6842

It took me a second to find the site, but its south of the Arby's on Broadway. Quite a few units planned, 90 2 beds, 42 1 bed, 12 studios, a whopping 80 micro units, and 40 townhomes. It's too bad they aren't incorporating residential in the retail/office space buildings, but maybe it's a zoning thing. Decent infill project just across the river from Downtown Omaha for a currently blank slate plot of land.
Brad
City Council

Re: 34th and 1st Mixed Use Development

Post by Brad »

Great infill project. I'm surprised it took this long for something to get going here.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Brad wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:50 pm Great infill project. I'm surprised it took this long for something to get going here.
Thanks for merging. I didn't know the history of this project site.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Great to see the land developed....I feel that there is quite a bit of potential for this in the market being so close to downtown Omaha. I am curious to see how quickly the apts at the old Playland Park area are absorbed.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Really like the massing and scale for this project. Having apartments on one side of a property that fronts a busier street and then rowhomes on the side of a neighborhood thoroughfare helps give context to neighborhoods and gives variety with "missing middle" housing. We're seeing this at Bluestone's new development in Morton meadows and I think it looks much nicer than if they had gone solely apartments. Are there any others in town with both apartments/row homes in the same project? Hope to see more in the future
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

I love it. This would be awesome for Council Bluffs, that stretch has been vacant forever. I'd love to see some of the types of retail we have in the city come back to the West end (rather than having it all located around manawa)
Go Cubs Go
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

There was a recommendation to convey land and enter agreement with White Lotus to develop in the last city counsel agenda. I think this is the same property.

https://councilbluffs.novusagenda.com/a ... tingID=399
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

ita wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:19 am There was a recommendation to convey land and enter agreement with White Lotus to develop in the last city counsel agenda. I think this is the same property.

If it is, the White Lotus development looks more like 1-2 story townhomes rather than 4-story apt buildings.
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

skinzfan23 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:54 am
ita wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:19 am There was a recommendation to convey land and enter agreement with White Lotus to develop in the last city counsel agenda. I think this is the same property.

If it is, the White Lotus development looks more like 1-2 story townhomes rather than 4-story apt buildings.
the 34th and 1st project is being developed by Knudtson Company of Council Bluffs. it will have the apartments. the White Lotus project will be east of it.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Thanks for the clarification.
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

the White Lotus project is at 28th and 2nd Ave.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Well if White Lotus is developing it I'm sure we can look forward to it opening sometime in 2030.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC