28th street development...or lack thereof

Including Iowa metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

thenewguy
County Board

28th street development...or lack thereof

Post by thenewguy »

Am i the only one that thinks an Aksarben-esque development would be awesome there (although, on a smaller scale)?  I stopped by KFC the other night and i was talking to my wife about why someone couldn't fix up broadway bowl (and change the name) and renovate the warehouse behind it and turn them into condos or apartments.  Then, tear down the old jubilee and put in some more apartments, shops (i'm sure radioshack would love to go in there :) ), bars and some sit down restaurants (aside from village inn, perkins, etc).  Build the apartments and/or condos almost right up to broadway, have a core of shops and restaurants visible in the core, but set back a little, and then that side of town could have that development (with hy-vee right down the road) and then the playland development to boot.  I think having some actual businesses in there would be nice, too.  Webdesign firm, bank, engineering office, etc.  Just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean that it can't be done, or shouldn't be done...  Am i alone here?  I think that'd do wonders for revitalizing WEST broadway.  |expletive|, the city may even be willing to bulldoze some of the houses still on broadway, just as a bonus :)
Go Cubs Go
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Nice idea.  Not sure anyone is going to puruse that idea until the old Omaha Standard site is completely revitalized and the Playland Park area takes off though.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan