Denver & Colorado Springs

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

thenewguy
County Board

Denver & Colorado Springs

Post by thenewguy »

Anyone have any ideas on a good area to get a hotel in for Denver?  We're going to Colorado Springs for a couple days and then going to zip up to Denver for a couple, and we're curious about good spots for hotels.  Some parts of town are better than others...  Also, what are some good things to do?  We are going to Garden of the Gods, Cave of the Winds, Royal Gorge, and maybe Seven Falls (in co-springs).  We just haven't figured out what we could do in Denver.  We're a little limited because of our 1 year old, so please keep that in mind if you have suggestions :)  Since so many of you have been out that way, i feel that you'll be able to give some good feed back.  Thanks!
Go Cubs Go
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

What price range are you looking at?
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Coyote wrote:What price range are you looking at?
I'm open to many---i've found some on travel sites for 30 a night.  Some are (obviously) like 300/night.  I found one i like in the cherry creek area, can't remember the price, but i wanted to see if anyone knew some areas before i booked.
Go Cubs Go
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Cherry Creek is a very nice area.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

So of these, how do they rate?  downtown, lakewood, golden, cherry creek, aurora, centennial tech-center.  There are hotels by the airport but i ruled that out already.
Go Cubs Go
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

thenewguy wrote:So of these, how do they rate?  downtown, lakewood, golden, cherry creek, aurora, centennial tech-center.  There are hotels by the airport but i ruled that out already.
Yes, the new airport area should only be used for air travel convenience. Personally I would rule Golden and Centennial (depending where) out. From the places you mentioned Aurora (being an east suburb) just seems off your trail.
Lakewood is a nice suburb but depending again on the location, and nothing special.
Cherry Creek has good shopping areas and good restaurants.
Downtown - if you are close to the 16th St Mall http://www.denver.com/16th-street-mall/
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

For hotels, Lakewood and Wheatridge will probably be the most economical and still a good "home base" for your Denver visit. Easy access to downtown and the interstates as well as the mountains. Plus, you're close to Casa Bonita (Cartman's fave restaurant in the world). A one year old wouldn't get much out of Elitch Gardens 6 Flags, but it's still a good time.
In the Springs area, the Royal Gorge is up in Canon City and the drive is awesome and beautiful... but the Gorge bridge is a pricey visit and has turned more into an amusement park than when I was a kid. But, that's a good thing for families.
CAve of the winds scares the snot out of little kids, but it's a cool visit.
The Air Force Academy is a great place for self guided walking tours (limited access, of course). If you're a history buff, the Goldwater visitor center is a real good place to kill an hour or more.
If you like outlet malls, the one at Castle Rock, between the Springs and Denver is world class.

If you're driving out to Denver, stop at the rest stop at Sterling, Colorado. They have a real good selection of tourist brochures and Denver and Colorado Springs both put out some really nice and massive guides.

An easy side trip from Denver would be Boulder. The downtown pedestrian mall is renowned for great street performers, plus some excellent and eclectic shopping... from practical to downright silly.

Have fun!!!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Another Colorado Springs activity that my family enjoyed a year ago was a tour of the Olympic training facility.  Starts with a guided tour and they you can do a self guided walk around of some areas.  We spent more time there than we would have ever guessed we would.

Candleshoe wrote:For hotels, Lakewood and Wheatridge will probably be the most economical and still a good "home base" for your Denver visit. Easy access to downtown and the interstates as well as the mountains. Plus, you're close to have Bonita (Cartman's fave restaurant in the world). A one year old wouldn't get much out of Elitch Gardens 6 Flags, but it's still a good time.
In the Springs area, the Royal Gorge is up in Canon City and the drive is awesome and beautiful... but the Gorge bridge is a pricey visit and has turned more into an amusement park than when I was a kid. But, that's a good thing for families.
CAve of the winds scares the snot out of little kids, but it's a cool visit.
The Air Force Academy is a great place for self guided walking tours (limited access, of course). If you're a history buff, the Goldwater visitor center is a real good place to kill an hour or more.
If you like outlet malls, the one at Castle Rock, between the Springs and Denver is world class.

If you're driving out to Denver, stop at the rest stop at Sterling, Colorado. They have a real good selection of tourist brochures and Denver and Colorado Springs both put out some really nice and massive guides.

An easy side trip from Denver would be Boulder. The downtown pedestrian mall is renowned for great street performers, plus some excellent and eclectic shopping... from practical to downright silly.

Have fun!!!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

thanks everyone!
Go Cubs Go
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Let s know what you end up seeing and doing after you get back
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

nebugeater wrote:Let s know what you end up seeing and doing after you get back
We're thinking of staying at the VQ hotel in denver---has anyone stayed there?  It looks really nice, and i can get a sweet deal online.  There are some in Cherry Creek, and it seems to be alright but there aren't as many options that are nice & a good price.  Even though we're just going to be sleeping there, i still want to feel like i'm not staying somewhere that doesn't clean as often, in a bad area, etc (not that cherry creek is).
Go Cubs Go