Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

bargainhunter
Library Board

Council Bluffs CVS

Post by bargainhunter »

http://southwestiowanews.com/articles/2 ... 801207.txt
CVS Pharmacy coming to Bluffs

Published: Monday, January 25, 2010 11:03 AM CST
The City Council will take the first step toward paving the way for construction of a CVS Pharmacy outlet in Council Bluffs during its regular meeting Monday night.

The council will be asked to approve replatting property currently owned by First Christian Church into a single lot that will be known as the CVS Addition. The property is located between Sixth Street and Kanesville Boulevard south of Washington Avenue.

Orange Development of Birmingham, Ala., is acquiring the First Christian Church in order to build a 13,225-square-foot CVS Pharmacy. Gayle Malmquist of the city’s Community Development Department said Orange Development is expected to close on the purchase of the church property next month.

The proposed replat is consistent with the 1994 Comprehensive Plan, which shows the area as downtown commercial, and the Downtown Redevelopment Plan, which identifies the area as a redevelopment opportunity for office or retail space.

The existing church buildings will be removed to make way for construction of the pharmacy
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

The existing church buildings will be removed to make way for construction of the pharmacy
Uh, is this church of any specific cultural or architectural significance?
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Omababe wrote:
Uh, is this church of any specific cultural or architectural significance?
I shouldn't think so, it's of newer style:

"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

That's a church?  Looks more like a school or crappy clinic to me.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Seth wrote:That's a church?  Looks more like a school or crappy clinic to me.
It think that's the educational wing.  The west half looks more like a church.
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

Yes, that is the educational wing.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

'60s |expletive|. I personally won't miss it.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Seth wrote:That's a church?  Looks more like a school or crappy clinic to me.
My guess, from seeing that photo, would have been a motel. :)
'60s |expletive|. I personally won't miss it.
Hmmmm ... 100 years in the future, will "vintage late 20th century architecture" ever make it to the National Register? :) :)
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

I noticed this morning that a chain link fence has been set up around the perimeter of the property.  Hopefully they will get going on this project.  The property has deteriorated fast.  There are weeds and broken windows.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

Cycled by there the other day.  Walls are going up.  I'd guess that by the end of September the structure will basically be "closed in."
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

i'm really upset that they didn't take into consideration the feel of the surrounding neighborhoods when choosing the design.  Seems to me that CVS just doesn't care about the feel of the area.
Go Cubs Go
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

thenewguy wrote:i'm really upset that they didn't take into consideration the feel of the surrounding neighborhoods when choosing the design.  Seems to me that CVS just doesn't care about the feel of the area.
Seems to me the neighbors didn't care.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

thenewguy wrote:i'm really upset that they didn't take into consideration the feel of the surrounding neighborhoods when choosing the design.  Seems to me that CVS just doesn't care about the feel of the area.
You were hoping for more of a run-down ghetto design?  I'm sure some of the neighbor kids can provide some graffiti soon enough.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Seth wrote:
Well they are building it on Brodway and not a few blocks south in Historic Downtown.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

OK guys, no need to drag the other CVS controversy into this.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

Brad wrote:
Seth wrote:
Well they are building it on Brodway and not a few blocks south in Historic Downtown.
I think it's north, actually.  Even so, it should be a boon to the neighborhood.

That church building sat there empty for - what - 3 or 4 years?  It was obvious that nobody was going to buy and use the building itself.  So this seems like a pretty great opportunity.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

:lol:

Just about anywhere in CB is arguably more walkable than 49th and Dodge. So, regardless of your sarcasm, there is an amount of relevance to it.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:'60s |expletive|. I personally won't miss it.
That is history, my friend. What a waste to tear it down. Throw in some apartments on the top floor, mid level office, and bottom floor CVS/retail.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Brad wrote:
Seth wrote:
Not to get picky, but it's being built on Kanesville Blvd, not Broadway.  Broadway would be part of the historic downtown area.

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

icejammer wrote:Not to get picky, but it's being built on Kanesville Blvd, not Broadway.  Broadway would be part of the historic downtown area.
Sorry, I thought it was just west of where the two merged.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

S33 wrote:
That is history, my friend. What a waste to tear it down. Throw in some apartments on the top floor, mid level office, and bottom floor CVS/retail.
Ha. I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic, but it's a damn box. There's nothing architecturally appealing about it. A kindergartener could have drawn the plans for this piece.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
S33 wrote:
Ha. I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic, but it's a darn box. There's nothing architecturally appealing about it. A kindergartener could have drawn the plans for this piece.
Yes. Honestly, I wish that era of architecture never happened. It's almost depressing to look at.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

S33 wrote:
:lol:

Just about anywhere in CB is arguably more walkable than 49th and Dodge. So, regardless of your sarcasm, there is an amount of relevance to it.

Kudos to S33 for recognizing my sarcasm :)  But yes, it will certainly be a good start in boosting the area up a smidge.  The area surrounding it is run down, so i only hope they can attract more clientele than what is directly north/west of it.
Go Cubs Go
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

Rode by there tonight on the motorcycle.  

It's getting close to being enclosed.  I assume they'll try to accomplish that before the snow flies, then spend the winter working the inside of the building.

That area of Co Bluffs (as well as a lot of others, for that matter) really needs something like this.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It may be close to enclosed, but its definitely not close to done.  Haven't even started the parking lot.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

Brad wrote:It may be close to enclosed, but its definitely not close to done.  Haven't even started the parking lot.
Yeah.  They'd have to bust their butts to get the parking lot poured before the snow flies.  I'd guess they're hoping to open some time early next summer.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

DeWalt wrote:
Brad wrote:It may be close to enclosed, but its definitely not close to done.  Haven't even started the parking lot.
Yeah.  They'd have to bust their butts to get the parking lot poured before the snow flies.  I'd guess they're hoping to open some time early next summer.
Baseball season starts in April.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

nativeomahan wrote:
DeWalt wrote:
Baseball season starts in April.
...and?
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

CVS has been open for a couple days now.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

New pharmacy in heart of Bluffs
A new pharmacy has recently opened in Council Bluffs, and it’s located right in the heart of town. . . .

“This is our 13th store in Iowa,” said company spokesman Mike DeAngelis. “We’re looking for opportunities to grow in this market. We’re a full service retail pharmacy, and we’re encouraged by the reception we’ve received.”

The Council Bluffs store features 13,225 square feet of shopping space, a typical size for the company, he said. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
Homebrewer
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Homebrewer »

I rarely see any cars besides the people that work there. But I don't drive by there often.