Chicago

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Re: Chicago

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Damn that guy does do good work
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

As mentioned elsewhere, 1,422 ft. tall building proposed to rise next to the Tribune Tower in Chicago, becoming the second tallest.

1,422-foot Tribune Tower addition would be Chicago’s second tallest building

OMA-->CHI-->NYC
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I'm so glad to see much a gorgeous addition to the Chicago skyline, thanks for posting this! It's make the Trump tower look so obsolete and diminutive.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Friggin awesome...
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Chicago’s skyline has always wowed me, ever since my first visit on a high school science trip in the 1970s.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Chicago just approved a combined $1.6 Billion in TIF for two massive mixed use developments. Lincoln Yards and The 78.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

iamjacobm wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:42 pm Chicago just approved a combined $1.6 Billion in TIF for two massive mixed use developments. Lincoln Yards and The 78.
Are you serious?!
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

RockHarbor wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:13 pm
iamjacobm wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:42 pm Chicago just approved a combined $1.6 Billion in TIF for two massive mixed use developments. Lincoln Yards and The 78.
Are you serious?!
Yep. $900 Million in TIF for Lincoln Yards which is on the northside on some old industrial sites along the river. I don't remember the specifics off the top of my head, but over 50 acres and 5 billion total investment.

The master plan: https://www.lincolnyards.com/sites/defa ... 9_web3.pdf

The 78 just south of the Loop got $700 Million in TIF approved. Supposed to turn this:

Into this:

Our friends that have actually lived in Chicago recently probably have more detailed information than myself.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

When we took a river cruise in Chicago a few years ago, they were mentioning how that whole area of south of the downtown loop was going to be redeveloped.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Exciting. That will make the skyline look even longer from a distance.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Love this view of the towering, black-as-coal, upright, glass & steel Willis/Sears Tower with the city beyond: https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/NGyNxFY ... ne_1.0.jpg

Great views of Chicago: http://yochicago.com/downtown-chicago-a ... ist/53944/

More great views: http://yochicago.com/apartments-with-gr ... oop/53099/

More: http://yochicago.com/chicago-views-from-the-west/31223/

This pictures totally captures Midwest Chicago (the brick, the grit, the heat, the trees, the skyscrapers). I can just "feel Chicago" here: https://c8.alamy.com/comp/M2D5AA/aerial ... M2D5AA.jpg

The city has such glorious urban density leading up to its skyscraper-studded skyline of the downtown area:

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/DYE6G2/aerial ... DYE6G2.jpg
https://c8.alamy.com/comp/DYE6EY/aerial ... DYE6EY.jpg

Chicago is SUCH a true "city." :)
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

Nice article about several proposed or under construction 800+ ft tall towers in Chicago, with renderings.

A look at the new skyscrapers that will forever change Chicago’s skyline

Some highlights:
Vista Tower - 1,198 feet, mixed-use condo/hotel tower
Bank of America Tower - 817 feet, office
One Chicago - two towers one shared podium with tallest being 969 feet, residential with Whole Foods
1000M - 813 feet, condo tower
Lakeshore East Parcel I - 950 feet, condo tower
GrowUpFrances
Home Owners Association

Post by GrowUpFrances »

Soldier Field Reimagined:
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

GrowUpFrances wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:49 pm Soldier Field Reimagined:
At least as of now, the team doesn't seem to be interested in this option:

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/202301 ... hayes-says
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Seems the biggest factor is the team wanting to own the stadium. Currently only 4 teams (Pats, Panthers, Dolphins, Commanders) own their stadiums. The rest rent.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

How new Bears president Kevin Warren affects Arlington Heights stadium plans

Four months after Ted Phillips announced his retirement as Bears president/CEO, the team found his replacement. The Bears announced on Thursday that Kevin Warren will lead the organization moving forward. One of the first questions on many people’s minds is likely, “How will this hire affect the Bears’ move to Arlington Heights?” It may be surprising, but the answer is really, “Not at all.”

Technically the Bears still need to close on their purchase agreement for Arlington Park, but the team has made it clear that moving to the suburbs is their singular focus in regards to the Bears’ next home. Bears chairman George McCaskey said in a town hall meeting back in September that the team will not explore any other options for a new stadium besides Arlington Park while the team is under contract to purchase the property. The city can publish as many flashy renderings of a dome at Soldier Field as they like, the Bears aren’t interested.

The key is that Arlington Park provides the Bears an opportunity to own their own land, as opposed to leasing Soldier Field from the city. By purchasing and developing their own property, the Bears can raise the value of their organization astronomically. That opportunity is too good to pass up.

Expert says odds that Bears will move to Arlington Heights are '90-plus'

The Bears unveiled potential plans for a new stadium in Arlington Heights Tuesday, while Mayor Lori Lightfoot talked about more plans to keep the team from "abandoning" Chicago.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Personally I'm not too hurt about them moving to Arlington Heights. I'm not sure that its really worth the city's while to try and keep them. I've heard there's not a great benefit there.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Inside Chicago's $8.5BN Airport Rebuild

O'Hare is finally getting a major upgrade. See how Egnyte helps teams deliver complex infrastructure projects like this - https://bit.ly/3gf1iov

Full story here - https://theb1m.com/video/chicago-ohar...

This video contains paid promotion for Egnyte. Find out how AEC firms are using it to protect and unify their project content - https://bit.ly/3gf1iov
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

Coyote wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:38 am Inside Chicago's $8.5BN Airport Rebuild

O'Hare is finally getting a major upgrade. See how Egnyte helps teams deliver complex infrastructure projects like this - https://bit.ly/3gf1iov

This video contains paid promotion for Egnyte. Find out how AEC firms are using it to protect and unify their project content - https://bit.ly/3gf1iov
This is one of my favorite YouTube creators! Great videos on construction, architecture, and the built environment all around the world.
#gohawks
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Yeah the B1M puts out some interesting content for sure. Very detailed and well researched.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Just thought this was a cool shot. So much development in the West Loop.

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Coyote wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:38 am Inside Chicago's $8.5BN Airport Rebuild

I'm excited for this project. Terminal 2 is terribly bland and old and not a pleasing place to be. This will be a huge improvement.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

Just got back from a 4-day trip to Chicago and did all the touristy things. Cool town.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

God I must be getting old because i only know 2 of those bands/artists
Go Cubs Go
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

thenewguy wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:13 pm God I must be getting old because i only know 2 of those bands/artists
I dunno, theres only about a half dozen I recognize. Perhaps someone under 30 can help here, but this lineup seems more like a Maha or Outlandia lineup than a typical Lolla lineup.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I am not the biggest fan of Lolla's lineup this year, but it's certainly not comparable to Maha or Outlandia...

The above schedule is just one of the 4 days and The 1975 and Kendrick are huge acts. They would both play at CHI if they came to town. It's pretty clear they are leaning more into the edm/house/hip hop/whatever you want to classify that genre b/c someone like Fred Again probably would have been on Perry's stage instead of the main stage a few years ago. The only other two today I'd be really interested in seeing for this Friday lineup are 30 Seconds to Mars for nostalgia's sake and Foals b/c they rule.

The rest of the festival has names like Billie Eilish, Odesza, Lana Del Rey, and Red Hot Chili Peppers. Those are huge artists.

Smaller acts like Foals, Lainey Wilson, Portugal the Man, Maggie Rodgers, Pusha T, Sylvan Esso, Alvvays would all be up my alley. I am sure to someone like my sister that is into more of the electronic stuff thee are probably another dozen acts she would say are great.

This festival probably isn't for my music tastes anymore, but it's still a major event.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

iamjacobm wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:38 pm I am not the biggest fan of Lolla's lineup this year, but it's certainly not comparable to Maha or Outlandia...

The above schedule is just one of the 4 days and The 1975 and Kendrick are huge acts. They would both play at CHI if they came to town. It's pretty clear they are leaning more into the edm/house/hip hop/whatever you want to classify that genre b/c someone like Fred Again probably would have been on Perry's stage instead of the main stage a few years ago. The only other two today I'd be really interested in seeing for this Friday lineup are 30 Seconds to Mars for nostalgia's sake and Foals b/c they rule.

