Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Western Historic Trails Center

Post by Brad »

I thought we had a thread for this?

Western Trails Historic Center

http://lewisandclarktrail.com/section1/ ... ilsCenter/

I happened upon this while on a bike ride the other night.  Cool looking place, I have never been in, but I might need to stop by again when they are open and check it out.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Honestly, there's not much in there... other than a few bumper stickers and coffee mugs mocking Nebraska.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

The last time I was there, I didn't see any of the "offending" items. There's a nice interpretative display inside, and the grounds make for a nice walk.
There are plans to have bison on the prairie portion of the grounds, but depending on how the interstate reconstruction pans out, those plans may be squashed.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Re: Western Historic Trails Center

Post by Brad »

That lake hidden back in there was nice.

I need to head down there again and explore a few more of the trails.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Man. You and I did about the same ride just a day apart. I was there on Saturday. I also hadn't ever seen that place in person. It's interesting and the grounds are very nice.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

There was a quick mention on Grow Omaha this past weekend that the city of Council Bluffs is acquiring this property from the Federal Government. Not much detail other than they are trying to deicide how best to use it.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Curious to see how they change this. I haven't been there in quite a few years but this was always a peaceful place to walk and ride a bike and visit the education center.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Wow. Their web site looks great and informative....in 1998.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Maybe that’s why Council Bluffs wanted to take over. It’s a interesting facility, and could be a value, if well promoted.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

The thread about UP's museum got me thinking about this one. It's still closed. Seems like the exhibits could of been part of the National Parks Regional Office at the Riverfront. I know that was built after the museum, but seems redundant being in the same area.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I didn't know this was closed. It is a nice little museum but off the beaten path.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:27 pm I didn't know this was closed. It is a nice little museum but off the beaten path.
I think there is another thread somewhere. Its been closed a while. I believe the NPS was trying to transfer ownership to someone local (Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie County, etc).
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Brad wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:42 pm
skinzfan23 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:27 pm I didn't know this was closed. It is a nice little museum but off the beaten path.
I think there is another thread somewhere. Its been closed a while. I believe the NPS was trying to transfer ownership to someone local (Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie County, etc).
It's now being finalized to transfer title to Council Bluffs. There will still be a requirement to use the 189 acres for public recreation, education or similar purposes, so maybe expansion of the sports facilities already there?

https://councilbluffs.novusagenda.com/a ... tingID=611
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

i always thought it would have been great if they could incorporate the museum with a few live bison or something, small pond with some otters, small aquarium, etc. Draw people in with the animals, educate them once they are there.
Go Cubs Go
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

thenewguy wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:20 pm i always thought it would have been great if they could incorporate the museum with a few live bison or something, small pond with some otters, small aquarium, etc. Draw people in with the animals, educate them once they are there.
I don’t know, bison need a fair amount of space. And we don’t want to encourage the “Let’s pet the fluffy cow” crowd!