The rest of the festival has names like Billie Eilish, Odesza, Lana Del Rey, and Red Hot Chili Peppers. Those are huge artists.

Smaller acts like Foals, Lainey Wilson, Portugal the Man, Maggie Rodgers, Pusha T, Sylvan Esso, Alvvays would all be up my alley. I am sure to someone like my sister that is into more of the electronic stuff thee are probably another dozen acts she would say are great.

This festival probably isn't for my music tastes anymore, but it's still a major event.
Oh geez, I didn't even realize this was only one day's schedule. That makes wayyy more sense.
Flyer14
Home Owners Association

Post by Flyer14 »

Returned from another Chicago trip, the architecture continues to amaze me every trip! The city has plenty of issues going on that I hope can be contained because I would love to see this city return to the top of architecture and innovation.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

Flyer14 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:51 pm Returned from another Chicago trip, the architecture continues to amaze me every trip! The city has plenty of issues going on that I hope can be contained because I would love to see this city return to the top of architecture and innovation.
The entire CTA board needs to be replaced by individuals who will take their job seriously, the city needs to sue their way out of the parking deal with Goldman Sachs, and bike lanes need to become a priority. These are my top transportation priorities for the city, and I know there are other issues unrelated to transit.

Other than that, the city is not doing too shabby right now. I was just there, and haven’t seen the loop as busy as it was since before the pandemic. There is still lots of construction in various neighborhoods (although like almost every city, they need to fast-track housing construction process to stay affordable).
#gohawks
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I have had several clients and friends recently state that the loop is a ghost town. I love Chicago but haven’t been since 2018. I am pretty sure covid and work from home have hurt large cities much more than small to mid-size cities.
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

skinzfan23 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:00 pm I have had several clients and friends recently state that the loop is a ghost town. I love Chicago but haven’t been since 2018. I am pretty sure covid and work from home have hurt large cities much more than small to mid-size cities.
I was downtown September 2022 on a Friday afternoon with beautiful weather. It was by no means crowded especially for the nations 3rd largest city. Millennium park was about the most crowded part, the financial district “Loop” was very quiet. Didn’t get downtown in 2023 so unsure if it’s gotten any better.

I had heard Friday is about the deadest day of the week in DT Chicago, as most workers choose that day to stay home. Be interesting to find out if things have improved in 2023. It was strange being down there without the hustle and bustle.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I was in Chicago at the end of November and again end of December in 2022. Spent time on each on Michigan Avenue and it was hopping both times I was there. It was definitely busy in the stores and restaurants that we went to. It is a bummer that the Macy's at Water Tower Place is closed. A bunch of stores in Water Tower Place closed as well. Though the stores on the street up and down Michigan Avenue all seemed open. I don't remember any vacancies.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

I've made a couple trips back this year. Went to the Loop a couple times. Traffic maybe seemed a little down in the CBD, but business as usual in the touristy parts. It was by no means a ghost town.

Was there for Thanksgiving too and walked around Michigan Avenue Thanksgiving Day. It's a pretty surreal feeling walking around Michigan Avenue with nobody around but people walking their dogs and nothing open.
buildomaha wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:51 pm [...]and bike lanes need to become a priority. These are my top transportation priorities for the city, and I know there are other issues unrelated to transit.
I can't speak to expansion, but they have been upgrading all their bike lanes to protected bike lanes.
Last edited by TitosBuritoBarn on Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

I'll say broadly speaking for most cities, downtowns are quieter than they used to be, but neighborhoods are more lively than they used to be.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Flyer14
Home Owners Association

Post by Flyer14 »

Our friend that lives North of downtown now goes into work three days a week. She said it seems in this past year a lot more people have a hybrid model. For instance last year when she went in she never had to wait for a bus with space but more recently had 7 full buses pass her stop. Everywhere we went shops, bars, and restaurants seemed active, but it was also the holiday season and that could have been a factor.